Universal strikes back again?

AndyMagic

Originally posted by MKCustodial

About MK vs. IoA, bash me all you want, I'd rather go with the magic rather that the thrills. How many times an evening can one ride Spidey, the Hulk, JP and Dueling Dragons. Cause, seriously, that's pretty much all IoA has.
I'm sorry, my senior party was lame, the DJ had an accident and couldn't go so we ended up listening to mix tapes all night long. I'd much rather have a picture with my best friends in BTMR or Jungle Cruise.
I don't know how this got into a MK vs. IOA thread because that is the last thing we need on the boards again. But I will just say this in IOA's defense. MK has had 30 years to expand and grow and Islands of Adventure has had 4. To say... "All they have is this," isn't exactly fair. I think it would be better to compare IOA to Animal Kingdom.

tomman710

Originally posted by AndyMagic
In the world of theme parks everyone copies everyone. If someone has a good idea that is working, why wouldn't you try to do the same thing? Also, Disney copies plenty of ideas believe me. As soon as Universal Studios announced they would build a theme park devoted to movies. Disney put MGM on the fast track and opened it a full year before Universal. Not to mention as soon as Universal built Islands of Adventure... Disney was suddenly only interested in building thrill rides. (Rock n' Roller Coaster, Primeval Whirl, Mission: SPACE, and Everest.) My point is, yes Universal ripped off the idea but in the end, the company that pulls it off the best will win and it is just something that everyone does.

Wrong. There was a reason MGM came out a year before Universal, ummm because it was planned for a long time. Disney didn't rip off Universal, they had it in the planning stages for years before they heard about Universal. The same goes with the thrill rides. It doesn't take like a year to make these things. These things take YEARS of planning. Disney had those rides planned before they heard about IOA. Disney has never and will never rip of Universal, there is simply no need to. Disney is the one that sets the bar as far as theme parks go.

As for a theme park not being a classy place, maybe, but they are making it a classy event. So if you're a student and you want to have something to remember, a classy evening, going out in style, you would go to Disney. If you want a normal run of the mill, zero memories, and tasteless time then go to IOA. Albeit we all may want a normal tasteless time every now and then, but not for your graduation night. Out.

MKCustodial

I don't know how this got into a MK vs. IOA thread because that is the last thing we need on the boards again. But I will just say this in IOA's defense. MK has had 30 years to expand and grow and Islands of Adventure has had 4. To say... "All they have is this," isn't exactly fair. I think it would be better to compare IOA to Animal Kingdom.

No need to read between my lines. "MK vs. IoA" came up simply because that's where the respective parties are held, and I suppose that, if we're discussing the parties, we should be able to discuss the parks in which they're being held.
IoA has NOTHING to do to AK except that they're both theme parks. So let's not get there.
The number of years of existence has nothing to do with the topic at hand. In my book, I'd rather have a magical experience than a thrill night when it comes to the last memories of my school life. Mk is able to provide it, IoA isn't. In fact, if they offered it at Universal, I believe you could have a bigger fight. I always loved Universal Studios, and the Studios back at Disney. because of their movie theming. My time working at MK and all the little facts that I got to know because of it made me have a new favorite. ;) But it's true, we've always had such hurried vacations that I was never able to fully compare both companies untill my International Program trip..

CTXRover

Not to mention as soon as Universal built Islands of Adventure... Disney was suddenly only interested in building thrill rides. (Rock n' Roller Coaster, Primeval Whirl, Mission: SPACE, and Everest.) My point is, yes Universal ripped off the idea but in the end, the company that pulls it off the best will win and it is just something that everyone does.

I think we've seen an increase in thrill rides because that is what a lot of today's guests are asking for. Sure, it helps to have them if they want to keep people from traveling to IOA. However, in your statement alone you kind of prove my point that Disney doesn't tend to copy ideas (there are exceptions, I'm sure). Disney is creating one-of-a-kind attractions that you would have a hard time saying they are copies. Mission Space: NO ONE has anything like this. Everest: No other theme park has mountain coasters beyond Disney (that I know of). R'nR coaster is a coaster, but you can't say its a copy of Universal coasters since coasters have been around since before Disney. Disney just took the coaster to the next level by actually themeing the ride, not just the queue.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by CTXRover
I think we've seen an increase in thrill rides because that is what a lot of today's guests are asking for. Sure, it helps to have them if they want to keep people from traveling to IOA. However, in your statement alone you kind of prove my point that Disney doesn't tend to copy ideas (there are exceptions, I'm sure). Disney is creating one-of-a-kind attractions that you would have a hard time saying they are copies. Mission Space: NO ONE has anything like this. Everest: No other theme park has mountain coasters beyond Disney (that I know of). R'nR coaster is a coaster, but you can't say its a copy of Universal coasters since coasters have been around since before Disney. Disney just took the coaster to the next level by actually themeing the ride, not just the queue.
I agree completely that Disney has never and probably will never rip off a ride idea and will continue to make one of a kind attractions. Although I don't think Universal ever ripped off a ride either. My point was basically that all Universal did was look at what the competition had and they tried to make their own version much like Disney's sudden interest in installing much needed thrills to WDW.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by tomman710
Wrong. There was a reason MGM came out a year before Universal, ummm because it was planned for a long time. Disney didn't rip off Universal, they had it in the planning stages for years before they heard about Universal.
Correction. Universal Studios FL was announced and in the planning stages LONG before MGM was planned. What WAS planned was a movie themed pavilion at Epcot but when word got out about Universal's plans to build a theme park, Disney suddenly changed the pavilion into a theme park and rushed it open. It was rushed to completion and it opened before Universal because it contained 1 ride, 4 shows, and was 1/4 the size and scope of Universal. All of this information can be confirmed from several Disney books that cover the construction of MGM by the way. Although judging by your signature... which is "Universal SUCKS" I assume your logic is based on bias alone.

gcurling

There was a reason MGM came out a year before Universal
Yes, and they have Walt to thank for it. It's called the Reedy Creek Improvement District. It's quite a bit easier for Disney to do any development compared to Universal.

CTXRover

Correction. Universal Studios FL was announced and in the planning stages LONG before MGM was planned. What WAS planned was a movie themed pavilion at Epcot but when word got out about Universal's plans to build a theme park, Disney suddenly changed the pavilion into a theme park and rushed it open. It was rushed to completion and it opened before Universal because it contained 1 ride, 4 shows, and was 1/4 the size and scope of Universal. All of this information can be confirmed from several Disney books that cover the construction of MGM by the way. Although judging by your signature... which is "Universal SUCKS" I assume your logic is based on bias alone.

Alright, I'll try to make this my last post on the subject since I hate getting into Disney vs Universal arguments. However, I think the point is that Disney didn't copy the idea of a movie theme park. They had already envisioned one before Universal announced it. True, it wasn't put on the front burner until Universal's announcment, but that doesn't change the argument that Disney didn't copy it. In this thread, no matter how you try to argue it, Universal blatantly is copying Disney's grad nite. . It isn't to say they couldn't or shouldn't have one, but at least make it seem different. Grad Nite vs Grad Bash is a far cry from making it different just in the name alone and not having a dress code doesn't seem like a selling point to me. I think the dress code helps make it something special than just another night in the parks.

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Originally posted by objr
It seems that Universal, who wants to pratically eliminate Walt Disney World from the face of the Earth (and will never), has yet again proved than they have great copy machines over there. You see, The Orlando Sentinel reports, that Universal, like Disney has begun to take the market; holding celebrations for Highschool Seniors. Yes, its exactly like Disney's Grad Nite which takes place in Pleasure Island and The Magic Kingdom, except Universal's Grad Bash :)rolleyes: ) will take place at Islands of Adventure. What makes it worst for Disney, is that Universal does not have the strict dress code that Disney enforces at their event. Universal doesn't seem to be kidding here, in fact they are serious about taking away Disney's $$$$ and highschool "graduates".

And it looks like they will. Universal has been sending videos to leaders of highschool senior classes, causing many, as the Orlando Sentinel article states, to change their minds about where they will attend. In fact, Universal hopes that be offering these kids a park filled with the many thrill most of these highschoolers enjoy, and with a more casual dress code that they will win over alot of Disney's grad event market (and for the most part Universal is doing that).

You can find the article here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...1,0,4807197.story?coll=orl-business-headlines

Personally, while I was disgusted upon hearing the news, I think that this was only bound to happen. With the success of Halloween Horror Nights, and the appeal IOA has for teenagers, Universal knew that they had a winner when it came to a grad event. By offering a park with so many thrills, they belittle Magic Kingdom in the mind of most highschoolers. And with this less strict dress code, I think these students will see a better way to spend money and have more fun(maybe they don't know there's a reason for the dress code...oh well lets see how fast this changes). However, Universal cannot compete with one aspect of Disney's Grad Nite and that is the Blast-off party at Pleasure Island. Nothing in Universal compares. Perhaps this serves as yet another WAKE UP call for Disney:brick: , that Universal wants them good and dead. And who knows maybe GRAD NITE will become better because of this(all they have to do is change the park they do this event in, maybe The Studios will be a better park?). Just some news, and then some thoughts...what do you think?:animwink:

What is the point of this post? Every theme park has a Grad Night that is near or in the area of high schools. Did they "copy" Disney too?

My sis is going to Grad night in 2 weeks. she is very excited but in a way she is down about it. The reason why she is down is that she has no one to take picutres of her with the characters.

Im gonna be a senior in 2 years and i hope that they dont decide to go to universal. I really want to go to WDW for grad night. i think that the clubs will get most schools to go to disney instead of universal. I dont know wut type of hours universal will have this but the morining hours are sweet. i belive the hours for grad night are something like 12:00(midnight ) to like 5:00 am. that is sweet. its kinda like a MVMCP but much later and with nothing but senoirs and shaparones. :)

Shaman

Original Poster
Re: Re: Universal strikes back again?

Originally posted by Sansaarai
What is the point of this post? Every theme park has a Grad Night that is near or in the area of high schools. Did they "copy" Disney too?

I think the point of this post is clear: Disney better stop thinking that their name will continue to bring people in through the gates, the competition is much more intense than it was decades ago, grad events is just the tip of the iceberg. Personally there is no point in comparing the parks...Disney is Disney and Universal...well you get the point (Disney loyalist...most of us on this site...will debate the Universal loyalist and even the ones in between). The point of this thread was to also show that Universal isn't afraid of Disney as competition, and they are prepared to battle them out in as many markets as possible.

On another issue, I remember hearing once that the reason there is a strict dress code at Disney's Grad Nite is to prevent problems related to behavior. Yup, the reason they have people dress up is to prevent them from fighting or causing problems. And it makes sense, people ACT differently when they wear nice clothes. Disney was trying to prevent fights among the grads and I guess they thought a dress code would help (just some thing I heard...don't remember where). Well anyways, just some more thoughts.

NakedMickey

Yeah, I was going to go to Grad Nite at Disney, but I live in Florida, and I wasn't going to a theme park where there was a dress code. Sorry just my thoughts.

Like everyone has said a lot more teenagers go to Universal than they would go to Disney. I remember getting off from school in winter holidays and everyone would head out to Universal afterwards. I would see many kids from my school there as well as from other Florida high schools. Also we would go out to Universal because on a teenager's budget it was just more affordable for us to go Universal. We could get annual passes for 100 bucks.

I honestly think disney will be ok through all of this. One night a year that IOA tops disney is fine. the other 364 days and nights...everyone knows who is tops and that is all that matters...

Crazy4Figment

Addressing the topic of IOA having thier own version of Grad Night I say who cares! Does anyone really think this will hurt Disney? Of course not there are plenty of schools to go around. Besides worst case scenario MK would stay open later:eek: would'nt that be horrible. Is Universal really that big of a threat to Disney? Let's see WDW has 4 parks,3 water parks,and a dozen hotels on site(not to mention 6 parks and counting world wide). Universal has 2 parks, 3(?)hotels, and 3 parks world wide.Once again I'll ask is Universal a threat to Disney? Bottom line let both parks rip each others ideas off in the long run it's better for us. Competition is good for business it keeps the creative juices flowing and keeps the parks from becoming stagnant. As for which park is better:rolleyes: well this is a site dedicated to the appreciation of Disney so I don't think a poll is necessary. No matter what we think or what's done we'll still go to each companies respective parks and enjoy ourselves.

Maerj

I went to WDW last year and ended up arriving on some "Grad Nights" apparently. MK closed early for it and parts of Epcot were closed early for it. That was a big disappointment after all the planning and money spent on the trip, just to get kicked out early for some graduates. As far as I'm concerned, let them go to Universal! Good riddance!

MicBat

My high school went to, both, the Grad Nite (MK) and Grad Bash (IOA) parties last year. As much as I HATE to say it, Universal was much more organized with their's than Disney was. For one, they didn't let nearly as many people in as at WDW. Therefore, the lines were literally absent on most rides (especially when the concerts were going on). They also offered large drink containers which could be refilled at certain locations throughout the night for $5. The dress for Grad Nite, though, was much less casual than that at Grad Bash. For instance, at Universal, jeans were allowed (if they were "dressy" jeans). Personally, I liked Grad Nite at Magic Kingdom just b/c it was at WDW, but mostly everyone else liked Grad Bash at Island of Adventure.

Stitch FL

Originally posted by Mickeyman819
My sis is going to Grad night in 2 weeks. she is very excited but in a way she is down about it. The reason why she is down is that she has no one to take picutres of her with the characters.

i belive the hours for grad night are something like 12:00(midnight ) to like 5:00 am. that is sweet.

There are plenty of cast members that will take the pictures, the staffing for this ty[e of event is much higher than running the park in daylight.

10:00 p.m. til 5:00 a.m.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by Crazy4Figment
Addressing the topic of IOA having thier own version of Grad Night I say who cares! Does anyone really think this will hurt Disney? Of course not there are plenty of schools to go around. Besides worst case scenario MK would stay open later:eek: would'nt that be horrible. Is Universal really that big of a threat to Disney? Let's see WDW has 4 parks,3 water parks,and a dozen hotels on site(not to mention 6 parks and counting world wide). Universal has 2 parks, 3(?)hotels, and 3 parks world wide.Once again I'll ask is Universal a threat to Disney? Bottom line let both parks rip each others ideas off in the long run it's better for us. Competition is good for business it keeps the creative juices flowing and keeps the parks from becoming stagnant. As for which park is better:rolleyes: well this is a site dedicated to the appreciation of Disney so I don't think a poll is necessary. No matter what we think or what's done we'll still go to each companies respective parks and enjoy ourselves.
Any company that is growing can become a threat. Sure Universal isn't a big "threat" right now but that doesn't mean it can't become one in 5 or 10 years. I think the point of the post was to show competition is only going to get more intense.

Crazy4Figment

Any company that is growing can become a threat. Sure Universal isn't a big "threat" right now but that doesn't mean it can't become one in 5 or 10 years. I think the point of the post was to show competition is only going to get more intense.
OK but I still say what the big deal is. People are responding like it's a major blow to Disney. It's like the burger franchise wars, they slam each other rip off burger ideas yet they are still in business(I'm refering to BK and Mcd's). Trust me neither Company is going to lose business over this. People are not going to go exclusively to one park or the other no matter what type of campaigns or attractions they offer. I say sit back and enjoy both parks trying to one up each other. Unless of some major catastrophe both companies parks will still be there 10,20,30, so on years from now.

MicBat

Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney
I honestly think disney will be ok through all of this. One night a year that IOA tops disney is fine. the other 364 days and nights...everyone knows who is tops and that is all that matters...

Grad Nite and Grad Bash are more than 1 night in the year. They both go on all during March, April, and May (I believe only on Friday and Saturday nights, though).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom