Universal Has Started Charging $2 for Some Ride Lockers

lebeau

Original Poster
The small lockers that are roughly the size of a PO Box are still free, but Universal has started charging guests $2 for the larger lockers that can hold a back-pack, shopping bag or upright drink cup.

Personally, I think this is terrible customer service that will end up costing them sales in the long run. They can't end this policy soon enough.

Edit: Picture of free lockers:

a52a54ae-1bce-46d3-890a-4892435d147d-jpeg.368268

Confirm from UOAP FB Page:

8e1bc8fc-1225-4f06-beb1-208c0f470daf-png.368269

Last edited:

lebeau

Original Poster
Oh no, a whopping 2 dollars. If you can't afford to put up 2 bucks to put your bag in a locker, don't bring a bag.

$2 per ride can add up.
Some people need to bring a bag.

For me, it just means I buy less souvenirs. No more buying those big stuffed animals we usually pick up.

Photo-Jun-05-1-17-30-PM-e1533917350399.jpg

Sorry Universal, that $2 locker fee will cost you about $70 in sales.

The Pho

Honestly their locker policy is terribly annoying already and one of the main reasons I don't go as often and why I do not buy any merchandise there. Charging for large ones only wouldn't affect me yet, but that probably is only phase 1.

Jahona

This is pretty much the reason I run lean at Universal. I bring the wallet and phone. Their policy of putting everything in a locker before a ride really makes me appreciate Disney a bit more. I can understand on some rides not having bags but others not so much.

OG Runner

How long do you have the locker for, once you pay the $2.00? It is tough, since Universal does not allow you to have the bags on
some rides. Men In Black now has a $2.00 charge connected with it. I would imagine the Jurassic Park flume ride will also. Think of
it this way, you are helping pay for the new parks to be opened.

lebeau

Original Poster
How long do you have the locker for, once you pay the $2.00? It is tough, since Universal does not allow you to have the bags on
some rides. Men In Black now has a $2.00 charge connected with it. I would imagine the Jurassic Park flume ride will also. Think of
it this way, you are helping pay for the new parks to be opened.

Pretty sure the price of admission covers that.

I'll defend Universal on charging for parking or even floats at the Cabana Bay lazy river. But charging for a mandatory locker is just nickel and diming your guests. I get charging for optional lockers, day lockers, lockers to keep your stuff dry while you ride a water ride. $2 to ride Men in Black is just silly considering what I paid to get into the park.

As for the time, you get the usual "length of your ride". So you can't use it for the day.

Last edited:

lebeau

Original Poster
I agree it is nickel and diming and will only create discontent. I don't understand the logic at all other than it being a cash grab. If that's the case, raise admission by $2. But don't make me pay to use a mandatory locker to ride a ride.

Right. There's a psychological factor at play here. If there is added expense (and I doubt it's significant if there is), bake it into the price of admission.

My best guess is that the new setups have a limited number of the bigger lockers and Universal is instituting a policy to encourage everyone to use the smaller lockers whenever possible. It's less about getting $2 out of you than it is about managing a scarce resource. Of course if Universal hadn't replaced most of the larger lockers, they wouldn't have created scarcity in the first place.

I can imagine that this was an attempt to make the locker areas more efficient. Pack more lockers in a smaller space. This sounds like one of those ideas that looks good on paper when suggested by a bunch of "sharp pencil boys" who never go to the parks. Someone didn't think this one through.

Weather_Lady

$2 per ride can add up.
Some people need to bring a bag.

That's what annoys me about this new charge. The next time we visit Universal it will be with a relative who has an ostomy, which requires her to carry a bag of medical supplies and extra clothing with her wherever she goes. It would be nice if Universal could exempt storage of medical equipment from this "pay to play" rule -- e.g., offering a "Locker Card" for those who need a larger locker for medical reasons, just as they offer Guest Assistance cards for expedited line access...

lebeau

Original Poster
That's what annoys me about this new charge. The next time we visit Universal it will be with a relative who has an ostomy, which requires her to carry a bag of medical supplies and extra clothing with her wherever she goes. It would be nice if Universal could exempt storage of medical equipment from this "pay to play" rule -- e.g., offering a "Locker Card" for those who need a larger locker for medical reasons, just as they offer Guest Assistance cards for expedited line access...

My understanding is that they will make medical exceptions. But you have to know to ask. And you have to ask at every ride which is hardly convenient. You know it won't be applied consistently.

Best luck! I am hoping Universal quickly comes to their senses on this one.

lebeau

Original Poster
A form letter response I received.

----------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Universal Orlando Resort™ Guest Services.

Universal Orlando Resort™ strives to offer each Guest the best theme park experience possible. As a part of this experience, we provide lockers in which our Guests can store their personal items while they enjoy our attractions. Due to the sudden dramatic movement of many of our rides, we require that all loose articles be either secured in one of our lockers or left with a non-rider. For the safety and security of our Guests and their personal belongings, loose articles cannot be carried onto select attractions.

Our loose article policy has not changed, however, our lockers are being enhanced to provide a better, faster, and more seamless experience for our Guests that require the use of lockers throughout the parks. Guests who use locker locations at select attractions will be able to select either a large-size locker (backpacks, large merchandise bags, etc.) for a fee or a standard size locker (cell phones, keys, wallets, etc.) for free* for the duration of the attraction. The all-day jumbo sized lockers at the front gates and the large lockers at the water-based attraction have increased in price to reflect the value they provide guests. Universal Orlando Resort™ is not responsible for any items that are lost or damaged in our resort. We recommend that you bring only basic essentials to the parks and leave valuable items at home or in your hotel safe.

Universal Orlando Resort™ cares about the feedback of our Guests; your concerns have been forwarded to the appropriate members of management for their review and future action.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to call us at (407) 224-4233, option four (4). Our office is open seven (7) days a week from 8:30AM until park close, Eastern Standard Time (EST).

Again, thank you for contacting us.

*Locker price is only applicable while the guest is riding the attraction with the length of time determined by the posted wait time. If a guest passes the identified length of time they will be charged an additional $2 every 30 minutes up to a maximum of $20.00.

Best Regards,

Derek
Coordinator | Guest Communication
Universal Orlando Resort™

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Oh no, a whopping 2 dollars. If you can't afford to put up 2 bucks to put your bag in a locker, don't bring a bag.
I can also afford to pay $2-$3 in tickets for every ride at my local state fair. Doesn't mean that's the kind of experience i want at a major theme park.

So, I'll stop taking my refill cup if it doesn't fit the lockers. Eat off property instead of packing a lunch and buying a snack to go with it. I don't but souvenirs often, but now I for sure won't impulse buy anything because Universal has a new policy that makes me second guess how much I want to carry and second guessing rarely results in actually impulse buying.

That's at least $15-$25 lost everytime I visit because of this new policy. Considering I'm usually there with my family, it's a lot more they lost.

I can afford $2. The feeling of constantly paying for rides after I'm already in the park isn't something I consider worth paying for.

DRD

The more I think about this, the more I think that it makes far more sense to increase the price on going over the allotted time than it does to charge to use the bigger lockers.

During our trip, we each bought wands at Ollivander's and had to lug the boxes around the rest of the day which, occasionally, were hard to fit in the large locker along with a backpack. So it's not always the toddler-sized stuffed animals we're talking about when it comes to souvenir purchases being curbed or at least delayed.

trr1

how is this any different from Disney doing the same thing only more?
found here

Magic Kingdom -
  • Inside the park on the right side just before you go under the train station
    • Standard (12.5” X 10” X 17”) $7 per day
    • Large (15.5” X 13” X 17”) $10 per day
    • Jumbo (17” x 22” x 26”) $15 per day
Epcot -
  • To the right of the base of Spaceship Earth, near the restrooms
  • International Gateway Stroller rental
Disney's Hollywood Studios -
  • Next to Oscar's Super Service
Disney's Animal Kingdom -
  • Expedition Storage lockers by Guest Services inside the park
    • Small 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
    • Large 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
Pricing at the Water Parks:
Blizzard Beach

• $8.00 rental per day for Small: 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
Typhoon Lagoon
  • $8.00 rental per day for Small: 12"H x 12" W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 18"H x 18"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
found here

Magic Kingdom -
  • Inside the park on the right side just before you go under the train station
Epcot -
  • To the right of the base of Spaceship Earth, near the restrooms
  • International Gateway Stroller rental
Disney's Hollywood Studios -
  • Next to Oscar's Super Service
Disney's Animal Kingdom -
  • Expedition Storage lockers by Guest Services inside the park
    • Small 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
    • Large 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
Pricing at the Water Parks:
Blizzard Beach

• $8.00 rental per day for Small: 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
Typhoon Lagoon
  • $8.00 rental per day for Small: 12"H x 12" W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 18"H x 18"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
These prices are per day not per ride.

TwilightZone

This isn't the first locker pay theme park. Many six flags do it, as well as several others I can't remember the name of right now.
For all of them it was controversial, but people piped down after a while, we will have to wait n see for this case I think.
EDIT Wait n see because like Mr Ferret said it's per ride.

Weather_Lady

The big difference is that Disney doesn't require people to go "bag free" on any of its attractions that I'm aware of. Even Rock 'n' Rollercoster and Expedition Everest have pouches in the vehicle where you can store a bag or purse (within reason - obviously a giant backpack won't fit on every ride). Even though medical conditions in my family always required one or more people to have a small bag when touring Disney, we've never had to use a locker there, ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom