UK Pavilion - Queen Elizabeth

The Empress Lilly

Screenshot_20220909-001326_Instagram.jpg

Would be fun if they hung this on their wall

JIMINYCR

She is deserving of a tribute but Disney typically stays away from anything related to a death. They don’t want guests who are vacationing to focus on anything that’s not upbeat and fun. You are supposed to separate yourself from the rest of the world while there.

JIMINYCR

She seems to be loved from all over the world. I admit I don't really follow the royal family, but both my parents said they really liked her and that she was a woman of class and integrity.
She was of the generation where manners mattered, decorum was upheld and how you presented yourself properly in public mattered.
Unlike some of the royal family and our govt officials now who dont care how they are seen in public.

Thepuma

Maybe im far too expectant being a Brit, but I half expected something before the fireworks at Magic Kingdom last night - An announcement, minute silence or even the Union Jack protected on the castle (a lot I know, but this is the USA, the place of dreams!) But there was nothing...infact, I've barely seen it mentioned over here in the last 24 hours other than a brief moment of silence before the first NFL game of the season last night.

So yes, I'd ve very disappointed if they didn't do something in Epcot at the England area.

JohnD

Original Poster
She is deserving of a tribute but Disney typically stays away from anything related to a death. They don’t want guests who are vacationing to focus on anything that’s not upbeat and fun. You are supposed to separate yourself from the rest of the world while there.
Except you are in World Showcase. One would expect the representing nation to do something.

JIMINYCR

Except you are in World Showcase. One would expect the representing nation to do something.
Disney runs the countries pavilions, what is allowed and what is not, not the nation. Disney has always been hesitant to address death. They don’t want to have morbid things to filter into any aspect of WDW. Even Big Red was removed because of this.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
In the past they have done subtle nods to acknowledge somber current events. When the 2015 Paris attacks occured, they lit the Eiffel Tower in red, white, and blue. The night of Pulse, the lighting on the American Adventure was dimmed. There is no reason they couldn't do something similar for the passing of her Majesty.

JohnD

Original Poster
Disney runs the countries pavilions, what is allowed and what is not, not the nation. Disney has always been hesitant to address death. They don’t want to have morbid things to filter into any aspect of WDW. Even Big Red was removed because of this.
Flying a flag at half-staff isn't "morbid". It honors those whose lives have been lost. Flags at all Disney parks are always lowered to half-staff according to flag protocols depending on the person or situation. For example, if not for the 10 days of flags lowered at half-staff for the Queen, flags would have been lowered this Sunday in memory of September 11. When President George H. W. Bush died, flags were lowered for a month as is proper for the passing of a President. This would be no different.

Besides, what you say makes no sense as flags are already lowered at all the parks for the Queen according to established protocols. But you're telling me the UK pavilion couldn't lower a UK flag for her?

Smiley/OCD

Understood, but if there is a body hanging in the HM, the least they could’ve done is to hang the same picture that Steve has at the top of the page…fitting and at the same time, subdued…a nice fitting tribute

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom