Universal vs. Disney

raven

It was during the Not So Scary Party, as I was the "tacky tourist" I wasn't looking for trouble or comments, but did it just to see what happened while I went around the parks normally and enjoying myself as an average guest. There were more negative comments about my costume than positive ones as there weren't any. I even had on a pack, camera around my neck, and an open hawaiian worn over my Universal shirt.

Comments on costumes are to be expected from CMs at MNSSHP, that's a part of the party atmosphere that CMs get into for the night and it's allowed. And again you are saying that you were provoking a negative comment. I, on the other hand, wasn't provoking a comment but trying to be a regular guest at Universal on a normal park day, not a Halloween party.

Comments on costumes are to be expected from CMs at MNSSHP, that's a part of the party atmosphere that CMs get into for the night and it's allowed. And again you are saying that you were provoking a negative comment. I, on the other hand, wasn't provoking a comment but trying to be a regular guest at Universal on a normal park day, not a Halloween party.

So are you saying Universal can't be a fun party-like atmosphere, but Disney can be and call it a magical experience?" Being a party or not, these comments were more harsh than were 'party-like' but more harsh as they gave me a rather nasty look while commenting. I've seen Universal poke fun at Disney plenty of times in attractions and off of other guest's shirts, and they were NEVER harsh, but in a playful manor because the guests did laugh and find it rather amusing and didn't appear to be as offended as you were.

raven

So are you saying Universal can't be a fun party-like atmosphere, but Disney can be and call it a magical experience?" Being a party or not, these comments were more harsh than were 'party-like' but more harsh as they gave me a rather nasty look while commenting. I've seen Universal poke fun at Disney plenty of times in attractions and off of other guest's shirts, and they were NEVER harsh, but in a playful manor because the guests did laugh and find it rather amusing and didn't appear to be as offended as you were.

My point is why did they have to say anything anyway? I could understand it if it were at a special event like a Halloween party but it wasn't. The Mickey Mouse comments said to me (by several employees that day) were unprovoked and sounded rehearsed. My 7 year-old nephew was the one who was offended which in turn made me offended.

Why does Orlando's Universal need to poke fun at Disney at all in their attractions? Disney doesn't need to do this. Universal Studios Hollywood doesn't do it. Can't they rely on their own business to make money instead of having to poke fun at the competition?

agent86

but again it's just not in the same league as Disney. (JUST MY OPINION ... and if anyone, especially agent86, needs a definition of opinion feel free to PM me.)

Hmmmm... Well, you mentioned me twice in your post, so I take that as a personal invitation to respond. I just want to make sure everyone reading is clear on which one of us seems to have the issue of not letting this "opinion/definition" conversation drop. :lol:

Having said that, I think I need to caution everyone not to take you up on your offer to provide them with the definition of the word "opinion". The definition provided to them would very likely be a somewhat skewed one. If you were to say something to the effect of, "I like Universal, but I just like Disney a whole lot more.", then I'd say you've clearly expressed your opinion. Or if you phrased it along the lines of, "Universal is great, but Disney is better.", then once again, that's clearly just an opinion. What you've actually said though (repeatedly) is that "Universal is not in the same league as Disney." This is somewhat of a deviation from simply (and innocently) expressing an opinion. It's more of a misrepresentation of what Universal actually is.

It would be kind of like comparing two movies, such as "Cars" and "Wall-E" for example. Most people who have seen both movies would probably say that there is one they like better than the other. That's very subjective and a matter of personal preference and opinion. If I said I liked "Wall-E" better than "Cars", and I proceeded to list the (honest) merits of both in explaining my preference of "Wall-E", then I'd be expressing my opinion. But what if, instead of going into that explanation, I simply just said that "Cars" wasn't in the same league as "Wall-E", and to back up my claim, I gave ridiculous examples like, "'Cars' is like a high school baseball team whereas 'Wall-E' is like the Yankees." Don't you think that would be somewhat of an outrageous comparison? Especially when the truth is that both films are basically at the same caliber in terms of technology and quality of animation. But by using such a comparison, then anyone who hadn't seen "Cars" (and assuming they put any stock in my claim) would probably be envisioning a movie that was more along the lines of something like "Ice Age".

Basically that's what you've done with your Universal versus Disney comparison. And as I've stated before, anyone who has actually been to Universal knows that's not even remotely an accurate comparison. :rolleyes:

My point is why did they have to say anything anyway? I could understand it if it were at a special event like a Halloween party but it wasn't. The Mickey Mouse comments said to me (by several employees that day) were unprovoked and sounded rehearsed. My 7 year-old nephew was the one who was offended which in turn made me offended.

Why does Orlando's Universal need to poke fun at Disney at all in their attractions? Disney doesn't need to do this. Universal Studios Hollywood doesn't do it. Can't they rely on their own business to make money instead of having to cut the competition down?

Simple: BECAUSE IT'S NOT DISNEY!!!!!

I think that should explain everything for you, but since it won't, let me explain it a little bit more, but not too much since it doesn't seem like you care what I have to say. Disney prides themselves (or claims to anyways) in their CM's providing 'magic' to the guests. Universal has excellent guest service that isn't mentioned, but their Team Members have their own way of going above and beyond (the equivalent of 'magic') which results in them just simply having fun with the guests in a party-like atmosphere. Universal is a fun place to visit, Disney is a 'magical' place to visit. I prefer real fun over illusions of great service through fake smiles and unnatural ubeat attitudes. For me, better guest service comes from someone who is really enjoying their work there, rather than someone who acts like they care. Universal doesn't make fun of Disney in every attraction, just only a couple. However, if Disney started making fun of Universal, I'm sure you'd be laughing and enjoying the little jab at Universal rather than being offended. Those are my two cents, you can underline and bold them however you'd like, I'm done replying to your comments. /rant.

agent86

Why does Orlando's Universal need to poke fun at Disney at all in their attractions? Disney doesn't need to do this. Universal Studios Hollywood doesn't do it. Can't they rely on their own business to make money instead of having to poke fun at the competition?

Let me get this straight....Universal employees were having some fun with you and teasing you about wearing a t-shirt, and you were offended by this...to the point of being genuinely upset? :dazzle: Wow!! You kind of sound like some of the employees at my company who, after attending a Sexual Harassment class, suddenly look for things to be "offended" about, and then run to HR complaining of the littlest annoyances and calling them a "hostile work environment". I'll tell you the same thing we usually tell them....Maybe you need to re-evaluate what you consider to be offensive, so that you can enjoy life more. :wave:

raven

Simple: BECAUSE IT'S NOT DISNEY!!!!!

I think that should explain everything for you, but since it won't, let me explain it a little bit more, but not too much since it doesn't seem like you care what I have to say.

I never asked for your response to my original post. YOU were the one chimed in and told me to relax prompting an arguement.

Disney prides themselves (or claims to anyways) in their CM's providing 'magic' to the guests. Universal has excellent guest service that isn't mentioned, but their Team Members have their own way of going above and beyond (the equivalent of 'magic') which results in them just simply having fun with the guests in a party-like atmosphere.

Like talking on the phone when they should be operating a ride? Or chatting to each other sitting on handrails in the queues making it difficult for guests to pass? Or yelling in your face with a megaphone from a ride platform? All of these are from my one and only visit and I stated that in my post. Yeah, a real party is going there. :rolleyes:

Universal is a fun place to visit, Disney is a 'magical' place to visit. I prefer real fun over illusions of great service through fake smiles and unnatural ubeat attitudes.

And that's YOUR preference, not mine. So don't reply to my post telling me what I should do.

Universal doesn't make fun of Disney in every attraction, just only a couple. However, if Disney started making fun of Universal, I'm sure you'd be laughing and enjoying the little jab at Universal rather than being offended.

That's just it. Disney doen't need to and they don't.

Those are my two cents, you can underline and bold them however you'd like, I'm done replying to your comments. /rant.

And I have. But at least you are done I didn't ask for them anyway.

raven

Let me get this straight....Universal employees were having some fun with you and teasing you about wearing a t-shirt, and you were offended by this...to the point of being genuinely upset? :dazzle: Wow!! You kind of sound like some of the employees at my company who, after attending a Sexual Harassment class, suddenly look for things to be "offended" about, and then run to HR complaining of the littlest annoyances and calling them a "hostile work environment". I'll tell you the same thing we usually tell them....Maybe you need to re-evaluate what you consider to be offensive, so that you can enjoy life more. :wave:

Why can't people read my original post before commenting? :rolleyes:

I DIDN'T ask to be ridiculed for wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt at Universal. My newphew was offended which made me upset because they kept doing it all day and refused to just let us enjoy ourselves. Why did they have to say anything at all? No one ran to HR or even phoned or emailed them after our visit. We simply refused to go back. That's it. And don't lump me into a group of people when you don't know me. I happen to be very laid back and enjoy my life every day. I just don't like unprovoked comments about my choice of clothing from a company when I am a paying guest visiting their park with my family.

agent86

Why can't people read my original post before commenting? :rolleyes:

I DIDN'T ask to be ridiculed for wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt at Universal. My newphew was offended which made me upset because they kept doing it all day and refused to just let us enjoy ourselves. Why did they have to say anything at all? No one ran to HR or even phoned or emailed them after our visit. We simply refused to go back. That's it. And don't lump me into a group of people when you don't know me. I happen to be very laid back and enjoy my life every day. I just don't like unprovoked comments about my choice of clothing from a company when I am a paying guest visiting their park with my family.

You say "unprovoked" as though the only way to "provoke" a comment is to literally ask someone to comment. But to a degree, don't you think that showing up to a place (even as a paying guest) wearing a shirt that advertises the competition is somewhat provoking? I'm not saying there is anything whatsoever wrong with wearing the t-shirt. But I think that to do it and then be put off when employees comment on it is a little naive. We have a Budweiser plant about an hour from where I live, and they give complimentary tours. I'm sure if I showed up for one of their tours wearing a Coors Lite t-shirt, someone would say something to me. From their perspective, it would probably seem intentional as though I was egging them on to say something. In a place like Orlando, I know that people go to Universal all the time wearing Disney shirts, and likewise, I see lots of Universal shirts at Disney (as well as Sea World and others). And yes, I've seen Disney CMs tease guests who wear t-shirts of the competition too, and I've never seen any guest at any park ever react with anything other than a chuckle. It's all in good fun. Lighten up. :rolleyes:

What's funny is you say you can't understand why people don't read your original post, but to read it, you make it sound like you just had something horrible happen to you and you were treated so terribly that you'll never go back. For anyone who hasn't read it, here is an excerpt from it below:

Only visited once and I live right next to Universal. But it only takes one bad experience to ruin the day for me and I will never go back.

That's so funny! You're day was "ruined" because someone teased you about your shirt??

raven

You say "unprovoked" as though the only way to "provoke" a comment is to literally ask someone to comment. But to a degree, don't you think that showing up to a place (even as a paying guest) wearing a shirt that advertises the competition is somewhat provoking? I'm not saying there is anything whatsoever wrong with wearing the t-shirt. But I think that to do it and then be put off when employees comment on it is a little naive. We have a Budweiser plant about an hour from where I live, and they give complimentary tours. I'm sure if I showed up for one of their tours wearing a Coors Lite t-shirt, someone would say something to me. From their perspective, it would probably seem intentional as though I was egging them on to say something. In a place like Orlando, I know that people go to Universal all the time wearing Disney shirts, and likewise, I see lots of Universal shirts at Disney (as well as Sea World and others). And yes, I've seen Disney CMs tease guests who wear t-shirts of the competition too, and I've never seen any guest at any park ever react with anything other than a chuckle. It's all in good fun. Lighten up. :rolleyes:

I have a lot of clothing with Mickey. I guess now I have to apologize for grabbing a hoodie on a cold morning when I got out my car.

Disney isn't an hour away from Universal either like the Busch brewery you went to. In Orlando, clothing with Mickey Mouse on it is sold everywhere, not just in the parks. So the chances of someone wearing it at Universal is very high.

I didn't provoke at all unless wearing a Mickey shirt is considered provoking. It wasn't intensional and the comments made my nephew upset. That's when it goes too far. Call me a prude but I love my family. And I've 'lightened up' by not going to Universal anymore.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Disney ridiculs Universal just as much. I remember once about a year or two back I was eating at the Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge and when they do those activities with the kids as part of the show they made them say some pledge that went something like "and I promise to ahve more fun here than at Universal" or something. So don't think for a second that Disney is somehow above poking fun at Universal.

raven

That's so funny! You're day was "ruined" because someone teased you about your shirt??

Nice editing job. And no it wasn't ruined because of the shirt thing. There were many more things that happened as I stated. You just decided to pick out one part of the post.

Disneyson 1

Personally, I went to Disney with a Woody sweater and a Seaworld poncho, but nobody ever "made fun" of me. You can tell Uni. is WAYY more relaxed in this area, and I'm never upset by this, I'm just upset that they ruin the wonderful illusion that they create.

Verdict: I feel more like I've "escaped" in Disney.

agent86

Nice editing job. And no it wasn't ruined because of the shirt thing. There were many more things that happened as I stated. You just decided to pick out one part of the post.

I invite anyone to read post #183 of this thread and they'll see that I did no "editing" whatsoever on your post. But thanks for falsely accusing me of doing so. :rolleyes:

agent86

I have a lot of clothing with Mickey. I guess now I have to apologize for grabbing a hoodie on a cold morning when I got out my car.

Who said anything about having to apologize for wearing anything with Mickey on it? Man, I hate to keep repeating what I, and others, have said to you already but...lighten up. You're getting way too worked up over this conversation and it's pretty indicative of how I think you got way too worked up over getting teased at Universal.

Disney isn't an hour away from Universal either like the Busch brewery you went to. In Orlando, clothing with Mickey Mouse on it is sold everywhere, not just in the parks. So the chances of someone wearing it at Universal is very high.

If you re-read my last post, you'll see that I stated exactly this same thing. What is your point? You're not pointing out anything that I haven't already said.

I didn't provoke at all unless wearing a Mickey shirt is considered provoking. It wasn't intensional and the comments made my nephew upset. That's when it goes too far. Call me a prude but I love my family. And I've 'lightened up' by not going to Universal anymore.

It's interesting, because all of these comments are in response to my last post (I know this because you've quoted me), but it doesn't seem like you've actually read my post. So I'll state it again.... Yes, visiting any business while wearing a t-shirt that advertises the competition is a form of provoking. As I also stated in my post, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with doing that. But to do so, and then act all shocked and put off when employees there comment on it, is very naive. Would you put on a Red Sox ball cap and then go to Yankee Stadium and sit amongst a bunch of Yankees fans...and then be shocked and dismayed when people said something to you? :hammer:Something tells me you would. :rolleyes:

raven

I invite anyone to read post #183 of this thread and they'll see that I did no "editing" whatsoever on your post. But thanks for falsely accusing me of doing so. :rolleyes:

Here, why don't I do it for you:

Only visited once and I live right next to Universal. But it only takes one bad experience to ruin the day for me and I will never go back. From the very first employee we encountered at the ticket counter until the moment we left we counted 12 times their employees cut down Disney publically to us and other guests standing around us. Then there was the talking on cell phones when they were supposed to be operating rides, sitting on hand railings in the queue areas talking to each other and managers dressed in sweat pants and beer t-shirts yelling at the crowd though megaphones to try and clear the park at closing.

SeaWorld turnstile employees weren't much better though. Both times I've visited they never talk to you. The last time (Monday) the woman was chewing gum, leaning on the ticket scanning machine and yawning. When I asked her if I need to put my finger in the scanner she just looked at me like I was stupid and then pointed to the scanner. I never did that the first time I went so I didn't know. Obviously I was the idiot.

I think if any park charges that much for a single day you could at least smile at guests and thank them for coming to your park. What does that cost?

You then only copied the first 2 sentances of that post then replied with:

So you did pick one part of my post out of all of the things I mentioned. :rolleyes:

You mean this one?

Only visited once and I live right next to Universal. But it only takes one bad experience to ruin the day for me and I will never go back. From the very first employee we encountered at the ticket counter until the moment we left we counted 12 times their employees cut down Disney publically to us and other guests standing around us. Then there was the talking on cell phones when they were supposed to be operating rides, sitting on hand railings in the queue areas talking to each other and managers dressed in sweat pants and beer t-shirts yelling at the crowd though megaphones to try and clear the park at closing.

SeaWorld turnstile employees weren't much better though. Both times I've visited they never talk to you. The last time (Monday) the woman was chewing gum, leaning on the ticket scanning machine and yawning. When I asked her if I need to put my finger in the scanner she just looked at me like I was stupid and then pointed to the scanner. I never did that the first time I went so I didn't know. Obviously I was the idiot.

I think if any park charges that much for a single day you could at least smile at guests and thank them for coming to your park. What does that cost?

raven

Yes, visiting any business while wearing a t-shirt that advertises the competition is a form of provoking.

That's quite a bold statement. I'd like to see the rule book that you got that from.

Would you put on a Red Sox ball cap and then go to Yankee Stadium and sit amongst a bunch of Yankees fans...and then be shocked and dismayed when people said something to you? :hammer:Something tells me you would. :rolleyes:

Do I look like a Red Sox or Yankee fan? :lol:

agent86

You then only copied the first 2 sentances of that post then replied with:

So you did pick one part of my post out of all of the things I mentioned. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what the word "excerpt" means (note that I said in my post, "Here's an excerpt..."). "Edit" (which is what you accused me of doing, apparently thinking I wouldn't call you on it) means to change.

Man, what is it about this thread that everyone is having to define simple words for people? :lol::hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom