Universal strikes back again?

jimmybop

I would be greatful for a dress code.... have you seen the way some HS seinors dress going to clubs and what not?? (I would guess it would rival some of the outfits you would see during gay days.... well... atleast the shock of seeing it)

but that is just my 2 cents....

hehehe.. i just cant get some of the stories about what the kids do at these events that other CMs told me while working there... kids are crazy. Lots of kids trying to sneek in booze, and Cigarettes (no smokeing in the park at all during grad night). They even get patted down by security before entering the parks...

and i have read in mulipul books about Disney-MGM studios, Disney had been working on the idea for awhile (beging w/ the Epcot pavilion). But it dosent really matter....the way i see it is that disney invented the theme park w/ DL and thats the end of it:D

wizard12

I think that Universal wants to keep up with Disney. That's also why they added Islands of Adventures. Disney will come back with something probably.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I think Disney needs to continue to keep doing what they have been doing.

Sure..Universal got their attention...the "disney decade" followed.

Since then things have been much better at WDW.

I severely doubt that Disney does things just because universal did something....that would be stooping to their level.

I personally think Disney is above that.

Shaman

Original Poster
Originally posted by Fievel
I think Disney needs to continue to keep doing what they have been doing.

Sure..Universal got their attention...the "disney decade" followed.

Since then things have been much better at WDW.

I severely doubt that Disney does things just because universal did something....that would be stooping to their level.

I personally think Disney is above that.

For a long time sure, and maybe still today, Disney was/is the one to beat. But lately it seems that Disney is doing some things as a response to things being done over at Universal...such as the current trend to fill the parks up with thrill rides. However, Disney does have a great ability to rise over competition, innovating and creating news things like...FASTpass system, which Universal later copied. And it is this ability which will help in the future (if they stick to their tradition).

And sure its alright, business is business, but I personally like when businesses come up with original creations, not copies. It almost makes you wonder whether they think we don't know who was the original creator, of most of what is copied, in the first place. Just my opinion.:hammer:

Quentin Disney

I don't know if this is true, but if the "Grad Bash" is an after hours event", wouldn't they have to deal with closing the coasters down early? Since the park is SO close to a residental area, they would be forced to close them around 10-11pm due to a special rule.

You wouldn't get THAT at Grad Nites since the area around the MK (back) is mostly undeveloped.

RozFan

Personally I think Universal is doing exactly what they should. If Disney isn't doing it right then why can't someone else? Universal owns Mardi Gras, Halloween, and Rock the Universe. Universal knows that Disney has lost the teen market and what a very valuable market that it is, Disney dropped the ball and Universal was there to pick it up. Who wouldn't take advantage of this golden oppertunity and reap the massive benefits?

I always equate Universal as hip, trendy, and edgy. (teen market)

Disney is magical, family, and wholesome. (family market)

Whats so wrong with that?

Apples to oranges and oranges to apples. :)

I also did the Grad Nite thing in 99 and would never, ever do it again. It was just too crowded for me and being around that many teens was something I pray I never have to do again. I felt like a sardine in the MK. Outragous wait times for attractions, the heat/humidity and uncomfortable clothing is not my idea of a good time. I'm sure this is the same circumstances at IOA, I'm just stating that my Grad Nite was less that perfect. There wasn't enough pixie dust in the entire WDW property let alone the MK that night to make me happy. :lol:

MicBat

Originally posted by RozFan

I also did the Grad Nite thing in 99 and would never, ever do it again. It was just too crowded for me and being around that many teens was something I pray I never have to do again. I felt like a sardine in the MK. Outragous wait times for attractions, the heat/humidity and uncomfortable clothing is not my idea of a good time. I'm sure this is the same circumstances at IOA, I'm just stating that my Grad Nite was less that perfect. There wasn't enough pixie dust in the entire WDW property let alone the MK that night to make me happy. :lol:

The only lines that weren't really bad at Grad Nite were the fantasyland ones. My high school also did the "blast off" party in tomorrowland which we got to get in early and just stay in tomorrowland. So, fantasyland being right next to tomorrowland, as soon as the other part opened, we were over there. I didn't dare even look at the wait times for the big ones, though (splash mtn, thunder mtn). I did get on the magic carpets of aladdin w/o a wait, though :D :lookaroun

RozFan

My party and I were able to ride Splash Mountain that night only because being the Disney novice that I am ran like hell the the attraction. :lol: After that everything that we had interest in was over an hour or longer wait. We spend the night catching the concerts(I think Reel Big Fish and Britney Spears were the entertainers.) and doing the scavenger hunts and grabbing the freebies. It wasn't a total bust, I'm just use to Disney in January and other slow times.

I would refuse a free trip to Disney during the summer. No way in Hades could you get me to step inside that place. :lol:

:lookaroun :hammer:

MicBat

Originally posted by RozFan
My party and I were able to ride Splash Mountain that night only because being the Disney novice that I am ran like hell the the attraction. :lol: After that everything that we had interest in was over an hour or longer wait. We spend the night catching the concerts(I think Reel Big Fish and Britney Spears were the entertainers.) and doing the scavenger hunts and grabbing the freebies. It wasn't a total bust, I'm just use to Disney in January and other slow times.

I would refuse a free trip to Disney during the summer. No way in Hades could you get me to step inside that place. :lol:

:lookaroun :hammer:
Aww.. you saw Britney?? :) Our bands weren't that incredible... City High, Natural, Petey Pablo, dj scribble... but it was fun just dancing around w/all my friends and stuff

RozFan

Yeah we had Britney back before I was a fan and before she went all sultry vixen on us. Nowadays I would be like woo-hoo, shake what your momma gave ya! :lol:

We really enjoyed Reel Big Fish, they did the re-make of Ah-HA's "Take on Me" (or something like that).

We also had live video feed of Venga Boys(?), they did that song,"We Like to Party."

lamarvenoy

Re: Re: Re: Universal strikes back again?

On another issue, I remember hearing once that the reason there is a strict dress code at Disney's Grad Nite is to prevent problems related to behavior. Yup, the reason they have people dress up is to prevent them from fighting or causing problems. And it makes sense, people ACT differently when they wear nice clothes. Disney was trying to prevent fights among the grads and I guess they thought a dress code would help (just some thing I heard...don't remember where). Well anyways, just some more thoughts. [/B][/QUOTE]

That is exactly right. I saw a couple real nasty fights at GN. It would have been worse if there was no dress code,you CAN'T have that many teenagers together in that enviroment without having some kind of balancing uniformity. If everyone has to wear similar clothes there is less originality and less extreme clothing. Less "punkware" less "gangsterware"-that's the big one that must be kept out! and its less obvious there are so many differences between schools and kids.Universal is gonna have their hands full...they deserve it!:lol:

kennyj29

Grad Night

My son went to Grad Nite a few years back. He had fun but one of his friends had never been to Disney and he wanted to show him most of it. They got on space mountain but waited over two hours. Then he took them to haunted mansion and they went on Small World because it was the only place that had no lines. Three rides the whole night? He said it was so crowded, you could barely walk through the park. What hurt him the most was that there were destructive kids that were pulling on the gargoyles in the "mansion" and fights and he said he HATED that because he was brought up on Disney and to see people trying to ruin it just ed him off. They should reduce the number of schools that go so that the schools that are there can enjoy it more. The dress code didn't help because of the destructive nature of some of the kids. His school was from New York and was complimented by the park on being one of the most behaved schools there. Even at the hotels, they were good. It totally killed him though to see the destructive attitude of some kids. He said to me you can tell they weren't brought up on Disney.

renthead7

When I went to Grad Nite in 2000 I had a blast. The lines for the attractions weren't bad-I think the longest I had to wait for something was Pooh & that was for about 25 minutes. I had plenty of time to ride Space Mtn twice, Astro Orbiter, Mad Tea Party, Grand Prix Raceway, Peter Pan, Pooh, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, & Thunder Mtn twice. And my friends and I did not even run to get to these rides. The park wasn't too crowded at all. I also stopped to hear Jessica Simpson, Destiny's Child, & BBMak sing and I also took a break to eat at Caseys. All in all, I'm really glad that I went; it was an experience I will never forget.

Legacy

Hey, MicBat... you went last year too? I must agree that entertainment was rather shoddy.

And I like the VengaBoys.

Anyway, back on topic. I am looking at the locations of a lot of you people who are commenting on how important a dress code is for something like this and I can tell you have never been to a Grad Nite. Don't get me wrong, dressing up is fine (I performed in the Indiana Stunt Show in a tie on New Year's for crying out loud), but it is definantly not something I would do on a summer night when I know the park is going to be packed to the brim. Grad Nite was fun, yes; but I would have much rather been in a lot more casual wear (at least jeans or shorts). The best thing about the dress code is that I got some nice pictures, even though all of us were very sweaty and tired and just kinda wanting to go home.

And I believe the studies that say people are calmer when dressed-up, but I can garantee you that study wasn't done on teenagers. We will mess it up no matter what, we really don't care. I think that is why Disney is toning down their dress-code; because they figured that out.

Frankly, high schoolers in Florida, when granted this choice, 80% will choose Uni. That is a huge turn-around for Disney, that they really don't want and, unfortunately, they really can't do anything about.

Fossil

Re: Grad Night

Originally posted by kennyj29
...He said it was so crowded, you could barely walk through the park...They should reduce the number of schools that go so that the schools that are there can enjoy it more.

I know that Universal restricts the number of schools that will attend. my school had to reserve our spot about a year in advance. i don't know if disney has a maximum capacity but universal does.:hammer:

MicBat

Originally posted by Kicker
Hey, MicBat... you went last year too? I must agree that entertainment was rather shoddy.
Yup... I was there... April 25-28 (MK-26).
The musical highlight of the evening was when Petey Pablo fell off stage! :lol:
They also popular play music around the park (where there'd usually be themed music) during Grad Nite. All the music, though, no one had ever heard of and was played on an hour long loop, so the one song I had heard of and kind of liked, I heard about 5 times during the night.
Disney seemed to be very lenient on the dress code violations, though. I saw a lot of things we wouldn't have been allowed to get on the bus with... Pants down to the knees on guys, skirts extremely short on girls. Universal, though, was even more lenient. You wouldn't have guessed there was supposed to be some sort of dress code there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom