Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

You know, for all his faults (and there were many), there is something to be said for the fact that this wouldn't have happened under Michael Eisner's watch.

The day Universal announced this, Eisner would have called one of his famous strategy sessions with top Imagineers where he would have told them in no uncertain terms that no one was leaving until they came up 5 good ideas for new attractions that could top Potter.

Say what you want about the man, but he had a passion an drive for parks and resorts.
Agreed, he may have lost is head post Wells, but before that he did some amazing things for the company.

disney fan 13

Agreed, he may have lost is head post Wells, but before that he did some amazing things for the company.

true if universal had not come along we would still only have two parks...

P.S and for those people who think we think that Universal can do no wrong. look at Hulk... but they are improving, i read somewhere that spidey will be going down 6 month's for it's refurb and we can all pray ( and all send in 100s of fake guest surveys saying you where there yesterday and you were not coming back till it was fixed) that hulk get's a heavy refurb next ( followed by dudley doo ) and IOA will be in tip top shape

cheezbat

true if universal had not come along we would still only have two parks...

P.S and for those people who think we think that Universal can do no wrong. look at Hulk... but they are improving, i read somewhere that spidey will be going down 6 month's for it's refurb and we can all pray ( and all send in 100s of fake guest surveys saying you where there yesterday and you were not coming back till it was fixed) that hulk get's a heavy refurb next ( followed by dudley doo ) and IOA will be in tip top shape

Hulk is getting better. I was so glad to see it cleaned and painted after it looked so terrible awhile back. Word on the street is that Universal is planning on doing alot of freshening up in the park to get it to where it should be. Three or four more good additions and IOA could very easily be the best theme park in America.

disney fan 13

Hulk is getting better. I was so glad to see it cleaned and painted after it looked so terrible awhile back. Word on the street is that Universal is planning on doing alot of freshening up in the park to get it to where it should be. Three or four more good additions and IOA could very easily be the best theme park in America.

i think spidey is the start of that,

as for the additions. i have looked ( or am looking right now...) on google earth and i only see 2-3 expansion plots in IOA, next to jurrastic park, right next to potter ( backstage not LC) and a small one for suess. The studios has like 3 massive plots of expansion spots though. plus i say they chnge the rest of the lost continent to LOTR but thats just me...

Captain Chaos

This is true. I totally agree about Pixar. The Pixar movies all have incredible ride potential. I don't really get it. They were all pretty successful and seem to have a following today. I don't get why Iger and Staggs chose Avatar when a 500-600 million dollar Pixar Place expansion is obviously the safe bet.

Maybe some Universal smoke and mirrors... What I mean is, some folks elsewhere kept saying Universal was going after Avatar... After seeing what Universal did with Potter, and realizing they messed up royally, Disney reacted by making sure THEY secured Avatar... In reality, Universal wants Lord of the Rings, not Avatar.... So Disney jumps on Avatar thinking they one up Universal, meanwhile, Potter 2.0 comes to Universal, KidZone gets a make over, a water park comes to the resort, a miniature gold course opens, a value resort gets built, Sinbad becomes the Hogwarts station and the rest of LC becomes Lord of the Rings... All the while, Disney is left holding their arses in a sling as Universal sticks it to the mouse....

Captain Chaos

I rode Hulk in October and thought it was the worst experience I ever had on a coaster... Felt very rough... Came off with a headache...

Captain Chaos

i think spidey is the start of that,

as for the additions. i have looked ( or am looking right now...) on google earth and i only see 2-3 expansion plots in IOA, next to jurrastic park, right next to potter ( backstage not LC) and a small one for suess. The studios has like 3 massive plots of expansion spots though. plus i say they chnge the rest of the lost continent to LOTR but thats just me...

There may actually be something to your last sentence.. Read my post above :)

disney fan 13

I rode Hulk in October and thought it was the worst experience I ever had on a coaster... Felt very rough... Came off with a headache...

As I said needs a refurb. I also heard when it eventually gets a refurb I heard inboard speakers. And music

There may actually be something to your last sentence.. Read my post above :)

Could be highly profitable for them to do it since it will be decently popular. I have a problem with avatar land because all the imagineers have is the story of the second and third films. Not the film. So they can't watch it 20 times or go back and see what color that plant was and so on...

Mouse Detective

I have a problem with avatar land because all the imagineers have is the story of the second and third films. Not the film. So they can't watch it 20 times or go back and see what color that plant was and so on...

While that's typically how these things develop, you have to assume that this time Disney will help create the second and third films based on their ideas. And their ideas will include many things that can translate into theme park rides, restaurants and MERCHANDISE. This is why Avatarland is set to be built so far in the future. The films have to be created first!

lt94

Maybe Disney is looking at Once Upon A Time
The TV show is doing well and ABC is a Disney Company
This type of media would fit well in one of the parks
just maybe

Ignohippo

Original Poster
when the egg's have not been layed yet...

P.S anyone else notice that potter even though most likely on the same scope will beat avatar to opening by two years... as i said to late.

Which is exactly why a Pixar Place expansion should be developed in the meantime. At the very least, they should be trying to get a MI coaster up and running by 2014. DHS desperately needs a new thrill ride (or 5), MU is coming out in 2013, and Avatarland won't be opening until 2015-17 (if ever).

I'm sure they're thinking that the FLE will bring guests to the parks for the next 3 or 4 years. That's great for MK, but if AK, EPCOT and DHS are stale now, just imagine how bored people will be with them in 3 years when there hasn't been anything new added (and it's a fact that there won't be – there's no time to get a new attraction up and running before 2015 at this point, besides maybe a new show in place of BATB).

We're annual passholders, but I can tell you that we won't be in 2013 & 2014. We'll renew them one more time so that we can see LM, BATB and Circusland when they're complete, but there's no incentive to renew them past that. Honestly, as much as we love WDW, we're sick to death of the parks. There just hasn't been enough new added to keep us interested after having passes for the last 4 years. Besides, now there's Legoland and Potter at Uni who are more than happy to take our money.

I imagine there are a ton of people in the same boat as we are. I didn't expect Legoland to be as much of a factor as it is for us, but it's a really fun park and it's going to eat at the money we have budgeted for WDW annual passes. Pair that with wanting to go to Uni at least once a year, and there really isn't much incentive to keep renewing our passes past the FLE expansion.

In the end, that's what TDO's problem is. They need to be looking at each park as an individual entity, rather than looking at the resort as a whole. While I understand something like the FLE will bring tons of new visitors from around the world to the parks, they need to realize that new attractions at all of the parks could make 3 day visits into 5 day visits – and not for just park admissions, but for resorts, dining, merchandise sales, etc. Each park needs at least one major addition each year to keep the incentive to visit all 4 parks.

GLaDOS

I'm sure they're thinking that the FLE will bring guests to the parks for the next 3 or 4 years. That's great for MK, but if AK, EPCOT and DHS are stale now, just imagine how bored people will be with them in 3 years when there hasn't been anything new added

I think this is something a lot of people seem to overlook. Yes the FLE is a...nice addition. But does it help the other three parks? Not in the slightest.

Look at Universal. They finished up WWoHP, and realized their original park needed a big draw. So they start work on a new night show, a big park expansion, and a refresh on other parts of the park.

Look at Disneyland. They're finishing up a 1.5 billion expansion/redo at DCA, and there's already talk of DL adding attractions because of the WWoHP California.

At WDW we get a capacity reclaiming "expansion" and a nebulous plan to possibly, maybe do something with Avatar in the next decade. While at the same time Epcot could do with at least 3 redone pavilions (cheaper than building full attractions), and DHS needs to be filled out into a full day park. On top of that, the resort needs infrastructure upgrades wholesale (roads, bus system, monorail, etc).

I'm not crazy and think all this needs to be done next year. But if ever there was a time for a solid 5-10 year plan for WDW, it's now. NextGen will add some interesting touches here and there, but for the most part its fixing things that aren't broke. And if they continue to ignore things that ARE broken...well I just don't know.

I'm not trying to be a hater or anything. I'm just sad because I've seen a lot of things slipping in the past decade, and they're things I don't think the company of Florida management really takes note of. At least I hope they don't take note of, because the flip side would be they don't care. And that would be even more sad.

disney fan 13

Which is exactly why a Pixar Place expansion should be developed in the meantime. At the very least, they should be trying to get a MI coaster up and running by 2014. DHS desperately needs a new thrill ride (or 5), MU is coming out in 2013, and Avatarland won't be opening until 2015-17 (if ever).

I'm sure they're thinking that the FLE will bring guests to the parks for the next 3 or 4 years. That's great for MK, but if AK, EPCOT and DHS are stale now, just imagine how bored people will be with them in 3 years when there hasn't been anything new added (and it's a fact that there won't be – there's no time to get a new attraction up and running before 2015 at this point, besides maybe a new show in place of BATB).

We're annual passholders, but I can tell you that we won't be in 2013 & 2014. We'll renew them one more time so that we can see LM, BATB and Circusland when they're complete, but there's no incentive to renew them past that. Honestly, as much as we love WDW, we're sick to death of the parks. There just hasn't been enough new added to keep us interested after having passes for the last 4 years. Besides, now there's Legoland and Potter at Uni who are more than happy to take our money.

I imagine there are a ton of people in the same boat as we are. I didn't expect Legoland to be as much of a factor as it is for us, but it's a really fun park and it's going to eat at the money we have budgeted for WDW annual passes. Pair that with wanting to go to Uni at least once a year, and there really isn't much incentive to keep renewing our passes past the FLE expansion.

In the end, that's what TDO's problem is. They need to be looking at each park as an individual entity, rather than looking at the resort as a whole. While I understand something like the FLE will bring tons of new visitors from around the world to the parks, they need to realize that new attractions at all of the parks could make 3 day visits into 5 day visits – and not for just park admissions, but for resorts, dining, merchandise sales, etc. Each park needs at least one major addition each year to keep the incentive to visit all 4 parks.

Personally when the second movie (or third) bomb avatar will die.
As for FLE it will not bring anybody new to the parks.
As disney waits for avatar, universal gets Potter( hopefully LOTR after) a new fireworks lagoOn show, new kids zone ( krabby patty) some refurbs and some new rides. Plus I did not even say what was going on in CW and the water park

sry for grammar but i am on the iphone

Captain Chaos

Personally when the second movie (or third) bomb avatar will die.
As for FLE it will not bring anybody new to the parks.
As disney waits for avatar, universal gets Potter( hopefully LOTR after) a new fireworks lagoOn show, new kids zone ( krabby patty) some refurbs and some new rides. Plus I did not even say what was going on in CW and the water park

Why do you think Avatar 2 and 3 will bomb??? Even if business for 2 and 3 drops in half, that's still 600 million... Which is far from bomb status....

lebeau

You lost me right here. DHS desperately needs family friendly rides. Thrill rides are relatively low on the list of things DHS needs.

disney fan 13

Why do you think Avatar 2 and 3 will bomb??? Even if business for 2 and 3 drops in half, that's still 600 million... Which is far from bomb status....

i don't know about you but everyone i know has no interest seeing the second ( and trust me when the expansion was announced i asked everyone...) movie. i mean if it doesn't then happy days AK gets it expansion

P.S do you know how much more a 3D movie like avatar costs at the movies. move it down to regular movie prices and see how much it makes...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom