Universal Studios: ‘Bourne Stuntacular’ to open in spring of 2020

lebeau

Original Poster
Worst-kept secret in Orlando? Nothing here most of us weren't already pretty sure of except confirmation of an opening season.

-------------------------
Universal Studios is opening a new attraction based on the film character Jason Bourne, the Orlando theme park confirmed Tuesday. “The Bourne Stuntacular” will debut in the spring of 2020.

The new stunt show will be seen in the location of the former Terminator 2: 3D attraction, which closed in 2017 after a 21-year run in the Hollywood section of the park.

The “Bourne” attraction will feature “live performers, high-tech props and an immense LED screen, making it impossible to discern where the live action ends and the cinema begins,” Universal said in a news release. It will be “a hybrid form of entertainment that has never been seen before,” the company said.

Universal didn’t give much away as far as “Stuntacular” plot or visuals. It said that the Jason Bourne character attempts to evade capture, repeatedly.

The action-film series, produced by Universal Pictures, revolves around Bourne, who is both a CIA assassin and an amnesiac. He was played on the big screen by actor Matt Damon in “The Bourne Identity,” “The Bourne Supremacy,” “The Bourne Ultimatum” and, most recently, in 2016’s “Jason Bourne.” Universal did not say Damon was attached to the theme-park project.

The character of Jason Bourne was created by novelist Robert Ludlum.

“The Bourne Stuntacular” will be the first major attraction to open at Universal Studios since Fast & Furious: Supercharged, which replaced the Disaster attraction in 2018. Other movies developed into current Universal Studios attractions include “Men In Black,” “Despicable Me,” “Transformers” and the “Harry Potter” series.

The Grand Inquisitor

Worst-kept secret in Orlando? Nothing here most of us weren't already pretty sure of except confirmation of an opening season.

-------------------------
Universal Studios is opening a new attraction based on the film character Jason Bourne, the Orlando theme park confirmed Tuesday. “The Bourne Stuntacular” will debut in the spring of 2020.

The new stunt show will be seen in the location of the former Terminator 2: 3D attraction, which closed in 2017 after a 21-year run in the Hollywood section of the park.

The “Bourne” attraction will feature “live performers, high-tech props and an immense LED screen, making it impossible to discern where the live action ends and the cinema begins,” Universal said in a news release. It will be “a hybrid form of entertainment that has never been seen before,” the company said.

Universal didn’t give much away as far as “Stuntacular” plot or visuals. It said that the Jason Bourne character attempts to evade capture, repeatedly.

The action-film series, produced by Universal Pictures, revolves around Bourne, who is both a CIA assassin and an amnesiac. He was played on the big screen by actor Matt Damon in “The Bourne Identity,” “The Bourne Supremacy,” “The Bourne Ultimatum” and, most recently, in 2016’s “Jason Bourne.” Universal did not say Damon was attached to the theme-park project.

The character of Jason Bourne was created by novelist Robert Ludlum.

“The Bourne Stuntacular” will be the first major attraction to open at Universal Studios since Fast & Furious: Supercharged, which replaced the Disaster attraction in 2018. Other movies developed into current Universal Studios attractions include “Men In Black,” “Despicable Me,” “Transformers” and the “Harry Potter” series.
Wow this sounds really awesome!!!! I love the Bourne films (except for the last one).

Jon81uk

and surely the T2 show combined live-action and film into a hybrid show, so is this really something that has never been seen before?

lebeau

Original Poster
and surely the T2 show combined live-action and film into a hybrid show, so is this really something that has never been seen before?

Depends on execution. The concept is certainly similar but maybe effect is more seamless? Universal is known for marketing hyperbole, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is less than revolutionary.

JoeCamel

The show was old, really, really old - BUT - think what they can do with cutting edge tech today????

Depends on execution. The concept is certainly similar but maybe effect is more seamless? Universal is known for marketing hyperbole, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is less than revolutionary.

See my reply to Jon above

mergatroid

Really hate the Bourne movies, however I'm hoping that won't stop me enjoying this show. I also hate Harry Potter movies but that hasn't stopped me enjoying the attractions, hoping this works out the same.

lebeau

Original Poster
I hope this will become Florida's Waterworld. Basically a great show based on a not so popular ip.

I have never been much of a Bourne fan, but these movies were very popular not all that long ago. And there is a spin-off TV show on the air now.

Waterworld, on the other hand, was a box office disappointment. The stunt show was easily the best thing to come from it.

Personally, I plan to pretend the new show is about James Bond. ;)

If the show is good than the IP doesn't really matter.

THIS!

Frankenstein79

I don't get why they did a Bourne attraction. Does Universal like doing attractions for franchises that are on it's last legs? The last couple of Bourne movies were both horrible. Especially the last one which was so bad I erased it from memory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom