Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Rider

OS summary: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...0200603-rf6l5xerpvcbvbk37egh3tykze-story.html

Some highlights:

The reservations for the popular Hagrid ride went quickly Wednesday morning. By noon, despite the virtual-line approach, there was a long physical line that stretched into the neighboring Lost Continent section of the park.

At the studios, parade units came by separately with dancers on board and wearing masks. A Marilyn Monroe-based show previously done on street level is on a stage in front of the park’s Pantages theater now. Characters from the “Scooby-Doo” cartoon stood on elevated platforms for photo opportunities in front of Mel’s Drive-In restaurant.
As visitors watched the Monroe show’s singers and dancers, one character urged onlookers to support the performers despite the face coverings.

Some attractions and eateries were closed Wednesday, and Universal has said that will be the case when the parks reopen. By midday, guests were standing in spaced-out lines that extended out restaurant doors.
By afternoon, Islands seemed to be the more congested of the two theme parks, particularly in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter area. Universal employees counted visitors manually as they entered and exited the Hogsmeade section.
A few visitors were frustrated by new park procedures that weren’t always clear and at times caused long lines that weren’t socially distanced. Around 10 a.m., people lined up in the parking garage, but no 6-feet reminder spaces were placed onto the ground until people got closer to the temperature check-ins before security.
The park’s pace felt different, at times. A guest might stand longer in the line for the ride lockers as employees orchestrated them in one-by-one than on the actual ride. The queue inside the Hogwarts Express station moved at a stuttering pace through the wide-open building.

milordsloth

Are they available on the 6th

I was curious and checked, here's what I saw:

1591221331090.png

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
But If you were to pay for express pass...it would blow those “savings” out of the water.

There are always drawbacks to “saving” on rooms in Orlando. Or anywhere...for that matter.
Going for 1 day at the parks. I’m not paying for express. I was More just interested in seeing if they’d be utilized when I’m there.

richiejv

Agree. Plus international guests can't enter the US. I think posters on Disney fan sites are overestimating demand.
Duh - my mistake. That will cut out a lot of guests!

Has there been any indication of if/when the borders will be opened, particularly to Europe? I've not heard anything reported here (the UK) beyond talks about these "air bridges" to stop the need for a 14-day quarantine period, but nothing other than that.

lewisc

Has there been any indication of if/when the borders will be opened, particularly to Europe? I've not heard anything reported here (the UK) beyond talks about these "air bridges" to stop the need for a 14-day quarantine period, but nothing other than that.
I've heard nothing. Florida still has restrictions on visitors from the New York area. Hawaii is enforcing, jail for violators, a 14 day quarantine for all incoming. Our president is saying the travel ban, first from China, has saved numerous lives.
I think the ban wont be lifted soon. You also have to worry about a possible quarantine on your return.

Coming from Europe I'd move my plans to 2021.

richiejv

I've heard nothing. Florida still has restrictions on visitors from the New York area. Hawaii is enforcing, jail for violators, a 14 day quarantine for all incoming. Our president is saying the travel ban, first from China, has saved numerous lives.
I think the ban wont be lifted soon. You also have to worry about a possible quarantine on your return.

Coming from Europe I'd move my plans to 2021.

Thanks for the answer, good to get a clearer idea. Booked to fly over in September but considering moving it to September 2021 depending on how things go...

lewisc

COVID 19 in NY was traced back to Europe. I suspect countries will he quick to restrict international travel, after resuming, if significant flare ups occur.

You need to check insurance. I think most travel medical policies exclude covid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Multiple reasons.

1. People have lost family members, and if WDW vacations are closely associated with departed family members, it may only be a reminder which causes pain. Although some might be able to feel comfort remembering all of the happiness. We all grieve differently.

2. People may not want to visit until they no longer have to wear masks, social distance, etc. Others may feel that they want to avoid crowds a little longer.

3. Many people have lost jobs and businesses, and every penny is needed to get back on their feet.

4. Many people might just be concerned about the future - for a variety of reasons - so just want to hunker down at home and save resources. Especially if they are concerned about natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, forest fires, etc) in addition to Covid-19 second wave, along with social/political issues - but those can be discussed on the correct forum, which isn't this one.
All completely accurate assessments of the situation and things being mostly glossed over by we Disney purists...

I think the masks and potential to have to “distance” is a near complete turn off to those that aren’t in a bind to change their plans. I can only say a small polling sample of the DVC membership I’ve talked to is “eh...I’ll pass” across the board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom