Updated rooms are boring!

mf1972

the all stars were overdue for the update. my only complaint was that it made the room feel more tight & cramped. lately we’ve been staying at POFQ. while a little bland, the update was quite nice.

Weather_Lady

I prefer subtle theming and soft colors to the more cartoonish and clashing designs of the past, which screamed "1980s/90s" to me, regardless of what the theme was supposed to be. From both a functional and decorative standpoint, I also like the switch from the old, ugly fold-out sofas to attractively-framed and far-more-comfy Murphy beds in many rooms and studios.

However, I agree that many of the newer rooms (with a few notable exceptions, like Grand Floridan and Polynesian) look UNTHEMED, UNIFISHED and CHEAP, with over-reliance on vinyl flooring with no area rugs to add soundproofing and a splash of color, Wayfair-grade furniture of the formica-covered-particleboard variety, and an absence of fun theming details, even subtle ones (sorry Disney, but a peel-and-stick mural here and there does not a cohesive theme make!). Plus, the lack of bespoke decorative pillows or bed scarves (often pictured in room photos on the Disney website, but long abandoned by the time anyone checks in) make the white-on-white beds look more like a pop-up medical clinic at the Motel 6 (because I'm sure that's a thing, LOL!), than a luxurious place to sleep. And how is it, after all this time, that Disney still hasn't figured out how include enough bathroom towel hangers/bars or entryway coathooks to reasonably accommodate the number of guests staying in a room?

And while I'm totally aware of how nit-picky these kinds of complaints sound, from me or anyone else, I do think that guests who are paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars more to stay onsite have earned the right to judge whether they're getting the benefit of their bargain, even if their opinions on the matter will inevitably be wide-ranging and diverse.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I prefer subtle theming and soft colors to the more cartoonish and clashing designs of the past, which screamed "1980s/90s" to me, regardless of what the theme was supposed to be. From both a functional and decorative standpoint, I also like the switch from the old, ugly fold-out sofas to attractively-framed and far-more-comfy Murphy beds in many DVC studios.

However, I agree that many of the newer rooms (with a few notable exceptions, like Grand Floridan and Polynesian) look UNTHEMED, UNIFISHED and CHEAP, with over-reliance on vinyl flooring with no area rugs, Wayfair-grade furniture of the formica-covered-particleboard variety, and an absence of fun theming details, even subtle ones (sorry Disney, but a peel-and-stick mural here and there does not a cohesive theme make!). Plus, the lack of bespoke decorative pillows or bed throws (often pictured in room photos on the Disney website, but long abandoned by the time anyone checks in) make the white-on-white beds look more like a pop-up medical clinic at the Motel 6 (because I'm sure that's a thing, LOL!), than a luxurious place to sleep.

And while I'm totally aware of how nit-picky these kinds of complaints sound, from me or anyone else, I do think that guests who are paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars more to stay onsite have earned the right to judge whether they're getting the benefit of their bargain, even if their opinions on the matter will inevitably be wide-ranging and diverse.
I agree…thanks to friends with DVC points, we’ve stayed at the GF, BW & Saratoga in the last 3 years…I’ve never been a deluxe frou-frou kinda guy-clean bed, working TV and a shower that works with hot water and I’m a happy camper…I’m happy at POP or AoA…I’m not in the resort enough to care…BUT I do agree, the frou-frou is just frou now…

Smugpugmug

I had never noticed it until on the monorail 2 weeks ago…

That’s stuffs a joke, right?!
Unfortunately I wish those rooms were a joke.
What they did to those rooms is both boring and cheap...it's not "theme". Again it's the kind of thing you can do with your kids room with some vinyl stickers you order from Amazon vs real custom themed furniture and lighting.
No disagreement here. I'm kind of surprised at how bad those rooms look in comparison to the Polynesian ones which I think are quite nice. They do a way better job balancing the IP and the original theming of the hotel in my opinion.

The Incredibles rooms look WAY too bad for $900/night rooms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait…what?
That’s a guess

But it’s a valid hunch. Disney has NEVER been a willing Hotel operator. They’re ok at it…but not financially Efficient. No matter what they charge…they eat it in overhead to feed the beast.

It would be wiser…and I have seen those books - though dated…to outsource and collect rich, low overhead percentages and licensing cuts

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

That’s a guess

But it’s a valid hunch. Disney has NEVER been a willing Hotel operator. They’re ok at it…but not financially Efficient. No matter what they charge…they eat it in overhead to feed the beast.

It would be wiser…and I have seen those books - though dated…to outsource and collect rich, low overhead percentages and licensing cuts
Hmm. I am trying to think how that would affect the interplay with DVC (which has also been floated as a sales option) and the overall profitability with P&R.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hmm. I am trying to think how that would affect the interplay with DVC (which has also been floated as a sales option) and the overall profitability with P&R.
Just my opinion…but throwing everything into dvc has always been kinda evidence of just how much they don’t like being a hotelier…
They detest the traditional service formula.

But we’re a long way off. The first bulk - bout half - of dvc all ends in 2042. So they have 10 years until hard decisions have to start being made.

And that’s if TWDC lasts that long.

Iger is failing and an egomaniac. You think he wouldn’t sell his soul to apple to try claim “victory”?

if you don’t…you haven’t been watching.

EPCOT-O.G.

Just my opinion…but throwing everything into dvc has always been kinda evidence of just how much they don’t like being a hotelier…
They detest the traditional service formula.

But we’re a long way off. The first bulk - bout half - of dvc all ends in 2042. So they have 10 years until hard decisions have to start being made.

And that’s if TWDC lasts that long.

Iger is failing and an egomaniac. You think he wouldn’t sell his soul to apple to try claim “victory”?

if you don’t…you haven’t been watching.
Oh I laid a marker back in November.

I do think broadly speaking this is what happens when a company becomes more tech oriented. Pesky things like physical retail spaces and service industry stuff becomes comparatively costly and inefficient. Like Netflix doing away with their core business before going full into streaming.

I’ve just always viewed the parks and resorts as intertwined. Trying to navigate how they could spin off the resorts separately

SamandplanningUK

Original Poster
Can I ask anyone who's stayed recently if you find the noise from neighbouring rooms more obvious with the lack of carpeting?

Also, I'd like to clarify that for me some of the point of staying in a Disney owned resort on property (as opposed to The Swan or Dolphin) was the theming, I remember our first stay ever at CBR and we were so excited to find the room themed, it was immediate Disney-ness for your holiday and the kids loved it! I feel a bit sorry for the families whose first stay is in one of the lacklustre new rooms.

maemae74

Disney's middle name now is GO CHEAP SAVE A BUCK the masses will accept anything
The masses are idiots which is why we are where we are in most things in life and not just with boring cheaply done WDW resort rooms. I lost all hope in humanity when Casey Anthony walked free. That's when I realized my peers were idiots! Group think with social media sprinkled in will be what ends the world. ;)

maemae74

Exactly why there’s no hardwood floors in our home…I can’t whisper with carpeting…I’d hate to see my voice travel without it lol…I understand it’s less maintenance (and more hygienic), but I prefer the carpeting.
I agree! Also it wasn't plush carpeting but it was enough to not feel so hospital room like, pretty east to keep clean and cheap enough to replace when needed. The vinyl fake wood flooring they are switching to gives me remodeled section 8 housing feels.

Smiley/OCD

I agree! Also it wasn't plush carpeting but it was enough to not feel so hospital room like, pretty east to keep clean and cheap enough to replace when needed. The vinyl fake wood flooring they are switching to gives me remodeled section 8 housing feels.
Yup, the carpeting that came off the giant rolls at Home Depot…carpeting so bad, the bed bugs won’t even burrow into it…

dreday3

Hardwoood floors are the best. Full rooms of carpeting only belong in a bedroom and even then I'd rather have wood floors.
We have (original, very old building) hardwood throughout with various area rugs that give great pops of color.

The Disney rooms understandably aren't going to be real hardwood (way too loud, vinyl not nearly as noisy), but the new look could be helped with area rugs under the beds. I thought GF rooms did this?

Weather_Lady

The Disney rooms understandably aren't going to be real hardwood (way too loud, vinyl not nearly as noisy), but the new look could be helped with area rugs under the beds. I thought GF rooms did this?
They did, and it looks lovely.

2021-wdw-walt-disney-world-disneys-grand-floridian-resort-and-spa-DVC-new-rooms-Resort-Studio.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom