Universal Studios: ‘Bourne Stuntacular’ to open in spring of 2020

mergatroid

I think Terminator blended the two much better than Bourne. The Boring Craptacular reminds me of one those old Hollywood movies where Cary Grant (or whoever) is pretending to drive a car in front of a screen. My little nephew did a better job reenacting "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The secret of the ooze".

Another thing they should have factored into this whole mess. Bourne isn't a marketable IP that sells merchandise. Whose buying a boring T-shirt with boring lettering.

I'd rather they put in either a new ride or a better IP (James Bond) with less screens. This is a prime location that is being wasted with drudge.

I think they've lost an iconic attraction and replaced it with an inferior one. But let's not pretend there's not some pretty cool effects going on in among everything, some of it looks pretty good.

It's all subjective of course, to me is has no character or soul. However I have to admit that many will like it for its effects, it's just I think the story line is another problem as it doesn't go anywhere. I will however have to disagree with it being as bad as you think it is.

Rich Brownn

I think Terminator blended the two much better than Bourne. The Boring Craptacular reminds me of one those old Hollywood movies where Cary Grant (or whoever) is pretending to drive a car in front of a screen. My little nephew did a better job reenacting "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The secret of the ooze".

Another thing they should have factored into this whole mess. Bourne isn't a marketable IP that sells merchandise. Whose buying a boring T-shirt with boring lettering? What did they use for the font "Times New Roman"?

I'd rather they put in either a new ride or a better IP (James Bond) with less screens. This is a prime location that is being wasted with drudge.
Actually this is a current process used for movies. "The Mandalorian" was filmed that way. And there were times where the screen/live action was so seamless they fooled me twice. And I was in row 3. I imagine further back, without being able to detect the parallax it'd be even more convincing. My only complaint is the finale is rather MEH. Needs something bigger.

JoeCamel

Another thing they should have factored into this whole mess. Bourne isn't a marketable IP that sells merchandise. Whose buying a boring T-shirt with boring lettering? What did they use for the font "Times New Roman"?

OK MICKEY

monykalyn

So you haven’t seen it in person, going by illegal YouTube videos - audience very explicitly told to NOT FILM IT, and you have an opinion that it’s crap? Whatever. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JT3000

I'd love to know what sort of ride you expect them to squeeze into this "prime location." Without screens, since you hate those so much. This building is only slightly larger than Despicable Me's.

donsullivan

Premium Member
So, I had a chance to experience this in person this afternoon during a 'technical preview.' It doesn't matter that it's linked to Jason Bourne at all; it's just a stunt show done with the latest technology. The fact that they used the Bourne name gives it an identity but doesn't impact the show experience all that much. I did find myself not paying as much attention to the storytelling as I was the tech they are using for the presentation. The integration of the amazing LED wall with physical sets and practical effects is actually pretty cool. It certainly has the video game come to life look to it at times but that's not inherently a bad thing to me. All in all I very much enjoyed it and will certainly go back to see it again. Definitely a worthy successor to Terminator which had gotten pretty tired in its later years.

Last edited:

crispy

Got to see this over the weekend. It's truly a technological wonder. The clarity of the screen and the integration of physical sets makes it a must see attraction. I was completely taken by surprise by it.
I agree. We just saw it this week, and I was blown away with how the screens and sets were integrated. I spent most of the show trying to figure out how they did it. We really enjoyed it.

OG Runner

This wasn’t a good addition. Of course we did it once to give it a shot but that was a one and done for us for sure.
What didn't you like about it? Most people seem to have liked it. Was there anything specific you did not like?
The pacing? The screens? The subject matter? When people, including myself, downed Fast and Furious there
were reasons.

Cousin Huet

I found it to be one of the most visually impressive experiences I've had in a theme park. Can you go into detail about why you didn't like it?
Sure, I do agree that some of the effects were impressive but even though I like the Bourne series I wasn’t pulled in here. Visually impressive and physically impressive are different things too. I preferred what I saw in Lights, Motors, Action more. Also, as far as the story I liked the Indiana Jones show. The humor does a lot for it.

This was the first thing we did in the park and I found my self still fighting sleep during it. I’m an early riser too as I wake at 4am for my commute to the base and I was still almost nodding off here. That is impressive since I got to sleep in (for me). Imagine at the end of a long day! I would be snoring.

Lastly, they had a breakdown mid show that required a reset of sorts for what seemed like a minor issue (I get what the complicated nature of the mechanics requires). This didn’t help and the people on stage trying to save it did TRY hard.

I just don’t think that overall this change added much to speak of for me. Like I said, we are one and done but knock yourself in there as I’ll get a few rides in myself.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Sure, I do agree that some of the effects were impressive but even though I like the Bourne series I was pulled in here. Visually impressive and physically impressive are different things too. I preferred what I saw in Lights, Motors, Action more. Also, as far as the story I liked the Indiana Jones show. The humor does a lot for it.

This was the first thing we did in the park and I found my self still fighting sleep during it. I’m an early riser too as I wake at 4am for my commute to the base and I was almost nodding off.

Lastly, they had a breakdown mid show that required a reset of sorts for what seemed like a minor issue (I get what the complicated nature of the mechanics requires). This didn’t help and the people on stage trying to save it did TRY hard.

I just don’t think that overall this change added much to speak of for me. Like I said, we are one and done but knock yourself in there as I’ll get a few rides in myself.
Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like it is worth, at least, giving it a try. (when you are awake)

monykalyn

Having seen this multiple times now-it is still pretty impressive. At least it is NEW vs the tired old Indiana Jones show (and I truly enjoy that show as well-but OMG it is OLD).
Wish the outside blended better with the Rodeo Drive aesthetic though. That street is one of my favorite at night and the marquee for this show is a bit jarring.

Tom Morrow

I don't know why it took me this long to actually watch this, but I finally did.

It... feels like a very impressive tech demo. It does not feel at all like an entertaining or engaging show that holds your attention. Every scene should have a clear objective for Bourne to do, but instead he's just walking or something and fighting off bad guys coming at him one by one like a side scrolling video game. With no clear objective for Bourne to accomplish, there's no excitement. Then you have the two female characters interjecting and it's not at all clear what their purpose or objectives are either.

Also, most of the action is choreographed fighting that does not look at all believable. I also find it baffling that Matt Damon didn't supply the voiceovers.

I applaud them for trying something fresh with the LED wall and NOT using 3D, but it does come off as a prototype and not a finished show. T2-3D, while outdated-ish, was cinematic. Kind of surprised this hasn't been retooled a little bit by now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom