Universal Has Started Charging $2 for Some Ride Lockers

Jon81uk

Wait!? You have to go through a metal detector before getting on a ride there??

It's been many years since the last time I was at Islands/Studios and don't remember this.

Some idiot guests were deliberately throwing coins from the moving rollercoaster at passers-by and at other coaster trains. So they added metal detectors as unfortuantly idiot detectors aren't available.

lebeau

Original Poster
Just a heads up, if it is not a prize form a game, you can do package pick up.

However I agree, this is a terrible step backwards to the above and beyond Guest Service Universal is known for.

You can. We asked about it last time. They said that it would be ready for us to pick up in 4-6 hours or something like that. We weren't planning to spend another 4-6 hours in the park. So, that's a nice option that doesn't always work.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Some idiot guests were deliberately throwing coins from the moving rollercoaster at passers-by and at other coaster trains. So they added metal detectors as unfortuantly idiot detectors aren't available.

Coins and phones also have a way of coming out of pockets on several attractions at UO and other parks. If you look up at the netting at SeaWorld on any given day you'll find a couple of phones, hats, and all sorts of things that should have been in a locker.

Jon81uk

Coins and phones also have a way of coming out of pockets on several attractions at UO and other parks. If you look up at the netting at SeaWorld on any given day you'll find a couple of phones, hats, and all sorts of things that should have been in a locker.

Yep, that's why netting etc covers guests stood under coasters. But the metal detectors at Uni were a direct reaction to the idiots throwing. They also stopped Duelling Dragons from duelling as some idiots tried to throw from one train to the other.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yep, that's why netting etc covers guests stood under coasters. But the metal detectors at Uni were a direct reaction to the idiots throwing. They also stopped Duelling Dragons from duelling as some idiots tried to throw from one train to the other.

Oh, you're absolutely right, I wasn't disagreeing at all. :joyfull:

celluloid

Its the drink refill cups not fitting that bugs me. I general don't bring a large bag, so a small locker is fine, if I can stand the refill cup I bought in the park in the locker as well.
So tall skinny lockers instead of the wide flat ones would have worked better!
Will they fit dumped and sideways? I can understand them not wanting them upright with liquid in them for obvious reasons.

raven

When I was a kid we never took bags and such into a park. You didn’t see that many people with backpacks or even strollers for that matter. But nowadays people tend to bring their entire lives with them when visiting parks and expect to be accommodated. Every guest in those giant South American tour groups In the summer each carry a very large backpack as well.

As for larger lockers, a lot of guests have been trying to keep their items in these lockers longer than the time that is allowed. Locker times are adjusted frequently and always have a longer time than the actual attraction wait time. But they are not designed to be used for all-day storage. I expect this action is to deter those guests and encourage them to carry less. Retail items and prizes can be sent to the front of the park for later pick up.

By the way, Six Flags has been charging for lockers for years and also won’t let you bring items on most rides.

JoeCamel

When I was a kid we never took bags and such into a park. You didn’t see that many people with backpacks or even strollers for that matter. But nowadays people tend to bring their entire lives with them when visiting parks and expect to be accommodated. Every guest in those giant South American tour groups In the summer each carry a very large backpack as well.

As for larger lockers, a lot of guests have been trying to keep their items in these lockers longer than the time that is allowed. Locker times are adjusted frequently and always have a longer time than the actual attraction wait time. But they are not designed to be used for all-day storage. I expect this action is to deter those guests and encourage them to carry less. Retail items and prizes can be sent to the front of the park for later pick up.

By the way, Six Flags has been charging for lockers for years and also won’t let you bring items on most rides.
At least the tour groups seem to have a bag watcher. Maybe someone who doesn't want to ride or designated but I have seen a mound of bags being watched by one of the group while the others ride.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
$2 per ride can add up.
Some people need to bring a bag.

For me, it just means I buy less souvenirs. No more buying those big stuffed animals we usually pick up.

Photo-Jun-05-1-17-30-PM-e1533917350399.jpg

Sorry Universal, that $2 locker fee will cost you about $70 in sales.

Thats why you buy them at the end, lol

Tom Morrow

Those of you defending Universal on this decision - what is your prepared response for the inevitable $1 charge for mandatory small lockers?

Comparing to Six Flags is dumb because Six Flags does not have anything approaching Universal's extremely aggressive no loose article policies.

TwilightZone

Those of you defending Universal on this decision - what is your prepared response for the inevitable $1 charge for mandatory small lockers?

Comparing to Six Flags is dumb because Six Flags does not have anything approaching Universal's extremely aggressive no loose article policies.
Those who are defending the situation probably don’t even use the lockers.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Those who are defending the situation probably don’t even use the lockers.

I use the lockers, and I'm fine with this. Here are a few reasons why.

A. There will be more locker availability, if people have to pay to use lockers they'll leave more things in their cars/rooms/houses.
B. Lockers at the attractions that require storing bags will remain free for enough time to ride.
C. I already pay for lockers at other parks in the area so this isn't really that big a deal.
D. There are already lockers in the front of the parks for purchase if you need large item storage for $10/day.

hKaMgEm.png

- https://www.universalorlando.com/we...urs-information/childcare-services/index.html

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I use the lockers, and I'm fine with this. Here are a few reasons why.

A. There will be more locker availability, if people have to pay to use lockers they'll leave more things in their cars/rooms/houses.
B. Lockers at the attractions that require storing bags will remain free for enough time to ride.
C. I already pay for lockers at other parks in the area so this isn't really that big a deal.
D. There are already lockers in the front of the parks for purchase if you need large item storage for $10/day.

hKaMgEm.png

- https://www.universalorlando.com/we...urs-information/childcare-services/index.html
C and your copy and paste contradict each other.

lebeau

Original Poster
Thats why you buy them at the end, lol

You can if that fits your schedule. The day we bought these stuffed animals was our last day in the parks. We went to Spongebob Storepants for one and Diagon Alley for the other. On our way, we stopped and rode Men in Black a few times. Patrick got stuffed in a locker. It was nice to have the freedom to do that. Now, Universal wants to charge me for that privilege.

There are several ways I can respond to that policy. I can pay the $2. I can change my plans. I can skip the ride. I am choosing not to spend money on souvenirs that I would have ordinarily stored in a locker. I bet I'm not alone in making that choice.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Also front of the park lockers are hardly convenient when you just need to store something for 10 minutes while you ride Men in Black or the Mummy using EP.

Look at the image in my post though, the lockers are still free for the time it takes to ride an attraction that requires one.

lebeau

Original Poster
Look at the image in my post though, the lockers are still free for the time it takes to ride an attraction that requires one.

The small ones are free.

If you have a package or you need supplies that won't fit in a small bag, you either pony up for a $2 locker every time you want to ride something with a locker requirement or you schlep your way to and from the front of the park every time you need to get your stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom