Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

cranbiz

Yes, the resort transportation was the first visible change of whatever new arrangement they've got going on. DME won't happen until EOY, maybe because of contract obligations. As for the why, it's surely about the money. Isn't it always? Also worth noting that Minnie Vans are no more. I believe the lease was over on those, and was strictly a Disney thing (no Mears involvement).
You do realize that the Swolphin contracted Disney Transport for it's guests prior to the switch, right? Disney just didn't provide Swolphin guests park transportation for free. Either Disney wanted more money for the service or Mears bid less for improve their cash flow in these lean times. Of course, this also caused the Swolphin guests to be relegated to the charter lot instead of Disney bus areas.

This change was back last year (Sept/Oct time frame), it has absolutely nothing to do with DME.

BoarderPhreak

You do realize that the Swolphin contracted Disney Transport for it's guests prior to the switch, right? Disney just didn't provide Swolphin guests park transportation for free. Either Disney wanted more money for the service or Mears bid less for improve their cash flow in these lean times. Of course, this also caused the Swolphin guests to be relegated to the charter lot instead of Disney bus areas.

This change was back last year (Sept/Oct time frame), it has absolutely nothing to do with DME.
Of course I know that, and have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin countless times over the years. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss any connection. It certainly appears a bit tit-for-tat.

Goofyernmost

It bugs me.
This company became the best because they were great (maybe even the best) at putting us (the guest) first. In the past, they always seemed to consider ways to improve our experience’s.
Today, they have switched to focusing on ways to cut costs in order to make more money- at the expense of guest experience. I get it- it’s a business- but it used to be a business focused on us...
Wake up, Disney, remember what got you here!
Welcome to the 21st century. Money is all that matters.

Goofyernmost

They have them at the parks, I don't know why they aren't at resorts already.
Because people would plug in their cars and stay for a week without moving them. In the meantime those that are using their cars are only staying a short while at the parks and be opening up charging stations constantly. If Disney gets them to move the cars to the parks during the day, others can use the charging areas and they will also cut down a little on the need for buses.

bjlc57

I'm not really going to debate you because fundamentally I don't disagree with you. They are doing this because they can get away with it. They have decided that degrading their product, if not the desired outcome, is certainly not an outcome to be feared because the cost savings are worth the potential decreased demand as demand was too high.

Bob Chapek and current Disney leaderships simply DOES NOT CARE about giving you the best experience possible. Their only focus is on the numbers -- what mathematical combination gives Disney the best profitability. Obviously DME is expensive, so then the question someone of that mindset will ask is whether it's worth it. Here, from Disney's calculus, cutting the costs of DME is a no brainer. The only reason to pay the expense of DME, from current Disney management's POV, is if it's a necessary expense to maintain demand. They have decided that if the diminished experience of no longer having DME results in some people no longer going to Disney, not only is that NOT a problem, from their POV, it's actually bonus side effect because it helps solve another problem they have -- too much demand.

Whether long term that's a good financial decision, I'm confident current leadership doesn't care. They never cared about the product anyway.
this is what scares me about Disney.. is that Disney "sells dreams" 'but people in charge are all Bean counters.. and all the dreamers have been eliminated.. .including Joe Rhode.. the last true dreamer..

Lilofan

this is what scares me about Disney.. is that Disney "sells dreams" 'but people in charge are all Bean counters.. and all the dreamers have been eliminated.. .including Joe Rhode.. the last true dreamer..
Rohde is now in another dream job, as an exec for Virgin Galactic , which plans to take guests into outer space for a vacation.

cranbiz

Of course I know that, and have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin countless times over the years. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss any connection. It certainly appears a bit tit-for-tat.
I doubt that. Disney relies on Mears for plenty of things both in the past and will in the future (like cruise line transfers, which have not been announced as being permanently terminated). There just isn't enough buses with other companies in Orlando to fill the void. Disney short haul buses can't fill the void either. Drivers are still a big issue and with the layoffs due to Covid, even more. When I was driving, I would say there were no more than 15-20% of the Disney fleet that was inactive at any given day at VM South. Anything not at VM South or FIW was in service, and if not running, was due to driver breaks, shift change or end of day.

Mears is still the big player in buses, you will see them on property, chartered to Disney, when activities like RunDisney, cheer competitions, etc. fully return to normal.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I doubt that. Disney relies on Mears for plenty of things both in the past and will in the future (like cruise line transfers, which have not been announced as being permanently terminated). There just isn't enough buses with other companies in Orlando to fill the void. Disney short haul buses can't fill the void either. Drivers are still a big issue and with the layoffs due to Covid, even more. When I was driving, I would say there were no more than 15-20% of the Disney fleet that was inactive at any given day at VM South. Anything not at VM South or FIW was in service, and if not running, was due to driver breaks, shift change or end of day.

Mears is still the big player in buses, you will see them on property, chartered to Disney, when activities like RunDisney, cheer competitions, etc. fully return to normal.
I agree Mears made their fortune off Disney, they aren't going away anytime soon. Since Mears owns all those buses that they used for DME I can see Mears setting something up along the same lines at MCO with a charge instead of a free trip. That way Disney no longer has to support it directly and they can still have the same service. Disney might be asked to slightly contribute because the Disney name is still on the buses, but compared to before it is parking meter change. I'm not sure how it would work, but there are a number of people out there that make big bucks that are paid to figure these things out.

seascape

I agree Mears made their fortune off Disney, they aren't going away anytime soon. Since Mears owns all those buses that they used for DME I can see Mears setting something up along the same lines at MCO with a charge instead of a free trip. That way Disney no longer has to support it directly and they can still have the same service. Disney might be asked to slightly contribute because the Disney name is still on the buses, but compared to before it is parking meter change. I'm not sure how it would work, but there are a number of people out there that make big bucks that are paid to figure these things out.
The last time I stayed at the Dolphin I usee Mears to and from MCO. In the future I will either use Mears or Lyft.

Tom P.

Things where the tax is paid by the individual consumer as an identified charge. As opposed to business taxes that are assessed on a company and may or may not be passed along to the consumer.
All taxes are passed along to the consumer, whether they are identified as such or not. No business just says, "well, taxes went up, we'll just make do with less money." No, they adjust the pricing of their goods to compensate for the increased tax.

HarperRose

Mears has already announced they will provide a similar service. I'm sure the buses will be re-wrapped to remove the Disney theme.

Goofyernmost

Mears has already announced they will provide a similar service. I'm sure the buses will be re-wrapped to remove the Disney theme.
Don't be to sure. They might ask Disney for a bit of a advertising fee, but there has been to much money made connected everything to WDW to see that not as a normal situation. If Mears does this them might just add a few Universal wraps to the fleet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom