Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
LOL you need to come to Orlando and go to any local mall store or restaurant. I would say about 20 percent of people are actually wearing masks. And I dropped off a friend at mco and hardly anyone had a mask on.
^^^
And here is the pink elephant in the room.

Disney is strict on the mask wearing policy = vlogger and blogger posts and videos of guests complaining about everything and anything else, and that a CM was being rude to their little prince and princess (KB Reference), and it ruined their vacation, and they won't back down until they get a refund and public apology (and maybe a night in the castle)

Disney is NOT strict on a mask wearing policy = bloggers and vlogger posts and videos of guests complaining about everything and anything else when someone coughed 5 feet away, and that it ruined their vacation because their little prince or princess got sick, and they won't back down until they get a refund

Ad infinitum

WDW Pro

Original Poster
But we didn't get confusing advice on toilet paper... :angelic:

Maybe in western countries we'd rather have starvation than stinky butts? I dunno, the only thing I could figure is people didn't know how to respond to a pandemic so they defaulted to how they respond to hurricanes, blizzards, e.t.c. Milk, eggs, toilet paper. That's my best guess.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Fauci has been consistent for the most part, imo.

To be fair, Fauci said yesterday that we can’t stay locked down forever as it will start to do more harm than good, and we are starting to see that even in healthcare with an estimated 80,000 cancer diagnoses missed and the WHO saying that we are now in danger of other diseases becoming issues with children missing vaccine schedules.

What irritates me to no end is that was carries on two national news networks - CNBC and Business Insider. It wasn’t on Fox, CNN, CBS, etc. No one wants to cover any good news or anything that contradicts that we have to stay in lockdown forever.

The news needs to start carrying the good with the bad - it’s doing too much damage to people’s psyche to live in the 24 hour doom and gloom cable news world in my opinion.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
^^^
And here is the pink elephant in the room.

Disney is strict on the mask wearing policy = vlogger and blogger posts and videos of guests complaining about everything and anything else, and that a CM was being rude to their little prince and princess (KB Reference), and it ruined their vacation, and they won't back down until they get a refund and public apology (and maybe a night in the castle)

Disney is NOT strict on a mask wearing policy = bloggers and vlogger posts and videos of guests complaining about everything and anything else when someone coughed 5 feet away, and that it ruined their vacation because their little prince or princess got sick, and they won't back down until they get a refund

Ad infinitum
DARN.jpg

Tavernacle12

I’m gonna guess a lot of the CMs who work exclusively outdoors aren’t exactly showering you with thanks and praise for that. I’m sure some are, but I’m sure many aren’t.

If it’s not feasible to wear masks outdoors in the summer heat then maybe the parks shouldn’t reopen until Fall.

Personally I think Disney is 100% in the right to be cautious and open later than everyone else. If they can take the $$$ loss there’s no reason to rush it (not that losing money is a reason TO rush it).

CaptainAmerica

There will always be those who wear them incorrectly or remove them when they shouldn’t, but making it a requirement vs optional will substantially increase the percentage of guests utilizing them. It was never about eliminating risk and spread just about reducing risk and spread.
I'm genuinely wondering where you live where this is your reality. My state has a mandatory mask order and almost nobody is doing it. They hook a mask to their ears to tick the box but everyone's nose is out and most people just drop it around their necks, including employees, including indoor air conditioned spaces. I'd guess compliance in summer, outdoors in Florida will be somewhere around 10%.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Is it possible to re-open and still house the NBA bubble that is rumored to be heading there mid-July? If they are doing that, they've got to segment the resort somehow. The NBA machine is going to be quite a number of people, and there's got to be a way to prevent NBA player and personnel from interacting with the general population.
They could keep the NBA within the EPCOT/DHS Bubble....

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'm genuinely wondering where you live where this is your reality. My state has a mandatory mask order and almost nobody is doing it. They hook a mask to their ears to tick the box but everyone's nose is out and most people just drop it around their necks, including employees, including indoor air conditioned spaces. I'd guess compliance in summer, outdoors in Florida will be somewhere around 10%.
Compliance levels are completely up to TWDC. If they are aggressively enforced with immediate ejections, compliance will not be a problem. The selfie stick ban was enforced fairly aggressively and took about a week to really stick.

havoc315

Since you've asked me to stay...

I think the issue with masks is that health organizations in the beginning issued confusing advice on masks (likely to protect masks from panic buying). That resulted in undue skepticism that wouldn't have been there if everyone had been honest from the beginning. Masks have always been effective barriers for viral transmission with variable efficiency. For what it's worth, when I'm out and about in an open state, my experience is that 80% of people are wearing a mask and socially distancing. I would imagine education and socioeconomic status have some correlation, as well as age and proclivity for risk aversion.

Agreed. But I think there was also fear that recommending masks would give a false sense of security. They were afraid it would lead people to believe they could go about their normal activities as long as they were wearing a mask, even if nobody else was wearing one.

That’s the problem with generic masks — they do work, but only if they are widely adopted in the community.
If they get recommended but only 10% of people wear them, then they don’t really do anything to stop viral spread.
But if 80%+ really wear them, you do greatly reduce spread.

No doubt Disney will examine expected “compliance rate” with masks. If 70-80% of guests are voluntarily consistently complying, they may late the others slide without strict enforcement. (Some gentle reminders at interaction points).

On the other hand, if there is wide-spread non-compliance, then they are in a Catch-22. Do they become the policeman getting into conflicts with people about masks, or do they risk increased viral transmission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom