Universal Has Started Charging $2 for Some Ride Lockers

raven

Six Flags parks have designated locations on ride platforms specifically for souvenir cups/beverages.
Exactly. The area that once was used to store bags and other items is now designated for Six Flags souvenir cups only. Everything else must be stored in a locker for coasters at most of their parks. These lockers charge by the 1/2 hour. So I’m not sure why everyone is in an uproar when another theme park chain begins to do the same thing, even though their smaller lockers are still free to use.

raven

It's a ridiculous excuse anyway. There is a greater likelihood of a meteor crashing into the earth than being injured by phones, keys, or other objects falling from a roller coaster (that's the former physics student and theme park employee in me speaking). The injury from Dueling Dragons, assuming that is it true (it has yet to be proven to be anything other than rumor), was one random injury that was unlikely to ever be repeated. Six Flags and other regional parks have been operating roller coasters for over decades, and I bet you can count on one hand the number of injuries caused by keys, phones, or other objects from riders.
Loose items aren’t just a safety risk for personal injury reasons. Many times items fall into a ride path or onto sensors that can shut down the attraction for several hour (especially with indoor dark ride attractions). A dropped shoe, cell phone or small bag during certain rides can make vehicles stop instantly and everyone may be evacuated. Technicians will then have to remove the item and go though extensive tests and approvals before that ride can reopen for the day. Meanwhile park guests flood Guest Relations to complain about the ride being inoperable when the issue was guest related to begin with. This is the main reason for storing loose items on rides in most Orlando parks.

Tom Morrow

Exactly. The area that once was used to store bags and other items is now designated for Six Flags souvenir cups only. Everything else must be stored in a locker for coasters at most of their parks. These lockers charge by the 1/2 hour. So I’m not sure why everyone is in an uproar when another theme park chain begins to do the same thing, even though their smaller lockers are still free to use.
This isn't in place at every Six Flags, and it still only applies to bags. They aren't metal detecting you down to finding paper clips in your pocket. Though apparently they do this for El Toro and Kingda Ka now, but they are the only ones I have heard of.

Because Six Flags is hardly a model for customer experience.
Exactly. SeaWorld also charges for mandatory lockers. SeaWorld has lousy guest service though so it's no surprise. Universal, like Disney, is known for being on a higher level and shouldn't stoop to those practices.

raven

SeaWorld also charges for mandatory lockers. SeaWorld has lousy guest service though so it's no surprise. Universal, like Disney, is known for being on a higher level and shouldn't stoop to those practices.
They only charge for large lockers and it’s not even at every location. Small lockers are still free.

raven

At SeaWorld? No. The rides only have one size of locker and none of them are free, unless this was changed very recently.

Kraken, Mako, Manta, and Journey to Atlantis all have mandatory bag check.
I meant at Universal. I know Sea World doesn’t.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a ridiculous excuse anyway. There is a greater likelihood of a meteor crashing into the earth than being injured by phones, keys, or other objects falling from a roller coaster (that's the former physics student and theme park employee in me speaking). The injury from Dueling Dragons, assuming that is it true (it has yet to be proven to be anything other than rumor), was one random injury that was unlikely to ever be repeated.

Except the Dualing Dragons incidents happened more than once. And why the attraction's ride profile was changed, long before it was actually shutdown. You call this rumors? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...llercoasters-Dragon-Challenge-race-again.html

And you must have never seen all the guest items that accumulate on the nets around various coasters at many parks?

You think Universal Spends all the money to install metal and operate detectors for what? To drive locker sales?

Did you not see the California Screamin' shutdown caused by a backpack that came loose? https://www.themeparktourist.com/ne...ornia-screamin-coaster-disney-california-adve

Loose item incidents are real - I don't know how anyone in their right mind thinks it's fabricated.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Except the Dualing Dragons incidents happened more than once. And why the attraction's ride profile was changed, long before it was actually shutdown. You call this rumors? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...llercoasters-Dragon-Challenge-race-again.html

And you must have never seen all the guest items that accumulate on the nets around various coasters at many parks?

You think Universal Spends all the money to install metal and operate detectors for what? To drive locker sales?

Did you not see the California Screamin' shutdown caused by a backpack that came loose? https://www.themeparktourist.com/ne...ornia-screamin-coaster-disney-california-adve

Loose item incidents are real - I don't know how anyone in their right mind thinks it's fabricated.
A flat earther ?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
A flat earther ?

Wait, the Universal globe ..

1gephEg.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom