Unsure who to vote for regarding the Walt Disney Co. Board

jpeden

In the Parks
No
The parks were cut back so much under Chapek and prices rose very sharply. It’s barely changed under Iger 2.0 because they can’t cut back anymore.

Chapek is an interesting study considering he grew up going to the parks and before he became profits focused as a visitor was a "parks fan."

It's a point that people need to consider when thinking that someone who is a parks fan/was a parks fan will always make positive parks-focused decisions.

Lilofan

Chapek is an interesting study considering he grew up going to the parks and before he became profits focused as a visitor was a "parks fan."

It's a point that people need to consider when thinking that someone who is a parks fan/was a parks fan will always make positive parks-focused decisions.
A "parks fan" appeals to many then say that " I'm a ESPN, ABC fan " which holds little clout.

Indy_UK

But can they? Park reservations and G+ has ensured that not only can they better predict operational costs such as labor, but they can also control it by limiting capacity when needed.

I also don't believe that Parks were hit hard in the multiple rounds of layoffs which were announced by Chapek and occurred under Iger, so that would mean there is little fat to cut.

But I would be curious as to what you think they could cut? Personally I think their strategy is just raise prices.

Totally agree. Even Iger has said they’ve raised prices to much too fast

Casper Gutman

But can they? Park reservations and G+ has ensured that not only can they better predict operational costs such as labor, but they can also control it by limiting capacity when needed.

I also don't believe that Parks were hit hard in the multiple rounds of layoffs which were announced by Chapek and occurred under Iger, so that would mean there is little fat to cut.

But I would be curious as to what you think they could cut? Personally I think their strategy is just raise prices.
You know everything you’re completely sure they can’t cut? They can cut that.

Peltz, Rasulo, and Perlmutter do not care about the sanctity of the parks. They care less than Iger. All the things that a fan can’t imagine being cut, the things that fans are sure would destroy the parks - Peltz and company DO NOT care. It’s a spreadsheet to them, nothing more.

I have been as critical as any poster on these boards regarding the direction of the parks over the last several decades. That does not mean, however, that I am under the illusion that things can’t get exponentially worse. Iger has been bad within normal, traditional boundaries. Peltz would obliterate those boundaries.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I like that every defense of voting these two in is either wholly retributive or willfully ignorant of past behavior of those involved. Making 1/6th of the board actively hostile to the thing you supposedly like by belonging to these boards seems weird
I don't think anyone would be giving these two guys the time of day if current and past (now current again) leadership did not put the company in the position it is today.

People may not like Peltz and company because of a variety of reasons, but at the same time their past history should not be the justification or excuse to ignore the actions of current leadership who want to maintain the status quo which has done a tremendous amount of damage to investors and the company itself.

Disstevefan1

I dunno as I aren’t on the board or Disney CEO but maybe both Peltz and Iger know that they’ve cut back as much as they can and need to look at other ways to increase income which sadly will mean spending money
I don't think they have done anything to reduce cost of creating their movies and content?

Trauma

Yes, they can. A lot.
Casper I know you’re intelligent and care about the future of Disney.

What is your hypothetical path forward for Disney that doesn’t involve D+ achieving the same numbers as Netflix?

If people start to thumb their noses at the parks because Universal has become a better value in 2025, Disney is in massive trouble.

I know I talk a lot of crap but I’m a huge fan I have 640 points at the Boardwalk, so I have skin in the game myself.

Im not excited but a single thing Disney is doing and im chomping at the bit for Epic.

Are you going to tell me that I don’t represent a large enough percentage of Orlando visitors to move the needle ?

What is the freaking plan here!!! The parks are a freaking disaster and it’s only getting worse.

monothingie

Premium Member
They can cut their bus fleet in half or use gym matts for hamburger meat, but that doesn't mean they realistically will. I would genuinely like to know what Disney could realistically cut from their parks without it negatively/significantly affecting guests?

Indy_UK

Peltz, Rasulo, and Perlmutter do not care about the sanctity of the parks. They care less than Iger. All the things that a fan can’t imagine being cut, the things that fans are sure would destroy the parks - Peltz and company DO NOT care. It’s a spreadsheet to them, nothing more.

I have been as critical as any poster on these boards regarding the direction of the parks over the last several decades. That does not mean, however, that I am under the illusion that things can’t get exponentially worse. Iger has been bad within normal, traditional boundaries. Peltz would obliterate those boundaries.

I totally agree with you but with just two seats on the board, they are not going to destroy the company. People like me may like the idea of them purely to put pressure for change because it’s not going to happen while Iger is still around

Casper Gutman

I totally agree with you but with just two seats on the board, they are not going to destroy the company. People like me may like the idea of them purely to put pressure for change because it’s not going to happen while Iger is still around
“CHANGE” IS NOT INHERENTLY GOOD! Demanding change for its own sake is very, very often destructive!

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy_UK

I don't think they have done anything to reduce cost of creating their movies and content?

Sorry I was only referring to the parks. Don’t get me started on their movie production costs as it makes by blood boil. £100K to do Ariel’s hair in the live action mermaid.

Godzilla and into the spiderverse are just 2 examples where good content can be made for a fraction of the costs

James Alucobond

I don't think anyone would be giving these two guys the time of day if current and past (now current again) leadership did not put the company in the position it is today.

People may not like Peltz and company because of a variety of reasons, but at the same time their past history should not be the justification or excuse to ignore the actions of current leadership who want to maintain the status quo which has done a tremendous amount of damage to investors and the company itself.
If you think they’re getting their just desserts, that’s actually a somewhat reasonable opinion because you accept that this is damaging but think the damage is deserved.

What makes zero sense to me is those who are attempting to cloak their support in concern for the parks or TWDC. It’s advocating for a shake up just to have a shake up without any thought to consequences.

monothingie

Premium Member
“CHANGE” IS NOT INHERENTLY GOOD! Demanding change for its own sake is very, very often destructive!
Two seats on the board doesn't mean anything in terms of affecting change.

The only thing that it affects is the ability for the board to truly act independently by a group who are not completely beholden to in this case Bob Iger. So maybe instead of an automatic rubber stamp for Bob, there will be some independent thought and consideration, you know what a BOD is supposed to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

monothingie

Premium Member
What makes zero sense to me is those who are attempting to cloak their support in concern for the parks or TWDC. It’s advocating for a shake up just to have a shake up without any thought to consequences.

The devil you know vs the Devil you don't?

Indy_UK

Two seats on the board doesn't mean anything in terms of affecting change.

The only thing that it affects is the ability for the board to truly act independently by a group who not completely beholden to in this case Bob Iger. So maybe instead of an automatic rubber stamp for Bob, there will be some independent thought and consideration, you know what a BOD is supposed to do?

I was thinking that I was talking to myself on this. Glad someone agrees. 2 seats on the board won’t do much except hold Iger to account more

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom