Universal vs. Disney

pilka214

in my opinion WDW and US are both great places to go..... i have stayed a weekend at universal a couple times and i have stayed at disney many more times. and i immensely enjoy both.

But when it comes down to it, they're just different.

Disney is for the whole family, very few rides exclude young children, it's a family event

Universal on the other hand only has a handful of attractions which young children will enjoy, however they appeal to an older audience.

but what people are saying is true, disney has no new big surprises and universal just keeps on pulling them out.

Captain Chaos

i really think the whole disney vs universal debate is exclusive to locals. i live in new york and let me tell you, universal is not even a blip on the radar here. ya people know it exists but its more of a something to do if you have an extra day while at disney thing. trust me when i say this, nobody is going to fly to florida to go to universal studios. thrill rides are everywhere in the country. only one place has the magic, thats disney.

I am not sure that's entirely true... I know a few people who have went to Orlando for the sole purpose of staying on Universal property and going to Universal.. They didn't even take a day for Disney.. Their entire week was Universal.. So, people from this area do fly to Florida to go to Universal...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Many from the UK dont "do" Disney as, thanks to their marketing, its a kiddy park. So many Brits will simply buy the Orlando Flex ticket. And as the largest overseas visitor group thats a reasonable slice of business and would seem to indicate some pull to the Orlando area.

As for clothing, I wonder if the conspiracy Colins have ever worn a Universal T shirt to The Whispering Canyon, surely the result of which would induce a coronary? But then as non universal visitors they are unlikely to have such an item anyway.:shrug:

And I have to check, we are still only talking about theme parks here? Not real life?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I wore a Universal Studios shirt to EPCOT Center once and was harassed by some CM's standing by the lagoon...that was in 1991.

floridianboy26

For those who have been to disney we all know Disney is the Big Dog..lol..(Mouse) on the block but has more hotels,resturants,then Unversial and makes more the Universal Orlando...Yes I agree Disney doe's need to upgrade 2 new attractions.I was on a thread a couple yrs.back and it was talking about ideals for new attractions and 1 ideal I had was make an attraction based on the movie Atlantis:The Lost Empire and then follow it up with Atlantis:Milo's Return and have Milo as your travel guild and basically have is follow Milos adventure with the Lavitan and have it set as a ride like underwater..As far as Universal they should make rides based on newly soon to be released movies such as Transfomers,GI Joe,X-Men Orgins:Wolverine,and follow it up with Prince Of Perisa...Disney also has to come up with new attractions like an attraction Based on Disney's Cars have the attraction set on the backdrop of Lightning McQueens time in Radiator Springs leading up to the big race For the Piston Cup....My thing is if one park has a downfall in rides you must build in another park new rides to have a positive reaction..:cool:

Captain Chaos

For those who have been to disney we all know Disney is the Big Dog..lol..(Mouse) on the block but has more hotels,resturants,then Unversial and makes more the Universal Orlando...Yes I agree Disney doe's need to upgrade 2 new attractions.I was on a thread a couple yrs.back and it was talking about ideals for new attractions and 1 ideal I had was make an attraction based on the movie Atlantis:The Lost Empire and then follow it up with Atlantis:Milo's Return and have Milo as your travel guild and basically have is follow Milos adventure with the Lavitan and have it set as a ride like underwater..As far as Universal they should make rides based on newly soon to be released movies such as Transfomers,GI Joe,X-Men Orgins:Wolverine,and follow it up with Prince Of Perisa...Disney also has to come up with new attractions like an attraction Based on Disney's Cars have the attraction set on the backdrop of Lightning McQueens time in Radiator Springs leading up to the big race For the Piston Cup....My thing is if one park has a downfall in rides you must build in another park new rides to have a positive reaction..:cool:

I believe Disney is actually making Prince of Persia so Universal couldn't make that into an attraction... And Universal already has plans for a Transformers attraction... I don't see GI Joe translating into a good attraction... Wolverine either..

Another wave of CPs came in this weekend. In fact it's the largest deligation yet. Disney favors the CPs and reserves some very good jobs for them that aren't offerend to the rest of the local CMs. This in turn creates turbulance backstage sometimes and at the Casting Office. But I can almost bet that most complaints about Disney CMs are about CPs. Most come to party and some of them don't care about the real reason why they are there.

That's mainly because they're treated like ____!t by the Disney management.

Many from the UK dont "do" Disney as, thanks to their marketing, its a kiddy park. So many Brits will simply buy the Orlando Flex ticket. And as the largest overseas visitor group thats a reasonable slice of business and would seem to indicate some pull to the Orlando area.

As for clothing, I wonder if the conspiracy Colins have ever worn a Universal T shirt to The Whispering Canyon, surely the result of which would induce a coronary? But then as non universal visitors they are unlikely to have such an item anyway.:shrug:

And I have to check, we are still only talking about theme parks here? Not real life?

I've never met anyone that goes to Orlando and doesn't visit Disney..ever.

I know plenty that have never been to Universal though.

The UK market is mainly families. I'd guess that less than 10% is non-families. Therefore everyone is far more likely to go to Disney.

Montyboy

It would be kind of like comparing two movies, such as "Cars" and "Wall-E" for example. Most people who have seen both movies would probably say that there is one they like better than the other. That's very subjective and a matter of personal preference and opinion. If I said I liked "Wall-E" better than "Cars", and I proceeded to list the (honest) merits of both in explaining my preference of "Wall-E", then I'd be expressing my opinion. But what if, instead of going into that explanation, I simply just said that "Cars" wasn't in the same league as "Wall-E", and to back up my claim, I gave ridiculous examples like, "'Cars' is like a high school baseball team whereas 'Wall-E' is like the Yankees." Don't you think that would be somewhat of an outrageous comparison? Especially when the truth is that both films are basically at the same caliber in terms of technology and quality of animation. But by using such a comparison, then anyone who hadn't seen "Cars" (and assuming they put any stock in my claim) would probably be envisioning a movie that was more along the lines of something like "Ice Age".

So you're saying that "Ice Age" is not in the same league as "Cars"? Don't you think that is an outrageous comparison? "Ice Age" even got better reviews than "Cars" and was a bigger success.

Arcterb

I've never met anyone that goes to Orlando and doesn't visit Disney..ever.

I know plenty that have never been to Universal though.

The UK market is mainly families. I'd guess that less than 10% is non-families. Therefore everyone is far more likely to go to Disney.

From all the UK families I've met, the majority vacation in Orlando for two weeks and visit EVERY theme park in the area including Busch Gardens.

I would agree with the 10% comment as I've met just two groups that consisted of adults only and, oddly enough, they both stayed on Universal Property.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Let me just say this. Once Harry Potter land and that new roller coaster are finished more people will come to orlando to visit and naturally they will go to Walt Disney World. But I will say once they see how stale WDW is compared to Universal they won't be coming back to WDW again for a loong time.

By not building exciting new attractions, Disney is loosing customers for LIFE and there reputation will continue to crumble.

jedimaster1227

Let me just say this. Once Harry Potter land and that new roller coaster are finished more people will come to orlando to visit and naturally they will go to Walt Disney World. But I will say once they see how stale WDW is compared to Universal they won't be coming back to WDW again for a loong time.

By not building exciting new attractions, Disney is loosing customers for LIFE and there reputation will continue to crumble.

Tell that to the millions of people (annually) that visit Disney for the first time. I'm sure that the lack of visible "quality" is going to deter them from visiting again... I'm sure it will be stale to them too! :rolleyes:

As I've always said, if you find the place so stale, don't go--and don't complain about it. Its that Debbie Downer attitude that ruins it for those people that don't care about the so-called "stale air" of Disney.

I know I don't find the place stale, and these continued claims of the "lack of magic" don't affect me, but I doubt I'm in the majority. :shrug:

SirGoofy

Do I believe WDW needs to start building some exciting new attractions? Most definitely, but saying that them not building a major attraction in the past 2 years(yes that's all its been, and personally I think TSM is a great new addition) is making them lose a significant amount of customers is honestly ridiculous. After all Harry Potter is the first major addition to IOA in how long? Oh, that's right, the ENTIRE life of the park.

And how is Uni not stale? I'm curious. They add a decent ride in Revenge of the Mummy two years ago, an average level addition in the Simpsons ride(easily surpassed by TSM), and that's it in a while. On top of that these attractions replaced two of their most loved, classic attractions. Whereas IOA hasn't gotten anything since its opening. If anything Universal could be classified as stale far more than WDW.

And btw, before I get flamed as a Uni hater, I own a season pass to Uni, and I enjoy going there a lot.

Captain Chaos

Rememebr when IOA was going to be the park that cut deeply into Disney's attendance?? How has that worked out for Universal???? IOA is a fine park, but, it hasn't made a dent in Disney's attendance. Harry Potter will have an affect, but not as big as people think.. I think Universal's attendance will go up, but not enough to compete with WDW's figures...

agent86

So you're saying that "Ice Age" is not in the same league as "Cars"? Don't you think that is an outrageous comparison? "Ice Age" even got better reviews than "Cars" and was a bigger success.

Yes I'm saying they are not in the same league. It is not about which one you personally prefer, which one got better reviews, or which one made more money. The fact that these are the points you brought up to support your position shows that you don't understand my point. Cars is much more sophisticated animation than Ice Age. They are not in the same league. That's not a matter of opinion. Likewise, Universal and Disney are in the same league as far as theme parks are concerned. They both utilize very similar technologies and styles of attractions. It's not about which one a person likes better (which IS a matter of opinion). It's about representing something accurately and for what it actually is. If somebody dislikes Universal (or Disney for that matter) and wants to post so on here, then no big deal. But to describe either one of those parks as being in the same league as Six Flags is just crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom