Unsure who to vote for regarding the Walt Disney Co. Board

Indy_UK

I agree with a lot of this but again, Peltz is talking ROI only. So, increases from revenue must outpace the increased expenses from investment to produce the positive return he is looking for. Otherwise, he is saying he is going to fight it.

Isn’t that common sense though? If the parks are a cash cow then you need to spend money to expand them in order to attract more attendance. I agree with Peltz on that and think all CEOs should be working to that mantra.

Rasulo is a dufus and is only being used my Peltz to get his seat in the board, nothing more.

Dranth

One would assume that making intentional misrepresentations to the shareholders as part of a board seat campaign for a publicly traded company would be, at minimum, legally perilous, if not fully illegal, but I'm no expert in that regard.
What he said is vague enough that it wouldn't matter even if there was any legal binding to speech being used to campaign to be on a board. For example, he said he wants them to disclose the ROI but nowhere did he say what is acceptable so that leaves him in a position to easily fight every thing they offer because it isn't good enough.

I guess to me, the bigger thing I legit don't understand from the pro Peltz group is why do people think he is suddenly going to operate differently than he has all the other times his group did this exact same song and dance? By voting for him you are saying you want more Chapek style, not less.

lazyboy97o

Isn’t that common sense though? If the parks are a cash cow then you need to spend money to expand them in order to attract more attendance. I agree with Peltz on that and think all CEOs should be working to that mantra.

Rasulo is a dufus and is only being used my Peltz to get his seat in the board, nothing more.
And nothing says “I have good ideas” like associating with a doofus.

Casper Gutman

This is what a fan thinks. Peltz, Rasulo, and Perlmutter are not fans.

Also, if investing in the parks is so obvious to Peltz, why isn’t it obvious to Iger? Iger isn’t a uniquely terrible executive, he’s a product of the dominant American business culture. In that context he’s a reasonably competent, even moderate, example of the type. Peltz is an extreme. He actually is what many posters on these boards have convinced themselves Iger is.

Brian

Does this look like the face of a man who is not a fan? He's got mouse ears and a ballon for crying out loud! ;)

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 12.13.08.png

Indy_UK

Also, if investing in the parks is so obvious to Peltz, why isn’t it obvious to Iger? Iger isn’t a uniquely terrible executive, he’s a product of the dominant American business culture. In that context he’s a reasonably competent, even moderate, example of the type. Peltz is an extreme. He actually is what many posters on these boards have convinced themselves Iger is.

Because Iger isn’t a parks fan probably. He just ignored them for so many years then threw 2 Star Wars lands and a ton of other stuff to try and catchup.

He just saw them as a Bank to fund the trendy stuff like Disney+ which was only loosing money.

Parks have now hit a wall where nothings planned really behind the scenes that is going to greatly increase capacity and attendance.

lazyboy97o

Because Iger isn’t a parks fan probably. He just ignored them for so many years then threw 2 Star Wars lands and a ton of other stuff to try and catchup.

He just saw them as a Bank to fund the trendy stuff like Disney+ which was only loosing money.

Parks have now hit a wall where nothings planned really behind the scenes that is going to greatly increase capacity and attendance.
The parks have hit that wall because of the business model of the parks themselves. One very much encouraged by the focus on returns. There is absolutely to indicate that Peltz would push for a business model with greater emphasis on elements that do not directly produce revenue or can easily be traced to revenue. Spending money to increase capacity means doing the exact opposite, spending money on something that cannot directly increase revenue.

Indy_UK

The parks were cut back so much under Chapek and prices rose very sharply. It’s barely changed under Iger 2.0 because they can’t cut back anymore.

Disstevefan1

How? And how would Peltz help achieve this?
Oh, it was just a general suggestion. Not sure Peltz can help this problem. This problem will continue no matter who is on the board. Disney's movie / content creation business is broken.

As for how, Disney should learn from other movie makers how to manage costs when making movies.

I do not think its the content Disney is creating is as much of a problem with the costs to make and market their movies and content. Disney spend so much money to make and market a movie, the movies MUST be blockbusters to make some money.

Indy_UK

I dunno as I aren’t on the board or Disney CEO but maybe both Peltz and Iger know that they’ve cut back as much as they can and need to look at other ways to increase income which sadly will mean spending money

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Yes, they can. A lot.
But can they? Park reservations and G+ has ensured that not only can they better predict operational costs such as labor, but they can also control it by limiting capacity when needed.

I also don't believe that Parks were hit hard in the multiple rounds of layoffs which were announced by Chapek and occurred under Iger, so that would mean there is little fat to cut.

But I would be curious as to what you think they could cut? Personally I think their strategy is just raise prices.

James Alucobond

I like that every defense of voting these two in is either wholly retributive or willfully ignorant of past behavior of those involved. Making 1/6th of the board actively hostile to the thing you supposedly like by belonging to these boards seems weird. Did they invite the barbarians to their walls? Maybe, but you don’t have to cheer them on as they cut people down at the border because you think they brought it on themselves, especially if you like the things inside the border.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom