Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It’s still ALOT of cash for a huge part of the customer base...mainly because it doesn’t make sense to go unless you’re committing to 7+ days.
It is, OTOH fares have fallen off a cliff - this morning with the new SW fare sale I rebooked my November Disneyland flight and instead of paying $450/person to fly into LAX I'm paying $206/person to fly into SNA. Round trip from Ohio.

Sirwalterraleigh

It is, OTOH fares have fallen off a cliff - this morning with the new SW fare sale I rebooked my November Disneyland flight and instead of paying $450/person to fly into LAX I'm paying $206/person to fly into SNA. Round trip from Ohio.
Southwest prices for Jersey week have fallen out of Philly

I was thinking about booking just Incase...but Disney can give me no assurances they can accommodate me at all...

DVC, rack or even at the parks

Sirwalterraleigh

Fun fact. It’s not “circulated” as such. On average it’s mixed with fresh air every 2-4 minutes, and totally replaced every 8-10 minutes.

It also passes through medical grade filters before entering the cabin.
Indeed...cabin air is much more “filtered”than normal recirculated building air...

But you’ll never convince people that it’s a great situation under the current environment

Sirwalterraleigh

If I were to fly now, I'd:

1. Use an N95 mask to protect mostly me as well as others (ordinary face coverings protect mostly others)

2. Put the overhead fan-nozzle on and pointing down right in front of my face. That's filtered air that will knock away any droplets that might be in the plane from others... hopefully.
...yeah. My plan is to stay home

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
If I were to fly now, I'd:

1. Use an N95 mask to protect mostly me as well as others (ordinary face coverings protect mostly others)

2. Put the overhead fan-nozzle on and pointing down right in front of my face. That's filtered air that will knock away any droplets that might be in the plane from others... hopefully.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing when we're finally allowed to fly, plus wearing clear protective plastic goggles while inside the plane, I've heard you could also get infected through the eyes (?).
I'll probably get some funny looks, but at this point: 🤷‍♀️

I've always done the fan-nozzle thing to deflect any bad smells coming my way, haha!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing when we're finally allowed to fly, plus wearing clear protective plastic goggles while inside the plane, I've heard you could also get infected through the eyes (?).
I'll probably get some funny looks, but at this point: 🤷‍♀️

I've always done the fan-nozzle thing to deflect any bad smells coming my way, haha!
Yes. Eyes, nose and mouth.

homerdance

I think you might be underestimating Universal's popularity a bit here.
The entire Harry Potter area is amazing, and they did a fantastic job with it, but all the numbers i have seen puts UO+IOA at less then MK alone.
Which is to the point i was trying to make, which is Disney being closed longer will have no impact on "market share"

techgeek

Either way, it's not a good day in Orlando.
I wouldn't be shocked to see if Disney has some of the same coming down the pipeline at this point.
BTW, for what it's worth cuts are all over the place at Uni but seems to skew towards those with higher seniority.

I had read speculation that many of the cuts were in some way attached to Epic Universe. I don’t know how true that is, but it makes a lot of sense if that project is going to be pushed back a few years.

Jon81uk

Either way, it's not a good day in Orlando.
I wouldn't be shocked to see if Disney has some of the same coming down the pipeline at this point.
BTW, for what it's worth cuts are all over the place at Uni but seems to skew towards those with higher seniority.

Disney already has cut back on college and international programme staff so that will make a difference already.

Sirwalterraleigh

Disney already has cut back on college and international programme staff so that will make a difference already.
Disney pays almost nothing for that...there’s a reason they live in college dorms - That’s about how much they’re paid. Parental subsidies in many cases.
Think middle and upper management.
Yes...If you want to gut your payroll...that’s where you go

monykalyn

I’m not at all. I was just saying that if someone went only to WDW and never visited Universal (there are literally millions of people in that category) but decided to visit Universal this year because WDW is closed they wouldn’t be getting the full Universal experience and would be less likely to permanently switch to Universal over WDW because they’d be comparing a less than perfect Universal experience filled with masks and other restrictions to a pre-Covid WDW experience. It has nothing to do with Universal’s popularity.
Not sure what you mean by "full Universal experience" unless you are referring to masks? Yeah that sucks and the pictures are funny. However-lines are nearly non-existent (at least on the weekdays we went), shows are up and running (the new Bourne show will be really good once all effects are in place and live performers don't need masks so it isn't as easy to distinguish real from screen). Characters and parade floats are out-I kinda like the new way of doing it anyway-It was fun to see random floats and characters pop out! Missed the evening shows for sure, and the parks after dark. But it was soooooooo nice to walk down Diagon Alley or in Hogsmeade and NOT have to push through crowds! And they loosened the no bag rule a bit on FJ-both days I kept my crossbody purse on me and carried on my water bottle.
When the country gets a cold...Orlando gets the flu.
Wait I thought we couldn't compare the flu and colds (coronaviruses) 🤣 JK-actually thought it was a rather apt metaphor...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom