Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

carolina_yankee

The ballpark is 15% or so...not a deal breaker for Disney.

If there is a big drop in demand...it will be Americans outside of Florida that will stay away.

I still think the masks will clear a lot of the decks...much more than zealots are thinking.

I wouldn’t have thought that at first because my default position is generally, “How can we make this work?” As I follow conversations more, I see that masks definitely are an issue. Even for us. We canceled our August reservation because of a snafu with a friend’s reservation who was joining us, but I have to admit a bit of relief at not having to worry about masks at Disney in August. That said, we are going to Hilton Head and Savannah, and I do intend to use a mask in high-crowd situations (if there are any!), but that’s selective and a vastly different pace than a Disney trip.

Around here, I wear masks when shopping and at work. At parks and locally walking the dog, I socially distance and don’t wear a mask.

On a DVC board I help moderate, intentions are all over the place. However, even DVC members with points to use are canceling over mask requirements. Others are figuring out how to make it work for them. Everything is conjecture right now (except maybe for Disney since they have their survey results), but it will be interesting to watch.

For our make-up late January trip, I’ll have zero issues with wearing a mask. But the weather is different.

So, I’m not a zealot, but I will move heaven and earth to make a Disney trip work for me, and masks really do influence my attitude towards the trip, even if they don’t influence the final decision.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn’t have thought that at first because my default position is generally, “How can we make this work?” As I follow conversations more, I see that masks definitely are an issue. Even for us. We canceled our August reservation because of a snafu with a friend’s reservation who was joining us, but I have to admit a bit of relief at not having to worry about masks at Disney in August. That said, we are going to Hilton Head and Savannah, and I do intend to use a mask in high-crowd situations (if there are any!), but that’s selective and a vastly different pace than a Disney trip.

Around here, I wear masks when shopping and at work. At parks and locally walking the dog, I socially distance and don’t wear a mask.

On a DVC board I help moderate, intentions are all over the place. However, even DVC members with points to use are canceling over mask requirements. Others are figuring out how to make it work for them. Everything is conjecture right now (except maybe for Disney since they have their survey results), but it will be interesting to watch.

For our make-up late January trip, I’ll have zero issues with wearing a mask. But the weather is different.

So, I’m not a zealot, but I will move heaven and earth to make a Disney trip work for me, and masks really do influence my attitude towards the trip, even if they don’t influence the final decision.
I had the same gut instinct...”they’ll figure it out...mainly how not to require them...”

But now I’m under the impression they are in legal/social/PR “no man’s land” and they have no viable comfort choices to address the Florida weather.

So I don’t have any stress in making the “go or no?” Decision.

I still think masks in an amusement park are insane. And definitely going to reduce the Value to everyone for the price.

carolina_yankee

So I don’t have any stress in making the “go or no?” Decision.

It’s easy for us because the finances work in our favor as DVC members. We can go any time we want if we can just get the time off, especially if we have a pass. We know we’ll be back and if we can find something else fun to do in the meantime, it’s all good.

I really feel for people trying to figure out their once over 3-5 year trip or trip of a lifetime. Honestly, for us, the greater uncertainty is what attractions and shows will be available. We don’t ask for much, but little things like Tiki, CoP, FotLK take it over the top for us and make the trip uniquely Disney and special. Without them (and possibly key attractions), it’s a whole new calculation. Throw in masks and heat (not to mention lost friends due to DVC screwing up their reservation!), yeah - waiting suddenly became very easy.

Gearbm95

I've heard nothing. Florida still has restrictions on visitors from the New York area. Hawaii is enforcing, jail for violators, a 14 day quarantine for all incoming. Our president is saying the travel ban, first from China, has saved numerous lives.
I think the ban wont be lifted soon. You also have to worry about a possible quarantine on your return.

Coming from Europe I'd move my plans to 2021.

I’ve flown r/t New York to Tampa twice in the past 6 weeks with no issue. There’s no restrictions that are enforced, the crew suggests a 14 day quarantine, that’s it.

lewisc

The ballpark is 15% or so...not a deal breaker for Disney.

If there is a big drop in demand...it will be Americans outside of Florida that will stay away.

I still think the masks will clear a lot of the decks...much more than zealots are thinking.
International guests tend to stay longer then US guests. It ma only be 15% But 15% probably equates to closing a resort.

homerdance

Dirk -What’s your thoughts on AKL being “booked” for the rest of the year most likely by non DVC use?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve flown r/t New York to Tampa twice in the past 6 weeks with no issue. There’s no restrictions that are enforced, the crew suggests a 14 day quarantine, that’s it.
I love how people on the threads keeping talking about Florida’s “quarantine”

What a bunch of nonsense...not a single person from NY/NJ/CT was required to do that. That’s public health “theater”

Mainahman

What a bunch of nonsense...not a single person from NY/NJ/CT was required to do that. That’s public health “theater”
Florida is not the only state sadly. Maine is doing it too, your supposed to qt for 14 days if you enter, but no ones stopping you at the border etc. ive been researching as i have to go up there to get my niece and nephew before we take them to Disney, and have been researching requirements along the travel route. Even the police forces state its not enforceable.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Yeah there was never really a real effort to enforce that. Its just not possible outside of a total border closure which would be a disaster for FL.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida is not the only state sadly. Maine is doing it too, your supposed to qt for 14 days if you enter, but no ones stopping you at the border etc. ive been researching as i have to go up there to get my niece and nephew before we take them to Disney, and have been researching requirements along the travel route. Even the police forces state its not enforceable.
I listen to weei in Boston...people from Massachusetts that weekend in Maine have been going from the start and haven’t been shy about it

Miss Bella

Thanks for the answer, good to get a clearer idea. Booked to fly over in September but considering moving it to September 2021 depending on how things go...
We were supposed to go to Europe in August. I was going to push it back to October, but my kids haven't gotten their new passports. I took them on March 6. The website says to expect delays of several months. We decided to skip Europe and go to Japan in April instead. The passport situation is really annoying. My 15 year old wants to take a college class this Fall but needs a government ID. grrrr

JoeCamel

Yeah there was never really a real effort to enforce that. Its just not possible outside of a total border closure which would be a disaster for FL.

Old article but it covers what was done

jt04

That is because it is voluntary. It can't legally be enforced without measures from the President. The pandemic didn't rise to that level. But I'm convinced there are people noting informally who is being responsible and who was being reckless with regards to quarantines.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom