Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Touchdown

I do not envy Disney’s position because if they were planning for only Epcot/DHS before Universal’s announcement then they probably having to scrap it as I’m sure they’ve already been told behind closed doors that a plan that does not involve the Magic Kingdom opening is not acceptable from the governments point of view. MK is too much of an icon, and Florida will not be “open for business” until people can walk down Main Street again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's crazy for you; Was that decision made so other parks (USO) who wanted to be aggressive and open ASAP would require masks first so Disney could see how the guests respond? Call their bluff?
I absolutely wouldn’t put it past them.

I’ll give Disney all the credit in the world for their strengths. And one is they’re incredibly thorough/calculating.

That’s why so few things they do go badly.

surfsupdon

I still don’t understand the thought that Disney needs to clean its transportation options after each use in order to function, or not even open some methods. Hand sanitizer stations before boarding and after boarding make sense, so does practicing good hygiene. Maybe lower the occupancy by a few dozen.

All over the US, mass transportation is still functioning with people on board. Sometimes it’s crowded, sometimes it’s not. Buses, trains, airplanes, subways.

Disney has operated under risk before, and they will again. I just see transportation as not a big issue for the Parks.

jinx8402

I still don’t understand the thought that Disney needs to clean its transportation options after each use in order to function, or not even open some methods. Hand sanitizer stations before boarding and after boarding make sense, so does practicing good hygiene. Maybe lower the occupancy by a few dozen.

All over the US, mass transportation is still functioning with people on board. Sometimes it’s crowded, sometimes it’s not. Buses, trains, airplanes, subways.

Disney has operated under risk before, and they will again. I just see transportation as not a big issue for the Parks.

Not to go down the rabbit hole of requiring masks, but whether or not they require masks in the theme parks, I can see masks being required on transportation and eliminating standing room. That is to say, if they decide masks are not required in the open areas of the parks, they may require them in certain situations: transportation, indoor theatres, etc.

They may need to increase buses to accommodate peak travel times to compensate less capacity in the busses. That also may be a non issue if they reduce capacity of the rooms at each resort.

mhaftman7

I'm on my phone, which isn't conducive to long in the weed responses, but...

1. I didn't say obligated.
2. I didn't mention the issue of quitting versus furlough.

So for an abbreviated explanation, let's say Disney brings back 25% of their work force in July. The other 75% then receive normal unemployment plus $2,400 minimum and don't have to stand in tremendous heat wearing a mask. So how do you choose who takes two massive negatives and who gets to enjoy the cool air at home with way more money? How do you do that fairly, equitably, and in a way that protects your older or health impaired cast that make up a significant chunk of your full year crew... and who probably shouldn't be back even in August?
Just playing Devil’s Advocate, but seniority and some places have been temporarily increasing worker pay for during the pandemic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I do not envy Disney’s position because if they were planning for only Epcot/DHS before Universal’s announcement then they probably having to scrap it as I’m sure they’ve already been told behind closed doors that a plan that does not involve the Magic Kingdom opening is not acceptable from the governments point of view. MK is too much of an icon, and Florida will not be “open for business” until people can walk down Main Street again.
For what it’s worth I’ve heard of plans to include the MK on opening.

pdude81

Yeah they plan for it to be one party per cabin, and then they will send the cabin off “fogged” before someone new enters the cabin.
I can see this working in theory but the time between exit and entry is very small. So you'd need to mark the cabins at exit so nobody went in on the other side, and then fog the cabin on the trip out... which would be a huge problem if there were any mistakes and they fogged a cabin with people in it.

More realistically they can have people in hazmat suits enter when the guests get off and spray the seats quickly, so you know on the other side which to leave alone. That doesn't seem to me like something people would be accepting of in their vacation though. At least half empty buses can be swapped out or sprayed and left to sit for a few minutes of evaporation between runs. I just don't see the skyliner as a useful transportation tool until or unless CDC says there is no surface transmission, rather than shrugging their shoulders.

crawale

Great report! I think Disney should stay closed through September 1st. Who cares if Universal corners the market. A bulk of universal visitors are Florida residents. Actually I'm fine with Disney staying closed through January 1, 2021. OK I'm being selfish, I will be at my first goal weight and don't have to pay my annual pass.

But why is Disneyland closed indefinitely? I don't follow California enough to care.
Who is forcing you to go? If you don't want to go then don't. Those of us who live in Florida and want to go should be allowed to. There are currently road blocks on interstates and I presume there are something at airports to prevent visitors from high case load areas.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
So they can lose a poop ton of money?

Come on, Larry...you playing the straight man on this one?
Well, if they can do "after hours" events with several thousand, and still make money, then I can see them being eager to show the world that the MK is open, even if only for their monorail resort guests.

For what it’s worth I’ve heard of plans to include the MK on opening.
Well, if that happens, we're all gonna die. Clearly.

DHoy

I still think it’s way too early to open in June, glad WDW won’t be. Your firework info has me confused though, presumably that industry should have been stockpiling for one of the biggest holidays of the year (4th) and companies would be tripping over each other for business from Disney given how most places have canceled their 4th events. While it might be hard to procure the custom Disney shaped ones (and DLs air launched ones) you think they could get enough generic ones to make it through the late summer.

I know many cities have cancelled their 4th of july celebrations. Im in columbus and we canceled three weeks ago.

mhaftman7

This is why we can’t have nice things. So many people with actual information are nice enough to post it to give us some insight and people are quick to respond,”No. False! I read elsewhere.”

Thank you to everyone that does post some bread crumbs for us here and there. It is appreciated and understood that planning of multi-billion dollar businesses are generally fluid and the info may change. Thanks for everything you do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, if they can do "after hours" events with several thousand, and still make money, then I can see them being eager to show the world that the MK is open, even if only for their monorail resort guests.
Math still doesn’t work. 5,000 people doesn’t make a cent. Too much op overhead for 1 person...gotta crank it up from there.
MNSSHP is coming up in August.
Bout the last thing on earth likely to happen at this point.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom