Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Getachew

Wanting or hoping for a fall opening.

Mid July was the earliest envisaged opening timeframe. They’ve obviously gone with it.

Did they have plans for September ? Yes. Did they want to use them? No.

Is the theory of UO opening early June prompting WDW to open sooner rather than later have any truth to it?

peter11435

That is a very, very small number.

MK averages 55,000 guests/day. So I don't know what capacity is but it's not 50K. Best estimates I've seen have put it between 80K and 100K.
Remember there is a difference between in park capacity and daily attendance. The MK has seen days where it’s attendance has been between 80k and 100k, but the MK can not accommodate that many guests at one time.

DisneyJoe

No it's not but what I was saying is that Disney has protocols for when a hurricane is coming and they need to prepare for it they get the parks ready in an expedited time frame. They could have if they wanted to and in this case and obviously after today’s announcement July is it this gives them roughly 6 weeks to prepare.

Still lots of unanswered questions need to be addressed DVC, Resorts, Water Parks, APH's, ect...... I am sure in the coming days more information from Disney will trickle out but Guess what we Now know when they will open.
DVC and some resorts info on the Disney Parks Blog here https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-theme-parks-resort-hotels-and-disney-stores/

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
That is a very, very small number.

MK averages 55,000 guests/day. So I don't know what capacity is but it's not 50K. Best estimates I've seen have put it between 80K and 100K.
A busy night at fireworks time in about 2012 was 45k in the park. I was also told 80k at one point.
I'm always curious about what EPCOT can hold if MK can hold 80k. I know it's more, that's why it never closes for capacity even on NYE

DisneyJoe

seems the hotels are opening up on the 11th. Doesn't specify if all of them though.
"Additionally, Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World will reopen to members and guests and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen on June 22. Disney Vacation Club resorts in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will also open to members and guests starting on June 15. "

Yes, it does seems as if the remaining resorts will open on the 11th

Getachew

"Additionally, Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World will reopen to members and guests and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen on June 22. Disney Vacation Club resorts in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will also open to members and guests starting on June 15. "

I wasn't talking about that quote. It's mentioned on their website about a July 11th opening for Disney hotels.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I wonder if the NBA has anything to do with that.
Perhaps, I think at the end of the day it's just cheaper for them to only open as many hotels as they need. It will be interesting to see if they consolidate guests into the resorts with DVCs attached (e.g. all of the deluxes except Yacht Club) or consolidate by level (e.g. open Pop/AOA, Caribbean Beach, and a few deluxes only)

Amused to Death

I happened to be at the Magic Kingdom one Easter week, back around '80 or '81, before Epcot came along, and we heard an announcement about how they had set a park record, somewhere around 90K that day.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is the theory of UO opening early June prompting WDW to open sooner rather than later have any truth to it?
Do you think they went with it because of Universal?
Pass. If they had said mid June I would have said possibly, but mid July like I said was always a possibility unless things had radically altered.

rowrbazzle

Perhaps, I think at the end of the day it's just cheaper for them to only open as many hotels as they need. It will be interesting to see if they consolidate guests into the resorts with DVCs attached (e.g. all of the deluxes except Yacht Club) or consolidate by level (e.g. open Pop/AOA, Caribbean Beach, and a few deluxes only)

Probably. It kind of goes against the idea of distancing though. Having more hotels open with fewer people in each would be "safer" than fewer hotels with more people.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Probably. It kind of goes against the idea of distancing though. Having more hotels open with fewer people in each would be "safer" than fewer hotels with more people.
I agree, but with DVC I'm not sure how realistic that is. Certainly the motel-style and condo-style properties are better suited to minimizing viral transmission than the indoor hallway properties. Our reservation for September is at POR as we considered exterior doors a benefit for this trip.

Getachew

Pass. If they had said mid June I would have said possibly, but mid July like I said was always a possibility unless things had radically altered.

Heard that. I'm glad Disney didn't let UO reopening early June or political/public pressure them into opening before they were ready to open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom