Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

Matt_Black

I'm just gonna go ahead and throw this up here.

disney-marvel-crossover-550x838.png

mahnamahna101

People who want more Marvel in Disney parks are fundamentally unable to really enjoy Disney parks IMO. It's bad enough seeing Marvel crap in the gift shops. If someone needs a men-in-tights-beating-up-other-men-in-tights fix, they can just go down the street to Universal or frickin Six Flags! :banghead:
....you do know most of the Marvel films don't feature tights these days right? Clearly you're ignorant about modern superheroes because aside from Superman and Spider-Man, none of them wear tights

Marvel does fit with Disney if you think about the adventure/discovery aspect. About as much as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Aerosmith and Twilight Zone do...and yes. Even those puppet fetish inducing Muppets ;)

Kman101

Plus, Disney has not made any move to implement the Marvel characters into the parks where they do have the rights. I can't imagine they'd go out of their way to buy the rights for Orlando.

I guess you didn't see they have Spider-Man meeting at Walt Disney Studios Paris while Captain America and Thor meet in Innoventions at Disneyland in Anaheim. Not to mention the Iron Man exhibit they have as well as the Marvel overlay one of the kids areas on one of the Disney cruise line ships received.

rioriz

I guess you didn't see they have Spider-Man meeting at Walt Disney Studios Paris while Captain America and Thor meet in Innoventions at Disneyland in Anaheim. Not to mention the Iron Man exhibit they have as well as the Marvel overlay one of the kids areas on one of the Disney cruise line ships received.
Not too mention the biggest one. .. Iron Man Ride in HKDL

Fractal514

People who want more Marvel in Disney parks are fundamentally unable to really enjoy Disney parks IMO. It's bad enough seeing Marvel crap in the gift shops. If someone needs a men-in-tights-beating-up-other-men-in-tights fix, they can just go down the street to Universal or frickin Six Flags! :banghead:

Ya know, Walt was finding ways to incorporate the good ideas that others had as far back as his Alice cartoons. The Disney company has long made use of other established properties and executed them with a Disney level of quality. I think the reality here is that people who have such a hard time seeing how Marvel COULD fit are fundamentally unable to see beyond their own personal idea of what the parks should or should not be.

Magenta Panther

Ya know, Walt was finding ways to incorporate the good ideas that others had as far back as his Alice cartoons. The Disney company has long made use of other established properties and executed them with a Disney level of quality. I think the reality here is that people who have such a hard time seeing how Marvel COULD fit are fundamentally unable to see beyond their own personal idea of what the parks should or should not be.

Blah blah blah. Walt adapted books and stories into animated films and live action. He didn't buy up properties that had already been developed and commercially exploited out the wazoo. Where's the artistry and innovation in that? He once said, "We don't follow trends, we create them." I think the reality here is that there are people who have absolutely no idea what once set the Walt Disney Company apart, and don't get the difference between Disney parks and Six Flags and Worlds of Fun and don't care as long as the rides go fast.

So tell me, what if Disney bought Hasbro and put the My Little Ponies into Fantasyland? Or hey, how about Veggie Tales? Or Barney the Frickin Purple Dinosaur? Or Pokemon or GoBots or Rainbow Brite or Voltron? One fully-developed/exploited IP is just like another, so why not? Why not crap up the parks with ALL of that dated non-Disney junk you grew up with?

People who gotta have their icons of arrested adolescent fantasy in a theme park can GO TO UNIVERSAL. As for me, I'm quite happy that WDW will be largely Marvel-free in the foreseeable future. It may have its issues, but at least we won't have the Incredible Hulk stinking up the place.

Magenta Panther

....you do know most of the Marvel films don't feature tights these days right? Clearly you're ignorant about modern superheroes because aside from Superman and Spider-Man, none of them wear tights

Marvel does fit with Disney if you think about the adventure/discovery aspect. About as much as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Aerosmith and Twilight Zone do...and yes. Even those puppet fetish inducing Muppets ;)

The Marvel characters were not created/adapted/developed by Disney, so they don't fit in with the traditional Disney aesthetic. They're just acquisitions, purchased by the same cement-headed CEO who wanted to sell Disneyland to foreigners. And of course I know not all of the Marvel superheroes wear tights. Some of them wear armor and the Hulk wears hobo pants. Woo hoo. Forgive me for not focusing on superhero attire.

We've been having a conversation on another thread about what a messed-up grab bag DHS is because it has so many off-brand IPs in it. I personally think it would be great if TDO jettisoned Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Aerosmith and just made the Tower a haunted hotel (it'd still be a great ride), the RocknRoller coaster just a rollercoaster set to rock music and put in more rides and attractions based on Disney movies. What the heck, throwing out the junk and bringing in more actual Disney rejuvenated DCA. Maybe the same intelligent approach could help DHS. ;)

Captain Chaos

GoBots or Voltron?

GoBots are the Walmarted version of Transformers, so they kind of fit don't they? LOL.

And yes, bring on Voltron, as long as they do the IP right by making a fantastic attraction. Disney OR Universal. Don't care. Just do it!!!!

What do you call yourself? You know, we can say you are one of those people who have some sort or arrested development adolescent fantasy as well, with your unhealthy fetish or obsession with Oswald, who no one knows or cares about (other than you). Hell, we can say that about ALL adults/people who go to WDW cause we all grew up on Disney characters, and going to WDW gives adults a way to, you know, revert back to childhood, seeing their "arrested development adolescent fantasy icons" known as Disney characters.

The more you rant on about this subject, the more foolish you look. You do realize that, don't ya?

Magenta Panther

GoBots are the Walmarted version of Transformers, so they kind of fit don't they? LOL.

And yes, bring on Voltron, as long as they do the IP right by making a fantastic attraction. Disney OR Universal. Don't care. Just do it!!!!

What do you call yourself? You know, we can say you are one of those people who have some sort or arrested development adolescent fantasy as well, with your unhealthy fetish or obsession with Oswald, who no one knows or cares about (other than you). Hell, we can say that about ALL adults/people who go to WDW cause we all grew up on Disney characters, and going to WDW gives adults a way to, you know, revert back to childhood, seeing their "arrested development adolescent fantasy icons" known as Disney characters.

The more you rant on about this subject, the more foolish you look. You do realize that, don't ya?

The people who disagree with me created the so-called fetish I don't have with Oswald. They're projecting, I suppose. :D The fact is, Oswald is a merchandising money-maker AND has an undeniable history with the Disney company, so your contention that nobody cares is pretty much pure BS. The more guys like you try to attack me with Oswald, the more foolish YOU look. I don't have a "fetish", and the attempts to attack me with him merely amuse me. So why do you bother?

Look, if some people still have an affection for Marvel heroes, fine, whatever. And if you want to fantasize that somehow WDW will someday have Marvel rides, hey, go right ahead, but it won't happen. And many people besides myself thank the Powers That Be for that. It's the Walt Disney Company, not the Stan Lee company (good thing too, because under his leadership, Marvel went bankrupt). You'll just have to deal.

mahnamahna101

Blah blah blah. Walt adapted books and stories into animated films and live action. He didn't buy up properties that had already been developed and commercially exploited out the wazoo. Where's the artistry and innovation in that? He once said, "We don't follow trends, we create them." I think the reality here is that there are people who have absolutely no idea what once set the Walt Disney Company apart, and don't get the difference between Disney parks and Six Flags and Worlds of Fun and don't care as long as the rides go fast.

So tell me, what if Disney bought Hasbro and put the My Little Ponies into Fantasyland? Or hey, how about Veggie Tales? Or Barney the Frickin Purple Dinosaur? Or Pokemon or GoBots or Rainbow Brite or Voltron? One fully-developed/exploited IP is just like another, so why not? Why not crap up the parks with ALL of that dated non-Disney junk you grew up with?

People who gotta have their icons of arrested adolescent fantasy in a theme park can GO TO UNIVERSAL. As for me, I'm quite happy that WDW will be largely Marvel-free in the foreseeable future. It may have its issues, but at least we won't have the Incredible Hulk stinking up the place.

...you have some issues if you think Star Wars and Marvel are adolescent fantasies. They've captured the imaginations of young boys for the last 40 years or more.

And Disney gives us "Sky High" when they attempt superheroes.

Considering most of Disney's attempts at sci-fi suck balls, Marvel and Star Wars are brilliant properties to pick up - both evoke the same sense of adventure that the Disney classics do. And unlike Oswald, the majority of people actually know who Spider Man and Yoda are.

Again, the IPs aren't DHS's problems - it's the mediocre attraction lineup and lack of cohesive areas.

Marvel and Star Wars are as timeless as Pooh and Mickey. I'd argue Nintendo, Potter, Dr. Seuss and LOTR as well. You're clueless if you think Marvel and Star Wars are "dated".

GoBots and Voltron aren't even equal to Transformers, let alone Marvel/Star Wars. Don't even know why you brought them up.

My Little Pony would go to Universal since Hasbro has a good relationship with Uni. And the new TV series has potentially as much guy appeal as the current Disney princess market (plenty of Bronies and that only keeps going up). But again, ponies aren't connected to Avengers or Jedis.

VeggieTales and Barney are 90s preschool shows so I have no idea what they even have to do with Star Wars and Marvel.

I get not wanting Avatar, but Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the Muppets, Studio Ghibli, Pixar, and Marvel shouldn't be portrayed as terrible Six Flags worthy brand names. Indiana Jones Adventure was the last truly amazing "Disney level" E ticket added to the USA until RSR. Soarin' is overrated, and Everest has dat disco yeti. Mystic Manor is in Hong Kong while Journey to the Center of the Earth is in Japan.

Pokemon is definitely higher tier than all of the other IPs you mentioned (equal with Transformers in terms of theme park potential)... don't know why you brought it up. Especially when that series has so many iconic landmarks throughout all 6 generations. Pikachu is definitely one of the ten most recognizable cartoon characters IMO (show people a picture of Pikachu or Mewtwo and a solid amount will know what series. Oswald more than likely would get a collective "....?" response)

Disney does fairy tales/storybooks well... aside from Wreck it Ralph and Lilo & Stitch, they haven't been too successful leaving that niche critically or commercially. Sci-fi and action are two areas where Disney sorely lacks (both TRONs arent what id call classic in any stretch of the imagination) It's a smart business move to buy the two brands with the largest appeal to boys/guys - and will further solidify their dominance with families.

mahnamahna101

The Marvel characters were not created/adapted/developed by Disney, so they don't fit in with the traditional Disney aesthetic. They're just acquisitions, purchased by the same cement-headed CEO who wanted to sell Disneyland to foreigners. And of course I know not all of the Marvel superheroes wear tights. Some of them wear armor and the Hulk wears hobo pants. Woo hoo. Forgive me for not focusing on superhero attire.

We've been having a conversation on another thread about what a messed-up grab bag DHS is because it has so many off-brand IPs in it. I personally think it would be great if TDO jettisoned Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Aerosmith and just made the Tower a haunted hotel (it'd still be a great ride), the RocknRoller coaster just a rollercoaster set to rock music and put in more rides and attractions based on Disney movies. What the heck, throwing out the junk and bringing in more actual Disney rejuvenated DCA. Maybe the same intelligent approach could help DHS. ;)
...but putting more random movies in would make more of a hodge podge. And you brought up tights to begin with - so I pointed out only a few of them out of Marvel and DC (Flash maybe.. Aqua man wears a wet suit if anything) wear tights these days.

Almost none of the villains wear tights - in the superhero movies at least. Early comic books sure, but not recently

And jettisoning 3 IPs that give the resort some guy appeal might not be bright. And what rock music would replace Aerosmith, exactly? Jonas Brothers? Who? I don't want generic music.. part of the fun of RnRC is the songs.

Star Wars isn't going anywhere... no reason to "dream" about it's removal anywhere but Imagineering forum. It finally gives Disney a wide appeal sci-fi brand - no reason for its removal

Like it or not, Marvel and Star Wars are Disney's. And using both of them in the parks is genius. Gets teens, guys, and girls who dont really like princesses who might assume WDW is centered on little kids (with a strong focus on little girls as of late) . Star Wars Land would easily equal Potter's hype if executed properly. So yeah, it's not going away

Magenta Panther

...you have some issues if you think Star Wars and Marvel are adolescent fantasies. They've captured the imaginations of young boys for the last 40 years or more.

And Disney gives us "Sky High" when they attempt superheroes.

Considering most of Disney's attempts at sci-fi suck balls, Marvel and Star Wars are brilliant properties to pick up - both evoke the same sense of adventure that the Disney classics do. And unlike Oswald, the majority of people actually know who Spider Man and Yoda are.

Again, the IPs aren't DHS's problems - it's the mediocre attraction lineup and lack of cohesive areas.

Marvel and Star Wars are as timeless as Pooh and Mickey. I'd argue Nintendo, Potter, Dr. Seuss and LOTR as well. You're clueless if you think Marvel and Star Wars are "dated".

GoBots and Voltron aren't even equal to Transformers, let alone Marvel/Star Wars. Don't even know why you brought them up.

My Little Pony would go to Universal since Hasbro has a good relationship with Uni. And the new TV series has potentially as much guy appeal as the current Disney princess market (plenty of Bronies and that only keeps going up). But again, ponies aren't connected to Avengers or Jedis.

VeggieTales and Barney are 90s preschool shows so I have no idea what they even have to do with Star Wars and Marvel.

I get not wanting Avatar, but Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the Muppets, Studio Ghibli, Pixar, and Marvel shouldn't be portrayed as terrible Six Flags worthy brand names. Indiana Jones Adventure was the last truly amazing "Disney level" E ticket added to the USA until RSR. Soarin' is overrated, and Everest has dat disco yeti. Mystic Manor is in Hong Kong while Journey to the Center of the Earth is in Japan.

Pokemon is definitely higher tier than all of the other IPs you mentioned (equal with Transformers in terms of theme park potential)... don't know why you brought it up. Especially when that series has so many iconic landmarks throughout all 6 generations. Pikachu is definitely one of the ten most recognizable cartoon characters IMO (show people a picture of Pikachu or Mewtwo and a solid amount will know what series. Oswald more than likely would get a collective "....?" response)

Disney does fairy tales/storybooks well... aside from Wreck it Ralph and Lilo & Stitch, they haven't been too successful leaving that niche critically or commercially. Sci-fi and action are two areas where Disney sorely lacks (both TRONs arent what id call classic in any stretch of the imagination) It's a smart business move to buy the two brands with the largest appeal to boys/guys - and will further solidify their dominance with families.

I think you're splitting hairs via what is and isn't comparable. We're talking merchandising, baby! (At least, that's all Iger seems to care about). If an IP makes money via plastic toys, then it's pretty much all the same to him. I just think that Disney fans should know better. *shrug*

mahnamahna101

I think you're splitting hairs via what is and isn't comparable. We're talking merchandising, baby! (At least, that's all Iger seems to care about). If an IP makes money via plastic toys, then it's pretty much all the same to him. I just think that Disney fans should know better. *shrug*
Do you seriously want to compare GoBots and Veggietales to Marvel and Star Wars? ...not even a contest as far as merchandising goes

Magenta Panther

...but putting more random movies in would make more of a hodge podge. And you brought up tights to begin with - so I pointed out only a few of them out of Marvel and DC (Flash maybe.. Aqua man wears a wet suit if anything) wear tights these days.

Almost none of the villains wear tights - in the superhero movies at least. Early comic books sure, but not recently

And jettisoning 3 IPs that give the resort some guy appeal might not be bright. And what rock music would replace Aerosmith, exactly? Jonas Brothers? Who? I don't want generic music.. part of the fun of RnRC is the songs.

Star Wars isn't going anywhere... no reason to "dream" about it's removal anywhere but Imagineering forum. It finally gives Disney a wide appeal sci-fi brand - no reason for its removal

Like it or not, Marvel and Star Wars are Disney's. And using both of them in the parks is genius. Gets teens, guys, and girls who dont really like princesses who might assume WDW is centered on little kids (with a strong focus on little girls as of late) . Star Wars Land would easily equal Potter's hype if executed properly. So yeah, it's not going away

I'm not kidding myself that Star Wars is going away. Although...WDW1974 contends that there's a certain amount of foot-dragging going on within Disney about putting more SW into the parks because of fears that it won't have enough appeal to both genders. I think that's a bit of a silly thing to worry about at this point. I thought that was the main reason Disney bought it, as you mentioned yourself. Anyway, since DHS IS a hodge-podge of mostly off-brand IPs, more SW probably isn't going to hurt it. Whether or not a SW could truly challenge Potter remains to be seen. I'm very interested to see how well the new SW movies do. There's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to film franchises anymore. Although, I'm certainly not rooting against the new SW films. Generally speaking, I don't root against any Disney-backed film. And I'm def interested in seeing Ford and Fisher and Hamill together again. I hope it all works out.

But I'm also glad that Marvel is going to be extremely limited in WDW. That's one thing WDW has over Disneyland, as far as I'm concerned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom