Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

Bpmorley

It's not really all that simple. They can, and maybe do, designate pick up times from WDW to MCO, but Disney cannot control air traffic delays, on times, weather and staff scheduling. That leaves people coming in to MCO at random non-controllable times. You can't have people waiting for three hours hoping some other people will be coming in view shortly. Not sure how it works now, if someone knows, please let me know because I am curious. It will still have a steady reliable departure from MCO to work. Just throwing out numbers having a bus leave every hour immediately replace by another that will leave in 60 minutes. It isn't as crucial coming from WDW to MCO but some consistency has to be there to get it dependable and not ulcer inducing for Guests. Seems like I remember reading someplace that going from WDW to MCO has about a three hour window with most of that wait ending up at the airport.
I think I've only used DME once in the last decade. But that once, there were about 5 people per line going to individual resorts. Combined there were maybe 2 busfulls. But all those people were getting on separate bases. 2 buses would have sufficed, albeit longer drive/drop-off times. Seems like there are non stop people coming to WDW thru MCO,so getting 3/4 of a bus most of the day wouldn't be an issue

PirateFrank

I'm not entirely certain things would escalate as you wrote. Universal is known to be edgier than Disney and could definitely spin things positively for their resort in this scenario. Disney would benefit more by being somewhat dismissive if anyone brought it up ("Well, when you're the top mouse...") versus escalation. With that said, I don't think Mears would play along with Universal wraps for Disney property and risk losing future business. Let the giant do its thing, and when it's ready to pay again, Mears can be ready to take the contract.

No, because it would never happen in the first place. If Universal paid Mears to drive Universal wrapped busses through WDW property, you can bet there would be a response.....likely legally at first. But if the legal remedy wasn't successful, you would most certainly see an escalation.

But like I said...I don't ever see it getting to that point, because I dont think either side wants to poke the other's bear.

drizgirl

No, because it would never happen in the first place. If Universal paid Mears to drive Universal wrapped busses through WDW property, you can bet there would be a response.....likely legally at first. But if the legal remedy wasn't successful, you would most certainly see an escalation.

But like I said...I don't ever see it getting to that point, because I dont think either side wants to poke the other's bear.
Why would it be illegal for Mears to make a deal with Universal?

Goofyernmost

It's simple. Even if Universal paid Mears to drive through WDW, why in the hell would Mears want to commit suicide. Two things WDW is private property if they put a no trespass on any buses advertising Universal they can't legally enter. But the biggest is how it would affect Mears. All of a sudden they would no longer be the largest transportation entity in the area. They would stand the chance of losing their biggest cash cow, the one that made them the biggest. It makes no sense at all, but they might be able to continue the process on their own with the blessing of Disney. If they establish a number of completely designated buses just for Universal, it really doesn't have much affect on Disney at all.

PirateFrank

I think you're confusing legal remedy with illegal. What I mean is that Disney lawyers would likely present universal with a cease and desist, much the same way universal lawyers presented disney with one when they wrapped a monorail with avengers.

drizgirl

I think you're confusing legal remedy with illegal. What I mean is that Disney lawyers would likely present universal with a cease and desist, much the same way universal lawyers presented disney with one when they wrapped a monorail with avengers.
You think Disney can forbid Mears from putting another company's advertising on their buses?

The Avengers thing is different since there are indeed legal reasons why Disney can't use Avengers in FL.

PirateFrank

But universal owned the avengers. Disney does not own Mears buses

Lets go back to the original situation. Mears contracts with universal to wrap its buses. Mears drives buses into WDW. WDW asks Mears to stop driving universal wrapped buses on wdw private property. WDW uses legal and/or contractual leverage to convince Mears to stop.

drizgirl

Lets go back to the original situation. Mears contracts with universal to wrap its buses. Mears drives buses into WDW. WDW asks Mears to stop driving universal wrapped buses on wdw private property. WDW uses legal and/or contractual leverage to convince Mears to stop.
Yes, please stop delivering customers to our doors.

PirateFrank

You think Disney can forbid Mears from putting another company's advertising on their buses?

The Avengers thing is different since there are indeed legal reasons why Disney can't use Avengers in FL.
No they cant, and they won't. However....if Mears drove universal labeled buses through WDW, you can bet WDW would exhaust every legal and contractual avenue to stop the practice.

I'm half bewildered I'm even explaining this. I thought most people understood this....

drizgirl

No they cant, and they won't. However....if Mears drove universal labeled buses through WDW, you can bet WDW would exhaust every legal and contractual avenue to stop the practice.

I'm half bewildered I'm even explaining this. I thought most people understood this....
People are just responding to the over the top suggestion that there is some way Disney can control the advertising on Mears buses. I actually can think of one way now that I think about it. They could buy the advertising themselves. Which they probably won't do because it will confuse people after they discontinued Magical Express.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how it plays out. We're thinking of a split trip next year. While I'll miss the free DME, maybe Mears will have a reasonably priced option for me to be delivered to one of the Universal Hotels upon our arrival at MCO.

PirateFrank

People are just responding to the over the top suggestion that there is some way Disney can control the advertising on Mears buses. I actually can think of one way now that I think about it. They could buy the advertising themselves. Which they probably won't do because it will confuse people after they discontinued Magical Express.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how it plays out. We're thinking of a split trip next year. While I'll miss the free DME, maybe Mears will have a reasonably priced option for me to be delivered to one of the Universal Hotels upon our arrival at MCO.

Im looking forward to it as well. without Disney controlling the branding of DME, Mears could have a product that delivers people to all area resorts, not just wdw. Its an opportunity that, if well executed/priced, could expand Mears' business considerably.

regarding the universal wrapped buses - I've already said that I do not at all think universal would do this (wrap Mears buses used for wdw transfers with universal skins). But If either company chose to skin the buses, they would likely ask Mears to keep those buses running exclusive routes to their theme park. For the years that Mears ran DME, they did not use DME buses to drive people to universal. They used regular yellow Mears vehicles....So I think we're debating a scenario that really isn't going to happen.

Bpmorley

With DME gone, what legal or contractual avenue is there? Will there be a contract between Mears and DW?
Mears owns the buses, they can put whatever they want on them. Or whoever is paying for it. The only thing Disney could do is pay them to stop using those buses on property.

PirateFrank

With DME gone, what legal or contractual avenue is there? Will there be a contract between Mears and DW?
Mears owns the buses, they can put whatever they want on them. Or whoever is paying for it. The only thing Disney could do is pay them to stop using those buses on property.

Not true. You don't know whether Disney is negotiating a concession for Mears.
Also, disney is private property and exercises unparalleled control over their land. If they can trespass an individual for breaking wdw policy (not law) they can put the squeeze on Mears to not drive billboard advertisements for competitors through their land. it's not going to happen - and arguing against it is like arguing water isn't wet.

JoeCamel

I'm pretty sure DME is not the only contract Mears has with the mouse. No responsible company is going to burn a bridge they don't have to just to get in a dig, business don't work like that

tpac24

I actually see a distinct possibility that Harry Potter wrapped Mears buses will be pulling up in front of Disney resorts.

It would be a huge PR blunder to make it too difficult for Disney's guests to get to their resorts. Disney stopped providing the service, so they're going to have to settle for some other company having advertising on their buses.
Recently Disney has no problem with breaking from theming so why should Meers care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom