Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

bjlc57

if Mears was smart.. they would wrap all the buses with Universal on them and drive them right to the drop off area at Mk.. and Let ol' Bob take a long look.. and with in two hours.. the Magical express would be back.. because the last thing that the president of coca cola wants to see is a pepsi sign.. and the last thing that Cepak wants to see is take our bus and we may give you a free day at Universal or more..

bjlc57

or, for a better vacation , spend a day at Harry potterville at Universal.. we have a better product.. and we now are the true dreamers..

unmitigated disaster

or, for a better vacation , spend a day at Harry potterville at Universal.. we have a better product.. and we now are the true dreamers..
The problem with Universal is it's not as big a multi-generational park. In 2018 my father was interested in a day there. We looked at everything and concluded that for an 89 year old it just wasn't worth it. I know you probably don't care about the elderly, but lots of us do.

Goofyernmost

The problem with Universal is it's not as big a multi-generational park. In 2018 my father was interested in a day there. We looked at everything and concluded that for an 89 year old it just wasn't worth it. I know you probably don't care about the elderly, but lots of us do.
I'm not sure that there is even a mention of someone that is 89 years old as a target audience. I'm almost 73 and I know that no one cares about designing something for my benefit. I went there for two days in the parks (even stayed at a brand new Uni Resort) in Sept. 2019. I found plenty to do over two days. The people that are older probably never did care all that much for the vomit inducing attractions, I know it never did, but any age, in good health, can experience a lot of things. Because of Disney ridiculous requirements of attending the place on dates determined weeks if not months before, regardless of health or weather, Uni has become a real competitor. They offer many varieties of attractions and are, in most areas, far more creative and entertaining then Disney as of late. It is a younger park setup, but it doesn't preclude older people any more then Disney does now.

Jrb1979

Even with my minimal knowledge of Universal, I can't imagine what you would do for a week there.
Lots. I stayed a week and found lots to do to fill my week. Then again many don't do parks like I do. When I go to any amusement park I always the skip the line pass so I can re-ride attractions multiple times. I rode the Mummy 10 times in 2 days.

mattpeto

I wonder if Mears Connect will consider dropping off guests at a centralized spot (Disney Springs, TTC or a park itself). It would efficiency with moving guests from MCO if they are all going to the same spots (instead of the typical drop off spots of DME which is based on hotel proximity). Of course the luggage handling is the big unknown for now.

Ironically if the drop off spot is not your resort, then Disney and Mears will still need to work together a bit. Does Disney have a policy about their bus transportation not handling luggage?

Here are some potential packages I could see unfold:

Package 1 - 2019 DME: drop you off to hotel or a Park at your choice and handle your Bags to resort bell services.
$100/person (roundtrip)

Package 2- Drop off Disney Springs and they handle your bags (which will arrive at Bell Services at some point in the day)
$75/person (roundtrip)

Package 3 - Drop off Disney Springs, you handle your own bags.
$25/person (roundtrip)

Maybe those Minnie shuttles will assist with DS to resorts for guests coming in. Hopefully there won't be another fee on top of that.

HarperRose

I wonder if Mears Connect will consider dropping off guests at a centralized spot (Disney Springs, TTC or a park itself). It would efficiency with moving guests from MCO if they are all going to the same spots (instead of the typical drop off spots of DME which is based on hotel proximity). Of course the luggage handling is the big unknown for now.

Ironically if the drop off spot is not your resort, then Disney and Mears will still need to work together a bit. Does Disney have a policy about their bus transportation not handling luggage?

Package 1 - 2019 DME: drop you off to hotel or a Park at your choice and handle your Bags to resort bell services.
$100/person (roundtrip)

Package 2- Drop off Disney Springs and they handle your bags (which will arrive at Bell Services at some point in the day)
$75/person (roundtrip)

$25/person (roundtrip)

Maybe those Minnie shuttles will assist with DS to resorts for guests coming in. Hopefully there won't be another fee on top of that.
No luggage allowed on Disney buses.

Goofyernmost

$100/person (roundtrip)

$75/person (roundtrip)

$25/person (roundtrip)

$100.00 per person? A rental is or will be a lot cheaper then that before to long. Maybe $20 per person for package 1. Mass transit, by design has to be cheaper than alternate methods. I don't know what arrangement they have with Mears at the moment but if Mears were to take over the process, they would be the ones absorbing the cost of empty bus travel from MCO to WDW. Disney, probably within a block monthly charge cover that expense now.

Last edited:

mattpeto

$100.00 per person? A rental is or will be a lot cheaper then that before to long. Maybe $20 per person for package 1. Mass transit, by design has to be cheaper the alternate methods. I don't know what arrangement the have with Mears at the moment but if Mears were to take over the process, they would be the ones absorbing the cost of empty bus travel from MCO to WDW. Disney, probably within a block monthly charge cover that expense now.

Just spitballing pricing. Should know more in May for sure.

PirateFrank

if Mears was smart.. they would wrap all the buses with Universal on them and drive them right to the drop off area at Mk.. and Let ol' Bob take a long look.. and with in two hours.. the Magical express would be back.. because the last thing that the president of coca cola wants to see is a pepsi sign.. and the last thing that Cepak wants to see is take our bus and we may give you a free day at Universal or more..

I dont see this ever happening. I think both companies realize that this sort of thing would escalate, and escalate ugly. About 9 year ago, during the promotion of the first Avengers movie - WDW wrapped a monorail with a skin featuring the original 6 avengers (Ironman, Cap, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow & Hawkeye). I suspect Uni had lawyers visiting 1375 Buena Vista Drive in all of about 30 minutes the same day the wrapped monorail left the barn to ensure the train never went inside a theme park (it stayed on inner the resort loop). AFAIK, WDW has not promoted any other marvel movie on a WDW monorail since then. If Universal had a 3rd party driving the equivalent of billboard advertising into the land of purple street signs, I could see Chapek authorizing mobile billboards to drive up and down Universal and I-Drive within a day. Mud would start to sling in online and print ads....it would get stupid, fast.

I suspect there's some variety of understanding between the two companies to stay out of each other's way and allow the rising tide to benefit both ships - especially in the current environment. It's just not worth, IMHO.

While I think it was a dumb move, WDW's decision to let go of DME was not to relinquish an advertising advantage. it was to cut costs - plain and simple. Given the state of things right now, we're going to continue to see every benefit and incentive go away - until they need to bring them back.

Bpmorley

$100.00 per person? A rental is or will be a lot cheaper then that before to long. Maybe $20 per person for package 1. Mass transit, by design has to be cheaper the alternate methods. I don't know what arrangement the have with Mears at the moment but if Mears were to take over the process, they would be the ones absorbing the cost of empty bus travel from MCO to WDW. Disney, probably within a block monthly charge cover that expense now.
To be honest if Mears takes the whole project on. They'll probably change the routine. Like no empty buses, only leaving the airport when they hit a certain percentage. Multiple resort stops per bus.

Disstevefan1

This would be excellent. I would love to see this, LOL 😂

Goofyernmost

Nothing stopping them from having their own assigned buses for Universal. They don't require as many buses and it is closer to MCO is closer to Universal then to Disney. The best they could do is offer Disney a deal to pay to wrap the Disney buses for a whole lot less money then actually operating the service. But, Mears will already have a bunch of buses with the Disney look.

MurphyJoe

I dont see this ever happening. I think both companies realize that this sort of thing would escalate, and escalate ugly. About 9 year ago, during the promotion of the first Avengers movie - WDW wrapped a monorail with a skin featuring the original 6 avengers (Ironman, Cap, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow & Hawkeye). I suspect Uni had lawyers visiting 1375 Buena Vista Drive in all of about 30 minutes the same day the wrapped monorail left the barn to ensure the train never went inside a theme park (it stayed on inner the resort loop). AFAIK, WDW has not promoted any other marvel movie on a WDW monorail since then. If Universal had a 3rd party driving the equivalent of billboard advertising into the land of purple street signs, I could see Chapek authorizing mobile billboards to drive up and down Universal and I-Drive within a day. Mud would start to sling in online and print ads....it would get stupid, fast.

I suspect there's some variety of understanding between the two companies to stay out of each other's way and allow the rising tide to benefit both ships - especially in the current environment. It's just not worth, IMHO.

While I think it was a dumb move, WDW's decision to let go of DME was not to relinquish an advertising advantage. it was to cut costs - plain and simple. Given the state of things right now, we're going to continue to see every benefit and incentive go away - until they need to bring them back.

I'm not entirely certain things would escalate as you wrote. Universal is known to be edgier than Disney and could definitely spin things positively for their resort in this scenario. Disney would benefit more by being somewhat dismissive if anyone brought it up ("Well, when you're the top mouse...") versus escalation. With that said, I don't think Mears would play along with Universal wraps for Disney property and risk losing future business. Let the giant do its thing, and when it's ready to pay again, Mears can be ready to take the contract.

Goofyernmost

To be honest if Mears takes the whole project on. They'll probably change the routine. Like no empty buses, only leaving the airport when they hit a certain percentage. Multiple resort stops per bus.
It's not really all that simple. They can, and maybe do, designate pick up times from WDW to MCO, but Disney cannot control air traffic delays, on times, weather and staff scheduling. That leaves people coming in to MCO at random non-controllable times. You can't have people waiting for three hours hoping some other people will be coming in view shortly. Not sure how it works now, if someone knows, please let me know because I am curious. It will still have a steady reliable departure from MCO to work. Just throwing out numbers having a bus leave every hour immediately replace by another that will leave in 60 minutes. It isn't as crucial coming from WDW to MCO but some consistency has to be there to get it dependable and not ulcer inducing for Guests. Seems like I remember reading someplace that going from WDW to MCO has about a three hour window with most of that wait ending up at the airport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom