Unsure who to vote for regarding the Walt Disney Co. Board

Figments Friend

The only Board Members you need to run the Company….

IMG_2861.jpeg

mikejs78

Premium Member
The one who was forced out with a huge grudge and 3,000,000 shares?
Exactly. Perlmutter was Chapek's mentor, turned him into the cost cutting / value engineering person he was. He also lobbied for Chapek to be the next CEO, and used his large # of shares as influence. It is also understood that he lobbied against both Stages and Meyer for the CEO positions.

Perlmutter is also backing Peltz and Russulo with his stock - and is the one responsible for pushing the proxy fight. Peltz would not have nearly enough stock without Perlmutter's shares.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Even people who are supposedly fans of Disney seem to have embraced this kind of nihilistic attitude that the company may as well be bled dry, dismembered, and sold for parts

I'm not advocating for any board members to get elected, or that Rasulo should be allowed within 100 yards of anything to do with Disney, but I would be lying if I didn't feel this way about the company at this point (yes, I know that's bad).

The quality of the product has already gone down the drain, and the solution from the top brass is to double down on the current creative tract and charge exponentially more to see the latest underwhelming investment.

The Paul Pressler/Strategic Planning philosophy from over 20 years ago remains the guiding principle for everything to this day. It is deeply embedded in the company's culture and only superficial changes have been made to make it more palpable to the general public.

I have no real solutions to this and I doubt anyone alive exists who could realistically turn things around.

tanc

Can we just get rid of the entire board and find some actual good candidates? Iger is long past his stay and everyone else is like covering a turd with ice cream sprinkles. I think a young CEO could do wonders for Disney in terms of innovation but I guess it'll never happen.

Sir_Cliff

I'm not advocating for any board members to get elected, or that Rasulo should be allowed within 100 yards of anything to do with Disney, but I would be lying if I didn't feel this way about the company at this point (yes, I know that's bad).

The quality of the product has already gone down the drain, and the solution from the top brass is to double down on the current creative tract and charge exponentially more to see the latest underwhelming investment.

The Paul Pressler/Strategic Planning philosophy from over 20 years ago remains the guiding principle for everything to this day. It is deeply embedded in the company's culture and only superficial changes have been made to make it more palpable to the general public.

I have no real solutions to this and I doubt anyone alive exists who could realistically turn things around.
Fair enough.

Personally, for all the problems with the company and particularly how WDW is being run, I don't think it's a lost cause. In terms of the parks, the bones of Imagineering at its peak are still there and I think the Imagineers can on occasion still create great attractions. Who knows what the future would be if a future CEO at least loosened the IP mandate? I'd rather that possibility or that of the guest experience at least improving than blowing up the whole company.

This is certainly not a criticism aimed at you personally, but I really don't understand why people still engage with a product and brand they feel is beyond repair. There seems a kind of perverse pleasure at play in a lot of the sniping and betting on the company's dismemberment as a preferable outcome to its recuperation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This sentiment, which has been repeated several times in this thread, seems rather hyperbolic. I fail to see how he and Rasulo would be able to effectively strong arm other board members into supporting things that would "destroy" the company. They have a fiduciary duty to the shareholders.
By your own logic - what could they change if they only had two seats? What's the point of fighting for them?

Or is it possible... that just two seats is enough to actually cause change?

flynnibus

Premium Member
People may not like Peltz and company because of a variety of reasons, but at the same time their past history should not be the justification or excuse to ignore the actions of current leadership who want to maintain the status quo which has done a tremendous amount of damage to investors and the company itself.
Voting in 'anyone but X' mentality never gets you what you want. You're basically saying 'vote against something' rather than 'vote for something'. You don't even care what you will get, as long as its not what was before.

The carelessness of such attitudes is what gets people burnt... and then cry martyr afterwards. "how were we supposed to know this would happen??"

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Voting in 'anyone but X' mentality never gets you what you want. You're basically saying 'vote against something' rather than 'vote for something'. You don't even care what you will get, as long as its not what was before.

The carelessness of such attitudes is what gets people burnt... and then cry martyr afterwards. "how were we supposed to know this would happen??"
The stock under the current regime at one point was off around 60% from its most recent high. How can you not say that their stewardship of the company has not been reckless and destructive?

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The stock under the current regime at one point was off around 60% from its most recent high. How can you not say that their stewardship of the company has bit been reckless and destructive?
That fact doesn't mean I'd vote in anyone off the corner.

Again, vote FOR someone's plan... not simply for 'anything but' - because you never know if 'anything' is actually far worse.

Brian

Well there's a distortion field if I've ever seen one. This is all about business and a product people love - not politics.
I agree, but if the accusation that those favoring Peltz are doing so just because of politics (a claim made by two different members) is good enough to stick, so is my claim. I'm glad we can both agree they're both ridiculous propositions.

By your own logic - what could they change if they only had two seats? What's the point of fighting for them?

Or is it possible... that just two seats is enough to actually cause change?
The post I was responding to was a claim that Peltz and Rasulo could effectively destroy the company with their two board seats. Assuming a board of 12, they would have to convince several other board members, most of whom are current board members, and/or Iger loyalists, to go along with their allegedly nefarious plans, a highly unlikely proposition.

On the other hand, should they wish to do things to benefit the company, as they are obliged to do per their fiduciary duty to the shareholders, I'm confident they would be able to secure the necessary support of their fellow board members.

To suggest that two board members are capable of garnering the support necessary to "destroy" the company is purely hyperbolic.

Casper Gutman

As you know, I agree with you about the decline at the Disney resorts, but with all due respect to a good poster, I don’t think we’ve come anywhere close to seeing what “down the drain” really looks like.

No one alive may be able to restore the Disney parks to their past glory, but they can sure make it much worse.

Animaniac93-98

This is certainly not a criticism aimed at you personally, but I really don't understand why people still engage with a product and brand they feel is beyond repair.

I've said this before, but it basically boils down to "enjoy it while it lasts"

I don't take any of the physical aspects of the parks for granted. Certainly, Disney has shown that nothing is untouchable, and there are still unique things at each location that makes them worth visiting sporadically.

WDW has suffered disproportionality compared to the other parks. A victim of its own success and a leadership that sees it as a way to squeeze more out of what made it so wonderful to begin with. I've spent less time and $ at the resort as a result. It's proximity to Universal Orlando is an asset to me more than ever.

As for the film and television side, if nothing else, there's still the back catalog and at least some people trying to better preserve it these days compared to the mid 2000s when there was no consistency to the care and quality taken with it. It's here I'd like to take Disney's hands away and let Criterion, Shout! Kino etc take over at least some distribution.

There are also other ways to engage with the product/brand beyond the official outlets. Fan produced content, documentation and commentary has become more appealing and valuable than ever as a result. I'm hoping to contribute more to that in the future.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Lol. I’m going with that because it is a fact.

Disney stock performed generally very well in the decade before Covid. To imply otherwise is absurd.
Not true. Look at the stock performance compared to the broader indexes. DIS was right in line.

Now though….

Casper Gutman

The stock under the current regime at one point was off around 60% from its most recent high. How can you not say that their stewardship of the company has not been reckless and destructive?
The entire industry has been rocked by unprecedented changes since the days the stock was overinflated. Paramount is dead. WB is dying. Their is no “new normal” in sight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom