Universal Has Started Charging $2 for Some Ride Lockers

trr1

The big difference is that Disney doesn't require people to go "bag free" on any of its attractions that I'm aware of. Even Rock 'n' Rollercoster and Expedition Everest have pouches in the vehicle where you can store a bag or purse (within reason - obviously a giant backpack won't fit on every ride). Even though medical conditions in my family always required one or more people to have a small bag when touring Disney, we've never had to use a locker there, ever.
ok thank you for clarifying

OG Runner

how is this any different from Disney doing the same thing only more?
found here

Magic Kingdom -
  • Inside the park on the right side just before you go under the train station
    • Standard (12.5” X 10” X 17”) $7 per day
    • Large (15.5” X 13” X 17”) $10 per day
    • Jumbo (17” x 22” x 26”) $15 per day
Epcot -
  • To the right of the base of Spaceship Earth, near the restrooms
  • International Gateway Stroller rental
Disney's Hollywood Studios -
  • Next to Oscar's Super Service
Disney's Animal Kingdom -
  • Expedition Storage lockers by Guest Services inside the park
    • Small 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
    • Large 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
Pricing at the Water Parks:
Blizzard Beach

• $8.00 rental per day for Small: 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
Typhoon Lagoon
  • $8.00 rental per day for Small: 12"H x 12" W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 18"H x 18"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned

First you are comparing apples and oranges. The point is that Universal did not charge for this in the past and now they are.
I am just as much against this as I was Disney adding parking fees. It didn't help that other hotels or parks were already charging
for parking. They were suddenly adding a fee for something that was previously free.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
ok thank you for clarifying
youre-welcome.jpg

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, can an empty souvenir cup fit into a tiny locker. I am visiting my girlfriend soon who is a Disney cast member. Back when we worked together at Disney, we had a tradition of going to Universal and trying to break our record for most icees in a single day. Our favorite rides are Mummy, Men in Black, and Hulk. The rides we want to do and our icee tradition can now not be done in the same day without paying at least another $12 (2 a piece for 2 rides on each) which for a couple of college kids on a tight budget, $12 is a food budget for a day for us.

Can the souvenir cups fit into the free lockers? If not, we will probably be changing our plans and not going to Uni next week.

lebeau

Original Poster
I realize most parks have some kind of locker rental. Universal also has daily locker rentals. That's not what this is about.

Universal is unique in that there are several rides that require you to use a locker if you are carrying anything that doesn't fit in you pocket. Comparisons to local amusement parks like Six Flags and Cedar Fair don't really hold up either. Disney and Universal are destinations. Most guests can't just run home for supplies like they can when visiting a regional amusement park. A lot of tourists are going to need supplies.

The locker situation has always been a bit of a hassle, but it was all in the name of safety. Since Universal provided free lockers, I defended their policy. But this change is in no way enhancing the guest experience. If this change was intended to increase revenue, it is a cheap and cynical move that will have unintended consequences. If the goal is to create efficiencies, I don't think they thought through the impact it will have on their guests.

lebeau

Original Poster
Alright, can an empty souvenir cup fit into a tiny locker. I am visiting my girlfriend soon who is a Disney cast member. Back when we worked together at Disney, we had a tradition of going to Universal and trying to break our record for most icees in a single day. Our favorite rides are Mummy, Men in Black, and Hulk. The rides we want to do and our icee tradition can now not be done in the same day without paying at least another $12 (2 a piece for 2 rides on each) which for a couple of college kids on a tight budget, $12 is a food budget for a day for us.

Can the souvenir cups fit into the free lockers? If not, we will probably be changing our plans and not going to Uni next week.

From what I have read on FB, yes. They will fit. You need to empty them and lay them on their side.

Animaniac93-98

Universal won't let you even bring your phone or wallet on Hulk. If they find anything in your pocket at the metal detector you get sent to a locker. If anything people just won't go on certain rides.

The Pho

Universal is unique in that there are several rides that require you to use a locker if you are carrying anything that doesn't fit in you pocket.
They moved beyond that policy a while ago. You can't have anything that sets off a metal detector regardless of pockets or anything visible in your pockets. Cell phones have to go in lockers, and they'll turn you away if they spot wallets or sunglass cases in your pockets. I even had to get a locker for my watch last time I went.

It's a policy that does nothing but annoy guests in the hopes of charging them extra when they go over the free time period while waiting.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Universal won't let you even bring your phone or wallet on Hulk. If they find anything in your pocket at the metal detector you get sent to a locker. If anything people just won't go on certain rides.

That's because Universal actual rides, unlike those little boats that float through buildings and around planets.

:joyfull:

celluloid

$2 per ride can add up.
Some people need to bring a bag.

For me, it just means I buy less souvenirs. No more buying those big stuffed animals we usually pick up.

Photo-Jun-05-1-17-30-PM-e1533917350399.jpg

Sorry Universal, that $2 locker fee will cost you about $70 in sales.

Just a heads up, if it is not a prize form a game, you can do package pick up.

However I agree, this is a terrible step backwards to the above and beyond Guest Service Universal is known for.

Jon81uk

how is this any different from Disney doing the same thing only more?
found here

Magic Kingdom -
  • Inside the park on the right side just before you go under the train station
Epcot -
  • To the right of the base of Spaceship Earth, near the restrooms
  • International Gateway Stroller rental
Disney's Hollywood Studios -
  • Next to Oscar's Super Service
Disney's Animal Kingdom -
  • Expedition Storage lockers by Guest Services inside the park
    • Small 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
    • Large 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep
Pricing at the Water Parks:
Blizzard Beach

• $8.00 rental per day for Small: 11"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 17"H x 9"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
Typhoon Lagoon
  • $8.00 rental per day for Small: 12"H x 12" W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned
  • $10.00 rental per day for Large: 18"H x 18"W x 16" Deep plus a $5.00 key deposit which is refunded when the key is returned

Disney force you to carry your bag onto the ride.

Universal ban you from taking anything on the ride.

Jon81uk

Its the drink refill cups not fitting that bugs me. I general don't bring a large bag, so a small locker is fine, if I can stand the refill cup I bought in the park in the locker as well.
So tall skinny lockers instead of the wide flat ones would have worked better!

Omnikron

Wait!? You have to go through a metal detector before getting on a ride there??

It's been many years since the last time I was at Islands/Studios and don't remember this.

Omnikron

Interesting to know, thank you. Going back to the rental charges. I really don't see any other reason other than to remove more money from your visitors. Now my only experience in ride lockers is from Disney World and Busch Gardens. With Disney you have the keep it with you on the ride and with BG, they offer a few cubbys where you can put your drink or other items. To say "Hey thanks for the $100 per person entry fee into our park, you now have to pay $2 per ride to store that $15 or so souvinor cup before we permit you to ride this ride."

Tom Morrow

Also regarding souvenir cups. On more than one occasion I have rented a locker only to find that a drink was spilled in it. if I hadn't been paying attention I would have ended up with a very sticky or possibly ruined phone. Imagine having a backpack or purse completely stained because the previous person let their drink spill inside the locker. These new lockers are wide and thin when they should be tall. It's also funny that at each location they have been installed, only a small fraction of the total number of available lockers are large lockers.

Universal has held the benefit of generally being less stressful than Disney for a while but their ever-increasingly aggressive locker policies are certainly working to undo this.

Rider

I worked at Cedar Point way back in the day. One year we started a similar policy to Universal and prohibited all bags and loose articles from all rides (and queues). Lockers were available for a cost. They were also correctly sized to hold the souvenir cups.

People put their bags in bushes and trees. They threw cups and toys at employees. The policy lasted about two weeks before they backed down due to complaints (and a drop in games and store revenue). To this day only Millennium Force and Dragster require lockers. And that's mostly because of their dual station design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom