Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

NormC

Disney paying Universal to give up the rights is what people mean when they say Disney would buy the theme park rights.
Yes, I know that. Seems like a few people here do not though. Just clarifying. Disney owns the rights to Marvel including the characters used by UNI. UNI licenses those characters from Marvel/Disney to use in their Orlando Park. UNI pays for that license. The license gives UNI regional exclusivity. Disney gets their money. UNI does not have any rights to those characters other than Orlando theme park use. Why do people think Disney would give up that income just to put some Marvel in WDW? Marvel is not needed in WDW. There is plenty of other IP for Disney to use in WDW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, I know that. Seems like a few people here do not though. Just clarifying. Disney owns the rights to Marvel including the characters used by UNI. UNI licenses those characters from Marvel/Disney to use in their Orlando Park. UNI pays for that license. The license gives UNI regional exclusivity. Disney gets their money. UNI does not have any rights to those characters other than Orlando theme park use. Why do people think Disney would give up that income just to put some Marvel in WDW? Marvel is not needed in WDW. There is plenty of other IP for Disney to use in WDW.

It amazes me that people would even want Disney to do this. They would have to shell out a considerable amount of money to get Uni to give up the rights, then after spending all that, spend even more to build the attraction. I would rather see the money they would spend on buying out the contract, used to actually build attractions for some other IP.

NormC

It amazes me that people would even want Disney to do this. They would have to shell out a considerable amount of money to get Uni to give up the rights, then after spending all that, spend even more to build the attraction. I would rather see the money they would spend on buying out the contract, used to actually build attractions for some other IP.
I agree!!

BryceM

Especially when it consists of losing The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man in Islands of Adventure. But I guess it would be worth it to get a new Spider-Man meet & greet in Animation Courtyard!!!

Last edited:

DC0703

Plus, Disney has not made any move to implement the Marvel characters into the parks where they do have the rights. I can't imagine they'd go out of their way to buy the rights for Orlando.

Matt_Black

Plus, Disney has not made any move to implement the Marvel characters into the parks where they do have the rights. I can't imagine they'd go out of their way to buy the rights for Orlando.

Well, maybe they're waiting for the right moment. The characters they do have the rights to are likely not household names. They might be waiting for a big movie (like a summer sci-fi blockbuster or a holiday animated feature) to see how the public reacts before committing to anything.

mahnamahna101

Well, maybe they're waiting for the right moment. The characters they do have the rights to are likely not household names. They might be waiting for a big movie (like a summer sci-fi blockbuster or a holiday animated feature) to see how the public reacts before committing to anything.
Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6... those two are probably the best chance we've got at getting Marvel attractions in the parks or even getting something new in Tomorrowland (picturing TDO execs now: "Hey, everyone! We added Marvel AND fixed Tomorrowland!!! Aren't we just great?" :rolleyes:)

flynnibus

Premium Member

They are in Disneyland.. and an attraction is already under construction in HKDL. The Disney Magic had one of it's kid areas all rethemed to Marvel.

wdwfan4ver

Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6... those two are probably the best chance we've got at getting Marvel attractions in the parks or even getting something new in Tomorrowland (picturing TDO execs now: "Hey, everyone! We added Marvel AND fixed Tomorrowland!!! Aren't we just great?" :rolleyes:)
I don't about that. TDO Execs are capable of putting Guardians of the Galaxay and Big Hero 6 into Future World instead Tomorrowland since Frozen Overlay is still being planned for Maelstrom:banghead:.

mahnamahna101

I don't about that. TDO Execs are capable of putting Guardians of the Galaxay and Big Hero 6 into Future World instead Tomorrowland since Frozen Overlay is still being planned for Maelstrom:banghead:.
I could see Big Hero 6 in Future World due to the kid-friendly aspect. But Guardians of the Galaxy honestly would be better in Tomorrowland. It's a space opera... I don't even think TDO would want a quirky IP going into Epcot :D although neither coming to WDW at all seems likely

mahnamahna101

You missed the thread about the GotG preview right smack in the middle of DHS, huh?
If showing an extended preview of a feature film counts as an attraction, I guess that's the sad state of WDW these days ;)

GotG should replace Stitch, while BH6 takes over Laugh Floor. While that might not sit well with the "Tomorrowland should have ZERO characters" crowd, the area has become sci-fi at this point. And those two would bring some freshness to TL

Matt_Black

If showing an extended preview of a feature film counts as an attraction, I guess that's the sad state of WDW these days ;)

Well, let's wait until we know if the movie is successful or not before going that far. After all, if Disney had made a big Lone Ranger attraction, they'd look kind of silly unless the attraction itself was EXCELLENT.

Cesar R M

GotG should replace Stitch, while BH6 takes over Laugh Floor. While that might not sit well with the "Tomorrowland should have ZERO characters" crowd, the area has become sci-fi at this point. And those two would bring some freshness to TL
"Rocket Raccoon's great Escape" ?

Magenta Panther

People who want more Marvel in Disney parks are fundamentally unable to really enjoy Disney parks IMO. It's bad enough seeing Marvel crap in the gift shops. If someone needs a men-in-tights-beating-up-other-men-in-tights fix, they can just go down the street to Universal or frickin Six Flags! :banghead:

Matt_Black

People who want more Marvel in Disney parks are fundamentally unable to really enjoy Disney parks IMO

I disagree. I think of Marvel and Disney like chocolate and peanut butter- two great tastes that taste great together!

Disney%27s+Avengers.jpg

Californian Elitist

People who want more Marvel in Disney parks are fundamentally unable to really enjoy Disney parks IMO. It's bad enough seeing Marvel crap in the gift shops. If someone needs a men-in-tights-beating-up-other-men-in-tights fix, they can just go down the street to Universal or frickin Six Flags! :banghead:

Here we go, AGAIN. It's never going to end, is it? Your constant complaining of everything that isn't Disney...there's no end in sight, is there?

alissafalco

Not true

Meet Spider-Man
image.jpg

Ready to meet your destiny?

Newsflash! You needn't scale skyscrapers to meet the amazing Spider-Man, as he'll be dropping in on Disneyland® Paris from April until July 14 2014. So be quick and you could be snapped beside Spidey at Walt Disney Studios® Park, before appearing on the front-page of the 'Daily Bugle'. All while Peter Parker stars on big screens across the country in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Capture your moment with this web-fingered crime-fighter - he won't hang about forever!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom