Up, Up, Updates Away

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
More updates for you's guys:

- Carousel of Progress will be going down for a short two or three day refurb sometime in the next couple of months (sooner rather than later). We're going to be changing out some set pieces in the final "modern" scene and also changing out the video game movie which plays on the television.

- Mickey's PhilharMagic will be receiving a significant boost in advertising and space in our material. Hopefully this will counteract our latest study that shows many casual Walt Disney World guests do not recognize Mickey's PhilharMagic as a major attraction, which results in less guests experiencing the attraction. This is also resulting in longer lines for our other attractions in Fantasyland and a waste of our FastPass machines used on that attraction.

- Liberty Inn, a restaurant at the American Pavillion in Epcot's World Showcase, will be receiving a major menu change. At this time, I am unaware of the timeframe for the planned switch, but I can confirm that the menu changes will feature traditional American cuisine items that are often associated with American holidays. Planned menu items include chicken and dumplings, dressing, sweet potato casserole, potato salad, baked beans, etc. Expect the menu prices to increase.

- Toy Story Mania interactive elements have been dramatically improved since I previously told you to expect a delay in the attraction's opening. The attraction will still struggle to open in the timeframe executives had hoped for, but now it appears we're dealing with weeks rather than months. The issue was that the interactive element graphics were not at the level Lassetter (and many others) were expecting.

- The upcoming Big Thunder Mountain Railroad refurbishment will feature a re-do to the queue line. We're also replacing several parts in the falling boulder rooms along with replacing the pipes and spouts which release the waterfalls. A new chain lift system has been planned to go into Big Thunder, which will quiet the lift noise. However, the chain lifts are not planned to be replaced in this refurbishment which means BTMR will receive a second refurbishment sometime after the October downtime (my guess is early spring).

Have fun and salt your news / rumors for added flavor...

WDWFigment

- Carousel of Progress will be going down for a short two or three day refurb sometime in the next couple of months (sooner rather than later). We're going to be changing out some set pieces in the final "modern" scene and also changing out the video game movie which plays on the television.

I have been begging for this one for years. To think, it's finally going to happen and will only take a few days. Boy, this could really have been done long ago.

dave2822

Any news on the Star Tours 2 front? Is the project you spoke of definitely green-lit at this point?

Thanks for the other updates.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Regarding BTM and the plumbing - any chance Tumbleweed will be restored to its flash flood opening day quality?

brkgnews

Good stuff. And welcome back.

Any word on if they're going to change the CoP dialogue about "car phones" and "laser discs"? It makes CoP seem about a decade shy of cool.

Happy to hear about the Liberty Inn update. Now I might have a reason to actually eat there. :lookaroun

Also very glad to hear about the proposed update to the chaindogs on Big Thunder. It's soooooooo freakin' loud in that cave!

Thanks again!
:wave:

Hummer1676

Thanks for the update. I am excited for BTMR. I personnally like the loud noise of the chain lift. It makes it sound like a train. Oh well.

kcnole

- The upcoming Big Thunder Mountain Railroad refurbishment will feature a re-do to the queue line. We're also replacing several parts in the falling boulder rooms along with replacing the pipes and spouts which release the waterfalls. A new chain lift system has been planned to go into Big Thunder, which will quiet the lift noise. However, the chain lifts are not planned to be replaced in this refurbishment which means BTMR will receive a second refurbishment sometime after the October downtime (my guess is early spring).

The same system Everest uses?

JWG

They can't make many changes, the character voices aren't all available anymore. Didn't I hear the voice of the father is dead? If they make changes that require changes to the text, they'd have to redo the whole attraction's audio wouldn't they? I'm all for as much TLC to this attraction as possible. It's a favorite of mine.

Mickey's PhilharMagic will be receiving a significant boost in advertising and space in our material. Hopefully this will counteract our latest study that shows many casual Walt Disney World guests do not recognize Mickey's PhilharMagic as a major attraction, which results in less guests experiencing the attraction. This is also resulting in longer lines for our other attractions in Fantasyland and a waste of our FastPass machines used on that attraction.

This is a good idea. We were able to walk on to Philharmagic with the only wait being waiting for the show to end ahead of us. With lines of 40-45 minutes everywhere else in Fantasyland we did indeed toss our fastpasses for this ride and used the standby queue.

PLTram

Maybe people aren't lining up for Philharmagic, because it isn't all that magical. I found it to be a pleasant diversion, but the images were blurry and it really offered nothing terribly unique. Just another 3D experience. I don't think I'd bother lining up for it again. I think it needs more than marketing help. Ho hum.

dave2822

- Liberty Inn, a restaurant at the American Pavillion in Epcot's World Showcase, will be receiving a major menu change. At this time, I am unaware of the timeframe for the planned switch, but I can confirm that the menu changes will feature traditional American cuisine items that are often associated with American holidays. Planned menu items include chicken and dumplings, dressing, sweet potato casserole, potato salad, baked beans, etc. Expect the menu prices to increase.

I remember having heard this rumor in the recent past, and if this is in fact true, that would be terrific. The fast food that the Liberty Inn currently serves is such a slap in the face to America when you have all this "award winning cuisine" in the other countries. This would certainly be long overdue.

brkgnews

They can't make many changes, the character voices aren't all available anymore. Didn't I hear the voice of the father is dead? If they make changes that require changes to the text, they'd have to redo the whole attraction's audio wouldn't they? I'm all for as much TLC to this attraction as possible. It's a favorite of mine.

If I'm correct, Grandpa (who mentions laser discs and car phones) was voiced by Rex Allen Sr (the original father in the NYWF1964 version). He is, indeed, dead. But his son, Rex Jr, is alive and well, and also does a very good stand-in for his dad. I think they've done similar "impersonations" for new Paul Frees style audio in Haunted Mansion.

erasure fan1

I say give the CoP family a Wii instead of that inpractical VR thing.
No way the Wii is cool but you will just have to change it out in 2yrs or so. VR is still a future thing for video games, so just update how it looks.
dave2822 said:
Any news on the Star Tours 2 front? Is the project you spoke of definitely green-lit at this point?
Yes that is what I would like to know as well.

DisneyNut2007

Mickey's PhilharMagic will be receiving a significant boost in advertising and space in our material. Hopefully this will counteract our latest study that shows many casual Walt Disney World guests do not recognize Mickey's PhilharMagic as a major attraction, which results in less guests experiencing the attraction. This is also resulting in longer lines for our other attractions in Fantasyland and a waste of our FastPass machines used on that attraction.

That sounds like a good idea.

Let's hope that they'll start re-advertising other minor attractions in promotional materials (Country Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, Gran Fiesta Tour, etc.) in the future.

ReDis, while you're here right now, please answer whether or not they'll do this...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom