Unpopular opinions about the parks?

Splash4eva

It all seems like personal preference for the most part. Even Genie+ some vouch for because of the same-day bookings. Paper could be hard but it seemed simple at the time. Fastpass+ worked well and got more and more polished over time, but it was still not without its flaws. In addition, people tend to remember the extremes of things, both the extreme good and the extreme bad. For the most part, I’ve had no issues with most of these different iterations of the skip the line options.
I agree there and honestly ive used Genie a decent amount of times now and have had pretty good experiences since 1st using it basically when it was introduced as my trip was right after it was implemented.

Splash4eva

The Fastpass+ days were before I moved to Florida, so I can’t vouch for anything outside of the holidays. I’ve travelled with grandparents, who’ve insisted on booking their own passes. The system was complicated for them, and the best ride they got was spaceship earth at Epcot. I’ve had good and bad experiences with Fastpass+, so I can’t really say I’m anything but neutral. I like that without the skip the line options you could be more spontaneous, but it did mean devoting more time for some rides. I don’t think any system was that much better or worse than another, but they all had different strengths and weaknesses.
People just feel that if there are no skip the line systems lines would miraculously disappear and thats just not the case for most days at Disney now or the recent past at least. I was there last summer and parks were light for most part but why wait on lines if you can skip the lines?

BlakeW39

Original Poster
I’ve always thought AK had the best theming of any park, but I’ve never thought it was necessary the best park. Visiting with kids has opened my eyes to this issue more. As a family park, it’s decent. I too think Disney CAN add IP in the Dinoland corner. This is for a few reasons:

1: It’s tucked away so it won’t mess with the overall theme, but it will add something for kids to do. Sure, the park is for families as a whole and not just kids, but I think AK is severely lacking for anyone under 7-10.

2: As you stated, the theming requirement is too strict. There’s not enough that can go into the park with how strict it is theming wise. It doesn’t have “lands”, as much as the park is really one continuous land.

3: Even in its glory, Dinoland was ugly. I love Dinosaur, but everything else sucks.

I think Disney can add Moana where Dinoland is and continue the conservation and nature theme. After all, much of the film is about Moana handling “diseased” trees and rotating the fishing grounds to maintain enough fish in each of the fishing regions to produce a viable amount of offspring for the next season. Leave out the supernatural force and it sounds like a perfect fit for AK!

Zootopia would be fine in the back corner. It would be separated from the rest of the park and would not distract from the overall theme. If anyone despises of it, just don’t walk over there! Besides the Dinosaur ride they would likely just reskin as a police chase ride, everything in this land would be an extension of AK that wasn’t there before.

oof, hard disagree there. Last thing DAK needs is more cheesy IP to break down its otherwise consistent theming. To address your points individually:

1. if an IP has to be tucked away in the corner of DAK, so that it doesn't ruin the rest of the park, then maybe it just doesn't belong in the first place? There are plenty of ways to include more kid-friendly attractions at DAK without forcing in some random intellectual property.

2. the theming requirement for DAK isn't 'too strict.' You can do plenty of different things with the basic premise of a wildlife theme park. Animals real, extinct, and imaginary are all fair game. There just aren't that many IPs that would fit, but that's a problem with Disney only wanting to use IPs in its parks, not DAK having a strict theme.

Also, the park isn't just one continuous land. I think what you're describing is just a thematically consistent park. It's what a theme park looks like when it isn't just a hodge podge of different random stuff. All the lands at DAK have the same basic themes, but they explore those themes in different ways, and they have different sub themes as well. So there are different lands, but they all follow the same thematic guidelines, making the park more than just the sum of its parts. Which imo is what makes it the best park in Orlando.

3. Agreed. Dinoland kinda sucked. But, that's not an excuse to replace it with something silly like Moana or Zootopia. Like I said Moana would be better than Zootopia, but it's still not a great fit for the park and various non-IP options would work much better. Obviously that's not gonna happen, but without Rohde, I don't think TWDC will make any effort to try and keep the park's themes in tact. They didn't with EPCOT or DHS 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

NelsonRD

I kind of like Journey into Imagination with Figment, and have defended it over time on this forum.

As a kid from the 80's my memories of the original, specifically the literature room, was terrifying.

Andrew25

There are only 2 "skip the line" options I believe work fairly:

1. Universal's Express System - premium price for a premium offering, limits the # of guests who actually use it to prevent the standby/express ratio to be out of wack like Lightning Lane has unfortunately done.
2. Volcano Bay Tapu Tapu- this only works at a park that has enough "non-ride" experiences with high capacity (ala Epcot). Why make people wait 90+ minutes for Frozen/Ratatouille when you can provide an actual Virtual Queue and you could direct them to one of the World Showcase theaters? I would much rather get in line virtually for 90 minutes, not be allowed to enter at another attraction, and wait it out at the American Adventure and Impressions de France.

kong1802

My unpopular opinions:

Disney Food as a whole. Character meals, food booths, special snacks. I have never found any of it to be worth the time and effort to get ADR's or seek them out.

AK - Still a half a day park at best.

Character M&G's are a waste of park time.

Jrb1979

Not sure how unpopular these are:

1. Dark rides > thrill rides
2. All standby lines > skip-the-line options
I would the say the first is a very popular opinion at least on this board. To go a long with the unpopular opinion topic and the thrill ride post majority of people don't give thrill rides a chance.

DisneyFanatic12

Halloween parties shouldn't be help in August.
HHN is much better than MNSSHP
Fun fact: Disney (and Universal) celebrate Halloween longer than Christmas!

I don’t think MNSSHP is that good, but it does put you in the Halloween mood. If I liked haunted houses and stuff I’d probably love HHN, but it’s just not for me.

Smugpugmug

Halloween parties shouldn't be help in August.
HHN is much better than MNSSHP
I'm not sure if that second one is even an unpopular opinion. When it comes to Halloween, Universal dominates in terms of their party. I'm going this year and I can't wait. I'll be skipping MNNSHP as it doesn't interest me.

DisneyFanatic12

Brace yourselves for this one… it’s gonna be real unpopular with some:

1. I’ve already argued for it on this forum, but here we go… AK is the worst park in terms of value. If you’re vacationing, the only purpose it serves is to tap your magic band so you can go to a different park at 2:00. It NEEDS more rides. Right now, it’s a bad zoo and not a great theme park. It needs to be a theme park that happens to have zoo elements at it.

2. Moana can work really well in animal kingdom. What does she do in the movie? She has to take care of her village by chopping down diseased trees, rotating the fishing waters, etc. Most of the duties of the chief are about conservation! In addition, the land could be mostly forested. Also… the ocean isn’t represented at the park at all!

3. The World of Pandora is the best thing to happen to AK.

Jrb1979

1. I’ve already argued for it on this forum, but here we go… AK is the worst park in terms of value. If you’re vacationing, the only purpose it serves is to tap your magic band so you can go to a different park at 2:00. It NEEDS more rides. Right now, it’s a bad zoo and not a great theme park. It needs to be a theme park that happens to have zoo elements at it.

2. Moana can work really well in animal kingdom. What does she do in the movie? She has to take care of her village by chopping down diseased trees, rotating the fishing waters, etc. Most of the duties of the chief are about conservation! In addition, the land could be mostly forested. Also… the ocean isn’t represented at the park at all!

Busch Gardens Tampa is better than AK.

kong1802

I agree with all 3!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom