Universal Studios Fall From Grace

matt9112

We've seriously considered doing just IOA and Volcano. Heck, I could do a full vacation at IOA.
This is what got me wondering what will happen when Epic opens, which (looks so far) like it will be a close equal to IOA quality. Will this new park pull more from Disney or USF, if USF is in its current state?

I hope that USF goes under the knife hard after epic. I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. USF is just very mismashed. It has a ton of great things but so much dead weight. Simpsons is a terrible use of that space imho. The lackluster F&F ironically would be at the bottom of my list of issues. It’s new and although corny and not really fun it’s not the worst thing in the park imho. The front half of the park is in dire need of love. I wish it had a true grand entry avenue like DHS. Rip ride rock it not only looks bad (from inside the park) I think it looks cool from outside the park. It has horrible capacity.

matt9112

I haven’t been to USF yet, Jan will be my first trip, but I’ve been to Universal Studios Hollywood, Hollywood Studios at WDW, Disney Studio Park in Paris, and the studio themed portion of DCA and I can’t think of any park that’s themed to “studios“ that is actually any good. It’s just a horrible ”theme” for a theme park, the only way to fix it seems to be demolishing the ”stages” (aka cheap giant boring boxes) and replacing them with actual buildings that are themed.

It’s a shame they tore out Jaws, a well themed area, to make HP2 instead of one of the dozens of boring buildings. I guess the good news is there’s a lot of theoretical expansion area since much of the park is still big square buildings.

HP2 is imho the greatest themed land in Florida right now. It’s the strongest part of that park by a long shot too.

matt9112

It's the best coaster in Florida (maybe second best, I haven't been on Iron Gwazi yet), but there is a LOT of competition out there that Florida park goers often don't realize.

Most of the coaster fanatics that travel the world say it’s still easily top 10 on earth. However I’m sorry to disappoint by iron gwazi was nowhere near as good or as fun as veloci coaster. Iron gwazi is great but it is brute. It is insanely fast with very little semblance of pacing. It’s left right left right so fast you have no idea where or what your doing at any point. It’s a buttery smooth blender that you put your body into. But it doesn’t have the fun pacing and anticipation that veloci coaster has.

Both are great but I think veloci takes the cake.

JT3000

I just wish it had replaced one of the many boring soundstage areas rather than an already well themed area.
Production Central is the only part of the park with a basic studio theme, and likely wasn't a candidate for replacement due to its role as the park's entrance (they also won't replace the soundstages, because they're actual soundstages.)

WDWFREAK53

Production Central is the only part of the park with a basic studio theme, and likely wasn't a candidate for replacement due to its role as the park's entrance (they also won't replace the soundstages, because they're actual soundstages.)
I’m not doubting you by asking this…I’m genuinely unsure and curious.

Do they actually shoot stuff in those soundstages and if so…what? And how recent?

JT3000

I’m not doubting you by asking this…I’m genuinely unsure and curious.

Do they actually shoot stuff in those soundstages and if so…what? And how recent?
Yes, mostly small productions, such as commercials, music videos and the like. Occasionally they'll shoot an actual show, usually a game show such as Family Feud, or something else that requires an audience, such as professional wrestling. They also had a film school using one of the soundstages, but I don't know if it's still there. They were originally used for actual movie production in the park's early days, but with the rare exception, that's no longer the case. Several stages are always unavailable from summer to fall due to hosting HHN houses, which has probably been their most consistent use since Nickelodeon left.

They will also occasionally shoot something in the park itself.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I agree…. I feel like HHN keeps those things around…HHN honestly is in the way of the park being fixed the way it needs to be imho.
Yeah but it makes bank and has the rep as the best in the world. Valuable in a way new rides are not. This is horror theatre and it was invented by this company.

JT3000

I agree…. I feel like HHN keeps those things around…HHN honestly is in the way of the park being fixed the way it needs to be imho.
Button Do Not Want GIF

WDWFREAK53

Yes, mostly small productions, such as commercials, music videos and the like. Occasionally they'll shoot an actual show, usually a game show such as Family Feud, or something else that requires an audience, such as professional wrestling. They also had a film school using one of the soundstages, but I don't know if it's still there. They were originally used for actual movie production in the park's early days, but with the rare exception, that's no longer the case. Several stages are always unavailable from summer to fall due to hosting HHN houses, which has probably been their most consistent use since Nickelodeon left.

They will also occasionally shoot something in the park itself.

Thanks for the info! Learn something new every day.

WDWFREAK53

Yeah but it makes bank and has the rep as the best in the world. Valuable in a way new rides are not. This is horror theatre and it was invented by this company.
Definitely.

I'm wondering if they'll allocate some funds into Epic Universe to do a more kid-friendly Halloween offering. Maybe not houses, but some "scare zones" on the lighter/fun side, have the Nintendo gang dressed up, and have the Classic Monsters land be party central where all of the ghouls come out to play.

matt9112

There’s probably a way to keep it and also fix the park….it would just cost lots of money. The best in the world or not it should not trump the parks 24/7 purpose just like how the festivals at Epcot shouldn’t trump the parks original intent. But your right money talks. I just don’t see how a full scale redo of USF wouldn’t overcome the lost revenue. Again HHN doesn’t need to go away or die. Just likely changed and scaled down. Than again I also feel like props during the day for 3 months a year is bad show but who am I.

Andrew25

No it doesn't - just this year they had to move 2 house locations for theme park projects (one of them was canceled).

In the next decade we're looking at a DCA-style makeover for the park:
  1. Minions Shrek replacement
  2. Kidzone replacement (if it doesn't happen within the next 10 years, I will be shocked)
  3. Fast & Furious replacement
  4. Springfield replacement
  5. Fear Factor theater/MIB (almost happened - hence them having to move one of the HHN houses)
For the rest of the park, I would upgrade the park entrance to have Hollywood as the park's main street, move ET's entrance to Central park/media center and improve Rockit.

Everything else is fine.

trr1

No it doesn't - just this year they had to move 2 house locations for theme park projects (one of them was canceled).

2. Kidzone replacement (if it doesn't happen within the next 10 years, I will be shocked)
  5. Fear Factor theater/MIB (almost happened - hence them having to move one of the HHN houses)
For the rest of the park, I would upgrade the park entrance to have Hollywood as the park's main street, move ET's entrance to Central park/media center and improve Rockit.

Everything else is fine.
I think I saw on Alicia Stella's twitter that
Universal asked for a demolition permit for the Fear factor building but it was denied

Figgy1

Premium Member

Everything else is fine.
I can't see Minions going anytime soon as it's still making boatloads/oodles and oodles of money

matt9112

Everything else is fine.

The Main Street idea is big….the front avenue of warehouses with facades looks bleh. I wish it had the same detail as the New York and San Fran areas of the park. A grand avenue. But instead it’s….boxes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom