Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

DonaldDoleWhip

Besides the one Avatar movie, what is there? I doubt it will gain that much popularity by the time this gets completed. Is it a world people really care to bother getting immersed in?
Avatar made more money than any other film by a huge margin, and the main thing people loved about it were its special effects and visuals. That'll lend itself really well to a theme park land, IMO.

I think Pandora is a good investment (I haven't seen the movie, but I actually have confidence in this). What I'm worried about are the other parks. It sounds like MK's Fantasyland expansion is meant to bring back capacity that was there previously, but not necessarily increase attendance dramatically. Plus, with Epcot and DHS getting staler (even though they each have some awesome attractions, theming, and entertainment), it makes a longer trip to Uni and a shorter trip to WDW more compelling (considering that time and budget are valid constraints for many tourists).

So if the Walt Disney Company decides to sharply cut investment in its parks and resorts division, I simply don't see how they can retain the market share they want in Orlando. Plus, they'll continue to watch Uni sell wands and butterbeer while Avatar doesn't seem to have a corresponding merchandise commodity (maybe they'll pursue a blue theme by recoloring existing Disney characters - Pandora Mickey, Pandora Duffy, Pandora Yeti, etc).

wdwfan4ver

I think the concept of linking the two lands in two separate parks is intriguing. It sounds like a smart business move for UNI. As far as how Disney reacts to this... I think IF they choose to respond they must do so across all four parks.

We could consider Avatarland and FLE the answers for those parks, but they need something equally large in scale for Epcot and HWS.

Why is that necessary? If Disney leaves one of the parks out in the cold, then THAT park will become the one dropped by families lured into Universal. The only park that I think is truly immune to that phenomenon is MK, and the FLE is already happening.

Disney really doesn't need something on an Equally large scale for Epcot like Avatarland is for AK. I know Epcot doesn't have a lot of thrill rides, but the truth is you really limited for that for Epcot. For doing a thrill ride in Future World, you have to fit the theme of the Pavilion for doing one like Mission: Space is or Body Wars for Wonders of Life.

There really new rides in existing countries at World showcase based on space. Matter of fact, I don't think Italy has the space for doing a ride anymore.

What it really needs is to change the imagination Pavilion and do updates to Universe of Energy. Disney is matter of fact during a refurbishment for Test Track later next year. A change of Imagination Pavillon isn't going to be the same scale as Avatarland, but it would be a good upgrade depending on how that attractions are.

Disney really isn't leaving Epcot out in the cold anyway. Test Track is going a refurbishment sometime starting in Summer or Fall of 2012 that lasts 6 months with changes.

novawildcat18

Disney really doesn't need something on an Equally large scale for Epcot like Avatarland is for AK. I know Epcot doesn't have a lot of thrill rides, but the truth is you really limited for that for Epcot. For doing a thrill ride in Future World, you have to fit the theme of the Pavilion for doing one like Mission: Space is or Body Wars for Wonders of Life.

There really new rides in existing countries at World showcase based on space. Matter of fact, I don't think Italy has the space for doing a ride anymore.

What it really needs is to change the imagination Pavilion and do updates to Universe of Energy. Disney is matter of fact during a refurbishment for Test Track later next year. A change of Imagination Pavillon isn't going to be the same scale as Avatarland, but it would be a good upgrade depending on how that attractions are.

Disney really isn't leaving Epcot out in the cold anyway. Test Track is going a refurbishment sometime starting in Summer or Fall of 2012 that lasts 6 months with changes.

In my personal opinion, a re-do of an already extremely popular ride (Test Track) doesn't cut it for me. Yeah, it will potentially make the ride better, but it's one out of maybe four rides that I consider riding when I'm in Epcot. That's not enough. My opinion, anyway.

wdwfan4ver

Harry Potter Expansion is going to impact DHS the worst out of the 4 Disney Parks. I think Disney might forced to give DHS the DCA treatment sometime past 2020. When Avatarland is done, it should be around 2017 and DHS is going to be not great shape to put it mildly. DHS really isn't great for family friendly rides. DHS has wasted space in Sounds Dangerous and Studio Backlot Tour. DHS is considered a half day park by a good amount of people. When the Potter Expansion is completed, DHS is the park mostly that a person is willing to give up going for a 2nd day at Universal. AK in 2014 could be the other option, but it would be more unlikely after Avatarland is completed.

Epcot isn't going to be impacted hard. Disney has been taking care of Epcot to a degree by what they are doing to World Showcase in terms of refurbishments or changes that they did since 2009 there. Test Track is going to a get a long refurbishment later this year. The real concern with Epcot is improving the Imagination Pavilion, updating Universe of Energy, and doing a refurbishment for Soarin'.

Captain Neo

Also, there are reports that major shareholders have recently made demands that Disney stop the trend of new expenditures (especially in the parks), which would make the days on one-upping each other dead before it's really had a chance to begin. I would speculate that this may be one of the major reasons Iger decided to step down.

where is this coming from?

Ignohippo

Original Poster
where is this coming from?

Well, here's a quote from the article referenced a few pages back, but I know I had read it even before they backed out of the DC project. I will hopefully be able to find those references tomorrow.

"At the same time, Disney executives have pledged to investors to reduce capital spending once the company completes a current slate of projects that includes the Hawaiian resort, two new cruise ships and park expansions around the world. Capital spending at Disney's theme park division nearly doubled during the company's 2011 fiscal year — from $1.5 billion to $2.7 billion — and is expected to approach $3__billion in 2012."

jt04

So it seems telling that Uni is not playing this up as a major expansion. Only that they will be expanding on the offerings. I have always thought the idea that they would expand potter all the way to where Jaws is a bit suspect but it is an interesting possibility.

It seems to me to be more likely they will expand the current land modestly and place Transformers where Jaws is now.

Just like with Legoland, Disney has likely known Universal would be adding to both IoA and the Studios parks for a while now. And just as the FLE appears to be Imagineered to 'compete' with Legoland, it seems obvious Avatarland was a case of Disney getting ahead of the new offerings from Uni.

But that does not mean Disney is done announcing how they will respond to Universal and all the other additions coming to central Florida. The competition may just be getting started. :)

zooey

We recently returned from a trip to WDW and were surprised at the number of people who stated that WWOHP was their primary reason for visiting Orlando. What we found interesting was that they added a few days to their trip to visit WDW. In other words, WWOHP actually helped increase WDW attendance since these people might not have visited Orlando without WWOHP.

Even with WWOHP, UF is still no more than a 3-day trip. Most people seem to get their fill after 2 days. Assuming that people want to vacation for a week, I suspect most will fill out the week with days at WDW. Overall, I'd guess that WWOHP might be slightly increasing WDW attendance.

Anything big in Orlando helps out the entire area, no matter who builds it. Even Seaworld is expanding its offerings, and Legoland just opened (little far away, but still grabbing the same tourists). Disney doesn't care (the business side, anyway) about Potter eclipsing them in ride technology or anything like that, it only comes down to Universal stealing a day or two from them in their tourists, and stopping said tourists from staying in Disney hotels for those 1 or 2 nights.

zooey

So it seems telling that Uni is not playing this up as a major expansion. Only that they will be expanding on the offerings. I have always thought the idea that they would expand potter all the way to where Jaws is a bit suspect but it is an interesting possibility.

It seems to me to be more likely they will expand the current land modestly and place Transformers where Jaws is now.

Just like with Legoland, Disney has likely known Universal would be adding to both IoA and the Studios parks for a while now. And just as the FLE appears to be Imagineered to 'compete' with Legoland, it seems obvious Avatarland was a case of Disney getting ahead of the new offerings from Uni.

But that does not mean Disney is done announcing how they will respond to Universal and all the other additions coming to central Florida. The competition may just be getting started. :)

I'm pretty sure Disney feels like they've already announced the competition with Avatarland. Which means they have no idea what to do.

SMS55

I really don't think Disney has much to worry about right now. As others have stated, Disney is the reason they come to Centrla Florida and it will stay that way. Most of my friends during their 20's were going to Universal, now that they have kids that stopped. It's exclusively Disney for most of them. They know their kids aren't going to enjoy Universal much. Outside of Sues Landings, what does Universal have? Not a whole lot. Even outside of Magic Kingdom, the other Disney parks have things for kids to do. When you think Orlando, you think families. It's why so many come here. Disney has made Centrla Florida a family destination and they don't have to try as hard as we want them to in order to maintain that.
Disney doesn't have to respond specifically to Potterworld. The Fantasyland expansion should be sufficient enough at this time. There is also something else that we don't know. Does Potter have staying power? Potter is very popular right now with younger generations. I'm in my early 30's. Potter never really appealed to me. My oldest is 15 and it certainly has some, and I emphasize "some" appeal to him. My 9 year has never been curious about it and I don't know if my newborn will even care when she is old enough to. Disney movies and many attractions are timeless. They've shown that they can survive the test of time. I was born well after Snow White and Cinderella, Dumbo, Peter Pan but they were classics and most were part of my collection as a kid. Little girls grow up wanting to be a Disney Princess. Going back to my 15 year old. He was 1 when the Lion King came out if i recall correctly, and he went go see it recently and loved it. Something about the Disney movies appeals to people. When Toy Story 3 came out he went go see it even though he is at the stage where teens don't want to watch cartoons. He said he had to watch it because it was "Toy Story", he grew up with it. There was something about it that made it impotant to him. He doesn't have the same fascination with Potter. Only time will tell how well Potterworld does and if it can compete with Disney long term.

jt04

I really don't think Disney has much to worry about right now. As others have stated, Disney is the reason they come to Centrla Florida and it will stay that way. Most of my friends during their 20's were going to Universal, now that they have kids that stopped. It's exclusively Disney for most of them. They know their kids aren't going to enjoy Universal much. Outside of Sues Landings, what does Universal have? Not a whole lot. Even outside of Magic Kingdom, the other Disney parks have things for kids to do. When you think Orlando, you think families. It's why so many come here. Disney has made Centrla Florida a family destination and they don't have to try as hard as we want them to in order to maintain that.
Disney doesn't have to respond specifically to Potterworld. The Fantasyland expansion should be sufficient enough at this time. There is also something else that we don't know. Does Potter have staying power? Potter is very popular right now with younger generations. I'm in my early 30's. Potter never really appealed to me. My oldest is 15 and it certainly has some, and I emphasize "some" appeal to him. My 9 year has never been curious about it and I don't know if my newborn will even care when she is old enough to. Disney movies and many attractions are timeless. They've shown that they can survive the test of time. I was born well after Snow White and Cinderella, Dumbo, Peter Pan but they were classics and most were part of my collection as a kid. Little girls grow up wanting to be a Disney Princess. Going back to my 15 year old. He was 1 when the Lion King came out if i recall correctly, and he went go see it recently and loved it. Something about the Disney movies appeals to people. When Toy Story 3 came out he went go see it even though he is at the stage where teens don't want to watch cartoons. He said he had to watch it because it was "Toy Story", he grew up with it. There was something about it that made it impotant to him. He doesn't have the same fascination with Potter. Only time will tell how well Potterworld does and if it can compete with Disney long term.

I wouldn't call it "Potterworld". More like Potterland. Just the fact that the Potter area is so small will keep it from being any serious threat to Disney. They can only cram a limited number of guests in there at any point in time. So while Universal is treating guests like sardines, Disney is spreading out their theme parks with the FLE and Avatar. Both will increase their respective parks' guest areas substantially. Universal has issues with space WDW will never need to fret.

FLORIDA_PHIL

i for one am well disappointed as WWOHP is not that great bit boring really :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

whylightbulb

This is a MAJOR expansion and Transformers is not going into Amity.

I hope you're right but unfortunately it doesn't look like you are. From what I've seen recently Disney is once again shelving most of their WDW expansion plans. Things could change but considering all the investment in every other park lately it looks like WDW will be getting screwed again.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
"At the same time, Disney executives have pledged to investors to reduce capital spending once the company completes a current slate of projects that includes the Hawaiian resort, two new cruise ships and park expansions around the world. Capital spending at Disney's theme park division nearly doubled during the company's 2011 fiscal year — from $1.5 billion to $2.7 billion — and is expected to approach $3__billion in 2012."

Here is my understanding from reading the reports posted on line. Even with the high spending this year, disney paid two times the expected amount per share this year. Worry is not current level of spending ($1.5 billion to $2.7 billion) but the spike in 2012 over $3 billion. I looks like Disney plans on spending at the 2011 level and not see major increases in that spending level. Still a lot of this can be down at the 2011 capital spending levels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom