Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

peter11435

They can, but both operate most cost effectively and efficiently from a staffing standpoint when operating together. They share pools, restaurants, transportation, spa services, housekeeping, grounds crews, etc.
Yes, but you can’t close any other deluxe resort.

All restaurants on the Yacht Club side would be closed, housekeeping would be reduced to the needs of just BC, grounds crews are not unique to individual resorts and would need to continue regardless.

brianstl

The only services they share are the name and pool. Other than that, they both have a slate of amenities to where they could be self sufficient if they were not conjoined.

That said, my thought on Yacht staying closed was simply an educated guess based on the fact that it is the only Deluxe resort that won’t be forced open by DVC. Plus, it is expected that there will be a large surplus of Deluxe inventory when things reopen. While it could be dealt with by only not opening select buildings/floors at the Deluxe resorts, it could also be achieved by not opening one all together, for which Yacht would be the only option.
They share much more than that.

pdude81

There were discussions of a live streamed show for us all. Imagine the optics of an American icon streaming Independence Day fireworks for all to see, especially since none of us will have fireworks in our towns this year. I presume those at MK resorts would find themselves in an extremely unique situation.

I had just kind of assumed they would do this regardless of their opening status given the occasional shows they've been putting on the Parks Blog YouTube channel. They could get some really interesting angles without having to fight through the crowds. And they'd get a ton of free media out of it. So I for one hope this is really a thing

pdude81

And I'd expect they open the covered walkway from BLT to Contemporary for that 5th floor with the food and the elevator/escalator to the monorails. I guess they might not be running before the parks, but wouldn't be surprised if they are even just for cast members to be able to get around easily on property. Hard to have BLT open without Contempo Café or a gift shop with water, snacks, and (gasp) medicine.

Rteetz

Contemporary and Yacht will likely not be opening with BLT and Beach. Check-in for BLT should be moved into it’s smaller lobby/concierge area. In general, I’d be shocked to see Yacht open any time soon.

Also of note, I doubt we see the traditional side of these resorts open pre-July 11, and case depending, even post-July 11. BUT, they will likely allow for cash, non-DVC reservations. There are some DVC resorts, where if they didn’t have a giant backlog of members, they would leave closed.

Also, the only moderate I expect to have a chance at opening is CBR simply because Riviera being open will warrant the Skyliner being open with the parks, and as a result they might as well capitalize on it.

To me, the more interesting question is whether or not they operate the monorails/Skyliner between the resorts to connect their amenities before the parks open. Bare minimum, I expect buses to be connecting the resorts to Springs.
The Bay Lake Tower check in is already in the lobby of BLT. At least it was when I stayed there in 2018. The tower doesn't have airline check in though if they do offer that during this time. So that would have to move or they would need to operate the Contemporary one for BLT guests (if they offer the service).

Disney has said they will operate monorails in limited capacity so would they open the contemporary to allow those guests to get to the monorail then? BLT also does not have a food offering. They have the lounge up top but they don't really serve much in terms of food. Its almost sort of like in terms of amenities they need to open Contemporary in order to open BLT. Otherwise will they expect people to only get food at MK?

pdude81

The Bay Lake Tower check in is already in the lobby of BLT. At least it was when I stayed there in 2018. The tower doesn't have airline check in though if they do offer that during this time. So that would have to move or they would need to operate the Contemporary one for BLT guests (if they offer the service).

Disney has said they will operate monorails in limited capacity so would they open the contemporary to allow those guests to get to the monorail then? BLT also does not have a food offering. They have the lounge up top but they don't really serve much in terms of food. Its almost sort of like in terms of amenities they need to open Contemporary in order to open BLT. Otherwise will they expect people to only get food at MK?

I think it would be relatively easy for them to have the shared services area open with the rest of Contemporary closed off. I'm no security expert but I don't think it's substantially different from blocking off entrance to the Yacht Club side from the cash part of Beach Club.

Magic Feather

Operationally yes. But guest facing, no. All WDW resorts share certain operations with others. None operate completely independently. If you’re looking for a deluxe resort that you can keep closed to save on operating expenses, Yacht club is the only viable option.
Bingo. Ironically, they face the opposite situation with the moderates, where only one is connected to a DVC/other services to a point that would require it to be open in some capacity (CBR).

In addition to that, all of the values are pretty well isolated as well (AoA and Pop's Skyliner line could easily not run, and the All-Stars speak for themselves).

the_rich

Bingo. Ironically, they face the opposite situation with the moderates, where only one is connected to a DVC/other services to a point that would require it to be open in some capacity (CBR).

In addition to that, all of the values are pretty well isolated as well (AoA and Pop's Skyliner line could easily not run, and the All-Stars speak for themselves).
Is that why existing reservations can't be changed to moderates and values?

peter11435

If it were me I would keep Yacht Club, All-Stars, CSR, and PO closed until demand dictates opening. With CSR being used for NBA.

Magic Feather

Is that why existing reservations can't be changed to moderates and values?
The big reason why is perception. Imagine booking a room at Grand Flo and being moved to All-Star Music; it seems awful. On the other hand, imagine booking at Pop Century and being moved to Wilderness Lodge; it seems great.

While the structure is already somewhat envision-able, I'd imagine that some Deluxes get effectively turned into Moderates from a pricing perspective and from a "people being moved there perspective." From what I can tell, it would probably put GF, Poly, Contemporary, and maybe Beach Club in the top tier, while WL and Boardwalk would effectively serve the moderates group, alongside the almost-required to be open CBR. Then, condense the value people into PopArt and it works out.

the_rich

The big reason why is perception. Imagine booking a room at Grand Flo and being moved to All-Star Music; it seems awful. On the other hand, imagine booking at Pop Century and being moved to Wilderness Lodge; it seems great.

While the structure is already somewhat envision-able, I'd imagine that some Deluxes get effectively turned into Moderates from a pricing perspective and from a "people being moved there perspective." From what I can tell, it would probably put GF, Poly, Contemporary, and maybe Beach Club in the top tier, while WL and Boardwalk would effectively serve the moderates group, alongside the almost-required to be open CBR. Then, condense the value people into PopArt and it works out.
Makes sense. Would you put Akl in the top tier as well?

brianstl

Operationally yes. But guest facing, no. All WDW resorts share certain operations with others. None operate completely independently. If you’re looking for a deluxe resort that you can keep closed to save on operating expenses, Yacht club is the only viable option.
I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but I don’t think they will be looking to close any deluxe resorts. Closing deluxe resorts leads to lower per guest spending totals. Plus, closing Yacht Club takes out a resort that allows people to use the two most social distance friendly transit options (walking and Skyliner) to two parks and boat transit is preferable to bus because it is open air. If they close resorts, my belief is it will be moderate and value.

Magic Feather

If it were me I would keep Yacht Club, All-Stars, CSR, and PO closed until demand dictates opening. With CSR being used for NBA.
100% Agree, alongside:
  • Garden Wing closed at Contemporary (along with a few extra lower floors of rooms).
  • The Cluster of buildings on the Luau side of Poly closed.
  • Close whatever two buildings at the GF have the fewest MK views
  • Close the "Trails" at AKL that don't have a Savannah view
  • Close one floor of Boardwalk and Beach Club
  • Close two Villages of CBR
  • Close one Family Suite Section at AoA
Makes sense. Would you put AKL in the top tier as well?
I knew I forgot a Deluxe. Honestly, I'd put AKL as a bottom tier Deluxe, as that is where Disney usually views it. While the Savannah is a HUGE asset, it's transportation shortcomings really kill its appeal to many visitors.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but I don’t think they will be looking to close any deluxe resorts. Closing deluxe resorts leads to lower per guest spending totals. Plus, closing Yacht Club takes out a resort that allows people to use the two most social distance friendly transit options (walking and Skyliner) to two parks and boat transit is preferable to bus because it is open air. If they close resorts, my belief is it will be moderate and value.
That would make perfect sense if there were enough people willing/able to pay deluxe prices for WDW hotels ta the moment, but, at least according to some surveys, the demand from people that still have that level of disposable income, won't be there to the extent that it has been in the past.

peter11435

Closing any resorts would be to consolidate operations to the remaining resorts. They likely won’t have enough demand to fill a reasonable number of deluxe rooms. Instead of having 8 resorts operating at 50% occupancy you close one and increase the occupancy at all remaining. This doesn’t lower per guest spending, it maintains revenue, decreases expenses and boosts profit.

They’ve made no mention yet of reopening the skyliner in the the initial phase and the friendship boats are not exactly open air.

If they close resorts, my believe is it will be value, moderate, and deluxe.

trainplane3

I seem to remember check-in being shifted a few times over the years but it seems to be staying in BLT for the past 2-3ish.

nickys

Premium Member
Hmmm...maybe a small show from the usual island in Seven Seas Lagoon just for MK resorts. Hadn't thought about something like that.
🤔

Fingers crossed for something like that!

They could run it from MK, just without the projections (no point) and the crowds in the parks.

nickys

Premium Member
As they have said DVC and FW only from June 22nd, I don’t think any of the attached deluxe resorts will be “open” to guests as such. The stores and some of the restaurants perhaps, but not for guest stays. They could even insist on magic bands to be able to enter, thus keeping out day trippers from DS or local.

It would also give those resorts the opportunity to test out certain protocols etc such as pool use with a limited number of guests for 3 weeks before their own resort rooms open.

Edit: Unless of course everyone is discussing the phased opening of non-DVC resorts from July 11th. :cautious: 😳

Last edited:

Seanual757

Closing any resorts would be to consolidate operations to the remaining resorts. They likely won’t have enough demand to fill a reasonable number of deluxe rooms. Instead of having 8 resorts operating at 50% occupancy you close one and increase the occupancy at all remaining. This doesn’t lower per guest spending, it maintains revenue, decreases expenses and boosts profit.

They’ve made no mention yet of reopening the skyliner in the the initial phase and the friendship boats are not exactly open air.

If they close resorts, my believe is it will be value, moderate, and deluxe.

They may not want to over crowd a few resorts according to the email for DVC yesterday ALL DVC resorts will be opening on 6/22.

Non DVC resorts I agree it will make no sense in opening them all if you are under 20%-30% capacity. Then again they might open them just to keep the crowds down, maybe limit the number of buildings open at resorts.

"Today, Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced additional plans including the expected reopening of Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort on June 15 and all Disney Vacation Club properties at the Walt Disney World Resort on June 22."

I would be surprised if any DVC resort was at anymore than 20% capacity from the opening until 1-2 days before the parks open, and even once the parks open I would be surprised if they resorts even reach 30-35% capacity.

I am scheduled for July 3-6 at Old Key West (DVC 2 BR) I would be ok if we were asked to relocate to another DVC resort even to Poly in 2 lock off rooms.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom