Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

Pete C

So it seems telling that Uni is not playing this up as a major expansion. Only that they will be expanding on the offerings.

Uni is not playing this up as a major expansion? :brick: Man, seriously you are hilarious. Let's see how much they are not playing it up when they unveil the official plans.

Jimmy Thick

You are correct that Disney will continue to be #1. However, you can be less of a #1 than you currently are and see your profit margins shrink because of it. Disney makes the bulk of their money from the food, merchandise, etc that a guest spends. They want you to take their bus from the airport, stay in their hotels, and buy their meal plan so you won't consider anything else. If competition in the area continues to grow in ways that will take even a day or two off that Disney loses. Sure they will still get your money for 5 out of your 7 days, but they used to get it for the whole time. Also, if you are now deciding to spend less time with the mouse you might be more complacent with not staying in their very expensive hotel rooms or eating in their restaurants as well. So, Mickey could very well stay King, but he is going to watch his kingdom get smaller and smaller. Also, when you keep in mind that Disney has lived by this for so long that reduction could send them into panic mode.

Let's also not forget that the other player in town, Sea World, announced their own mega expansion not that long ago as well. The game is changing in Orlando where Universal and even possibly Sea World aren't just considered "those other parks". Orlando could become more of the destination, with Disney now just being just where you spend the majority of your time. If I was Disney, I would be somewhat worried and I would be trying to find ways that are going to bring people back into my parks for practically their entire vacations. You can only offer so many room discounts and free dining before people get complacent.

Valid points, but until Universal and Sea World offer a complete 5-10 day vacation destination, they will and continue to get trumped by Disney. People are visiting Universal and Sea World, they are staying at Disney, this is where Disney has them beat to a pulp, and like you stated, thats where they make their money. What gives Disney the huge edge is the fact they own all kinds of land, where their competitors are running out fast.

As long as it stays that way, Disney has them beat, and always will.

Jimmy Thick-All that land makes Walt look like the genuis he was...

Pioneer Hall

Valid points, but until Universal and Sea World offer a complete 5-10 day vacation destination, they will and continue to get trumped by Disney. People are visiting Universal and Sea World, they are staying at Disney, this is where Disney has them beat to a pulp, and like you stated, thats where they make their money. What gives Disney the huge edge is the fact they own all kinds of land, where their competitors are running out fast.

As long as it stays that way, Disney has them beat, and always will.

Jimmy Thick-All that land makes Walt look like the genuis he was...

But, the point I am trying to make is that these places don't have to offer 5-10 vacation offerings in order to severely damage the mouse. Even just cutting 2-3 days off your usual WDW vacation can have severe financial ramifications to the mouse. Wait to see what ticket prices would become should that be the case as well. Once the company gets used to a certain consistent profit level, there is no turning back. So if Disney is used to you spending X dollars over 7 days, then they will still try to get that level from 5 days. That will mean more expense on the side of the consumer or just less money in their pocket. So, if Disney really wants to keep the profit margins they have they need to out innovate the competition like they have always been known to do.

devoy1701

I think what he/she was trying to say is that there isn't enough to do at AK to be there all day and not visit another park as well. But that's assuming AK is the second park you visit that day.

A train connecting one land split between two parks sounds so dumb to me. Ever notice how WDW has to "react" to Uni's every move? What are we rival gangs LOL :D? I do think, however, that Avatar might need to be pushed up a wee bit on the time table now.

I think it's genius. Now both of their Orlando parks are going to be able to benefit from the hottest franchise of the past 15 years. If one gate was able to see a 20% increase in attendance and you now have to visit both parks to get the entire Harry Potter Experience, i think it's going to be beneficial to both parks. Not to mention while it costs quite a bit to go to one park for one day, the added expense of visiting 2 parks is small in relation. And not only does it let the guest experience the full HP offerings, it also lets them experience a dozen other attractions in Universal Studios that they might have opted not to experience because they were only going to Universal to experience the park that had the HP attractions in it.

Uni is undertaking a potentially gamechanging formula here.

jakeman

I think it's genious. Now both of their Orlando parks are going to be able to benefit from the hottest franchise of the past 15 years. If one gate was able to see a 20% increase in attendance and you now have to visit both parks to get the entire Harry Potter Experience, i think it's going to be beneficial to both parks. Not to mention while it costs quite a bit to go to one park for one day, the added expense of visiting 2 parks is small in relation. And not only does it let the guest experience the full HP offerings, it also lets them experience a dozen other attractions in Universal Studios that they might have opted not to experience because they were only going to Universal to experience the park that had the HP attractions in it.

The added experience is basically a 50% increase in the ticket price to get one complete land. That's not "small in relation". A one park ticket at Uni is $85. Two parks one day is $120.

It may be great for the Uni coffers, but the consumer is getting screwed royally.

njDizFan

I think it's genious. Now both of their Orlando parks are going to be able to benefit from the hottest franchise of the past 15 years. If one gate was able to see a 20% increase in attendance and you now have to visit both parks to get the entire Harry Potter Experience, i think it's going to be beneficial to both parks. Not to mention while it costs quite a bit to go to one park for one day, the added expense of visiting 2 parks is small in relation. And not only does it let the guest experience the full HP offerings, it also lets them experience a dozen other attractions in Universal Studios that they might have opted not to experience because they were only going to Universal to experience the park that had the HP attractions in it.

Have to agree with you there Devoy. This will ensure that IoA will not canibalize attendance at Uni. And who knows how they will structure the hopper option, it is currently like a $35 upgrade, if this doesn't change that is a nice little bump in revenue. And for just $50 more than that you have unlimited 14 day pass.

Edit: point being maybe some people will decide to pony up the extra $50 to skip Disney, since they have to pay to see both parks anyway.

IHeartArt

The added experience is basically a 50% increase in the ticket price to get one complete land. That's not "small in relation". A one park ticket at Uni is $85. Two parks one day is $120.

It may be great for the Uni coffers, but the consumer is getting screwed royally.

Still less than a park hopper pass at Disney. Just saying.

devoy1701

Have to agree with you there Devoy. This will ensure that IoA will not canibalize attendance at Uni. And who knows how they will structure the hopper option, it is currently like a $35 upgrade, if this doesn't change that is a nice little bump in revenue. And for just $50 more than that you have unlimited 14 day pass.

Edit: point being maybe some people will decide to pony up the extra $50 to skip Disney, since they have to pay to see both parks anyway.

I think moreso it would lead people to spend a night on property and do a 2-day park hopper pass versus just adding the parkhopper option to a one day ticket.

Either way, it's not just adding $50 to experience the rest of Potter, it's adding $50 to get the complete Potter experience AND a whole second theme park that the consumer didn't plan on going to before.

And as Dan mentioned, I think it's going to cause people to drop a day at WDW and add a day at Uni.

jakeman

Still less than a park hopper pass at Disney. Just saying.
I'm also just say that Disney doesn't charge you $35 to go from Splash Mountain to Thunder Mountain.

Again, this is great for Universal, but the consumer is getting screwed.

If this is successful, which it probably will be, this is bad news for the consumer.

jakeman

I think moreso it would lead people to spend a night on property and do a 2-day park hopper pass versus just adding the parkhopper option to a one day ticket.

Either way, it's not just adding $50 to experience the rest of Potter, it's adding $50 to get the complete Potter experience AND a whole second theme park that the consumer didn't plan on going to before.

And as Dan mentioned, I think it's going to cause people to drop a day at WDW and add a day at Uni.
How would you feel if Disney separated Avatarland between Epcot and DAK?

DonaldDoleWhip

How would you feel if Disney separated Avatarland between Epcot and DAK?
Okay then...Star Wars.
Or worse...Finding Nemo or Toy Story :lookaroun

Disney already has movies with illogical presences in more than one WDW park. At least the proposal for Universal makes sense and has a unifying force (Hogwarts Express)...wow I never thought I'd be defending Universal over Disney.

Kirk88

Bottom line to all if it is that Disney has proven the staying power of their key attractions/characters/movies/etc. Disney is still cashing in off of Mickey and the gang, not to mention the Princesses. Universal is cashing in on what's hot now. Will Potter have the staying power? Guess we'll find out in 20 years. 20 years from now I'll be watching Disney movies with my grandkids not Harry Potter. We'll continue to spend out money with WDW. Universal really doesn't offer anything that interests my 7, 3, & 2 year olds anyhow.

novawildcat18

Is it possible that Universal will just change their entire pricing scheme? What if they eliminated the single park ticket and made every ticket a park hopper and raised the price $5-$10 a ticket? I can't imagine too many people being incredibly angry about that.

njDizFan

I'm also just say that Disney doesn't charge you $35 to go from Splash Mountain to Thunder Mountain.

If this is successful, which it probably will be, this is bad news for the consumer.
They are taking a page out of the Disney books on this one plus adding a twist. If you want to see everything at WDW you have to stay mutilple days and presumably get a park hopper. The same will happen at Uni/IoA, if you want to see all of Potter you will have to pay. They twist here is that if all rumors are correct is the train from one land to another. As Eddie Sotto was saying on his thread, how cool would it be if you got to take a themed train from one property to the next. Imagine going from DAK to DHS via train, transitioning thematically with changing smart screens as windows...I would love it.

GLaDOS

Okay then...Star Wars.

Fine by me.

Or worse...Finding Nemo or Toy Story :lookaroun

Or Little Mermaid.

Is it possible that Universal will just change their entire pricing scheme? What if they eliminated the single park ticket and made every ticket a park hopper and raised the price $5-$10 a ticket? I can't imagine too many people being incredibly angry about that.

I think this will be the case. Raise the price by a bit and eliminate one day-one park tickets.

Pioneer Hall

Bottom line to all if it is that Disney has proven the staying power of their key attractions/characters/movies/etc. Disney is still cashing in off of Mickey and the gang, not to mention the Princesses. Universal is cashing in on what's hot now. Will Potter have the staying power? Guess we'll find out in 20 years. 20 years from now I'll be watching Disney movies with my grandkids not Harry Potter. We'll continue to spend out money with WDW. Universal really doesn't offer anything that interests my 7, 3, & 2 year olds anyhow.

But there is a whole generation that grew up with Harry Potter and they will probably share those stories with their kids and eventual grandkids as well. Disney characters will always be popular, but I think that Potter does have enormous staying power as well. Its initial audience of young readers (my age group who pretty much grew up with it) will soon be having kids of our own.

PhilharMagician

But, the point I am trying to make is that these places don't have to offer 5-10 vacation offerings in order to severely damage the mouse. Even just cutting 2-3 days off your usual WDW vacation can have severe financial ramifications to the mouse. Wait to see what ticket prices would become should that be the case as well. Once the company gets used to a certain consistent profit level, there is no turning back. So if Disney is used to you spending X dollars over 7 days, then they will still try to get that level from 5 days. That will mean more expense on the side of the consumer or just less money in their pocket. So, if Disney really wants to keep the profit margins they have they need to out innovate the competition like they have always been known to do.

Absolutely and think that IOA had +34% growth in 2010 with Potterverse only open for 6 months. That 34% had to come from somewhere. It could have been people skipping a day at Seaworld or it could have been part or the 1.5% loss @ the MK in 2010. No matter what, dollars shifted towards Universal since Harry Potter came to town.

whylightbulb

I don't agree at all. What difference does it make what the theme is? Universal is adding a major new attraction to the Studio park and if anyone wants to see it they have to pay park admission regardless of whether it's Potter, Mummy or MIB.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom