Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

gmajew

Premium Member
Blah blah blah. Walt adapted books and stories into animated films and live action. He didn't buy up properties that had already been developed and commercially exploited out the wazoo. Where's the artistry and innovation in that? He once said, "We don't follow trends, we create them." I think the reality here is that there are people who have absolutely no idea what once set the Walt Disney Company apart, and don't get the difference between Disney parks and Six Flags and Worlds of Fun and don't care as long as the rides go fast.

So tell me, what if Disney bought Hasbro and put the My Little Ponies into Fantasyland? Or hey, how about Veggie Tales? Or Barney the Frickin Purple Dinosaur? Or Pokemon or GoBots or Rainbow Brite or Voltron? One fully-developed/exploited IP is just like another, so why not? Why not crap up the parks with ALL of that dated non-Disney junk you grew up with?

People who gotta have their icons of arrested adolescent fantasy in a theme park can GO TO UNIVERSAL. As for me, I'm quite happy that WDW will be largely Marvel-free in the foreseeable future. It may have its issues, but at least we won't have the Incredible Hulk stinking up the place.

I hate to say this but I think you take things to the extreme here. Business are suppose to look for ways to expand there business and with what the economy was and the deals that were out their disney did just that. It was a calculated risk to buy good cash flow companies and make them bigger. Dont hate them for that.... At the same time I hope they create new IP going forward and I think they will Frozen was an example not my cup of tea but they created new IP.

Captain Chaos

The people who disagree with me created the so-called fetish I don't have with Oswald. They're projecting, I suppose. :D The fact is, Oswald is a merchandising money-maker AND has an undeniable history with the Disney company, so your contention that nobody cares is pretty much pure BS. The more guys like you try to attack me with Oswald, the more foolish YOU look. I don't have a "fetish", and the attempts to attack me with him merely amuse me. So why do you bother?

Look, if some people still have an affection for Marvel heroes, fine, whatever. And if you want to fantasize that somehow WDW will someday have Marvel rides, hey, go right ahead, but it won't happen. And many people besides myself thank the Powers That Be for that. It's the Walt Disney Company, not the Stan Lee company (good thing too, because under his leadership, Marvel went bankrupt). You'll just have to deal.
It is a merchandising money maker? Where? I don't seem to recall seeing him in the top 20 money making IPs... Where does he rank in terms of sales in the Disney company? Princesses, Pooh, Mickey, Frozen, Cars, Toy Story... Oswald is never mentioned nor does he belong in the conversation with those money makers... Only a handful of Disney fans even give a rats behind about him... The general public couldn't care less...

Who would sell more merchandise, Star Wars or Oswald? I think, no I know Star Wars... The Muppets may even make more money than Oswald... He is merely a footnote in history, and people overlook even that footnote...

And we have been through this over and over again with Marvel in WDW... We KNOW it isn't coming to WDW since it can't... Well, at least not the characters everyone knows and cares about...

You just need to get over the fact Disney has purchased IPs, money making IPs at that, and as a company hellbent on making profits, plan to exploit MONEY MAKING IP... If Oswald was such a money maker, where is the Oswald meet and greet, ride, and tons of merchandising opportunities? He is simply not cared about and known enough to matter... And, sadly, or not, that applies to many of the IPs Disney currently owns outright... Most are just footnotes in the long history of the company, not cared about by the general public...

mahnamahna101

It is a merchandising money maker? Where? I don't seem to recall seeing him in the top 20 money making IPs... Where does he rank in terms of sales in the Disney company? Princesses, Pooh, Mickey, Frozen, Cars, Toy Story... Oswald is never mentioned nor does he belong in the conversation with those money makers... Only a handful of Disney fans even give a rats behind about him... The general public couldn't care less...

Who would sell more merchandise, Star Wars or Oswald? I think, no I know Star Wars... The Muppets may even make more money than Oswald... He is merely a footnote in history, and people overlook even that footnote...

And we have been through this over and over again with Marvel in WDW... We KNOW it isn't coming to WDW since it can't... Well, at least not the characters everyone knows and cares about...

You just need to get over the fact Disney has purchased IPs, money making IPs at that, and as a company hellbent on making profits, plan to exploit MONEY MAKING IP... If Oswald was such a money maker, where is the Oswald meet and greet, ride, and tons of merchandising opportunities? He is simply not cared about and known enough to matter... And, sadly, or not, that applies to many of the IPs Disney currently owns outright... Most are just footnotes in the long history of the company, not cared about by the general public...
The Muppets ARE bigger money makers, without even taking Sesame Street into account ;)

I'd reckon Oswald isn't even top 20 of just Disney brands in terms of Disney brands

lebeau

man-of-steel-costume.jpg

Fancy tights is what those are

I prefer this.

Captain Chaos

The Muppets ARE bigger money makers, without even taking Sesame Street into account ;)

I'd reckon Oswald isn't even top 20 of just Disney brands in terms of Disney brands
What I find funny is how much Magenta's life seems to depend on whether the Muppets succeed or fail, how Oswald is received by people, and if Marvel ever is put into a WDW theme park...

I think we would be talking him/her down from a bridge if Disney ever wound up retaining the theme park rights from Universal and announced a Marvel expansion in DHS... Without Marvel everyone's lives are just fine... With Marvel, some lives may just become destroyed... Doesn't seem healthy to me.. :)

mahnamahna101

What I find funny is how much Magenta's life seems to depend on whether the Muppets succeed or fail, how Oswald is received by people, and if Marvel ever is put into a WDW theme park...

I think we would be talking him/her down from a bridge if Disney ever wound up retaining the theme park rights from Universal and announced a Marvel expansion in DHS... Without Marvel everyone's lives are just fine... With Marvel, some lives may just become destroyed... Doesn't seem healthy to me.. :)
Yeah, Muppets, Marvel and Oswald should be the least of TDO's worries. Either way, Oswald not being a merchandise machine doesn't mean he's a bad character. He seems pretty likable to me. And if the Muppets got a whole mini-land, no telling what they'd do.. ;)

Mr Toad

GoBots are the Walmarted version of Transformers, so they kind of fit don't they? LOL.

And yes, bring on Voltron, as long as they do the IP right by making a fantastic attraction. Disney OR Universal. Don't care. Just do it!!!!

What do you call yourself? You know, we can say you are one of those people who have some sort or arrested development adolescent fantasy as well, with your unhealthy fetish or obsession with Oswald, who no one knows or cares about (other than you). Hell, we can say that about ALL adults/people who go to WDW cause we all grew up on Disney characters, and going to WDW gives adults a way to, you know, revert back to childhood, seeing their "arrested development adolescent fantasy icons" known as Disney characters.

The more you rant on about this subject, the more foolish you look. You do realize that, don't ya?
Back off the GoBots and Voltron!!!! Volton would be so cool in MK...both the 5 lions and the dozens of little ships!!!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Wow... What?!?
It's EAST of the Mississippi, but NOT on the East Coast...
So... here's my base assumption: Disney found a park that DOESN'T fall under Uni's contract and is renting out their characters.

Whatever the full story is, it is a fascinating development.

lazyboy97o

Wow... What?!?
It's EAST of the Mississippi, but NOT on the East Coast...
So... here's my base assumption: Disney found a park that DOESN'T fall under Uni's contract and is renting out their characters.

Whatever the full story is, it is a fascinating development.
Why would East Coast be a factor?
More than likely this is not sanctioned by Marvel or Universal.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Why would East Coast be a factor?
More than likely this is not sanctioned by Marvel or Universal.
Some sources say that the Mississippi is where the rights to the characters switches from Uni's to Disney's.
But I don't know if a park of their caliber would put the superhero equivalent of party princesses out for a meet and greet. Also, it's for only four hours on ONE DAY. They're not paying for new costumes for that short of time.

Magenta Panther

I'm not pretending Oswald is as big a merchandising moneymaker as Star Wars. But he does sell merchandise. What's your beef with him anyway?

mahnamahna101

I'm not pretending Oswald is as big a merchandising moneymaker as Star Wars. But he does sell merchandise. What's your beef with him anyway?
What's your beef with the Muppets? ;)And I've never seen a piece of Oswald merch at Walmart, the mall or even WDW... certainly can't sell as much as you think. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of Kermit/Piggy/Fozzie/Animal/Beaker stuff, not to mention Sesame Street.

No one ever said Oswald was a bad character - just that he isn't a huge merch machine. I'd rank all of these above Oswald in terms of merch sales

1. Disney Princesses
  2. Star Wars
  3. Marvel
  4. Winnie the Pooh
  5. Mickey and Friends
  6. Cars
  7. Disney Fairies
  8. Toy Story
  9. The Muppets
  10. Pirates of the Caribbean
  11. Disney Classics
  12. Nightmare Before Christmas
  13. Kingdom Hearts
  14. TRON
  15. Phineas and Ferb
  16. Finding Nemo
  17. Monsters, Inc
  18. Duffy Bear
  19. Indiana Jones
  20. Mighty Ducks:D
  21. Potentially Oswald
I just can't see him being a moneymaker in the way you portray him

Matt_Black

Yeah. Now, Oswald was a big part of the Epic Mickey games, and the first one was very well received, so I'll give him that. Other than that tough, he's not made big ripples in the pop culture landscape. Granted, part of that is Disney's fault for not doing a whole heck of a lot with him. Give him an alternate design and throw him a guest spot on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom