Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

JT3000

I have to agree…If this was Disney people would be complaining about walking through a Marriott style hotel at the entrance…and that would be from the moment the first designs were available…. but it gets a pass because universal
There's no hotel at the entrance, and you won't be walking through it unless you're staying there, in which case there's no sense in complaining about having to do so.

lazyboy97o

Even now, we know it's coming next year, which is still in-line with the pause in construction. We just don't know when exactly, because the projected time frame has been moved up, which is certainly more palatable than another delay.
Next year is not in line with the pause. The one year pause pushed the project out by about 18 months.

bwr827

Like the Mario bands or Potter wands but specifically for Berk. I feel like I heard about it in one of Stella's videos, but it looks to have just been a rumor or simple speculation. I just remember rolling my eyes when I heard it.

That said, buying even two separate interactive items for two lands in the same park is egregious. I can see someone on here bragging about how they didn't have to deal with a Genie+ type system, yet paid for a top-dollar hotel and bought multiple interactive items (per child) on top of theme park admission, food, snacks, etc.
I don’t begrudge them for not providing wands (or similar) for free. You can enjoy so much at Wizarding World without them.

However, I do begrudge the wand price. Especially as a Canadian. Pretty sure my credit card bill showed $90 per wand after the exchange rate, for my kids.

The silver lining with the wands is they’re a really cool souvenir, and one my kids still appreciate a year later.

If Epic or WDW add more of this kind of interactivity, I hope they can figure out ways to also make the required item a good souvenir.

DKampy

There's no hotel at the entrance, and you won't be walking through it unless you're staying there, in which case there's no sense in complaining about having to do so.
I did not mean to say walking through… I know there is a separate theme park entrance for day guests… that does not prevent from being a gaudy hotel at the front of the park… that people would be complaining about Disney sla Rivuera…. But it seems people only care about themeing with Disney

Animaniac93-98

I did not mean to say walking through… I know there is a separate theme park entrance for day guests… that does not prevent from being a gaudy hotel at the front of the park… that people would be complaining about Disney sla Rivuera…. But it seems people only care about themeing with Disney

It's at the back of the park, and people here have complained about the two new ugly hotels in Tokyo Disney too.

Universal built a knock off Bellagio behind their knock off Bellagio fountain. It's boring, but does what it sets out to achieve better than Riviera or the Poly tower, neither of which come close to what they allegedly represent.

I have also expressed concerns about Helios impacting sightlines in the park, along with the Monsters show building and Stardust Racers being so close to Berk.

DKampy

It's at the back of the park, and people here have complained about the two new ugly hotels in Tokyo Disney too.

Universal built a knock off Bellagio behind their knock off Bellagio fountain. It's boring, but does what it sets out to achieve better than Riviera or the Poly tower, neither of which come close to what they allegedly represent.

I have also expressed concerns about Helios impacting sightlines in the park, along with the Monsters show building and Stardust Racers being so close to Berk.
I am also against the poly tower and Riviera…. They all seem like Mariott and Hilton ripoffs…. Where is the creativity…. That was my point…. People complain about the Disney ones and praise the new Epic Universe hotel…I will say I have never been to Tokyo DisneySea… but from what I have seen in photos I do like the Mira Costa… it blends in with the theming and surroundings… that’s how you do a inside the theme park hotel

ToTBellHop

It should be a lovely family memory the first time you and the kids are waiting for the fireworks and see a couple having some adult time. People forget windows are clear on cruise ships and others get a free show. It’ll happen here, too. But, people will be paying $200 for a ticket to that fireworks preshow.

People walking around naked after a shower should be a regular occurrence.

Sorcerer Mickey

The Epic Universe announcement confirmed they were building a new park, which is what they're doing. Specific details were always going to come later. It also came with an opening window, which was missed due to Covid, but we were nonetheless given a reasonable idea of when to expect the project's completion. Even now, we know it's coming next year, which is still in-line with the pause in construction. We just don't know when exactly, because the projected time frame has been moved up, which is certainly more palatable than another delay. Either way, no one ever gives us an exact date this far out, not even for a single attraction, much less an entire park.

The UK park technically hasn't been "announced," as there's no actual confirmation that it's happening. They only revealed publicly that they were exploring the option because they were forced to. It could still be scrapped tomorrow for all we know.

Universal & Disney are both well aware of the expectations they're setting when they officially announce something. This is why they're usually careful to not include certain details or a time frame when these things are currently unavailable. And to their credit, Disney didn't initially give us a time frame for their Avatar project, nor did Universal with their Nintendo project. Still, do I personally think both projects were announced prematurely? Absolutely. You should never announce new attractions while still early in the design process. It serves no purpose other than to make for a more agonizing wait for guests. And yet there's still a big difference between making vague promises you'll get around to eventually and making explicit promises you can't keep, such as Tron's opening window, or the cancelled Marry Poppins attraction. Those were just bad.
Thank you. You articulated what I was trying to say earlier but much more succinctly. I was doing research before my last post and refreshed my memory on Pandora, and was shocked to read they only began exploring the idea months before they made a deal with James Cameron and announced the land to the public.

Sorcerer Mickey

FTFY

Riding the wheel shortly after it opened with a bunch of like minded people from all over the world and looking out at a future theme park. It was an amazing time for a theme park fan like me

Was there concrete conversations among the public about Epic Universe in 2015? The earliest I can remember was 2018, maybe 2017, when the name was floating around from a leaked presentation during a private event. I vaguely remember conflict regarding hazardous waste when Universal re-purchased the Lockheed land in 2016.

JoeCamel

Was there concrete conversations among the public about Epic Universe in 2015? The earliest I can remember was 2018, maybe 2017, when the name was floating around from a leaked presentation during a private event. I vaguely remember conflict regarding hazardous waste when Universal re-purchased the Lockheed land in 2016.
The land purchases were in progress at the time, public knew little to nothing as they were buzzing about Diagon Alley and HHN expansion but a few on the wheel were very wired in to the project so I was in fan heaven. It was very much to be seen if they could get all the property but they were taking a run at it.

lazyboy97o

There were.

Universal was publicly admonished by Orange County over the nascent project. In 2014 it was announced that. Polercoaster (a 570’ observation tower with an integrated roller coaster) was going to be built on I-Drive. Universal secretly created a “concerned citizens” group to oppose the project. The group naturally drew suspicion as I-Drive is I-Drive and it was revealed that Universal was behind the group. The county outed Universal as being behind the recent land purchases and trying to protect sight lines in their future theme park development.

This resulted in Universal being sued by the previous landowner for additional compensation. When Universal sold the land they had put in place deed restrictions preventing the land from being used for a theme park or similar purpose. They were clearly intending to use the land for a new park. The land would have been more valuable if anyone else could have developed the land for such uses. Universal ended up paying more for the land and going through the legal process to formally remove the deed restrictions.

sonoma15

I have to agree…If this was Disney people would be complaining about walking through a Marriott style hotel at the entrance…and that would be from the moment the first designs were available…. but it gets a pass because universal
1719889265583.png

Saying this is on the same level of a Marriott is pretty crazy. It looks absolutely beautiful in this concept art and is already very stunning in person. You can already see the hotel from some spots on i-4 and it's amazing.

Disstevefan1

View attachment 796038
Saying this is on the same level of a Marriott is pretty crazy. It looks absolutely beautiful in this concept art and is already very stunning in person. You can already see the hotel from some spots on i-4 and it's amazing.
Comments saying this is same level as Marriot are from the "Universal Haters" this is a strong and vocal group. These folks hate anything that is not Disney.

The "Universal Haters" are only hurting themselves.

Disney and Universal battle for the tourists dollar and the winner is the tourists because we get choices like this!

Andrew25

Helios will be a beautiful resort and I think it's fine to have it inside the park. I'm a bit skeptical of having it as the focal point at the back of the park (would have preferred it to be at the front of the park).

From Universal blvd it's looking very nice.

Andrew25

Does your perception suppress the previous six years of land development and construction?

Seven. Seven years from groundbreaking.
While not entirely incorrect, Universal had started work on the land before this current version of Epic Universe was greenlit. Back in 2017, Super Nintendo World was still planned for the KidZone area prior to being moved to a newer version of the 4th gate - aka Epic Universe is born. This was going to be built within 4 years prior to Covid (original goal of 2023).

It sucks that it took this long, but a lot of it was out of Universal's control... but at least we got improved entertainment and arguably the best roller coaster on the planet in the interim.

Shanghai Disneyland took 5 years to build, and that had a ridiculous amount of government support once construction began.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom