Universal Studios Fall From Grace

Constipated Palpatine

Original Poster
This is not a Universal bashing thread. This is a Universal Studios bashing thread.

Personally I think IOA is easily one of the top five theme parks on the planet. I also think Volcano Bay is a top tier water park that ranks among the best.
So what has happened to Universal Studios Florida, the east coast flagship of Disney's biggest competitor? I remember the glory days well, where rides like Jaws, Kongfrontation, Earthquake, and ET took animatronic filled practical set designs to a new level, and took guests into the movies, not just movie screens. Sadly only one of those remains.
While the park still has highlights, Mummy for example being a brilliant example of practical, thrill, and screen elements combined, I feel the park has lost what made it put Uni on the map. I also feel that if not fleshed out better in the couple years ahead, once Epic Universe opens, which seems to be as top tier park like IOA is now, it will take more from the Studios crowds than the Mouse. All of this is my personal thoughts. I know there are people who prefer the Studios park of today. I know it is not all bad. But when you hear the mockers cry too many screens, this isn't IOAs fault. IOA is fleshed out, and like I said at the beginning, one of the best on earth.

I want to see the Studios become that again. I want the variety of great simulators and screens mixed with themed adventures and setting that we know the company is capable of making if you look across the lagoon to the lighthouse.

Just some thoughts I wanted to vent.

Constipated Palpatine

Original Poster
The Bourne show is amazing.
It looks really good. Haven't gotten to see in person thanks to the pandemic life taking place when it opened, but it is a must next trip.

I think it was the one two punch of Fallon and FF that really got me thinking how far that park has dropped in set detail from Kongfrontation, Jaws, and the like.

Minions rumors gives me hope. Pets at the Hollywood sister park shows the company knows how to bring those details back to life. Epic Universe looks amazing what we've seen so far. It's just hard watching the flagship of Uni East be the one suffering the most given the potential that is out there.

EricsBiscuit

It looks really good. Haven't gotten to see in person thanks to the pandemic life taking place when it opened, but it is a must next trip.

I think it was the one two punch of Fallon and FF that really got me thinking how far that park has dropped in set detail from Kongfrontation, Jaws, and the like.

Minions rumors gives me hope. Pets at the Hollywood sister park shows the company knows how to bring those details back to life. Epic Universe looks amazing what we've seen so far. It's just hard watching the flagship of Uni East be the one suffering the most given the potential that is out there.
It’s certainly gonna be a while before they can make significant investments in USF because I assume EU is taking up most of the CAPEX budget but they have plenty of room to expand. Hopefully they updated the Mummy. We will find out soon enough.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

FF is gone…I do believe? That is a pretty good spot opening up for expansion

JoeCamel

This is not a Universal bashing thread. This is a Universal Studios bashing thread.

Personally I think IOA is easily one of the top five theme parks on the planet. I also think Volcano Bay is a top tier water park that ranks among the best.
So what has happened to Universal Studios Florida, the east coast flagship of Disney's biggest competitor? I remember the glory days well, where rides like Jaws, Kongfrontation, Earthquake, and ET took animatronic filled practical set designs to a new level, and took guests into the movies, not just movie screens. Sadly only one of those remains.
While the park still has highlights, Mummy for example being a brilliant example of practical, thrill, and screen elements combined, I feel the park has lost what made it put Uni on the map. I also feel that if not fleshed out better in the couple years ahead, once Epic Universe opens, which seems to be as top tier park like IOA is now, it will take more from the Studios crowds than the Mouse. All of this is my personal thoughts. I know there are people who prefer the Studios park of today. I know it is not all bad. But when you hear the mockers cry too many screens, this isn't IOAs fault. IOA is fleshed out, and like I said at the beginning, one of the best on earth.

I want to see the Studios become that again. I want the variety of great simulators and screens mixed with themed adventures and setting that we know the company is capable of making if you look across the lagoon to the lighthouse.

Just some thoughts I wanted to vent.
Your wish is granted, have patience

SSH

USF certainly needs help but I think the new Minions “ride” is a step in the right direction. Hopefully they continue to replace the old simulators with better experiences. The Bourne show is amazing. An easy upgrade would be to fix the BGM. Ofc F&F is a disaster.
I really enjoy USF still today for many reasons, but definitely am in the minority on Bourne - as I know many love it. For me, it was a one & done, unlike almost all other attractions I like to re-visit again and again. Cool effects, but it seemed like just a bunch of people yelling, chasing and shooting at each other over and over against rapidly changing backgrounds. The person I was with felt the same way. Can't see sitting through it again unless I'm with someone who hadn't seen it yet and wanted to.

Constipated Palpatine

Original Poster
This would have left Kong, Earthquake and Jaws - classic attractions that just needed some updates.
I would love this. You'd have something for everyone with the balance of practical effects and sets with the classics, the newer simulators like Fallon, Gringotts, traditional coaster with RRR, it would feel more like IOA. Then once Epic opens, you'd have three very well rounded and fleshed out destinations.

Tom Morrow

Here are the changes I would make if it were up to me:

- Reincorporate the old Nickelodeon Studios building back into the park and turn it into some sort of walk through or tour. Bring back a glimmer of the slight "edutainment" angle the park used to have.
- Despicable Me - replace it, it's not great, has terrible capacity. Unfortunately this is very wishful thinking as they are already building more Minions crap.
- Simpsons - get rid of it. I say this as someone who was once a HUGE Simpsons fan. The franchise is so very tired, the land isn't great, the ride isn't great, and the area around the ride looks trashy. If they still want to use the ride and building, it's the perfect time to turn it into the ride version of The Tribute Store.
- Fast & Furious - completely gut and replace with a moderate physical thrill ride, whether or not it remains a F&F ride is beside the point
- Demolish the Fear Factor theater and put a high capacity, highly themed, slow moving dark ride with physical sets that is NOT a Potter attraction. An omnimover-style ride would do wonders for the park.
- Rip Ride Rockit - demolish. It's not a good coaster, it ruins the aesthetics of the front of the park, and it's an ugly structure (note - I am not against visible coaster track, Rockit is just that ugly). MAYBE replace it with a better, reliable coaster.
- KidZone - at the very least needs a complete overhaul. I understand the need for stuff for small kids, but they deserve better than this.

General stuff:
- Find a way to hide all the awkward alleys where you can very clearly see dumpsters and crap backstage
- Make the soundstages look not neglected. Guests enter and see them enough, they deserve a refresh.
- A lot of the facades are looking rundown and need a refresh

UpAllNight

F&F was the major misstep. If that investment had been made in a solid attraction we'd be looking at a park, still in need of much work, but one with solid foundations. There's just too much to do right now, but I agree with all of @Tom Morrow comments above.

Of the week we spent at UO I think our time was probably split 4:2:1 in total Islands / Volcano / USF - granted the Mummy was down.

Constipated Palpatine

Original Poster
Of the week we spent at UO I think our time was probably split 4:2:1 in total Islands / Volcano / USF - granted the Mummy was down.
We've seriously considered doing just IOA and Volcano. Heck, I could do a full vacation at IOA.
This is what got me wondering what will happen when Epic opens, which (looks so far) like it will be a close equal to IOA quality. Will this new park pull more from Disney or USF, if USF is in its current state?

Frankenstein79

I concur, they replaced Classics, which were different from one another with Screens. At least now they are going through a Coaster phase. Maybe it will extend over to Uni in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom