Update: Escape From Tomorrow

Sped2424

Probably the best strategy, unless they fear this will open the floodgates to to a whole spate of would-be stealth filmmakers.
Like these folks.
Even if that were the case, I can't imagine Disney wanting to police what looks like normal guest behavior.
Whats super hard is how to you defer from actors and camera to a family having a good time. Also that video came out WAYYYYYY before escape tomorrow did. If anything they inspired escape from tomorrow.

puntagordabob

Swell so when I video take the parks for my scenery "Disney Windows" video picture frame project I might be questioned because of these morons making that escape tomorrow crap movie? Those types of folks should be kicked for ruining the enjoyment of others by their inconsiderate actions.

Bairstow

Swell so when I video take the parks for my scenery "Disney Windows" video picture frame project I might be questioned because of these morons making that escape tomorrow crap movie? Those types of folks should be kicked for ruining the enjoyment of others by their inconsiderate actions.

I really doubt Disney is going to start cracking down on people who film and take pictures.
That's a losing battle if there ever was one.
The only way I see their actually paying any attention is if you had someone filming people who were obviously actors going through a scene multiple times.

Wilt Dasney

I really doubt Disney is going to start cracking down on people who film and take pictures.
That's a losing battle if there ever was one.
The only way I see their actually paying any attention is if you had someone filming people who were obviously actors going through a scene multiple times.
Yes. These people succeeded because they thoroughly fooled Disney into thinking they were regular people. That can't have been very easy to do. Anybody else who wants to try something similar is going to have to hit that same high bar. That really eliminates all but the most dedicated, organized, and intelligent amateur filmmakers from being able to copy their success.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney knows about the 'Streisand Effect", A while back the CA coastal commission photographed the entire coastline of CA for a survey, Babs was incensed since her privacy was 'invaded' so she sued which caused everyone to look at pics of her estate, If she had not sued the photos would have gone unnoticed and historians would look at them in a few decades if ever.

Bairstow

Interesting interview up on Aint it Cool News: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64506

Nordling: Some of the shots you got in the film obviously got under the radar, some of the shots with the empty places. How did you all do that? Nobody jumped the fence.

Randy Moore: No, no. I wish we had a really good story behind that, but the truth is we just got there really early in the morning, with the crowd, got to the front of the line and when they opened the gate we ran ahead. We did this every day for a week. We had about 10 to 15 seconds of empty parks. I was operating a camera, Lucas was operating a camera, AC was operating a camera, we all had stations that we went to. Today we're going to get Spaceship Earth and you're going to go get the Universe of Energy or whatever. We just did, we had 15 seconds before the whole crowd would rush into our shot from behind us, and that was it for the day. We'd go on and do the rest of our stuff. It's like the fireworks scene, we shot the scene where he's running around the lake with the fireworks every single night while we were in Orlando. That was the closing of our night, every night. Obviously the fireworks are only 10 minutes, but we had a lot of shots and angles to cover.

Nordling: I didn't find the movie thumbs its nose at Disney so much, but it's not so much an indictment of Disney as it is just-

Randy Moore: The experience of going.

Nordling: The experience of Disney and, it's kind of an indictment of middle America in a way. It's like the Mecca-

Randy Moore: It is the Mecca that Americans go to before we die.

MOXOMUMD

While making this they had someone in a wheelchair and someone on an ECV that didn't really need one just so they could film this? And he says all CMs are slightly demented? What an idiot.

Bairstow

While making this they had someone in a wheelchair and someone on an ECV that didn't really need one just so they could film this? And he says all CMs are slightly demented? What an idiot.
Doesn't really bother me.
Sounds like a clever way to get steady, low-angle shots without drawing suspicion.

GrumpyFan

And he says all CMs are slightly demented? What an idiot.

I have no doubt about that! Most of us probably would be too if we had to deal with the likes of which visit the parks daily.
Let's face it, a lot of people tend to leave their brains at home when they visit WDW and do stupid things while there.
If that wouldn't drive you crazy and/or a bit demented, I don't know what would. Plus, there's that music... and the long term exposure to Pixie dust...

BuddyThomas

I have no doubt about that! Most of us probably would be too if we had to deal with the likes of which visit the parks daily.
Let's face it, a lot of people tend to leave their brains at home when they visit WDW and do stupid things while there.
If that wouldn't drive you crazy and/or a bit demented, I don't know what would. Plus, there's that music... and the long term exposure to Pixie dust...
I haven't seen it yet but I will. It looks cool! Very David Lynch. If it's not your thing, that's cool too. Don't watch it.

But I kind of take issue with people condemning something they have never seen as trash. That is a fairly ignorant standpoint. If you see it and still think its trash, that's another story entirely, but I don't see how an uninformed opinion has any merit. Plus, if I was a betting man, I'd bet that most of the people saying what trash it is without having seem it are going to be the first ones lowering their shades and buying the VOD when it is available.

bgraham34

I haven't seen it yet but I will. It looks cool! Very David Lynch. If it's not your thing, that's cool too. Don't watch it.

But I kind of take issue with people condemning something they have never seen as trash. That is a fairly ignorant standpoint. If you see it and still think its trash, that's another story entirely, but I don't see how an uninformed opinion has any merit. Plus, if I was a betting man, I'd bet that most of the people saying what trash it is without having seem it are going to be the first ones lowering their shades and buying the VOD when it is available.

I have watched the film and I can tell you its not very good. While its interesting to watch how they filmed around the parks the film itself is terrible.

Jimmy Thick

The general consensus among the general public and more reputable film reviewers from early reviews is the movie is completely embarrassingly bad. Wonder if they spent more time, energy and creativity in figuring out how to film the movie in Disney World than actually making a mediocre film.

Now we see why Disney laughed this one off, it appears the filmmakers were depending on the David verse Goliath publicity from Disney and without it, not even a GAC can get this in anyone's queue.

Jimmy Thick- Payola alive and well in these modern times.

Jimmy Thick

GrumpyFan

A couple of fun quotes from that article and the reason why he decided to film it at Disney:

“I wasn’t going after Disney as much as the experience of Disney and what it means to our culture,” says Moore. “For so many people, it’s become like a religion, and when you visit the theme parks, it’s like going to church.”

He pauses and laughs.

“One day during filming, we were sitting next to this woman with her children, and she was screaming at her daughter, saying, ‘Disney is also for mommies!’
She was basically saying: Don’t **** up this trip for me, because I want the magic, too.”
And, of course, like any "religion", if you attack it you're going to get people who despise you for it, and others who applaud you.

It's almost a shame the movie isn't better, because I think he's on to something. It would be interesting to take a few families and document/film their entire trip to Disney, from start to finish. People do Disney in such different ways, and I think it would be fun, if not difficult sometimes, to watch how others do it. It could be a new reality TV show.

BuddyThomas

The general consensus among the general public and more reputable film reviewers from early reviews is the movie is completely embarrassingly bad. Wonder if they spent more time, energy and creativity in figuring out how to film the movie in Disney World than actually making a mediocre film.

Now we see why Disney laughed this one off, it appears the filmmakers were depending on the David verse Goliath publicity from Disney and without it, not even a GAC can get this in anyone's queue.

Jimmy Thick- Payola alive and well in these modern times.
Except that this is not exactly true. For a low budget horror film it has a surprisingly high rating on Rotten Tomatoes. And Variety, a very respectable publication, practically gave it a rave. Again, I have not yet seen it and when I do I may well agree it is a pile of garbage, but those claiming it is that without seeing it can't really be taken seriously .

Bairstow

An interview piece is up on Vice, but it's not terribly interesting.
There's no real "behind the scenes" footage here and most of the opinions in the interview have been covered elsewhere.

The filmaker's approach here reminds me a lot of Our Kingdom of Dust.
Did anyone else read that one?

7380.Dust_2D00_1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom