Unsettling “security” checks.

scout68

Original Poster
Oh God, this rant again?
Its been in place for nearly 2 years.
At first yes it was invasive but they toned it down within the first couple of months.
They don't look through your belognings.
If you had the latch on the door they could not have walked right in while you were in there.
They always knock. Clearly you did not respond and they entered as they are trained to.
Its really only a minor inconvenience overall and if you are sleeping or otherwise indisposed they will gladly come back later.
I'm well aware that its simply security theater but its not the worst thing in the world and from now on you can choose to stay somewhere els.e
I’m sorry if this a re-hashed topic but we haven’t been here in a year and a half. It’s not a minor inconvenience to us and obviously that’s what matters to... us. The fact that the latch would stop them isn’t the point. It’s the fact that they are repeatedly ignoring their own policy of reaching out via phone if the placard is in place is the real issue. I fear you’ve missed this entirely.

We are DVC and although your brutally simplistic advice to “stay somewhere else” is easy for you to type , it is t as easy to implement for people who have invested in the high quality accommodations that is the DVC.

OH, and , If it’s a topic you are clearly tired of seeing, why did you post a completely worthless reply. You can certainly choose to post somewhere else. 😝

Lilofan

Certain places you don't have to worry about the cleaning crew cleaning you out. WDW is one of those places. I have always just left my valuables out, and never an issue. Especially true on DCL.
DCL probably have more trust worthy staff since if the person gets caught violating policy that person gets a one way ticket back to their homeland.

scout68

Original Poster
I've never understood why people skip the cleaning service. It's paid for! Yes, I travel with valuables and simply stash them away. Lock your suitcase if you're worried. I'm happy to see the ladies vacuum and change the sheets / towels and always leave a nice tip and sometimes a thank you note. It's a small kindness for people working to give me a better experience. As a bonus it has resulted in extras like pin sets for us...

The cleaning ladies are trying to make a living and I like a tidy room. A win-win... And security will never bother you.
The cleaning service isn’t an assumed detail in a DVC room. (Sorry I didn’t mention that)

scout68

Original Poster
Disney is 100% within their rights to do this on their property. They fully disclose in advance that they are doing it and as said above, they've been doing it for multiple years now. It doesn't really matter whether you personally like it or not, it's their property and their liability if something inappropriate happens on their property. If they were not doing this and something happened, they would be held liable and the whole world would be screaming 'why didn't you do something to prevent this?' They are protecting themselves as well as the guests at the resort.

If it does indeed offend you that much there are tens of thousands of other hotel rooms in the Orlando area that you can choose from. Complaining about this one is not going to stop it from happening.
I agree with you and am aware they are within their rights. I politely disagree that it doesn’t matter weather I like it or not. Of course it matters. Perhaps one man’s opinion doesn’t have a huge seismic impact but if enough people voice their displeasure with something; even the biggest companies listen. Oh and please save the “if you don’t like it go somewhere else” regurgitation. It’s weak and short sided. When enough people like you bow down, big companies rush to give you a better experience... NOT. Everyone should speak up when rights and privileges are snipped. Otherwise experiences and pleasures are hollowed out for profit and greed, until we all just take what is given. Pretty bleak. But if that’s good for you than that’s your prerogative. It’s not for me. I’ve been coming here for a long time and have seen things go from spectacular to dismal and back (in some cases). Most of what brings those things back is an outcry from us. The folks lining the pockets of the folks looking to have their pockets lined.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Your initial assumption about Las Vegas is not entirely accurate. The bigger issue for hotels is actually human trafficking and specifically kids. Disney is a prime target for that and they will look in rooms for that reason. That’s also why checking luggage at check in would not address the issue. They will do the search on their schedule because if they tell people they are coming all evidence would be gotten rid of including the kids.

The total stranger is a Disney employee so you shouldn’t have concerns.

Who is going to pay Disney prices to host their trafficked kids when they can be minutes away for a fraction of the cost and with 10x better accessibility?

unmitigated disaster

Who is going to pay Disney prices to host their trafficked kids when they can be minutes away for a fraction of the cost and with 10x better accessibility?
Lots of people. You think Jeffrey Epstein and his ilk stayed at a Motel 6? Plus lots of people think "it's a ritzy resort; no one would ever traffic kids/set up a meth lab/etc. here. " Yes they do.

Lilofan

Trafficked kids ( aka the world's oldest profession), does the businessman, married man on vacation, local John Doe, celebrity, really care that the hottie at the Four Seasons hotel bar by Golden Oak is really 21😉? Since they are at Disney, the men just want their dreams to come true 😄. These kids could probably write a book on who their clientele really are.. What happens in Disney, stays in Disney..

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Ok then you can let them in at the time.
You either missed the point or you ducked when it went by.

If there's a sign on the door that says I'm in the room, and I'm asleep, if someone knocks and wakes me up just to tell me they're sorry for disturbing me, then I'm not going to react in a friendly, "don't worry about it" manner.

Trafficked kids ( aka the world's oldest profession), does the businessman, married husband on vacation, local John Doe, celebrity, really care that the hottie at the Four Seasons hotel bar by Golden Oak is really 21😉? Since they are at Disney, the men just want their dreams to come true 😄. These kids could probably write a book on who their clientele really are.. What happens in Disney, stays in Disney..
:mad:
There's a big difference between some teen-aged trollop trolling for johns on their own, and someone who's been kidnapped, drugged, beaten and threatened with death or disfigurement being forced to prostitute themselves.

To paraphrase Steven Stills, "one thing that human trafficking ain't, is funny."

Last edited:

NickMaio

Oh God, this rant again?
Its been in place for nearly 2 years.
At first yes it was invasive but they toned it down within the first couple of months.
They don't look through your belognings.
If you had the latch on the door they could not have walked right in while you were in there.
They always knock. Clearly you did not respond and they entered as they are trained to.
Its really only a minor inconvenience overall and if you are sleeping or otherwise indisposed they will gladly come back later.
I'm well aware that its simply security theater but its not the worst thing in the world and from now on you can choose to stay somewhere els.e
4 out of 6 day is toned down..........
This is complete and total BS no matter how you put it.
When we stayed at WDW we never experienced this.....it was a while ago though.
Such a wild abuse of authority. We would never stay in a place where staff could walk in at any moment for a "security" check?
That's just nuts to me. But hey we are Canadian
We leave our home doors unlocked most of the time🤗

John park hopper

4 out of 6 day is toned down..........
This is complete and total BS no matter how you put it.
When we stayed at WDW we never experienced this.....it was a while ago though.
Such a wild abuse of authority. We would never stay in a place where staff could walk in at any moment for a "security" check?
That's just nuts to me. But hey we are Canadian
We leave our home doors unlocked most of the time🤗
Live in a small town In SC we don't lock our doors either

Lilofan

You either missed the point or you ducked when it went by.

If there's a sign on the door that says I'm in the room, and I'm asleep, if someone knocks and wakes me up just to tell me they're sorry for disturbing me, then I'm not going to react in a friendly, "don't worry about it" manner.

:mad:
There's a big difference between some teen-aged trollop trolling for johns on their own, and someone who's been kidnapped, drugged, beaten and threatened with death or disfigurement being forced to prostitute themselves.

To paraphrase Steven Stills, "one thing that human trafficking ain't, is funny."
Let's be realistic please. The drugged out beaten girls selling themselves are showcased in the movies to show this sad way of life. Does one think all these girls work for themselves? They owe someone a debt of something such as "welcome to the USA, now start paying your debt off".. We would be foolish to believe that Security is blind to these services to clients. As long as they are not causing a disturbance to other guests in the hotel, then life goes on.. And we think it couldn't happen at Disney? 😧

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

Over the years how many cases of meth labs, prostitution, child trafficking, weapons etc have been found in resort rooms to justify these "security checks"? Is this an excuse to make sure you don't have people in the room you have not payed for?
I work at a resort - though in Arizona - and we've had meth labs.

Child trafficking or sex trafficking? I don't know but honestly, being only 75 miles from Mexico, probably most hotels here have unwittingly played host to it at some point.

Again, the corporation that my hotel is part of makes everyone likely to be in contact with guests watch a video on sex trafficking every year. This year it got massively revamped - most probably due to the whole Jeffrey Epstein case - and the things they told us to look out for are less stereotypically pimp and hooker and much more "this can happen at any socioeconomic level".

NickMaio

Yes yes yes.....but who gave WDW authority to randomly come into guest rooms. Even the police and FBI need probable cause or evidence to enter.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could tolerate this behaviour. Anywhere, let alone on vacation.

What's next? WDW security barging into bathroom stalls looking for people trafficking or paying for lewd acts.....seriously though. Where do you as a customer draw the line.

I had no idea this occurred in WDW resorts. Mind has been blown.
Now that I know, we will never set foot in a WDW resort again.....as long as this practice is in effect.
So crazy......

Lilofan

Yes yes yes.....but who gave WDW authority to randomly come into guest rooms. Even the police and FBI need probable cause or evidence to enter.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could tolerate this behaviour. Anywhere, let alone on vacation.

What's next? WDW security barging into bathroom stalls looking for people trafficking or paying for lewd acts.....seriously though. Where do you as a customer draw the line.

I had no idea this occurred in WDW resorts. Mind has been blown.
Now that I know, we will never set foot in a WDW resort again.....as long as this practice is in effect.
So crazy......
Private property means they can make up their own policy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom