Universal Has Started Charging $2 for Some Ride Lockers

Tom Morrow

Does anyone know if a mini-backpack would fit in these new small lockers? We typically bring a mini backpack something like (9.05"(L)x5.51"(W) 10.23"(H)) in size to carry our phones, wallets, tickets, sunscreen, etc. in.
The small lockers are (estimating) something like 12" wide, 14" deep, and 5" high. Sounds like your backpack would fit. The biggest challenge is low height. which prevents souvenir cups and fuller backpacks from fitting.

Much like you refuse to say anything positive about Universal. :D
I do, though, where warranted. You respond to any criticism of Universal with snarky comments.

If they start charging for the small lockers, that would be extremely sleazy. I'm not sure how even the biggest Universal fan could deny that.

Last edited:

fosse76

This isn't the first locker pay theme park. Many six flags do it, as well as several others I can't remember the name of right now.
For all of them it was controversial, but people piped down after a while, we will have to wait n see for this case I think.
EDIT Wait n see because like Mr Ferret said it's per ride.

Yes, but Six Flags doesn't require you to put everything, including keys and phones, in a locker. That's the difference.

fosse76

I worked at Cedar Point way back in the day. One year we started a similar policy to Universal and prohibited all bags and loose articles from all rides (and queues). Lockers were available for a cost. They were also correctly sized to hold the souvenir cups.

People put their bags in bushes and trees. They threw cups and toys at employees. The policy lasted about two weeks before they backed down due to complaints (and a drop in games and store revenue). To this day only Millennium Force and Dragster require lockers. And that's mostly because of their dual station design.

Because of the resort nature of the parks, Universal in comparison probably won't receive nearly as many complaints, and such behavior most likely will be limited. They'll simply ignore it.

fosse76

When I was a kid we never took bags and such into a park. You didn’t see that many people with backpacks or even strollers for that matter. But nowadays people tend to bring their entire lives with them when visiting parks and expect to be accommodated. Every guest in those giant South American tour groups In the summer each carry a very large backpack as well.

As for larger lockers, a lot of guests have been trying to keep their items in these lockers longer than the time that is allowed. Locker times are adjusted frequently and always have a longer time than the actual attraction wait time. But they are not designed to be used for all-day storage. I expect this action is to deter those guests and encourage them to carry less. Retail items and prizes can be sent to the front of the park for later pick up.

By the way, Six Flags has been charging for lockers for years and also won’t let you bring items on most rides.

1. As I said above, Six Flags doesn't require that everything be placed in lockers, only that it be secured (for items such as cell phones and keys). And not all Six Flags parks have the lockers.

2. Some of the complaints are related to the storage of beverages, which could only be done in the larger lockers. Souvenir cups will have to be empty to use the small free lockers, and regular non-souvenir drinks cannot be stored at all unless you pay for the larger locker. Six Flags parks have designated locations on ride platforms specifically for souvenir cups/beverages.

fosse76

No one is forcing anyone to use the lockers. Just be wise. Don’t bring your entire home with you. What can’t you live without for 8 hours when visiting a park? You can always leave it with a non-riding guest or place your items in a ***** pack (which are allowed into those rides). Let’s remember that only a small amount of rides at Universal have the no-loose-items rule too which is due for your safety. A few extra minutes while planning your day can easily remedy this.

You are ridicuous. Universal is absolutely requiring the use of lockers. Keys and phones are prohibited on the Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit. Are you suggesting people should leave their keys in their car? What happens when all the small lockers are unavailable and only the larger lockers are available? Should people simply not make purchase until the end of the day? (Universal can then clear up all that space, since selling souvenirs in locations away from the front gate would be pointless). As people have mentioned, the small lockers do not fit refillable popcorn buckets and souvenir cups must be empty. Should Universal stop selling those? Are you anything but an apologist who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to charge guests for every. single. thing?

fosse76

Rides with a locker policy:
"It's for your safety!" - Don't use this as an excuse. We always knew it was for our safety and that's why they have been able to skirt by with their frustrating cramped locker setups and aggressive no loose article policies by offering the lockers as a complimentary service.

It's a ridiculous excuse anyway. There is a greater likelihood of a meteor crashing into the earth than being injured by phones, keys, or other objects falling from a roller coaster (that's the former physics student and theme park employee in me speaking). The injury from Dueling Dragons, assuming that is it true (it has yet to be proven to be anything other than rumor), was one random injury that was unlikely to ever be repeated. Six Flags and other regional parks have been operating roller coasters for over decades, and I bet you can count on one hand the number of injuries caused by keys, phones, or other objects from riders.

JoeCamel

It's a ridiculous excuse anyway. There is a greater likelihood of a meteor crashing into the earth than being injured by phones, keys, or other objects falling from a roller coaster (that's the former physics student and theme park employee in me speaking). The injury from Dueling Dragons, assuming that is it true (it has yet to be proven to be anything other than rumor), was one random injury that was unlikely to ever be repeated. Six Flags and other regional parks have been operating roller coasters for over decades, and I bet you can count on one hand the number of injuries caused by keys, phones, or other objects from riders.
You know there is a multiquote feature?

lebeau

Original Poster

Interesting. I had seen the injury reported on enough that I never questioned its authenticity. The incident did make the news, but the details aren't 100% confirmed. This comes from the Orlando Sentinel:

Universal Orlando said this week it has decided to permanently end the practice of launching the two coasters simultaneously. The resort now bills the attraction as a "high-speed chase between two coasters."
pixel.gif
pixel.gif

That decision follows an internal investigation into two summer accidents in which riders were apparently struck by loose objects while aboard the attraction. One was gruesome: A 52-year-old Puerto Rico man suffered a lacerated right eye and ultimately had to have the eyeball removed, according to his lawyer.

"We believe this is the best path forward for our guests and for the attraction," Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said of the decision to permanently alter Dragon Challenge.

Precisely what happened in the two incidents remains a mystery. Universal will not discuss the findings of its review, though the resort's statements in the aftermath of the two incidents — in which it reminded guests of its long-standing policy to secure all loose items before boarding the coasters — suggest that they may have been caused by items falling out of guests' hands or pockets as the coasters raced along their tracks.

That's what Clay Mitchell said he thinks happened with Carlos Montalvo, the man from Puerto Rico who lost his right eye after riding Dragon Challenge on July 31. Mitchell, an Orlando personal-injury lawyer, said Montalvo recently received a prosthetic-eye implant.
"He's still incurring medical bills," Mitchell said.

A similar incident occurred less than two weeks later; Jon Wilson, a 19-year-old from Ohio, said he was hit by something while riding the attraction. Wilson could not be reached for comment, but he told a local television station in August that he was struck on his foot, arm and face.

What makes the incidents especially striking is that they are the first such publicly reported accidents aboard Dragon Challenge, which has been operating since Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park opened in 1999.

OG Runner

Do you know how much is paid out for one of those accidents? Though the likelihood is not great, does not mean there is not a reason
to try to avoid the possibility. Anyone getting injured in anyway on a ride at Universal is not going for a small settlement.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You conveniently forgot the ponchos. Luckily, a typical Universal water ride already gets you as wet as the Florida summer downpour.

That's because ponchos are pointless, they don't protect your feet and as soon as you get them off it just starts raining again.

If you must have one, dollar store ponchos are really cheap and fit in your pocket.

kpilcher

I can promise the injury was more than a rumor. We covered it extensively on tv when it happened a few years back. I think we even interviewed the man’s family. There was also a less serious object strike on the same ride a short time later. I’m pretty sure that’s when the “no dueling” policy became official.

kpilcher

Interesting. I had seen the injury reported on enough that I never questioned its authenticity. The incident did make the news, but the details aren't 100% confirmed. This comes from the Orlando Sentinel:
You have No need to question the Sentinel here. I’ve seen photos of the man’s injuries. If I’m not mistaken we blurred one of them before airing it. (It’s been a while) Multiple witnesses saw him hurt while on the coaster train.

Jon81uk

Do you know how much is paid out for one of those accidents? Though the likelihood is not great, does not mean there is not a reason
to try to avoid the possibility. Anyone getting injured in anyway on a ride at Universal is not going for a small settlement.

Exactly, Universal are more worried about litigation than they are about the accidents.

Also this is one reason why Disney don't build ride track that goes over public areas, it removes all of these issues.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Tim tracker showed the size of the lockers in his latest video.

I haven't seen them in person yet but from the video those lockers are perfectly reasonable, and plenty large enough. It looks like they were able to just about double capacity by cutting the locker height in half.

Tom Morrow

The small lockers can just barely fit a standard backpack that is mostly empty. A full backpack will likely not fit. Each time I've gone to the lockers I see someone attempting to shove their backpack into one to no avail. Also, as mentioned, the souvenir cups do not fit without being turned sideways, and can potentially spill unless dumped out. The popcorn buckets do not fit.

To reiterate: as it stands, this is not a huge deal. It will be, though, if they start charging for the small lockers too.

Tom Morrow

I believe the legitimacy of their reasoning. They are taking extra (very extra) precautions with Hulk and Rockit. Both, as mentioned, go over guest areas at high speeds. Providing complimentary lockers stifles the frustration of the policy and re-affirms that it is in the name of safety. Charging for those lockers, though, means "it's for your safety and also we are nickel and diming you for it so pony up if you want to ride!" and many will see it as a complete scam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom