News UP! A Great Bird Adventure Getting A Rewrite

KevinPage

Just saw this show about a month ago and it was fairly boring. Basically needs less talking and less character nonsense and more animals and birds. Seems like a simple fix/idea.

So did I see the “re-write” or is that still pending? If I saw the re-write I can’t imagine how bad the original show was. I remember enjoying Flights of Wonder back in the day.

Jedi Osborn

Thank goodness for a new version. We saw the show a fee years ago and loved it, then they added the Up characters and it crashed hard.
Let's hope for something better this time.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Just saw this show about a month ago and it was fairly boring. Basically needs less talking and less character nonsense and more animals and birds. Seems like a simple fix/idea.

So did I see the “re-write” or is that still pending? If I saw the re-write I can’t imagine how bad the original show was. I remember enjoying Flights of Wonder back in the day.
You saw the first rewrite. Apparently they are going to be trying again.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Led by a senior Wilderness Explorer this unique birding experience features a close-up look at various bird species from around the globe—including the marabou stork, which boasts a magnificent 10-foot wingspan. Prepare for breathtaking fun with these free-flying fowl... along with a few other surprises! UP! A Great Bird Adventure runs—well, flies—throughout the day at Disney's Animal Kingdom park."

Was this always the case? Or is that the new rewrite? That at least makes sense. Still think they should have Russell and Dug in their CGI form via Skype. Oh and more Kevin.. Kids love the Kevin.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Yes the host was always a Wilderness Explorer too.

I guess I never made that connection. Odd. All the more reason to make it more obvious I suppose. Or omit it completely and have the Wilderness Explorers back "at home" and have this bird show and tell taking place via Skype or Facebook live with the main UP! characters on screens.

Kman101

What's the betting on them removing the characteristics of the lead character as opposed to shortening the Doug and Russell sections? :rolleyes:

The lead isn't the problem (so of course you're probably right), but I think she's a bit too perky in a Disney Junior sort of way.

I think a little less talking and what feels like aimless killing of time could be better served educating about birds. They can still use the characters. There's a better way to go about this. Not sure why they've made it so hard on themselves. It feels like three different ideas.

Maybe they need some new show writers? lol

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
2D93E739-0539-46D7-8CD9-A9F74189A86E.jpeg

JohnD

lol!

I was just going to come in here and ask how attendance levels for shows are, and what the guest sat is for it. Guess I got my answer ... funny how just shoehorning an actual appropriate IP in doesn't work ... guests aren't rushing to see this because they added Russell and Dug (and I don't mind the Wilderness Explorer tie-in, personally) they could have definitely put more effort into this new version of the show.

Wonder how Rivers of Light: "We Are One (with IP)" is working out for them?

Believe it or not Flights of Wonder was an “appointment show” for me every time I visited. It was that good. The Up version? Let’s just say one and done.

JohnD

Like Flights of Wonder interacting with Guano Joe as the foil when teaching about the birds? Like that?

KevinPage

Like Flights of Wonder interacting with Quano Joe as the foil when teaching about the birds? Like that?
I saw fights of wonder so long about but the main guy was some homeless looking dude with long hair and had tons of birds flying around.

I’m fine with UP, just don’t dumb it down (and have more birds 🦅 )

RSoxNo1

The show is a disjointed mess. It was before the first rewrite and will be after this one as long as they insist on combining the up characters with the back story of Anandapur and the Maharajahs.

The only thing "wrong" with the original version was that there was no movie tied to it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Join Russell and his furry friend Dug on a magical bird-watching adventure in Anandapur, India led by senior Wilderness Explorer Guano Joe and a mysterious local tour guide known as The Mother of Birds; a woman as enchanting as the various bird species she watches and protects—including the marabou stork, which boasts a magnificent 10-foot wingspan. Adventure is out there! Prepare for breathtaking flap-happy fun with these free-flying fowl... along with a few other mystical surprises in an adventure sure to send your spirits soaring!

*she's a jinn. Shhh don't tell anyone.

FigmentJedi

Join Russell and his furry friend Dug on a magical bird-watching adventure in Anandapur, India led by senior Wilderness Explorer Guano Joe and a mysterious local tour guide known as The Mother of Birds; a woman as enchanting as the various bird species she watches and protects—including the marabou stork, which boasts a magnificent 10-foot wingspan. Adventure is out there! Prepare for breathtaking flap-happy fun with these free-flying fowl... along with a few other mystical surprises in an adventure sure to send your spirits soaring!

*she's a jinn. Shhh don't tell anyone.
A Kinnari would be more appropriate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinnara

Side note: This was my headcanon for the true nature of Aseema from Rivers of Light.

Kman101

All they had to do was mimic the original, just add Russell and Dug. How are they any less annoying than Tourist John who's scared of birds? All they literally had to do was swap, or keep the guy and make him the Wilderness Explorer guide who's chasing after a lost Russell. It's not hard. Or, you know, leave it as it was, but personally I thought it was kind of time for a change. I regret that now, of course.

Flynnwriter

The “show” was an awkward disaster. The Indian woman was odd and why the F@*€ was Up ever added to this? Thank you Bob Chapek. It’s about nature and birds. Can the Indian woman, lose the Up characters and stick with facts, birds, animals and flying. No pretense or lame story. More NatGeo less Up and Indian princess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom