Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Incomudro

Not to go down the rabbit hole of requiring masks, but whether or not they require masks in the theme parks, I can see masks being required on transportation and eliminating standing room. That is to say, if they decide masks are not required in the open areas of the parks, they may require them in certain situations: transportation, indoor theatres, etc.

They may need to increase buses to accommodate peak travel times to compensate less capacity in the busses. That also may be a non issue if they reduce capacity of the rooms at each resort.

I said this a while back.

"Please put on you mask when entering the queue."
Or boarding the bus.

This type of approach seems the most doable, and it more closely mirrors most mask use in the US.

trainplane3

Perhaps that’s the wrong thing to be happening. It certainly isn’t the norm worldwide. Perhaps Disney are looking at a bigger picture.
I think we all have that feeling if there is a covid flare up in Disney, the press will be all over it and we all know Disney hates bad press (understandably). I really can't blame them for dragging their feet. I want to go the parks too, really I just want to ride any coaster at this point, but it is what it is. Do it once and do it right.

Gringrinngghost

To throw into the Universal hat. Those whom I've been talking to, Hourly and Salaried have no idea what is going to happen when they reopen. AS of now there is NO clarification to how Wardrobe will be for those who got changed on property, since there will be an option where Universal launders it, but you are given 3 only per week. However the BIGGEST issue is pay, The letter by Bill Davis that was sent to TMs said:

Hourly Team Member schedules will be posted on a one-week basis, on Tuesdays instead of Thursdays, and effective June 1, will be paid as per scheduled time.
Non-Exempt and Exempt Team Members will continue to be paid at 80% and can supplement their pay with benefit time as they have been.

The biggest issue is that hourly team members "will be paid as per scheduled time." however they fall under the Non-Exempt status, so there is nothing known at basically any level on if they are being paid at 80% or at full and if they for instance work 4, 10 hour shifts, they are basically working 2 hours per day free.

Furthermore, I wouldn't expect part time or seasonal workers to be allowed to work and will remain under furlough status.

Dan Deesnee

Yeah, so when the clock starts ticking on my annual passes again I should just write the thousands of dollars off as a loss? Some people don't roll over and just accept whatever happens to them.

I bought APs last November so we could go in June this year and November. My entire family can't comply with wearing the masks due to several mental health reasons I won't go into.

But it's fine, we just won't go... Who needs money at a time like this. Please don't go into the default " if you're worried about money why go to Disney?". This is about paying for something ahead of time and then not being able to use it.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
For what it’s worth, I never said there weren’t other plans that include MK, but those plans are disastrous without solving the transportation to the park issue.

But would people even go with MK not open? It seems that if you can’t open MK there’s no point in even opening the resort. For so many people, MK is WDW.

I know we wouldn’t go if MK wasn’t open. The other parks are fun but we almost always start and end our trip with MK.

Gringrinngghost

• The cost and availability of fireworks have both went in poor directions for Walt Disney World. Even if fireworks can be planned to return in some capacity, it is much more difficult to acquire shells, as well as more costly. Supply chains for fireworks have been greatly disrupted.
Even though fireworks do have a shelf which is upwards of 8 years, during the quarantine both Disneyland and Walt Disney World received new Firework Imports. Disneyland in late march received about 29,000lbs of Fireworks and in April, WDW got about 33,000lbs of Fireworks from Pirotecnia Ricardo Caballer SA as per US Import records.

duder

For my wife and I, I think if someone said one park had to be closed when you went....we'd probably pick Magic Kingdom. I know we are definitely in the minority on that one, and it must be said we dont have kids and we prioritize enjoying the atmosphere more than anything.

Animal Kingdom is our favorite park, Epcot still pulls the nostalgia strings the hardest for myself, plus we enjoy the dining, and we havent experienced the RotR or MMRR yet.

We also frequently visit other Disney parks, so MK is a bit redundant (should be leaving for Paris tomorrow if this pandemic didnt happen).

Again, we are the outlier, but MK is lowest on our priority list when we visit WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looks like they'll still take your money either way. August 13 party still selling for $89 + tax:

As we’ve seen, they’ll take your money until they have to give it back. No operation would run assuming it won’t be open. Be it a hotel or a party.

monykalyn

Your 'manly-man' attitude aside, this helps me feel safer when everyone is wearing masks.

covid-coronavirus-urine-test-why-you-should-wear-facemasks-everyone.jpeg
catching the large droplets, now saturated what happens with next pee/sneeze? And are you going to sit where he did now? Those pesky trails...
Perhaps that’s the wrong thing to be happening. It certainly isn’t the norm worldwide. Perhaps Disney are looking at a bigger picture.
If one doesn’t have a car, is set up to use mass transport to get to a job or supplies what are they supposed to do?
Who is forcing you to go? If you don't want to go then don't. Those of us who live in Florida and want to go should be allowed to. There are currently road blocks on interstates and I presume there are something at airports to prevent visitors from high case load areas.
Can we stop this and encourage better reading comprehension please? Good gravy the people who said they won’t go don’t need to constantly be told to NOT GO!

Epcotbob

Yeah, so when the clock starts ticking on my annual passes again I should just write the thousands of dollars off as a loss? Some people don't roll over and just accept whatever happens to them.

I bought APs last November so we could go in June this year and November. My entire family can't comply with wearing the masks due to several mental health reasons I won't go into.

But it's fine, we just won't go... Who needs money at a time like this. Please don't go into the default " if you're worried about money why go to Disney?". This is about paying for something ahead of time and then not being able to use it.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how/when they restart the AP clock. They will probably have an official restart date, but hopefully they will work with people who have special cases and need to maybe delay that restart date.

It’s a conundrum for those who specifically planned to squeeze a few trips in to get the most out of the AP.

Animaniac93-98

As we’ve seen, they’ll take your money until they have to give it back.

Which at this point makes them look clueless, greedy or both.

The likelihood of MNSSHP going on as originally planned on August 13 with parades, fireworks, castle stage show etc is slim. If it still happened in a modified form, it would likely not be worth the original advertised price.

They should stop selling the parties now, and wait until they have a plan that they're willing to execute. It would save them the future headache of processing more refunds and dealing with guest complaints.

IMO.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
To throw into the Universal hat. Those whom I've been talking to, Hourly and Salaried have no idea what is going to happen when they reopen. AS of now there is NO clarification to how Wardrobe will be for those who got changed on property, since there will be an option where Universal launders it, but you are given 3 only per week. However the BIGGEST issue is pay, The letter by Bill Davis that was sent to TMs said:

The biggest issue is that hourly team members "will be paid as per scheduled time." however they fall under the Non-Exempt status, so there is nothing known at basically any level on if they are being paid at 80% or at full and if they for instance work 4, 10 hour shifts, they are basically working 2 hours per day free.

Furthermore, I wouldn't expect part time or seasonal workers to be allowed to work and will remain under furlough status.
If anything, I would think non exempt would be working fewer hours. No part time job I had ever guaranteed more than 12 hours a week and it was in a union (UFCW)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom