Union asks Disney to increase worker pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannab@dis

Disneyland1970 said:
Please do not preach your made up ideals of what your brother in law, sisters, GF, dodge magnum mechanic told you of how a union works. ( Queue the banjo!) You are so for off you are not even wrong!

Thanks, my next visit I will complain about Timekeeper. Can't wait to see it again:brick:

TAC was made a post that had none of the sarcasm or rudeness of your post... if you can't be part of the debate in a civil manner... please don't contribute.

Disneyland1970 said:
Oh yea...at $6.50 an hour you can't afford a Happy Meal,let alone a Labor Attorney . Now your union has a lawyer free of charge for use......
Let's do a little math... earlier you said your dues were $400/yr. A CM in this thread said their dues were $8/wk... or $416/yr. Interesting that you make more than 3 times what they do, yet your dues are the same... that's real equality.

Now, 50,000 employees. $400/yr in dues.... that's a WHOPPING $21 MILLION in dues. That's one high dollar free attorney. ;)

So, what exactly does that $21 MILLION get the $7/hr worker? Oh yeah... a statement in the local paper saying that Disney should increase the starting wages a few cents on the hour... oh, and that free attorney. :rolleyes:

speck76

Original Poster
Disneyland1970 said:
I agree., I think the guy running Dumbo should be pre- law Harvard. And the churro cart... hmmmmm YALE? Yes Ivy league at less than $7 an hour!

C'mon at 18 and 19 they are just trying to keep above water. Trying to make some money and figure out life and work somewhere fun. A raise is trying to improve themselves.

I think you are just mad you didn't get a raise when you worked for Disney:lol:

I never worked for Disney.....I had the opportunity to do the CP a few times, but stayed in school instead....I also had a chance when I moved to Orlando, but chose a more difficult job that had a future...instead of a fun job where I could get drunk and screw half of Adventureland....

Now...that I make a good paycheck, I can get drunk, screw half of Adventureland, and then give them a little something for their troubles :lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
speck76 said:
I never worked for Disney.....I had the opportunity to do the CP a few times, but stayed in school instead....I also had a chance when I moved to Orlando, but chose a more difficult job that had a future...instead of a fun job where I could get drunk and screw half of Adventureland....

Now...that I make a good paycheck, I can get drunk, screw half of Adventureland, and then give them a little something for their troubles :lol:
:lookaroun :lol: :lookaroun

:lol:

Iakona

You know, I have read this entire thread and i have to say neither extreme on this argument is correct.

I speak from the point of view if having been in a union and now I am in management dealing with the union.

Unions still have a purpose and a role. There are times when employees deserve and need the protection a union can provide. There is strength and protection in numbers that no individual employee would ever be able to approach against a deep wallet company.

The problem is that unions are stuck in the early 20th century mindset. Too many times they are obstacles to what the business needs to survive, grow and prosper. They not only protect those that deserve it, but contrary to what an earlier poster wrote they go to the mat for bad employees just as much.

Of course, most companies would rather not have to deal with a union and those companies that have that luxury AND treat their employees well can have an advantage.

Jheyman

:brick: Point by point here we go, also I appoligize for getting back to these so late but I worked for a living today something most union workers do very hard each and every day.:)

wannab@dis said:
Interestingly enough, your post basically backed up what I was saying.

Only becuase you, as the typical management type, decided to twist what I said so in your view, you sound like you did the right thing and all you could. This type of additude and eveything you are saying so far is what is wrong with the system. Not unions, not workers asking for a better wage but the them vs us mentality that kills the ideals. Search online, many places are going to objective based negoiations in which each side brings objectives to the table not proposals and works on how to bring those objects together in a contract. Something I think you would never consider becuase "UNIONS ARE BAD" :brick:

wannab@dis said:
Unions are not needed and cause more problems than they can attempt to help in TODAY'S job market. Who provides the check and balances fopr the unions? Why should everyone receive a blanket raise?

I didn't say everyone should get a blanket raise I said everyone should stay in line with the market out there. As far as a check and balance there is due process that must be followed and management would be the check agianst the unions.
wannab@dis said:
Also, why is it the job of the union to get "starting salary in line with the market"? That sounds like the union wants to run the company now. Did I really just say that?

I never said it was the JOB of the union to get the starting salary in line with martket. I said it was the job of the unions to keep things fair for the employees. The union does not want to run the company the union wants to protect the rights of workers. Agian unions were started becuase big biz. at the time were not caring about the rights of workers at the time as humans basically a lot of poor working conditions and low wages lead to the labor movement. Human nature says left to its own accord most (and im not saying you or all or even TWDC) but most large companies would easily fall back to not caring about the little man and sooner or later you will end up with a similar movement call it unions or what have you but IMHO it would happen all over agian.

wannab@dis said:
Let the market control the wages. If WDW should increase the wages and doesn't, the job market will cause it to react. That shouldn't be up to some union that just reset their contract last year. Why didn't they make this an issue then if it was such a big deal?

I agree that this sounds like poor planning on the unions end and it should probally wait for a contract negoitation. However belive it or not some union leaders DO TRY to do what is in the best interest of thier members and the employer a lot of what is wrong with the view of unions is the management vs union additude. I have succesfully worked WITH management on many occasions to rectify situations if managment and the union are willing to give it a try this works, but it is a two way street something tells me someone like you would never travel down.

wannab@dis said:
Of course it will happen now or later.

See, that's the kind of statement that Union leaders make to prove that they understand things. Seems a lot like a Jim Hill statement.

See now that is just wrong :p , and I appericate you taking that quote out of context I really do.

Jheyman

Aprilnjosh said:
I stand by what I believe...UNIONS CAUSE PROBLEMS..

Just ask any executive of any company. Unions exist just to make more money for themselves.

First of all we don't make any money how can we? Unions don't exist without the members they serve. There are some non-reconigized orginizations though set up as profit corps. that claim to be unions that do so that is true on some respect. Please back up your argument a little more UNIONS DON'T CAUSE PROBLEMS CONFLICT CAUSES PROBLEMS, UNRESONABLE PEOPLE (on both sides) CAUSE PROBLEMS. :brick: :brick:

Jheyman

Aprilnjosh said:
Specifically Eisner--no longer on the board if my memory serves me correctly. Disney is now regrouping. As a result, Disney's earnings soared 19%. Their theme parks were up only 7%. Until the parks show a vast improvement, raises across the board would be a moot point. A castmember is not going to work any harder if they get a .40 per hour raise. Neither will they be satisfied.

This is unfoudned. General research shows, and most knowladgable executives would agree, well taken care of employees (pay, benefits, time off etc..) are happy employees, happy employees are better employees. How many times have you or a coworker had a bad day? Now look at those days and compare the amount you got done I would say 80% of the time its less then a normal day. Now think about how that would work if you were unhappy all the time because of working conditions and compensation issues.

Jheyman

wannab@dis said:
Ok, you're upset that some salary increases for execs were not deserved, yet you support across the board raises for all the CMs at Disney. You do realize that a portion of those CMs do NOT deserve a raise... right?

You're not making any sense.

He isn't saying that Dis you really need to stop twisting what people say. What he is saying is you want merit based increases only, well lets see the merit in some of the exec's raises. Good point Justin_K!

TP2000

drew smith said:
What gets me is that Casting continue to says they don't have enough applicants for open postions and yet the pay they offer turns off alot of people. The situation out at Disneyland is even worse.

And the Disneyland hourly CM jobs are currently starting at $8.40 an hour. That's the lowest paid entry-level job at Disneyland right now, although certain departments like food service, outdoor vending, Guest Relations, lifegaurds, hotels, etc. start at higher wages from $9.00 to $10.75. Disneyland has radio and newspaper ads running like crazy outlining the starting wages.

What is worse is that Governor Schwarzenegger wants to raise the California minimum wage to $7.75 this year, which would put the Disneyland jobs at barely above minimum wage. :eek:

Jheyman

TiggerRPh said:
Name one industry that's unionized that's not messed in this country. Unions served their purpose years ago but no longer.

Look at two of the auto manufacturers in the US that are successful...Toyota America and Saturn...what do they have in common besides good consumer feedback on their cars...non-unionized. The workers are taken care of because the companies what happy employees and want to work with the employees to make good cars.

The union just makes any employee/employer relationship bad.

I don't think I have ever been so upset on these boards before. ITS NOT JUST THE UNIONS PEOPLE IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO!!! Where the unions are they are there for a reason generally speaking. Where the employer is good to thier employees there is no need to orginize workers agreed, however should a company take over another company and suddenly the treatement is different you will see workers orginized very quickly. In a place that has been unionized for some-time it is very hard to just yank them out. It will be a field day for management and that isn't right either. These are for the most part hard working people not corp. pawns on some game. These are people for gods sake like you and I. If there is anyone on this board who didnt get help from someone then speak now. I have a feeling I am arguing with a lot of people who have had one bad experince from a union or more likely no experince and now have this distorted sense of them. Please understand more unions then not are fair and resonable and just do not want things to get out of control for the everyday working person. There are issues around all things but just as many fall on the shoulders of management as they do on the shoulders of the unions. Lets not forget there wouldn't be unions if management didn't start these issues in the first place. Human nature agian I will say can be very nasty if left to its own devices.

Jheyman

wannab@dis said:
That's the problem... it's an adversarial process that doesn't consider the employee or company's best interest. Only the union.

Talking about ignorance...

The same could be said about management, and if you read a post above you will see there are ways around this.

Jheyman

wannab@dis said:
Unfortunately, what you are describing is the utopian union that doesn't exist. In most instances, the unions hold companies hostage with contracts, ignore problem workers and reward everyone the same even though some employees are much better than others.

Dis really how many different unions have you actually dealt with? It sounds like one with a really bad union leadership. It does exist and im many industries strikes are outlawed there is very little to hold hostage.

Also, I have seen a few posts about how many union employees hold jobs at the top of the food chain. I myslef have worked through the ranks to become quite high up in the orginization I work for. I am also a pround union member. Please do not assume all union workers clean toilets (though some do) I keep seeing that come up and this is an ignorant statement.

Thelazer

hakunamatata said:
So, you are selling your passes? Is that legal?
Please do not twist my words to imply things that are not true. I do not take highly to that.
hakunamatata said:
Well, since you work at a resort.....you will find resort prices. Just like if you went to any resort on the planet where you pay almost 50% more than you would off site.
yes and???
hakunamatata said:
Blah, blah, blah....
yea that about explains it doesn't it.

Jheyman

speck76 said:
It insults me that people that have done nothing to improve themselves, or are lazy and think the pinnacle of responsibility is loading people onto the Dumbo ride, think they should be able to, or are entitled to the luxuries others have worked hard for, and have taken on "real responsiblity" for.......

It insults me that they feel I should open my wallet and pay more at the gate so they can skate through life.....

You Know what....many people do try to better themselves. I myself have a simliar story as you do. Started out at 5.15 and hour and now at the age of 25 and a bachelor degree and many hours of having to prove myself as a younger employee, I am making more then most anyone I know at age 25.

You do not know what that CM who pushes the button on dumbo is doing, maybe they are trying to pay thier way through college or going to night school while raising a family. The fact of the matter is someone has to push the button to make dumbo run. Someone has to tell corny jokes on JC to make you laugh. Someone has to do these things and the guest of disney expect it to be done well. All I am saying is make sure these people are paid on par with the world out there. I am also a full supporter of merit increases as well as promotion from within where it can be applied. As I catch up on things here I am starting to see dis and speck seem to think all union workers are dumb and uneducated. Please understand unions are there to protect people not hand out a free lunch.

Jheyman

speck76 said:
EVERYBODY has the ability to improve their situation....

...and everyone needs a little help at times....

Unions have thier place and these front line CMs are no less important to disney then an upper level manager. Who would they manage? Who would push the button on dumbo? I am sorry I am starting to sound like a broken record but I cannot help it.

I really can't get over these folks who say they came from low paying jobs and do not remember where they came from. I work in the IT Industry now for a local governement. I make a very fair wage but it was my hard work that got me there. What did the union do, it made sure my hardwork was reconigized and rewarded where needed. That was my little help.

Disneyland1970

wannab@dis said:
TAC was made a post that had none of the sarcasm or rudeness of your post... if you can't be part of the debate in a civil manner... please don't contribute.

Let's do a little math... earlier you said your dues were $400/yr. A CM in this thread said their dues were $8/wk... or $416/yr. Interesting that you make more than 3 times what they do, yet your dues are the same... that's real equality.

Now, 50,000 employees. $400/yr in dues.... that's a WHOPPING $21 MILLION in dues. That's one high dollar free attorney. ;)

So, what exactly does that $21 MILLION get the $7/hr worker? Oh yeah... a statement in the local paper saying that Disney should increase the starting wages a few cents on the hour... oh, and that free attorney. :rolleyes:

Well there are different unions, and not everyone is a member of the same union, and you would know this if you researched the topic you are so much against.

Where did you get the 50,000 memeber number to justify your 21 million? Also union memebership is not a requirement of my employment, a choice I have made. I did not start at this salary, but my union dues were the same. How much Do attorneys cost where you live?? I'm willing to bet you could suck up that $400 in a couple of hours of legal representation.

I apologize to TAC if he was offended. May he roll many happy miles in his Black Dodge Magnum 4x4!! Which was probably built by non Union Mexican workers.... Which cost the same as ones built by Union workers so lets blame them for the high cost, not the money grubbing stock holders or mis-managed corporations. Hey maybe Disney can import them mexicans to be cm's. They could have a magical express bus pick them up in El Paso for WDW every morning . Hey what about Tijuana for DLR. Look at the bottom line they could have next year.....I guess this is where we agree to disagree.

Wow got sucked in again!!! Have a great day ALL!!!

VintageKid21

Time to put MY 2 cents in

After reading most of this thread there are some cast members out there who know the tough, demanding and rewarding jobs that we have. But we as cast members get no where, in pay, close to what we should be receiving. My first college program was in 2003, when hourly pay was only 6/hour. I went down there in a operations role and was working in the parking lot at the Studios. And I will tell you, as me being in this situation, there are some days when your attitude cannot be helped. When you are treated like crap by your managers, when you are ridiculed and walked upon by your coordinators and when you have filed a complaint with everyone that you possibly can and STILL nothing happens...you are kind of stuck in a job that you have to muddle through. By hour three on a hot blacktop even the most pateint person would start to get disturbed.
For those of you who have commented on the low performance of CP's...well, yes, I do know that there are some bad seeds out there and they are only there to party and have a good time. But as an alumni of two programs and as a Campus Rep I feel that the college aged students are old enough to know what Disney Standards were and they see what they are now and get frustrated, but we also are children of today's generation and we are not going to put up with the way that the guest's today treat cast members across the board. In today's world the guests that enter our parks think that they own the world, well not here, this is OUR world, and if you are going to disrespect the park or our co-workers we are going to be none too pleased.
I am sorry that so many of you disagree that cast members shouldn't have a higher rate of pay. I am not going to sit here and argue with you about how and why you are wrong and I am right. But we love our jobs and we love to provide the magic daily. But in today's society and they way that we are treated daily by guests and by the few ignorant cast members we deserve better compensation for our times.

And for those of you who see a cast member in a "not so great" mood, maybe you should take the time out of YOUR vacation to actually ask them what happened to get them into that mood, it may make you better explain why some of you think ALL of the cast members are rude and incondiderate.

GothMickey

I am getting into this again... Wannabe: Do you want pay increases so you can continue living comfortably?? Speck, what about you?? ANYONE on this board want their pay increased?? Who wouldn't want a raise??? So, you are all saying the CMs don't deserve a raise... Why not?? Because they are only pushing a button on Dumbo???? Well, if that CM wasn't pushing that button, then you wouldn't be riding.. heck, if all 50,000 CMs walked out right now, you wouldn't be able to enjoy Disney World.... So, sit back and think that these CMs have to deal with ignorant fools every day... They are college kids working their way through school.. They are moms and dads trying to put food on the table for their children...

You say anyone can better themselves?? Ok sure... Try finding a decent paying job in Orlando... not many if any at all exist... You advocate moving maybe to another state?? You do realize that it isn't easy to pick up and relocate like that... And well, it does take MONEY to move... Something I am sure most CMs do not have a lot of at 7 bucks an hour...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom