Unfortunately had to cancel reservation

Vipex23

I've been to Disney World twice in the last 3 years .. I was there in 2008 and stayed at the Caribbean Beach for 10 days with the Dining Plan and I was there again last September 2010 and stayed at the Polynesian for 11 days/10 nights with deluxe dining, 10 days of park tickets park hopper and water fun-and more. My wife and I wanted to go again this September because we think it's the best time to go because of lower crowd levels and it's considered the value season .. When we called to book the Contemporary for 10 days, deluxe dining, 6 days of park tickets, no park hopper and water fun and more, the price is over $1400 more than last year .. The price last time was around $5200 and this time it's near the $7000 mark .. The price difference is incredible considering we were getting less perks this time like no park hopper and less days of park tickets. I'm 29 and live in NYC and have been to WDW 10 times in my life and was very sad to cancel my reservation but for Disney to increase the price over $1000 within 1 year is outrageous.

IndyDisney

I've been to Disney World twice in the last 3 years .. I was there in 2008 and stayed at the Caribbean Beach for 10 days with the Dining Plan and I was there again last September 2010 and stayed at the Polynesian for 11 days/10 nights with deluxe dining, 10 days of park tickets park hopper and water fun-and more. My wife and I wanted to go again this September because we think it's the best time to go because of lower crowd levels and it's considered the value season .. When we called to book the Contemporary for 10 days, deluxe dining, 6 days of park tickets, no park hopper and water fun and more, the price is over $1400 more than last year .. The price last time was around $5200 and this time it's near the $7000 mark .. The price difference is incredible considering we were getting less perks this time like no park hopper and less days of park tickets. I'm 29 and live in NYC and have been to WDW 10 times in my life and was very sad to cancel my reservation but for Disney to increase the price over $1000 within 1 year is outrageous.

What buzz said. Consider a mod resort and you can easily cut a couple grand off your total. Or even switching to AKL/WL you could save a little cash and still have a deluxe resort.

Just my $.02, but if it's $1400 that's stopping me from going to WDW, I'd rather make some cuts than cancel the trip as a whole.

Cheers,
Indy

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

Sorry you had to cancel but I agree with the prior posters. Since you already stayed a Mod you know what they are like, why not switch to save a bit of money? We're actually considering that option to take a cruise in addition to doing the parks. Doing a Deluxe Disney vacation and Disney cruise is sooooo expensive. French Quarter looks so nice and it's so much cheaper than any of the deluxes!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

In previous years did you use a discount then price this year without a discount? The discount releases are very different this year than previous years. Perhaps check back to see what the cost would be if/when discounts are released. :wave:

Upvote 0

Vipex23

Original Poster
Last year and in 2008 they did offer the free dining plan in September, which we took advantage of .. It has not been announced this year to my knowledge.. I wonder if there are any plans on offering that again?

Upvote 0

nolatron

Last year and in 2008 they did offer the free dining plan in September, which we took advantage of .. It has not been announced this year to my knowledge.. I wonder if there are any plans on offering that again?

There's your cost increase. The Deluxe Dining Plan is $78.99/person per night for 2011. For your 10 day package at the Contemporary that dining plan is going to cost you $1,579.80.

Maybe consider the standard dining plan which is only 45.99/person per night, totaling $919.80. That's a $660 savings right there.

You also could try what the wife and I do and pick where you want to eat each day for each meal. Then look at the menus online and price your meals and see what your total food budget is. Then you can see what's cheaper, paying cash or the dining plan. We've never used the dining plan ourselves. It's always more money for too much food for us.

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Just out of curiosity I went on the Disney website and got this for $5500
- Contemporary
-dining plan
-park tickets for two

Was there anything different that you are getting above and beyond?

Remember park tickets beyond 4 days are only about $5 a day more

Package Offer

Disney's Contemporary Resort

Check InSeptember 11, 2011Check OutSeptember 20, 2011Staying for9 nights, 10 days
Adults2Children0
Room Type:Garden Wing - Garden ViewTickets8-Day Magic Your Way Base TicketPackageMagic Your Way Package Plus Deluxe DiningPackage includes
2011 Package Inclusions

Flight Transportation
This offer does not include flight transportation.
Ground Transportation
This offer does not include ground transportation.

Price Summary
Total$5,527.20InsuranceDeclinedGrand Total (includes tax)$5,527.20Deposit (USD)$200.0

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

I'm not real picky about the resort I stay in. Aside from the All Stars which do not appeal to me, I'll stay in just about any Disney resort as long as it's CLEAN.

Upvote 0

Dangeresque

Just out of curiosity I went on the Disney website and got this for $5500
- Contemporary
-dining plan
-park tickets for two

Was there anything different that you are getting above and beyond?

Remember park tickets beyond 4 days are only about $5 a day more

Package Offer

Check InSeptember 11, 2011Check OutSeptember 20, 2011Staying for9 nights, 10 days
Adults2Children0
Room Type:Garden Wing - Garden ViewTickets8-Day Magic Your Way Base TicketPackageMagic Your Way Package Plus Deluxe DiningPackage includes
2011 Package Inclusions

Flight Transportation
This offer does not include flight transportation.
Ground Transportation
This offer does not include ground transportation.

Price Summary
Total$5,527.20InsuranceDeclinedGrand Total (includes tax)$5,527.20Deposit (USD)$200.0

When you do it on the web you get to see what you are paying for. Over the phone they probably quote you the highest priced preferred rooms.

Upvote 0

nolatron

Room Type:Garden Wing - Garden ViewTickets

Switching to a tower room will bump that $5500 up $700-$1100.

Package Offer

Check In: September 11, 2011
Check Out: September 20, 2011
Staying for: 9 nights, 10 days

Adults: 2
Children: 0

Room Type: Tower - Theme Park View
Tickets: 6-Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket
Package: Magic Your Way Package Plus Deluxe Dining

Total: $6,670.18
Deposit (USD): $200.0

----------------------------------------------------------------

Switching to the standard dining plan drops it down to
Total: $6,076.18
Deposit (USD): $200.0

Upvote 0

Vipex23

Original Poster
The reason we got the deluxe dining and want to stay at the Contemporary is because most of the restaurants we eat at are in the resorts on the monorail line (California Grill, Narcoossee's, Kona Cafe, Chef Mickeys) .. we stayed at Polynesian last time and having the monorail there was a pleasure

Upvote 0
We have been able to stay at Deluxe resorts many times, including several stays at the Poly (our favorite!!). But last year we had to cut some corners, and we stayed at the Coronado Springs Resort (I should say that I always loved the moderates, but as my kids grew having two double beds was too cramped for us--hence the move to Deluxe). Since CSR added queen size beds, it made sense to try it out...and we LOVED it! We saved about $1200 dollars, maybe more, and the resort was really special. Of course we missed the monorail, but the bus service was very good and when we just couldn't stand waiting for a bus we took cabs (this barely ate into the amount we saved...maybe $100 total for the trip). The pool and common areas feel like a deluxe and are even better than some. If I were you, I'd try it!

Upvote 0

Bri1121

We like the Poly and the Contemporary more for the location to MK because we have small kids. We are a little tight this year and got an amazing deal at the Dolphin. We have stayed there before and loved it so when a friend told us she got a great deal we checked it out and booked! My son will love the boats and we love the discount! Actually staying longer!

I would definitely figure out a way to save and still get there. I know we are saving a ton since our last visit and are staying longer!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

This was offered late last year and into the beginning of this year but has since been discontinued. I dont know of any plans to re-offer the Free Dining however I will absolutely tell you, getting any discount at the Contemporary is very difficult as it is now one of the smallest resorts on property (taking out BLT) I can appreciate the ease of having the monorail right there for you, but if it makes the difference between me going and not going to Disney, I would definitely select another resort. I would tell you to keep checking these boards, if any discounts are released one of the Kingdom Konsultant Team will be sure to post it. Keep in mind though that the discount offer may not apply to all resorts or room types. The more flexible you can be, the better your chances of being able to take advantage of a discount offer are. Hope this is helpful! Marie

Upvote 0

pax_65

The reason we got the deluxe dining and want to stay at the Contemporary is because most of the restaurants we eat at are in the resorts on the monorail line (California Grill, Narcoossee's, Kona Cafe, Chef Mickeys) .. we stayed at Polynesian last time and having the monorail there was a pleasure

Try the Wilderness Lodge. It should be a bit cheaper than the Contemporary, and you're still close to where you want to be. You just hop on the boat to the Contemporary or Magic Kingdom, jump on the monorail and you're good to go. I actually really enjoy the boat - sometimes you have to wait a few minutes but it's a very pleasurable, relaxing ride.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Try the Wilderness Lodge. It should be a bit cheaper than the Contemporary, and you're still close to where you want to be. You just hop on the boat to the Contemporary or Magic Kingdom, jump on the monorail and you're good to go. I actually really enjoy the boat - sometimes you have to wait a few minutes but it's a very pleasurable, relaxing ride.

Good luck!

THis is what I was going to say...Give the WL a try...its a step down price wise and your directly on the monorail but I really dont think you will be disapointed staying there. You are only a very nice boat ride away from everything you said you wanted. The WL has 2 very good on site places to eat. Way to many options to look at before just giving up on a vacation to Disney. Good luck and hope you at least think aboat the WL!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom