Unsure who to vote for regarding the Walt Disney Co. Board

Laketravis

Being distinct and public means more pressure to be able to openly scrutinize more operational details. That’s not good for a business that really needs to be looked at as a whole with a variety of loss leaders that consumer a lot of resources.

I'm being a bit sarcastic here but I'm not aware of a single loss leader left at WDW 😁

EricsBiscuit

Then how does Comcast do it and why can't Disney work like that?
I’m not sure Comcast is doing it either. Smaller companies with energetic leaders AND owners perform better than lethargic titans
Not really. You just spin off the companies. Shareholders would be issued shares in the new ABC/ESPN business proportional with your ownership interest in Disney. The two independent firms would probably be worth 50% more than the current existing valuation. Shareholders would be happy and The Walt Disney Company would be leaner, while ESPN and ABC could take some of Disney's debt load and then pay dividends until it ceases to exist.
This. 100% this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not really. You just spin off the companies. Shareholders would be issued shares in the new ABC/ESPN business proportional with your ownership interest in Disney. The two independent firms would probably be worth 50% more than the current existing valuation. Shareholders would be happy and The Walt Disney Company would be leaner, while ESPN and ABC could take some of Disney's debt load and then pay dividends until it ceases to exist.
They’d have to show that the spinoff was a successful proposition

ABC and espn peaked 15 years ago.

That’s not conjecture…it’s fact.

Wall Street is telling the “market” that they don’t see huge growth in DIS…it’s been a couple of years here…losing when the markets have gained…way behind their media competitors.

Hell..:they’ve Gained $10 bucks in the free money, love without consequences market of the last few weeks…and are STILL lagging.

Everyone wins! Just some not so much

Disone

With one notable exception, Peltz has harmed every company he's had a board seat on.

He absolutely could. He would be devastating for the board.

Influence - Peltz has a history of strongarming people on the board to get his way; he leaks info, puts pressure on the other board members.

Peltz has a poor track record with companies. Why would we want him to come in?

No, I'm advocating against Peltz because he has a poor track record. The companies he has been on the board of have done worse, not better. He always talks a good game before hand but when he's actually on a board, his focus is profit-taking.

As I said above, that's not his track record- he talks a good game to get the board seat, but then historically he drives companies into the ground.

Besides, he stated no new investment in parks unless a definitive ROI can be shown. That's exactly what we DON'T want, because not every park improvement generates obvious ROI, but the sum total does. That's code for only doing improvmements that will generate immediate revenue, like Genie+, or special-ticket attractions, etc.

Look, Iger is not great, but Peltz would be a disaster. If he gets on the board, it will destroy the company.
This is worth a repost.

Peltz is not trying to save Disney. Peltz is an "activist investor" who has never saved anything. Jay Hates Disney and hates Iger even more.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is worth a repost.

Peltz is not trying to save Disney. Peltz is an "activist investor" who has never saved anything. Jay Hates Disney and hates Iger even more.
And yet even with all that in play…Iger is STILL DONE.

He’s just the last fool to know…

Ok…there are a half dozen still around here…but they’re all poor so we don’t mind them

Fido Chuckwagon

I've followed very slightly the whole Nelson Peltz, etc, board fight going on but am conflicted regarding who to vote for. I love Disney World, have been disappointed by what I see as a decline in innovation and the feeling of them resting on their laurels in the theme park space and confused by the direction they have taken with their entertainment properties. I'm considering voting for Peltz and Rasulo for the board but admit I have fairly limited knowledge of what they actually plan to do to improve things and how they would go about it. I'd appreciate any informed opinions members here could give me both for and against the board members up for a vote. Thanks!
If you like the parks and products and aren’t looking to just maximize shareholder value, then don’t vote for Peltz.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger needs to go. Peltz having a hand in choosing his successor is not something that we need or should want.
Again…that would indicate it’s a binary choice

Other board members can be elected that don’t fall into those “camps”…then a successor search - a legit one for the first time since 1984 - and a definitive transition date…

It alls makes sense…so it might be crazy enough to work? 🤔

el_super

ABC and ESPN are falling faster than the rest of TWDC can realistically grow to offset their losses. The problem is only going to get worse. They can only milk them for so much longer. It’s time the company was split up.

Huh? This doesn't make sense.

If ESPN and ABC were losing money why wouldn't Disney just shutter them?
If they were losing money and a potential buyer thought they could turn the business around, why couldn't Disney?
If ESPN and ABC were still making money, just not as much, why wouldn't Disney want that money?

They either still have value or they don't, and splitting them off from the rest of the company doesn't really change that.

Laketravis

"Turbocharging Disney Parks........"

Yet it was the last sector to be mentioned under forward strategy:

"Disney is also prioritizing strategic investments to turbocharge growth in our Experiences business, and is planning to invest ~$60 billion in capital over the next 10 years to enhance and expand domestic and international parks, as well as cruise line capacity. We know the attractive return prospects of these investments for shareholders and are confident in the growth potential of these investments given our wealth of IP, innovative technology, buildable land and unmatched creativity"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom