Unpopular Disney World Opinions

Prototype82

1. Rivers of Light with its original storyline and shamans was the best nighttime show WDI has ever created.

2. Mission: SPACE is an amazing ride.

3. El Rio Del Tiempo was better than Gran Fiesta Tour.

4. Martin Short, while charming, was too silly in O Canada and the new show is vastly better.

SteveBrickNJ

1) With the exception of Journey Into Imagination, Epcot 1.0 was not nearly as good you remember. Especially Horizons.

2) The original Disney MGM Studios, while enjoyable, was not worth a repeat visit.

3) "Now is the Time" was a better song than "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

4) Disney food can be bland and texture-less because that's what most Americans prefer.

5) Dinosaur: Countdown to Extinction is actually a pretty good ride.

6) Disneyland park is better than the Magic Kingdom.

7) A lot of things at Disney World are actually better now than they used to be.
#4 is a bit harsh. Am I alone in disagreeing with #4's premise that most Americans PREFER food that is bland and texture-less?

The Empress Lilly

Perhaps this isn't the place to ask this, but can I ask by which standard you believe this to be true? I've never heard anyone express this about DHS and I'm curious what it was about that specific time period that makes you feel this way.
I loved DHS! Even early to even middle of last decade, when it received a lot of flak.

Few rides, but each one excellent. I can do ToT. RnRC and ST an infinite number of times each day. The GMR and TSMM are excellent too. Add in a show or two of Indy, Mermaid, BatB or the Muppets (love all of them), plus a choice of Fantasmic or the hub fireworks show and it's a perfect day for me. All in the magnificent setting of classic Hollywood, one that is at once stylish and melancholic, timeless and historic. Glamorous too. At times a bit whimsy (bordering on too much for me, but it stays within acceptable limits).

In short, perfect atmosphere in the park's front half, combined with terrific attraction roster.
Contrast that with an EPCOT that never recovered from the Epcotalypse of the late 90s, an MK that has been turned into a zoo, and a DAK that a few years ago really was the half day park instead of the fabulous DHS.

I think the new DHS of the last few years received lavish funding but lost a lot of its charm. I think I'll apply my lessons learned from Foxxfurr: I'm sure the new DHS has its audience, perhaps simply the new Disney audience, but it is not quite for me.

yensidtlaw1969

I think if the little ones were asked their opinions on their Disney vacation, the overwhelming response would be "EXCELLENT!!" .
Unpopular Opinion - given that I agree this is true, children should not be used as the standard by which the park offerings are measured.

If the kids are gonna have a good time no matter what, then they really need to make sure to account for how things will entertain the older age groups. Especially since they're the ones buying the park passes.

That can be taken in balance with "something for everyone" instead of "everything for everyone". There's room for offerings that target specific demographics if MOST of the offerings can entertain all ages. But the idea that so many things get a pass because "the kids love it!" doesn't fly and encourages Disney to play to the lowest common denominator.

Most of the time adults should be able to enjoy it too - that was practically the point of Disneyland.

yensidtlaw1969

I loved DHS! Even early to even middle of last decade, when it received a lot of flak.

Few rides, but each one excellent. I can do ToT. RnRC and ST an infinite number of times each day. The GMR and TSMM are excellent too. Add in a show or two of Indy, Mermaid, BatB or the Muppets (love all of them), plus a choice of Fantasmic or the hub fireworks show and it's a perfect day for me. All in the magnificent setting of classic Hollywood, one that is at once stylish and melancholic, timeless and historic. Glamorous too. At times a bit whimsy (bordering on too much for me, but it stays within acceptable limits).

In short, perfect atmosphere in the park's front half, combined with terrific attraction roster.
Contrast that with an EPCOT that never recovered from the Epcotalypse of the late 90s, an MK that has been turned into a zoo, and a DAK that a few years ago really was the half day park instead of the fabulous DHS.

I think the new DHS of the last few years received lavish funding but lost a lot of its charm. I think I'll apply my lessons learned from Foxxfurr: I'm sure the new DHS has its audience, perhaps simply the new Disney audience, but it is not quite for me.
I actually don't disagree with a lot of this - the thing that got me was that you said 5 years ago specifically, since that's generally regarded as a darker time in the history of that park. But I can see why, given the context of how the other parks were faring at the time, DHS might have been offering the most pleasant park-going experience.

I can definitely agree that DHS has lost charm with the new offerings. The park definitely doesn't offer up a tangible identity anymore, which is sad because it does have such a great base to work from. I think if they leaned a little harder back into the "Old Hollywood" theme people would really respond to it these days. Glamour is a good word for it - what other WDW park offers Glamour? They should play that up, it's a unique vibe in the WDW Portfolio.

I'll also say that for all the things there are to like about Star Wars Land I think they sort of botched its thematic integration to the park. Bad enough that Star Tours sits several blocks away for no visible good reason (and what's the deal with Launch Bay??), but adding a whole Toy Story Land next door and then scattering Frozen, Cars, and the Incredibles throughout with none of it relating to what the rest of the lands do makes DHS seem like "the place where we put the IP's" rather than something with a meaningful mission about stepping into the magic of film making (which still would have worked) or their new thing about living *your own *Insert Movie Here* Adventure!".

The park needed to be reframed in a way that makes sense of all the places that were already there and all the new ones being added, and it's like they didn't even try. They just built what they wanted where they wanted and hoped no one cared enough to notice that none of it makes sense if you're experiencing the park for the first time. It feels like a movie where every other thing was "left over from an earlier draft" but should have actually been written out if it didn't serve the script anymore. Another case of WDW losing the forest for the trees.

Lilofan

Unpopular Opinion - given that I agree this is true, children should not be used as the standard by which the park offerings are measured.

If the kids are gonna have a good time no matter what, then they really need to make sure to account for how things will entertain the older age groups. Especially since they're the ones buying the park passes.

That can be taken in balance with "something for everyone" instead of "everything for everyone". There's room for offerings that target specific demographics if MOST of the offerings can entertain all ages. But the idea that so many things get a pass because "the kids love it!" doesn't fly and encourages Disney to play to the lowest common denominator.

Most of the time adults should be able to enjoy it too - that was practically the point of Disneyland.
Some companies, TWDC included surely must also take into consideration, the kid's point of view ( beyond excellent ratings) when looking into current and future offerings. It's just common sense.

The Empress Lilly

I actually don't disagree with a lot of this - the thing that got me was that you said 5 years ago specifically, since that's generally regarded as a darker time in the history of that park. But I can see why, given the context of how the other parks were faring at the time, DHS might have been offering the most pleasant park-going experience.

I can definitely agree that DHS has lost charm with the new offerings. The park definitely doesn't offer up a tangible identity anymore, which is sad because it does have such a great base to work from. I think if they leaned a little harder back into the "Old Hollywood" theme people would really respond to it these days. Glamour is a good word for it - what other WDW park offers Glamour? They should play that up, it's a unique vibe in the WDW Portfolio.

I'll also say that for all the things there are to like about Star Wars Land I think they sort of botched its thematic integration to the park. Bad enough that Star Tours sits several blocks away for no visible good reason (and what's the deal with Launch Bay??), but adding a whole Toy Story Land next door and then scattering Frozen, Cars, and the Incredibles throughout with none of it relating to what the rest of the lands do makes DHS seem like "the place where we put the IP's" rather than something with a meaningful mission about stepping into the magic of film making (which still would have worked) or their new thing about living *your own *Insert Movie Here* Adventure!".

The park needed to be reframed in a way that makes sense of all the places that were already there and all the new ones being added, and it's like they didn't even try. They just built what they wanted where they wanted and hoped no one cared enough to notice that none of it makes sense if you're experiencing the park for the first time. It feels like a movie where every other thing was "left over from an earlier draft" but should have actually been written out if it didn't serve the script anymore. Another case of WDW losing the forest for the trees.
I picked 5 years ago for 'after the closure of the Backlot but before the GMR', and before many of the new changes took place. Such as replacement of shops, background music, entrance works and new lands. DHS at its leanest, and most maligned Yet with many of its strongest points intact.

UNCgolf

The "Old Hollywood" theme is the best part of the park, and it's unfortunate how much they've already moved away from that.

Galaxy's Edge is fantastic, but Toy Story Land is not -- and neither really fit the park. Additionally, the transition from Toy Story Land to Galaxy's Edge is pretty jarring. I'm not sure what else they could have done, but it's really lackluster compared to entering/exiting Galaxy's Edge from the "main" entrance.

It definitely feels like Hollywood Studios is now the place to just stick in whatever IP they can't fit in somewhere else.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Some companies, TWDC included surely must also take into consideration, the kid's point of view ( beyond excellent ratings) when looking into current and future offerings. It's just common sense.
That's what I said - there's room for that and obviously it makes sense, but the kids are the easiest to please out of everyone and most projects should not be built simply to their satisfaction.

I think the balance is currently off, and that too many adults (internally and externally) are willing to let it slide "because the kids like ______". That should only apply to a very small minority of projects, most things should be able to be enjoyed by children and adults alike.

UNCgolf

I picked 5 years ago for 'after the closure of the Backlot but before the GMR', and before many of the new changes took place. Such as replacement of shops, background music, entrance works and new lands. DHS at its leanest, and most maligned Yet with many of its strongest points intact.

I don't know that DHS was ever the best Disney park. I love Animal Kingdom (even before Expedition Everest opened, but certainly after), and EPCOT wasn't as barren before EE opened even if it was far from its height. But I still loved the post Tower of Terror DHS and agree with almost every part of your earlier post, with the exception of Toy Story Midway Mania which I think is absolutely terrible and a waste of space. But even it was more impressive when it opened than it is now (still didn't think it was good, but it wasn't nearly as outdated).

yensidtlaw1969

The "Old Hollywood" theme is the best pary of the park, and it's unfortunate how much they've already moved away from that.

Galaxy's Edge is fantastic, but Toy Story Land is not -- and neither really fit the park. Additionally, the transition from Toy Story Land to Galaxy's Edge is pretty jarring. I'm not sure what else they could have done, but it's really lackluster compared to entering/exiting Galaxy's Edge from the "main" entrance.

It definitely feels like Hollywood Studios is now the place to just stick in whatever IP they can't fit in somewhere else.
I almost wish they had stuck with a "working studio" theme, only this time made it a romantic, "dream" version of what we imagine the Disney Studio Lot to be. Like how it is in Roger Rabbit, where the Studio is "real" and everything's a production, but the cartoons aren't animated, they're performed by live Toon Actors. "Mickey Mouse plays Mickey Mouse, what do you mean "who's his voice actor?".

Then the transitions between lands can be set up like you're walking onto a new film set on the lot, but as you enter the set it bleeds away into the immersive environment they built. You walk onto the set of a new Star Wars movie being filmed with Rey and Chewie, only to be magically transported into the world of Star Wars "for real". And same for whatever franchise they want to build within the park. Star Tours already does a version of this and it seems to work well enough. A more drawn-out and intentional version of that could have worked well.

This could have worked with Runaway Railway, too - you could purport that this is the premiere of a new short that was filmed right on the studio lot in the park. You could even have kept the name Disney's Hollywood Studios! Only now you're visiting the "dream" version of it instead of the more concrete, working version that was sadly lost over time. Then the park is part "Hollywood that never was and always will be" and part "Disney Studio Lot", with both parts creating similar, heightened, idealistic spaces that could only exist through the lens of "the Magic of Disney".

But now I think I've drifted a little too far off topic. I guess my (possibly) unpopular opinion is that in overhauling the park they didn't get it right. They built some cool new things, but they forgot to rewrite the mission of the park into something that makes sense of them all together.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The Finding Nemo Musical is boring and I just can't take it seriously with actors holding fake fish above their heads. I call it Fish Sticks the Musical.

Dinosaur's plot is too campy for me, and it's too dark and loud to be enjoyable.

They should replace WDW's Pirates with the Shanghai version

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom