Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

BigThunderMatt

You are being absurd.

Proof please.

You realize that Transformers and Spider-Man are pretty much the exact same ride right? Universal would be profoundly stupid to build a clone of Spider-Man albeit with Transformers theming right next door.

That would be tantamount to Disney putting the Indy ride at Studios with Dinosaur just up the road.

cheezbat

Ok all you 'in-the-know' guys...You're saying HP2 is going in place of Jaws, and you're saying Transformers ISNT GOING THERE...so you're saying Transformers is still coming? I'm confused. Tell us what you know!!! :ROFLOL: Is there something else being planned? And if this new addition is going in Studios, what's gonna be done to help keep the parks balanced? What's going to go to IOA?

devoy1701

The timeframe is pretty impressive. From announcement to completion could be less than 2 years from the rumors floating around.

And let's wait for some dirt to get moved before we can evn begin to put a timeframe on AV-Land.

2020 might not be an exageration.

I don't get what's with Disney's long, drawn out construction timelines. It shouldn't have taken/shouldn't be taking 3-4 years to complete Fantasyland and 8 years to complete Pandora. Disney needs to take more than quite a few notes from Universal Creative and the Executive team over there.

Granted that I have no idea what the conversations have ever been like, but Disney really might have to swallow their pride and sit down with George Lucas again. If there was ever a time to really expand the Star Wars Universe, then it certainly would be now. Disney might have to be willing to not eat as much of the profit pie in a deal, but it would be a win for them regardless.

Agreed.

What caused the 360 from a few months ago when you were all about Transformers going over by the now demolished HRC? ;)

Like others have said, you shouldn't have to wait too long for the proof.

Which HRC was demolished?

You realize that Transformers and Spider-Man are pretty much the exact same ride right? Universal would be profoundly stupid to build a clone of Spider-Man albeit with Transformers theming right next door.

That would be tantamount to Disney putting the Indy ride at Studios with Dinosaur just up the road.

Or like having Dumbo in Fantasyland and Aladdin in Aventureland? Or having Small World in Fantasyland, Pirates in Adventureland, and Grande Fiesta Tour in World Showcase?

Using the same ride system isn't a big deal with the right theming.

c-one

Sorry to contribute to the thread drift, but Transformers and Spiderman use the same ride system but not the same layout. They're about as similar as Men in Black and the Cat in the Hat are.

puntagordabob

Granted that I have no idea what the conversations have ever been like, but Disney really might have to swallow their pride and sit down with George Lucas again. If there was ever a time to really expand the Star Wars Universe, then it certainly would be now. Disney might have to be willing to not eat as much of the profit pie in a deal, but it would be a win for them regardless.

I think an expanded Star Wars presence would be a great move short, mid, and long term.... Star Wars is still going strong since 1977.

Ehh. I'm not crazy about this idea.

Well there were people not crazy about Uni's Potter addition too before it was built... look how THAT turned out over there for Uni! So, apoligies but I think an expanded Star Wars presence is a great idea!

Speculation and ideas are based on the assumption Disney even cares. I was thinking after the official announcement from Universal today that we would hear something at least interesting from Disney, but instead the Disney Blog posted stories about holiday songs being added for selection to American Idol, Japan's remodeled quick service location...oh, and they patted themselves on the back for Wild Africa Trek's success (yet again). Not only were they not exciting articles or announcements - they were unnecessary. Not well played if they have any interest or concern for what is going on over in Metrowest.

What you see on their official blog does not represent what is going on in the Halls of Power at TDO...... that is a Given.

I totally agree here. Also, Disney has built entire parks in the amount of time it will take them to have the Fantasyland expansion complete.

Yep.... thats a fact that always comes to mind when I hear of these several year projects.....of course some of the projects in the MIDDLE of the existing parks could slow it down....but FLE and where we all on here suspect Avatarland will appear in DAK are certainly something that can be worked on with direct access from the perimeter. Disney should put a Blue Sky exhibit in each of the parks that are adding on like this (like DCA did).... people would go from the "look at that ugly construction" with no Blue Sky exhibit to "hey look! Thats the so and so I saw in the exhibit...look at that is that this?" and so on with one to see.....

Disney really isn't leaving Epcot out in the cold anyway. Test Track is going a refurbishment sometime starting in Summer or Fall of 2012 that lasts 6 months with changes.

A refurb of Test Track really does not seem anywhere in the same calibur as these other additions.... EPCOT needs Love for sure.... but here is the thing....they should ADD to EPCOT (and to the other parks) without always deleting something else.

Well, here's a quote from the article referenced a few pages back, but I know I had read it even before they backed out of the DC project. I will hopefully be able to find those references tomorrow.

"At the same time, Disney executives have pledged to investors to reduce capital spending once the company completes a current slate of projects that includes the Hawaiian resort, two new cruise ships and park expansions around the world. Capital spending at Disney's theme park division nearly doubled during the company's 2011 fiscal year — from $1.5 billion to $2.7 billion — and is expected to approach $3__billion in 2012."

Yeah...but how much of that is in WDW... I am Happy for China and for DCA for getting all the zillions of dollars they are getting...but it still does not change the fact that WDW needs major love too... and since it is so big land wise it makes little sense to me that the investments here are usually smaller than everywhere else.....at least that is my perception.

I'm pretty sure Disney feels like they've already announced the competition with Avatarland. Which means they have no idea what to do.

Disney always has a bunch of Blue Sky projects on the shelf..... it is getting the dollars from the cheap accountants (and preventing all the cheap down cutbacks that follow) from trashing or outright denying it.

Disney doesn't care (the business side, anyway) about Potter eclipsing them in ride technology or anything like that, it only comes down to Universal stealing a day or two from them in their tourists, and stopping said tourists from staying in Disney hotels for those 1 or 2 nights.

If it was a one time thing then yes you are correct....but it seems like the other parks are starting to rev up momentum to create rides and experiences that are eclisping Disney in Orlando..... and the problem is that the average tourist has no true loyalty to Disney (unlike most of us!) so the shift in numbers go from a trickle to a deluge with no real reason other than the perception of "Joe Tourist".

I really don't think Disney has much to worry about right now. .

Correct!!! Sadly though it is the Tomorrows that worry me.....

I wouldn't call it "Potterworld". More like Potterland. Just the fact that the Potter area is so small will keep it from being any serious threat to Disney. They can only cram a limited number of guests in there at any point in time. So while Universal is treating guests like sardines, Disney is spreading out their theme parks with the FLE and Avatar. Both will increase their respective parks' guest areas substantially. Universal has issues with space WDW will never need to fret.

If Universal starts to re-imagine their parks using techniques that our friends at Disneyland Resort use then this might be a big shock to you. A lot of us love the "world" of Disney themeing to the parks and resorts....however your average tourist who has no loyalty to Disney is more likely impressed with "Cool Rides" or whatever fits their fancy at the moment.... Disneyland Resort is packed like a sardines can (though it really does not seem like it when you are there and THAT PERCEPTION is truly the only thing that matters to the average tourist!), has almost as many rides as ALL of WDW, and their Non-Local Mix is WAY higher than most people would have you believe!

TDO needs to start expanding the rides at the parks..... the New Fantasyland adds how many rides to the historical number of rides at the MK.....????

-1 removal of Subs
-1 removal of SWSA
-1 Skyway though I am not sure if that was more ride or transport lol
+0 with the toontown coaster since it is repurposed
+0 with Dumbo (adding a spinner adds people capacity though but it is still one ride!)
+1 7 Dwarfs Mine coaster
+1 Little Mermaid

I do think the new Fantasyland will be awesome though...the theming, the new eatery locations, etc... sound to be wonderful additions to the MK!!!!

The real problem is not entirely on Disney either.... the problem today is that the average tourist is stereotyped as impatient, too stupid to have an attention span for more than a few minutes, and that they are "Once in a lifetime visitors" and TDO needs to stop basing their choices on Dumbing stuff down to the lowest denominator of their visitors.... Disneyland seems to be embracing the opposite approach going with quality, lots of frequent changes to entertainment (parades and everything else), and Plussing things even when they didnt need to be (such as the Holiday overlays), etc and it really seems to be working for them.

Testtrack321

They're not that close, they use the same vehicles and the 3D with large screens, but not the same layout. In fact I'd go as far to say Transformers is significantly less impressive due to the lack of practical effects that Spiderman does have.

fosse76

Meh...I think all Disney would have to do is highlight the fact you have to buy two park tickets to experience one land.

Sure, many people are going to line up for that, but I can see many also balking at the idea.

You'd have to have a park-hopper or at least a two-day park ticket to experience Avatarland as well.

cheezbat

Thanks for that... :rolleyes:

lol. I didn't know there was an HRC there prior to the Colosseum. Where was it located?

It was located outside of the Universal Studios park...but directly behind Woody Woodpecker's Kid Zone. You used to be able to see it from the WW Nuthouse Coaster. At one time many years ago there was a path leading from the exit of the coaster to the back of the cafe.

devoy1701

It was located outside of the Universal Studios park...but directly behind Woody Woodpecker's Kid Zone. You used to be able to see it from the WW Nuthouse Coaster. At one time many years ago there was a path leading from the exit of the coaster to the back of the cafe.

ah. I see it now. Thank you! :wave:

raymusiccity

Quality vs. Quantity

When it comes to Harry Potter I was huge fan of the books. I was the right age at the right time and read them as they hit bookstores. The movies however fell short in my opinion. What i imagined in my head could never match what they put on film, and I feel like a lot of people feel this way about the movies and likewise about the land in Universal. I visit Disney World every year and yes I saw potter land when it opened simply because me neighbor is a travel agent and gave me free passes, I will most likely never return and was out of Universal by lunch out of boredom. It's the feeling of Disney that brings me back again and again and Universal will never have that same feeling of being in the "world". I tend not to look at Avatar as being an advertisement for the movie but instead as this incredibly immersive world. If people stop looking at avatar land in terms of fan loyalty and instead think about how this might be one of the most cutting edge, and immersive lands Disney has built in a long time it would make everyone happier imo.

I agree with your point of view. Just take a few pictures of Disney's Christmas Parade(or Electrical Street Parade or Spectro Magic) and make a comparison to Uni's 'Macy's Parade'. Uni really looks like amatuer night or a Christmas parade thrown together by a local mall. They can't even have 'cast members' carry the balloons down the street. They enlist 'volunteers' to hold onto them. The 'Shrek' character costuming is one step away from scary, etc.

I'll take the Quality of Disney any day.:xmas:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well, I can only speak for myself on how this will affect the way I spend my vacation dollars. US has just gained another day from me. They had already stolen away a day and night from Disney. Now it is 2 nights and 2 days. So my week vacation has gone from being 7 days at WDW to 5 days and 2 at US.

Very exciting stuff. And there doesn't seem to be any doubt that HP2 will be completed long before AvatarLand. Good job Uni.

Jimmy Thick

People need to realize that no matter what Universal does with Potter, it dosen't effect Disney like some would love to believe. The way the theme parks are in the Orlando area, its almost impossible to got to Universal without visiting Disney, or what it more than likely is for non Florida residents, people are staying at Disney and going to see Potter for a day.

Potter is not setting the world on fire like people want to dream, its still Disney's pie, Universal is the crust.

Jimmy Thick-Still think Disney should steal Universal front of the line access for deluxe resort guest though...

Mickey_777

You'd have to have a park-hopper or at least a two-day park ticket to experience Avatarland as well.

Why? Persumably a single day non-hopper ticket will get you in AK and thus Avatarland.

I'm also confused by that post...

I think what he/she was trying to say is that there isn't enough to do at AK to be there all day and not visit another park as well. But that's assuming AK is the second park you visit that day.

A train connecting one land split between two parks sounds so dumb to me. Ever notice how WDW has to "react" to Uni's every move? What are we rival gangs LOL :D? I do think, however, that Avatar might need to be pushed up a wee bit on the time table now.

jakeman

Which two parks are Avatar going to straddle?
I think what he/she was trying to say is that there isn't enough to do at AK to be there all day and not visit another park as well. But that's assuming AK is the second park you visit that day.
Oh well, in that case...zing?

This is a risk if they are truly splitting up the land. They are taking the chance that the demand for Potter is greater than the content of the remainder of their parks.

They have the key set pieces, Hogwart's and the surrounding area, at IOA and you are asking a family to drop another $50-$75 per person (not sure of the pricing structure) for a secondary area. It's like splitting up the Magic Kingdom and having to pay for Fantasyland and then have to pay for Main Street and Liberty Square.

Also, this should be worrisome to the consumer, because what if it does work? That's a new ballgame for all theme parks. If Disney, or Uni, or Sea World feels their property is strong enough what's to keep them from following this lead and requiring multiple pass for one experience?

I am looking forward to a new Potter experience (my wife and son more so than me), but this is a risk, both for Uni and for the consumer.

c-one

A train connecting one land split between two parks sounds so dumb to me. Ever notice how WDW has to "react" to Uni's every move? What are we rival gangs LOL :D? I do think, however, that Avatar might need to be pushed up a wee bit on the time table now.

Not rival gangs, but these are businesses that are competing for the same pool of dollars. The back and forth matters.

Pioneer Hall

People need to realize that no matter what Universal does with Potter, it dosen't effect Disney like some would love to believe. The way the theme parks are in the Orlando area, its almost impossible to got to Universal without visiting Disney, or what it more than likely is for non Florida residents, people are staying at Disney and going to see Potter for a day.

Potter is not setting the world on fire like people want to dream, its still Disney's pie, Universal is the crust.

Jimmy Thick-Still think Disney should steal Universal front of the line access for deluxe resort guest though...

You are correct that Disney will continue to be #1. However, you can be less of a #1 than you currently are and see your profit margins shrink because of it. Disney makes the bulk of their money from the food, merchandise, etc that a guest spends. They want you to take their bus from the airport, stay in their hotels, and buy their meal plan so you won't consider anything else. If competition in the area continues to grow in ways that will take even a day or two off that Disney loses. Sure they will still get your money for 5 out of your 7 days, but they used to get it for the whole time. Also, if you are now deciding to spend less time with the mouse you might be more complacent with not staying in their very expensive hotel rooms or eating in their restaurants as well. So, Mickey could very well stay King, but he is going to watch his kingdom get smaller and smaller. Also, when you keep in mind that Disney has lived by this for so long that reduction could send them into panic mode.

Let's also not forget that the other player in town, Sea World, announced their own mega expansion not that long ago as well. The game is changing in Orlando where Universal and even possibly Sea World aren't just considered "those other parks". Orlando could become more of the destination, with Disney now just being just where you spend the majority of your time. If I was Disney, I would be somewhat worried and I would be trying to find ways that are going to bring people back into my parks for practically their entire vacations. You can only offer so many room discounts and free dining before people get complacent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom