Universal Studios Fall From Grace

Minthorne

Names have been discussed by bus drivers:

Universal's Cinemagic Park
Universal's Hollywood Studios (Orlando)
Universal's Moderate Universe
Potterville

Tom Morrow

I think this guy is on to something. A "Great Movie Ride" that brings back the iconic moments from lost attractions would be a huge improvement to the park.

1. There is an obvious lack of dark rides with physical sets in the park that everyone can ride. This addresses that.
2. The park lacks a cohesive "mission statement" - this would act as that for the park.
3. Universal underestimated the appeal these classic properties have and is now clearly revisiting them.

I agree…. I feel like HHN keeps those things around…HHN honestly is in the way of the park being fixed the way it needs to be imho.

I kind of agree, but choosing one or the other, I would choose HHN.

I think it's in the video above where he mentions that it would be cool if Epic Universe was built with HHN "built in", which would eliminate the need for the very long makeshift queues through backstage areas that HHN consists of. Though, I actually think those long janky queues are part of the appeal.

Andrew25

I think I saw on Alicia Stella's twitter that
Universal asked for a demolition permit for the Fear factor building but it was denied

Canceled, not denied.

I can't see Minions going anytime soon as it's still making boatloads/oodles and oodles of money

I meant to say Shrek/Monsters Cafe being replaced by a Minions mini-land.

Comcast/Universal in these past few earning calls and interviews have shown they don't want their parks to stay behind.

Amidala

I've been going to WDW my whole life, but only visited UO for the first time when Hogwarts and Hogsmeade opened. And while I love IOA (it has some problem areas in need of addressing, but the majority of its lands are home runs), UO continues to be a huge disappointment for me in the theming department. Walking down their "main street" where Minions (and formerly Shrek 4D) and Jimmy Fallon is located causes me what I can only describe as secondhand embarrassment. Ditto for the KidZone area with its unappealing mishmash of grab-bag IPs, most of which are woefully outdated. Most aspects of the park layout just don't work for me...Being able to view Krustyland and the Men in Black headquarters from across the lake in San Francisco is a visual overload for me.

That being said, I wish I could have visited UO in the 90s and early 2000s & wonder if I would have preferred the park in its early days. Don't get me wrong, both IOA and the WDW parks have some areas in need of a refurb or retheme, but UO as a whole is (for the most part) so visually unappealing to me. I'm a passholder and will typically hit UO first, knock out Mummy, MIB and ET, then gun it for WWOHP and spend the rest of my time at UO there before hopping to IOA for the rest of my day. Really hoping at the very least Kidzone gets a rework once EU is up and running, because it's sad to see their only traditional dark ride stranded in such an ugly part of the park.

I will say, I'm very glad I finally caved and tried HHN for the first time last year, because the event completely transforms the park in the best way. The only time I'm content to spend hours at UO just taking in the atmosphere is during HHN.

Andrew25

I've been going to WDW my whole life, but only visited UO for the first time when Hogwarts and Hogsmeade opened. And while I love IOA (it has some problem areas in need of addressing, but the majority of its lands are home runs), UO continues to be a huge disappointment for me in the theming department. Walking down their "main street" where Minions (and formerly Shrek 4D) and Jimmy Fallon is located causes me what I can only describe as secondhand embarrassment. Ditto for the KidZone area with its unappealing mishmash of grab-bag IPs, most of which are woefully outdated. Most aspects of the park layout just don't work for me...Being able to view Krustyland and the Men in Black headquarters from across the lake in San Francisco is a visual overload for me.

That being said, I wish I could have visited UO in the 90s and early 2000s & wonder if I would have preferred the park in its early days. Don't get me wrong, both IOA and the WDW parks have some areas in need of a refurb or retheme, but UO as a whole is (for the most part) so visually unappealing to me. I'm a passholder and will typically hit UO first, knock out Mummy, MIB and ET, then gun it for WWOHP and spend the rest of my time at UO there before hopping to IOA for the rest of my day. Really hoping at the very least Kidzone gets a rework once EU is up and running, because it's sad to see their only traditional dark ride stranded in such an ugly part of the park.

I will say, I'm very glad I finally caved and tried HHN for the first time last year, because the event completely transforms the park in the best way. The only time I'm content to spend hours at UO just taking in the atmosphere is during HHN.

I'm hoping we get a DCA makeover of the park once EU is open. The Hollywood section of the park is much nicer than DHS, but lacks in attractions/things to do. The Kidzone/Springfield/Fear Factor areas of the park are bound to be replaced within the next 10 years, so I'm hopeful.

DHS/USF are somewhat tied in their offerings at the moment with DHS having a very slight edge over USF in the rides department, but USF has the better shows at the moment. Both have great lands that keep the park afloat.

Much more interested in the future of USF than DHS.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
From Universal’s perspective it’s money they don’t need to spend right now and they still have a facility that could be utilized in the future.
One last Bill and Ted show....
I think it she be a revival of the popular Beetlejuice Graveyard Revue show...

...But I reckon that wouldn't happen if they're getting a land in E.U.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to another stage show. Re-open Sinbad, get a live show going in Toon Lagoon, and utilize the Fear Factor stage show for another show as well. I think Bill and Ted would be a popular show year round instead of just a Halloween based show.

lazyboy97o

I think it she be a revival of the popular Beetlejuice Graveyard Revue show...

...But I reckon that wouldn't happen if they're getting a land in E.U.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to another stage show. Re-open Sinbad, get a live show going in Toon Lagoon, and utilize the Fear Factor stage show for another show as well. I think Bill and Ted would be a popular show year round instead of just a Halloween based show.
Even with the Monsters land coming, that’s still a few years away and a different tone. North Campus has three huge theaters going unused. It’s bad show, bad service, no excuses. While one was nixed, it doesn’t bode well for the future of the two new theaters at Epic Universe. It’s kind of crazy with none being used that Epic Universe was going to double the number of large theaters across the parks.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Even with the Monsters land coming, that’s still a few years away and a different tone. North Campus has three huge theaters going unused. It’s bad show, bad service, no excuses. While one was nixed, it doesn’t bode well for the future of the two new theaters at Epic Universe. It’s kind of crazy with none being used that Epic Universe was going to double the number of large theaters across the parks.
That is literally what I was thinking...

...I also technically count the defunct Barney stage show being used as a blah show meet and greet show.

Andrew25

The theaters at Epic Universe will be used and will be very popular (and actually great stage productions), HTTYD looks great in Beijing.

Honestly surprised Universal hasn't brought back Beetlejuice temporarily at Fear Factor or some other "cheap temporary" show.

Toon Lagoon theater should have been built at Seuss, don't understand the logic of not building a stage at Seuss - a great IP for stage shows.

WDWFREAK53

The theaters at Epic Universe will be used and will be very popular (and actually great stage productions), HTTYD looks great in Beijing.

Honestly surprised Universal hasn't brought back Beetlejuice temporarily at Fear Factor or some other "cheap temporary" show.

Toon Lagoon theater should have been built at Seuss, don't understand the logic of not building a stage at Seuss - a great IP for stage shows.

This got me thinking...do outdoor stage shows really do well in Florida?

Disney doesn't really have many anymore. Flights of Wonder, Indy Stunt Spectacular, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic (although I count this one a little differently), and a few real small shows around EPCOT...but the Tomorrowland Stage was removed (Between CoP and Buzz), Theater in the Wild was closed in, Lights Motors Action was replaced, Hunchback Theater removed....

lazyboy97o

This got me thinking...do outdoor stage shows really do well in Florida?

Disney doesn't really have many anymore. Flights of Wonder, Indy Stunt Spectacular, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic (although I count this one a little differently), and a few real small shows around EPCOT...but the Tomorrowland Stage was removed (Between CoP and Buzz), Theater in the Wild was closed in, Lights Motors Action was replaced, Hunchback Theater removed....
What do you define as do well? In terms of great guest experience they should be a bit of a loss leader. They should run frequently enough and not quite full enough that guests can just go see them and not have to plan out getting to them.

Minnesota disney fan

My husband and I like the Studios side much better than IOA. It seems so juvenile with the in your face cut outs of cartoons, at least to us. We like the atmosphere in the studios and all they have to offer. Their HP land is much more immersive to us, and love the Gringotts ride. MIB is a lot of fun, as is Minions, and I could go on and on. I guess we all have our likes and dislikes (even though I don't dislike IOA), and differences of opinion. If not, we could all be at IOA, LOL, or the Studios. Universal is a great park system and will only get better with the new Epic Universe area.

WDWFREAK53

What do you define as do well? In terms of great guest experience they should be a bit of a loss leader. They should run frequently enough and not quite full enough that guests can just go see them and not have to plan out getting to them.

I mean...I think shows (especially with the heat of Florida) will have more of a draw if they are completely indoors. Productions feel "bigger", yet more intimate, and more immersive when they are in an enclosed building rather than an outdoor venue. Pair that with the sometimes oppressive heat of Florida and people may bypass the outdoor seating and opt for an indoor experience with AC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom