Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. They don't.

Listen, here, @HauntedMansionFLA, the union represents the workers, and the workers don't want to die of COVID or spread it back to their families and have granma die of COVID. They negotiated with Disney for the wearing of masks to protect them from guests who are infected. And seeing how people like you don't want to wear a mask to protect others in case you're infected, then it's darned wise of them to insist upon it lest these same people who minimize or ignore the risk decide to invade the CMs' space and cough or sneeze openly... because it seems they don't care what their actions may do to others.

So, no, the union and the people who work at Disney don't have to give up their health for your convenience.

I can’t predict how or when this is gonna go...but I do know the unions don’t have the power to stop the ship when it moves. A quiet behind the scenes gambit would remove any roadblocks. But best not get into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ParentsOf4

It’s an option. As is August. I’ll keep saying it - there’s no firm date yet AFAIK.
There are valid reasons for WDW to open as quickly as possible. There are valid reasons to remain closed for the foreseeable future.

Like many companies (and countries), Disney's corporate leaders are not of one mindset. Different factions within Disney are jockeying for different opening dates. Depending on which insider you talk to, you are likely to get varying information.

Ultimately, Bob Iger will be the one to make a decision of this magnitude. Until Iger makes a firm decision, insider information is subject to change.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Doesn’t Universal have quite a few not-insignificant advantages that give them an edge logistically on reopening?
  • A circular park map that can allow for better foot traffic maintenance (installing a strict left lane/right lane like a road, with only a few deviations from the path)
  • More self contained property that isn’t as reliant on buses and cars traveling from dozens of locations
  • Less reliance on tourists than WDW, especially since it’s not HHN yet
I still don’t see how Volcano Bay reopens safely though.
Everything at Uni is a reasonable walking distance, just like DLR. This alone greatly simplifies any changes to transportation on property.

Some WDW resorts are a reasonable walk to one park, but that is where it gets complicated, because of the need to rely on transportation to get anywhere else on property.

Bob Harlem

Disney stringing along folks plans (extending/cancelling gradually) vs one closure and then one extension and actually opening up after that first closure extension at Universal at least gives the appearance Universal has a much better handle on the situation.

Then you have the excuse of "waiting on government" gone, so it just looks bad, and then enter the legally gray areas when you get into DVC and the fact timeshares are currently allowed-- which one of the elements of it is supposed to be "property that you part own” and pay taxes for-- to be open right now in Florida.

It's just a mess, and I don't think there is a right answer to it, but Disney is unfortunately looking like they have no clue right now.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney stringing along folks plans (extending/cancelling gradually) vs one extension and actually opening up after that first closure extension at Universal at least gives the appearance Universal has a much better handle on the situation. Then you have the excuse of "waiting on government" gone, so it just looks bad, and the legally gray areas when you get into the area of DVC and the fact timeshares are allowed-- which one of the elements of it is supposed to be "property that you part own” and pay taxes for" to be open right now in Florida.

It's just a mess, and I don't think there is a right answer to it, but Disney is unfortunately looking like they have no clue right now.

I can’t disagree with any of this.

I still think Disney is majorly in a fight with Tallahassee...and is actually much more comfortable exchanging niceties on the phone with Sacramento...even if they haven’t talked about opening at all.

I think this is their worst case scenario on many levels.

John park hopper

The dermatologist I go to the PA is an ex WDW cast member (played tinker bell) and we all ways discuss WDW. Had an appointment yesterday she was telling me she keeps in touch with CM (friends worked with, still with Disney) they were telling her WDW may not open until 2021. Is this true I have no idea.

Last edited:

zengoth

The biggest thing that stands out for me with Universal Orlando's opening rules (besides lifeguards having to wear balaclavas, because i had to google what those are) is there are NOT implementing a reservation system. Apparently it's first come, first serve until the capacity hits. I understand WDW is a different animal due to size and complexity, but it will be interesting to see how UO weathers the PR on this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The biggest thing that stands out for me with Universal Orlando's opening rules (besides lifeguards having to wear balaclavas, because i had to google what those are) is there are NOT implementing a reservation system. Apparently it's first come, first serve until the capacity hits. I understand WDW is a different animal due to size and complexity, but it will be interesting to see how UO weathers the PR on this.
They’re gambling in a way they know Disney CAN’T

crawale

This sounds totally believable. The major question from all of this, is what about Universal? There seem to be some unsolvable problems with reopening at this time. Is Universal just totally cavalier? The issues you mentioned are not minor. I’m as happy about reopening as anyone, but I just don’t see how it works. I also don’t see how these companies make money.

If DeSantis, Disney, and Universal decide to just swing the doors open, that’s their choice. But that’s a gamble risk-averse Disney would never normally choose. I also still expect Epcot to remain closed. Are they thinking this is going to be a normal summer? This would be a radical departure...
No one has to go, no one is being dragged into the parks. For those of us who live in Florida and are prepared to go parks should open. As with all the other businesses it should be people's choice not government. Florida needs to get back to business. Again no one is forcing anyone to come.

Dutch Inn '76

I don't believe that Disney was surprised by Universal. I'm not surprised that UO is being aggressive here, and I doubt that The Mouse is either. Par for the course.

We've heard that Disney will submit its plans for reopening to the State of Florida this coming week. I'm looking forward to that information.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No one has to go, no one is being dragged into the parks. For those of us who live in Florida and are prepared to go parks should open. As with all the other businesses it should be people's choice not government. Florida needs to get back to business. Again no one is forcing anyone to come.
The problem is those parks will make no money off locals...at least Disney won’t. Comcast is willing to float a loan to itself to take a chance on the locals.

So what is the point for Disney?
I'll say this about masks: enforcing the wearing of masks is going to be hard. A lot of folks are going to look for every opportunity to not wear one. They can just have a Coke or Mickey Premium in their hand all day...
The problem is that Mickey bar melts in 7.4 seconds in the summer...

...So about that mask policy enforcement 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom