Universal Studios Fall From Grace

Capsin4

IOA has gotten the better attractions by far with the exception of Gringotts. Not sure if the scrapped plan to put Nintendo world in the studios hurt the balance.

Sadly, the park seems to cling too much to the original layout in the New York area, like it’s still a backlot. It’s not and the “attractions” they’ve crammed into the buildings are underwhelming when taken together. Bourne all the way around to f&f is just underwhelming. Mummy is the lone standout. The attractiveness of the whole park is subpar outside of daigon.

I think they’re really missing out on the Minons IP. Hope there’s more than the current show and a restaurant. A minons mini land with rethemed woody coaster and ET would be nice. Maybe still add some Nintendo. Zelda maybe.

Rich Brownn

IOA has gotten the better attractions by far with the exception of Gringotts. Not sure if the scrapped plan to put Nintendo world in the studios hurt the balance.

Sadly, the park seems to cling too much to the original layout in the New York area, like it’s still a backlot. It’s not and the “attractions” they’ve crammed into the buildings are underwhelming when taken together. Bourne all the way around to f&f is just underwhelming. Mummy is the lone standout. The attractiveness of the whole park is subpar outside of daigon.

I think they’re really missing out on the Minons IP. Hope there’s more than the current show and a restaurant. A minons mini land with rethemed woody coaster and ET would be nice. Maybe still add some Nintendo. Zelda maybe.
Every person Ive taken into Bourne came out impressed. And, for better or worse, Fallon enjoys high GSAT.

Capsin4

Every person Ive taken into Bourne came out impressed. And, for better or worse, Fallon enjoys high GSAT.
I don’t think they’re horrible. But the whole area feels like a tour of movie theaters. Bourne does indeed have an impressive screen if that’s what your enjoy at a major flagship theme park.

Andrew25

I still think that Fallon would have received higher fan ratings had the rest of the park not featured multiple motion base attractions. I enjoy it and hope they keep it as the parks sold motion simulator in the long run.

I think the move of Nintendo to EU hurt USF, but should benefit the park in the long term.

DonniePeverley

Have to agree Bourne was absolutely fantastic. I just skipped it on my previous occassions thinking it was just going to be another 3D, look at a screen etc. But this was just brilliant. Surprised it's so low key.

I actually like the look of Universal on entry as you look down to the Ghostbusters wall, and when you turn right into Bourne up 'Beverly Hills', it looks cool.

It starts to get ugly as you come up to the Simpsons, along to Animal factory and into Woody Zone.

There's a simple fix for the 3D glut - and that is to simply get some sort of physical family attraction that doesn't involve a screen around where Shrek used to be. That breaks up the repetative glut of screen attractions.

Furthermore, let's be honest Despicable Me is a poor attraction. It was built at a time when Universal were on their knees and this was a simple refit to an older attraction. Had they had the opportunity they could have built a far more glorious attraction with this IP.

JoeCamel

Have to agree Bourne was absolutely fantastic. I just skipped it on my previous occassions thinking it was just going to be another 3D, look at a screen etc. But this was just brilliant. Surprised it's so low key.

I actually like the look of Universal on entry as you look down to the Ghostbusters wall, and when you turn right into Bourne up 'Beverly Hills', it looks cool.

It starts to get ugly as you come up to the Simpsons, along to Animal factory and into Woody Zone.

There's a simple fix for the 3D glut - and that is to simply get some sort of physical family attraction that doesn't involve a screen around where Shrek used to be. That breaks up the repetative glut of screen attractions.

Furthermore, let's be honest Despicable Me is a poor attraction. It was built at a time when Universal were on their knees and this was a simple refit to an older attraction. Had they had the opportunity they could have built a far more glorious attraction with this IP.
Gee Donnie, your preconceived notions had you miss an attraction that has been well reviewed?
I'm shocked

Sharon&Susan

Furthermore, let's be honest Despicable Me is a poor attraction. It was built at a time when Universal were on their knees and this was a simple refit to an older attraction
I don't remember the parks or the company doing poorly at the time? Wasn't attendance actually at an all time high for the entire resort because of Potter?

WDWFREAK53

After coming back from our most recent trip (3 days including VB), I think I am going to skip USF next time. Granted, Mummy was down when I went, but the attractions are all so similar with a few exceptions. The entire Simpsons land is a waste (and I'm a fan of the Simpsons). Diagon Alley is the only real draw left at this park and even then, IMO it has the weakest of major Potter attractions.

I love Islands of Adventure and Volcano Bay but I left USF not clamoring to come back.

JT3000

I don't remember the parks or the company doing poorly at the time? Wasn't attendance actually at an all time high for the entire resort because of Potter?
You can ignore Donnie. He's a troll who has no idea what he's talking about. Universal's attendance has been consistently rising ever since Wizarding World first opened, and they haven't been in financial straits since NBC-Universal was bought by Comcast around the same time.

Jon81uk

After coming back from our most recent trip (3 days including VB), I think I am going to skip USF next time. Granted, Mummy was down when I went, but the attractions are all so similar with a few exceptions. The entire Simpsons land is a waste (and I'm a fan of the Simpsons). Diagon Alley is the only real draw left at this park and even then, IMO it has the weakest of major Potter attractions.

I love Islands of Adventure and Volcano Bay but I left USF not clamoring to come back.

The best part of the Simpsons area is the food court and the facades, plus the queue gags before boarding. The ride is the only thing that lets it down.

Fast and Furious is probably the thing that lets the park down most, that really should have been a different IP with a physical set based attraction.

Universal Studios represents both the very worst and best among the 6 main Orlando parks. the bulk of Uni Studios suffers terribly, just not worth any of my time. Then I pass through the hidden brick wall and enter Diagon, which I say, is the greatest specific park section in the USA.

Headscratching to walk around a close to pathetic Studios and then being met with a masterpiece Diagon.

DznyRktekt

Universal Studios represents both the very worst and best among the 6 main Orlando parks. the bulk of Uni Studios suffers terribly, just not worth any of my time. Then I pass through the hidden brick wall and enter Diagon, which I say, is the greatest specific park section in the USA.

Headscratching to walk around a close to pathetic Studios and then being met with a masterpiece Diagon.
How can you describe the New York area as pathetic? Yes it needs content but..

Minnesota disney fan

How can you describe the New York area as pathetic? Yes it needs content but..
The studios side is our favorite. We have no problem with the less than busy areas. New York area is great, IMO. We like the attractions better on that side too, including the HP land. Good thing we are all different because we'd all be IOA or in the studios.

How can you describe the New York area as pathetic?

I'm using the word in a relative way, not in an absolute way describing the grounds and fronts..........as in relative to the 5 other main parks. Furthermore, I was speaking in generalities of walking around Studios. Specific parts of New York and San Fran are decent and nothing more. Things definitely get better with London but one could argue that is actually Harry potter and the setup to Diagon

Park entry area as in both outside the park and immediately in the park is super boring and poor for a world famous park brand.
LA area has nothing great to look at.......devoid of anything important and noteworthy
Simpsons area comes across as cheap
World Pavilion/Fair with MIB frontage is too sterile. I especially dislike that area of the park including the Fear Factor area.
The ET, Curious George and Fievel zones look dated and do not inspire
San Fran is about New York level- some of it is redeeming
By far the worst fronts and grounds of the park is the long straightaway housing stuff like Rip Rocket, Ogre and Fallon
Yes, the entire park minus Potter/London and select parts of New York and San Fran is pathetic when compared to the other 5 big players.

the park has the lousiest icon, too with those tan archways.

As for park aesthetics/design elements when Epic opens the distance from Studios park to Epic Universe will be about 12 light years. But in fairness Epic will far surpass all domestic parks; there will be nothing that can compete with it on appearance and fronts.

I expect it to at least approach Disney Sea level if not rival it.

Andrew25

I'm using the word in a relative way, not in an absolute way describing the grounds and fronts..........as in relative to the 5 other main parks. Furthermore, I was speaking in generalities of walking around Studios. Specific parts of New York and San Fran are decent and nothing more. Things definitely get better with London but one could argue that is actually Harry potter and the setup to Diagon

Park entry area as in both outside the park and immediately in the park is super boring and poor for a world famous park brand.
LA area has nothing great to look at.......devoid of anything important and noteworthy
Simpsons area comes across as cheap
World Pavilion/Fair with MIB frontage is too sterile. I especially dislike that area of the park including the Fear Factor area.
The ET, Curious George and Fievel zones look dated and do not inspire
San Fran is about New York level- some of it is redeeming
By far the worst fronts and grounds of the park is the long straightaway housing stuff like Rip Rocket, Ogre and Fallon
Yes, the entire park minus Potter/London and select parts of New York and San Fran is pathetic when compared to the other 5 big players.

the park has the lousiest icon, too with those tan archways.

I agree - the park has a base for a strong foundation, just has a few gaps (especially the entrance) that need redressing. Long in favor of them making Hollywood the park's "main street".

As for park aesthetics/design elements when Epic opens the distance from Studios park to Epic Universe will be about 12 light years. But in fairness Epic will far surpass all domestic parks; there will be nothing that can compete with it on appearance and fronts.

I expect it to at least approach Disney Sea level if not rival it.

EU will undoubtedly be Universal's best themed park, not sure if anything can be the beauty of DAK or the grandeur of TDS though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom