Update: Escape From Tomorrow

backinaction

I tweeted Roy(the main character of the film) to ask about the ending. This was his response after I questioned him about the ending.
c9b0b91a7d83e655c13c3757fb198a38_normal.jpeg

12 Oct
open to interpretation. I think i die. evacuating my soul in the toilet... I was rotting inside ..sick in my soul . Live on a New reality

yensid67

I just watched this 'movie' and I will say one thing...don't waste your time or money. I enjoyed that it was SUPPOSE to be a film about a day at WDW, BUT if you are a WDW fan you will notice the use of Disneyland in almost half of the film. For example, they were riding the Tea Cups, but it had no roof! The shot in front of It's a Small World, was in DL and not WDW. Most of us that are true to WDW will know that they were not taken in WDW during the 'movie', but rather edited together with WDW shots. On a Reels scale, I give this 'movie' 2 Reels! If you are still curious, and want a wild ride, watch it and then draw your own conclusions!

javy2004

I tried to find the specific interview I read a week or so ago about it, but the director said that shooting magic kingdom and disneyland as one park was a conscious decision artistically, but I'm sure there were budgetary reasons for it as well. To most that have spent much time at the parks, I feel its easy to tell what's shot at a Disney location and whats being shot in a stand in location or on green screen. I thought it was trippy and kind of cool how it turned out. Reminds me of what would be a modern day twilight zone episode. the change in music and film for attractions like soarin' IASW and grand fiesta tour etc. gave it a more surreal vibe. My brain associates those attractions with the audio that goes with it and I felt thrown off hearing something very different. Or seeing the motions of riding Soarin' and seeing the footage there. Didn't think some stuff would make me cringe, but it did. I'd give it a 6/10 rating. Its interesting, but uneven and some of the cast was just ok.

FettFan

Slight language warning.(clip is used from National Lampoon's Vacation featuring Chevy Chase and an F bomb)

http://redlettermedia.com/quick-cuts-escape-from-tomorrow/

"Very juvenile", "way too ridiculous", and "weirdness for the sake of weirdness". Only reason to see it is to "marvel at what they got away with".

So basically, as I see it, EfT's trailer told the truth. It's just...a thing. Disney is right to ignore it.

BuddyThomas

I finally bit the bullet and rented it last night. I didn't know what to expect based on all the mixed reviews and mostly negative attitude about it on here, but I really enjoyed it.

It's very triply and might best be enjoyed with a puff of something that the caterpillar in Alice could provide, but overall, it was cool to see all the Disney locations in such an unusual light. There is every location from Small World to Biergarten and a bunch in between.

This movie is open to interpretation but to me, it's just a guy having a nervous breakdown at Disney World. After reading so much about it, I wasn't sure I would even understand it but it is actually pretty straightforward and accessible. It is a speedy 90 minutes. I particularly liked the music, which is Disney-esque with edges of darkness.

A lot of us in the know will have problems with several inconsistencies:

They use the Disneyland Small World, as has already been noted.

Also, the family is clearly staying in the Contemporary but at one point, the main guy is outside his hotel and it is Yacht/Beach club.

Anyway, it's not for everyone but I feel like open minded Disney fans might really think this is a trip. Purists not in favor of satire or parody of their beloved mouse house will not enjoy and should not tune in.

FettFan

Curiosity got the better of me. I just finished it.

Jay Bauman was right. Weirdness for the sake of being weird. Overall there is really no point to the movie other than the shock value of "look what we did".

EDIT -- They also used the Disneyland Tiki Room. WDW's Tiki Room no longer has a fountain...was removed during the New Management era back in the late 90s and was never restored during the last refurb.

luv

The only thing that interests me in this movie is whether I'm in it, lol. I don't care enough to watch, though.

Cardinals314

Alright I watched the movie the other night and I thought it was good, but very bizarre. It's kind of hard to describe the type of film because the film is not a conventional or mainstream horror film, but it's also not entirely experimental film either. I would say it's an interesting mixture of both. The decision to go black and white for that noir effect was actually perfect for this kind of movie. The soundtrack was actually very good as well. The filmmakers couldn't use authentic music from the rides, so new music was made for each attraction shown.

The acting isn't that great on the other hand. The father does an alright job, but the mother came off very annoying to me. The story-line is a bit far-fetched, especially around the last 30 minutes. However, it is fun to follow and I was eager to see what happened next. The story-line reminds me bit of The Shining with elements of a David Lynch experimental film. The film also manages to be funny at times with its dark humor.

Overall I would recommend it for those who want to see something truly uneasy without being too graphic.

DancingPhoenix

Curiosity got the better of me. I just finished it.

Jay Bauman was right. Weirdness for the sake of being weird. Overall there is really no point to the movie other than the shock value of "look what we did".

So much this. I just watched it with my boyfriend, and in the middle he goes "this is a bad movie". I tried to like it, but there was no solid plot or anything. I feel like they had a million ideas that went in different directions but they couldn't pick one, so they did them all. To me if they had just stuck with the demonic bits it would've been really cool, but everything else they piled on that didn't need to be there just ruined it.
Over half the movie was me going "why did they add that? What purpose does it serve?" and there IS no purpose that I can see. So many questions, so little answers.

luv

When they have to publicize the fact that they did the filming in WDW, it's a huge hint that the thing sucks.

airwick0905

I watched it...and loved it. I also love Disney. A lot. It's possible to love both with an open mind. And why not film in both parks? I'm sure the average person wouldn't notice any continuity errors, and after all, it's just a movie.

Disney Shib

Haven't seen it. But I have heard it is very well done. Personally, I desperately want to see it.

But I agree Disney is smart to ignore it.
This might be the worst movie I've ever seen

I couldnt agree more. I didn't understand the whole sleeping with the evil queen portion either or why the father role spent the entire day following two 13 year old chicks around the park? I don't know... I get the whole "pressure filled day at WDW idea" but I just thought the whole thing was flopped together and had no follow-able story line. The only thing I found try to form was the motorized scooter guy... they nailed that LOL.

AEfx

Why film in DLR and WDW? Couldn't they have just done the Vacation DVD and Disney Parks commercials approach?

Because it takes place in FL, and our Castle is much more impressive visually - but our Fantasyland has been a constructon zone since the turn of the decade, Snow White doesn't exist any more, and even when it did - the exterior of DL's Snow White was much nicer.

It is a little jarring at first as someone who knows both parks very well, but the average person will never notice. And they actually do it quite seamlessly.

It certainly wasn't the best film ever made, but it really was entertaining. A lot of that comes from the "OMG I can't believe they were able to pull that off", sure. The ride footage is actually quite good.

Reading through the thread has been just as entertaining, LOL. So much speculation and misinformation. The "girls" were actually in their 20's - I couldn't figure out at first what in the world people were talking about with "sexual abuse victims" until I realized they thought these were not adults.

There are a ton of inside jokes that frankly probably most people who see it wouldn't understand (I about died when the Queen was talking about her "hidden mickey" ROFL), but it's quite clever in certain ways and when I read certain Disney fans reaction to it's quality (particularly ones who are involved in media creation) I tend to think it's more sour grapes than anything because they didn't come up with the idea to do this themselves.

As to why Disney isn't responding - that's a total given. They would be stupid to.

1) The movie is made. It's done. By the time they found out about it, it was too late to keep the cat in the bag. It would have just been leaked and out there anyway - and due to the Streisand effect, it would have just been even more popular. (FYI, it hit CNN today so it's building, if slowly.)

2) A lot has been written about the legalities of it, but it's no where near as cut and dry as many people seem to think. There is no copyrighted music, and it clearly states up front that neither Disney nor Siemens had anything to do with it. It's similar legal territory to "mash ups" on YouTube, which courts have ruled in favor of - if you take someone else's "art" and cut it up and make your own art out of it, it's considered fair use (and, really, legally, that's precisely what was done here - cut ups of different shots mostly of things that are not actually copyrighted - and the fact that the footage is combined from different parks helps that as well). This is classic fair-use. Fair-use is often misunderstood, but this is clearly "new art, not meant to replicate the art that it contains" - no one is going to think this is going to replicate the experience of going to the Disney parks.

3) The whole "what does Disney own for imagery" in the parks has been a sketchy legal issue for years. Considering fair use, Disney REALLY does not want to bring this anywhere near a courtroom - because if it is decided not in their favor, they just opened up a HUGE can of worms. As of now, it's untested legal territory - it would be a gamble if they tried to do anything. If they "win" - they get not much, since the film likely will barely make back it's production costs, and if they lose - they just had precedent set for them not really having authority of what happens to media and footage taken in the parks. They do not want a court decision that says that. They could possibly go the Trademark route (as some imagery could be argued to fall under that), but all the park/ride footage online (some of which is sold) has been going on for years and that could be seen as tacit permission and them not enforcing their trademarks, which can lead to losing them - a court ruling on that could be devastating far beyond this little film (and into such sacred territory as merchandise rights).

The most "objectionable" thing I can see Disney not liking is the faked Meet'N Greet with the Princesses, which again, is an issue Disney does NOT want to be talked about or ruled on in a courtroom. Even if in their eventual favor, it still could set precedent for what they do and do not own. If you look at the costumes, they are not replicas - particularly the mermaid, as Ariel doesn't walk/stand in the parks with her fins. Disney did not create those Princesses - they own a specific version of them (kind of like anyone can go and make a Wizard of Oz movie with Dorothy, but they can't have ruby slippers in them - an invention of the 1939 copyrighted film). While obviously the film is designed to make you think they are in a park, they aren't - and lawsuits over stuff like this is VERY specific and will look at exactly what the content in that scene is, what is in the frame - not how it relates to the overall film.

4) As to the people in the parks that appear in footage, again, shaky legal ground. You give up your rights to publicity just entering a publicly open space, in this case you give it up to Disney - they can take your picture and do whatever they want with it. That said, this isn't Disney that has done it - and the argument could be made that you were in public, even on private property. In any case, Disney would have to support any lawsuit made by an individual, which they won't do because of #3. Think of people who take pics of other people they don't know at WDW and post them on places like this - some very embarrassing. Disney does not want to be involved with precedent set on that - there have been threads here over the years with people shown with wedgies, etc. - imagine if that person could sue WDWMagic, the photographer, etc.

I think Disney was just hoping it would go away, but it's gaining steam. But not nearly as much steam if they were out there trying to stop it. And at this point, they would just look terrible if they knew about it all this time, did nothing to prevent release (you can get it on Amazon as we speak), and just now caused a stink about it.

Not to mention, Disney looks pretty idiotic here to begin with. You would have to see the film to really understand, but the most astounding thing about this at all is that they didn't get caught. Only a few of the in-park scenes were done on green screen (and they cleverly have a Disney-style trash can in the shots with the actors to make it blend). Most of the exterior park stuff really was in the park. And Disney security looks absolutely, completely incompetent here.

They did several takes of each scene, each shot - while they are busy playing security theater at the bag check, these people were filming a motion picture right under their noses. Even without a bulky camera, it's just unfathomable to me how someone didn't think something was going on. We like to think that they are watching everything and protecting us from this, that, and the other - but some of this stuff is shot and framed so well (from multiple angles) that it's almost impossible to believe it wasn't like a Sitcom filming from the 90's where everyone is in on it.

So yeah, Disney is right to not touch this with a ten-foot pole. There is so much they could lose by doing so, even if overall they "won" - and "winning" here isn't really winning, anyway. The risks are far greater than any statement or reward they could make going after these guys.

Finally, I do have to say Bravo to the filmmaker - really, truly. It's certainly not the best film ever, it has very art house, disassociated feel to it - but the chutzpah and the technical work are impressive for a film made this way. The sound is very, very good - which is shocking, considering how it was done. For a guerrilla film made right under Disney's supposedly "all knowing" nose, on what is essentially a still camera, is an amazing feat. I have no doubt someone is going to give this guy some money to make a "real" movie over this. If this was the 90's when indie cinema was in it's heyday, he'd already be signed to a 5M dollar deal and be working with Brad Pitt. But even in today's climate, someone is going to invest in him and while he may never be a big shot director, he at least has got his foot in the door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom